OldCoder Hungry Games

OldCoder
Administrator

OldCoder Hungry Games

by OldCoder » Fri May 22, 2015 08:24

I thought I'd try my hand at a Hungry Games world. So, OldCoder Hungry Games is now up and running at:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
World:   OldCoder Hungry Games
Server:  minetest.org
Port:    30014

There are probably bugs to be fixed, so don't expect too much. But I've already fixed one bug in the base mod and this should improve stability.

Interact is on by default. But, to play, you'll need at least one other person present. Both of you should be familiar with the Hungry Games mod, which you can read about at this link:

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=66383

The world is limited to 11 people at a time. If you're inactive for a few minutes, you'll be kicked out automatically to make room.

The world will be reset periodically, so there's not much point to building or griefing there.

Update on May 22, 2015: OldCoder Hungry Games now includes crossbows, pistols, grenades, rifles, rockets, bacon sword, giant spiders, and Senderman (sic).

Have fun in this relaxed vacation paradise :P

If you're experienced with Hungry Games, you can apply for an admin or moderator position. To do so, see me in Inchra or Freenode IRC.

Last edited by OldCoder on Sat Aug 29, 2015 14:26, edited 5 times in total.

programmingchicken

GitHub: ProgrammingChicken
IRC: gamer chicken
In-game: gamerdude

Re: OldCoder Hungry Games

by programmingchicken » Fri May 22, 2015 20:19

Ahem, how do you build a hunger games map?
I'm bold. I'm sarcastic. I'm PChicken.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri May 22, 2015 21:26

For programmingchicken:

1. I don't recommend that you try to build a new Hungry Games map until you're familiar with how the mod works. It's a lot simpler to use the standard map for the mod.

2. The standard map was hosted on Ubuntu One, but that copy is dead now. You can get your own copy of the file and associated files, though, from the following new link:

http://minetest.org/hungrydata.zip

3. In theory, you can build a new Hungry Games map roughly as follows. This is just an outline. Splizard can explain further.

a.If your Hungry Games server is running, stop it.
b. Delete any existing map.sqlite file.
c. Edit configuration settings in hungry_games/init.lua as desired.
d. Start your server. This should generate a new map.
e. Find a good place to build a lobby. This should be an enclosed building with no way out. Build one.
f. Stop your server.
g. Edit hungry_games/init.lua again and set appropriate coordinates for a default spawn point and for the inside of the lobby.
i. Start your server.
j. Add new spawnpoints. For an explanation of what this means, see the code and the online documentation.

4. If you end up underground a lot, a patch to the hungry_games mod is needed. I'm testing the patch myself and may post it later on.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat May 23, 2015 04:34

OldCoder: I highly suggest you use GunshipPenguin's fork of the Hungry Games subgame, you really don't need to fix all those bugs yet again. ;-)
HUD bars are already properly implemented in this work (including hunger and thirst).

https://github.com/GunshipPenguin/hungry_games

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sat May 23, 2015 16:20

Wuzzy, thank you. I'll take a look.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun May 24, 2015 00:48

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun May 24, 2015 08:28

Wuzzy wrote:Skin request

1. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Orange Fuzzy, was he? The skin is now installed in several of my worlds.

2. I might add a skin upload feature. It shouldn't be too difficult.

3. Another option is for players to request skins in-game. If I'm connected by IRC, they can say something like:

"OldCoder, give me this skin..." and add a link or "OldCoder, I want a Five Nights at Bacon skin"

Allow a few days for processing. Note: If I traveling, I may not see requests. Remember to include the words "OldCoder" and "skin". The words "OldCodger" and "OldFooler" won't work :P

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun May 24, 2015 22:35

Expanded is OldCoder Hungry Games
The size is not the sames
It is larger four times
Come and fight before clock chimes

Here are the changes and rearranges:

1. The battle zone is four times larger than before
2. Limit on number of players has been increased
3. You can shoot Sendermen and Giant Spiders now
4. There's a spacious new lobby with a door; you're no longer locked in
5. The start of a parkour area has been added
6. For variety, a building has been added to the battle zone

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue May 26, 2015 15:23

This is a nice little server. I like how you have mashed up various mods together, it makes for interesting gameplay! Quite different from GunshipPenguin's server.

However, I think the cakes are pretty overpowered, and they spawn in masses. It seems they give you full health immediately. Either reduce the healing rate or the likelihood of spawning.
Also, I am unable to eat the 3/4 cake. I can only place it but can't eat it.

Also, could you make it that all chests are refilled every new round? It is kinda frustrating that many crates are empty on start.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Wed May 27, 2015 03:51

Wuzzy, Hi.

Wuzzy wrote:"I think the cakes are pretty overpowered, and they spawn in masses. It seems they give you full health immediately. Either reduce the healing rate or the likelihood of spawning."

1. I've tweaked the settings. If I understand the code correctly, only one cake should appear at a time in a chest now. Let me know if this is the case or not.

Wuzzy wrote:"I am unable to eat the 3/4 cake. I can only place it but can't eat it."

2. Which cake is the "3/4 cake" ? Is this about the carrot cake, the chocolate cake, or something else?

Wuzzy wrote:"Could you make it that all chests are refilled every new round? It is kinda frustrating that many crates are empty on start."

3. There are three ways to refill chests. The one that's designed to refill on restart may slow down restart. For now, I've doubled the refill rate. Tell me if this helps. I'll look at an improved approach later.

