[Mod] Carts [carts]

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Carts [carts]

by Don » Sat Mar 07, 2015 01:06

sofar wrote:
12Me21 wrote:Yeah, that would be good. However, wouldn't it be easier to make another rail to return the minecart to the start?

that would mean rails have to always be circular tracks. In the real world, rails stop, and quite often too.

What if you made an end rail that does what you want it to do. It could make it drop so the vaccuum tube can suck it up.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Sat Mar 07, 2015 07:40

Don wrote:What if you made an end rail that does what you want it to do. It could make it drop so the vaccuum tube can suck it up.

A stair block at the end of rails already accomplishes just that...

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 13:39

sofar wrote:
Don wrote:What if you made an end rail that does what you want it to do. It could make it drop so the vaccuum tube can suck it up.

A stair block at the end of rails already accomplishes just that...

hmm... the problem with that, is it's kind of a bug, so it might be fixed, which would break any rail system that uses it.

poet.nohit

GitHub: poet-nohit

by poet.nohit » Fri Mar 13, 2015 20:56

Or make it so that a piston can push the cart off the track. Something to think about.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:41

Why not just make it so the cart will fall off the end of a rail if there isn't anything in the way?
that would be the simplest and easiest to use solution.

but still, I think it would be better to make a system that doesn't require having the cart drop as an item. just have some kind of loop, so the cart can go back to the beginning, or something.

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 16:23

Hey man, nice mod, totally adds some missing stuff to the game. But before I campaign for Celeron to put this in Minetest, I'd suggest a few features :)

-Collision detection: Collision detection is simply MINEsential for this mod, especially as the Minecraft one HAS that. And, in my opinion, it would add some more life to the carts that's currently desperately missing. At the moment, the carts are good but pretty lifeless. Oh and don't forget your monorails mod has CD also! So why not this, considering this is several times more popular?

-Sitting in the cart: I'm not a fan of having to dig 3 tall