4. Other changes:

* The Factions mod has been added
* The cows are temperamental now and may attack
* The giant spiders have a better attack sound
* You can shoot cows and spiders

sloantothebone

by sloantothebone » Fri May 29, 2015 19:47

OldCoder wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:"I am unable to eat the 3/4 cake. I can only place it but can't eat it."

2. Which cake is the "3/4 cake" ? Is this about the carrot cake, the chocolate cake, or something else?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9533
Add the pie knife to chests or remove the pie mod
Also consider adding 1/4. 1/2. and whole pies

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun May 31, 2015 06:57

sloantothebone wrote:"Add the pie knife to chests or remove the pie mod. Also consider adding 1/4. 1/2. and whole pies."

1.The pie knife has been added to chests.

2. More pie types will be added when I identify the item strings.

3. Trees close to the lobby have been trimmed to address another issue that you mentioned elsewhere. Other minor repairs have been made.

4. Adjust your IRC client settings. Inchra IRC has moved for now to: digitalaudioconcepts.com

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 13:53

Damn, it seems I have lost my password on this server, can you reset it?

Also, I would like that you lift the forced passwords on this server. I suppose it is a strong demotivator to join this server, maybe that's why it is almost always empty. People already have to remember FAR TOO MANY freaking passwords. ;-)

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Mon Jun 01, 2015 18:49

Wuzzy wrote:"It seems I have lost my password on this server, can you reset it? Also, I would like that you lift the forced passwords on this server. I suppose it is a strong demotivator to join this server, maybe that's why it is almost always empty."

1. The password has been been reset.

2. I'm not sure that I understand what is meant by "forced passwords". Are you saying that Minetest worlds should not require passwords for accounts? It's a surprising assertion.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 00:38

1: Thanks.

2: I am talking about disallow_empty_password.
If set to true, new users are forced to enter a password.
If set to false, first time users can be allowed to join without password. They still can set a password, but they don't have to.

There are quite many servers which allow this kind of “guest account”, including GunshipPenguin's Hungry Games server. It's more convenient that way.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Tue Jun 02, 2015 01:52

So, you'd suggest not requiring passwords, meaning an end to stable identities. It's not a measure that would be helpful. The interest is appreciated, though.

Splizard

GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Thu Jun 11, 2015 07:27

OldCoder wrote:
For programmingchicken:

1. I don't recommend that you try to build a new Hungry Games map until you're familiar with how the mod works. It's a lot simpler to use the standard map for the mod.

2. The standard map was hosted on Ubuntu One, but that copy is dead now. You can get your own copy of the file and associated files, though, from the following new link:

http://minetest.org/hungrydata.zip

3. In theory, you can build a new Hungry Games map roughly as follows. This is just an outline. Splizard can explain further.

a.If your Hungry Games server is running, stop it.
b. Delete any existing map.sqlite file.
c. Edit configuration settings in hungry_games/init.lua as desired.
d. Start your server. This should generate a new map.
e. Find a good place to build a lobby. This should be an enclosed building with no way out. Build one.
f. Stop your server.
g. Edit hungry_games/init.lua again and set appropriate coordinates for a default spawn point and for the inside of the lobby.
i. Start your server.
j. Add new spawnpoints. For an explanation of what this means, see the code and the online documentation.

4. If you end up underground a lot, a patch to the hungry_games mod is needed. I'm testing the patch myself and may post it later on.

Just to expand on this, there are commands to set the lobby and spawn.
You need to give your self hg_admin privilege (/grant <your_name> hg_admin)
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
/hg set spawn --sets where players respawn on death to your current position
/hg set lobby --sets where the players spawn when they join to your current position
/hg set player_# --set where players start the match, replace # with number (must be set in order to play a match)
eg.
/hg set player_1
--Walk to the next spot
/hg set player_2
--etc

Place some chests around the map and they will fill with items during the game.
Games: The Hungry Games.
Mods: Lifters (Simple Lifts), Snow Biomes and Gates.
Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!
View all of them plus more at http://minetest.splizard.com! (may not always be online).

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Jun 11, 2015 08:11

Splizard, your remarks are appreciated. My take on the _game and the world has worked out O.K. Feel free to stop by and check it out.

I've gone further than Gunship Penguin as I've added mutant spiders that roar (the original sound effect was weak), deadly killer cows (Mooo!), crossbows, shotguns, and grenades, and the start of an area with ruined buildings to hide in. No stacks of burning tires yet. But I'm going for sort of a Mad Max (1980s release) feeling.

I don't have a lot of time for this exercise, but it's been fun regardless. Thank you for providing something interesting to build on.

The Minetest competition that I'd hoped to jumpstart is dead, and possibly Minetest with it, but your work is exactly the sort of thing that we had in mind.

Regards, Robert (the Old Coder)

Screenshot: Killer cow in foreground, deadly spider further back:

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri Jun 12, 2015 01:32

Two players try out new skins in OldCoder Hungry Games: Lightning Hoodie Kid and Trenchcoat Spy:

dianaazura

by dianaazura » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:11

This is a nice little server. I like how you have mashed up various mods together, it makes for interesting gameplay! Quite different from GunshipPenguin's server.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sat Jun 13, 2015 09:08

Thank you; it's kind of you to say this. Suggestions for additional improvements are welcome.

The players want more weapons, of course. For example, they feel that submachine guns would fit right in. But, what next, tactical nukes? I think I'll add more ruins instead. And the dinosaur that somebody is working on if they release it as a mod.

Live hungry dinosaur, ruins to hide in, crossbows and rifles, killer cows, giant spiders. Throw in some robots. Now we're talking.

Return to Minetest Servers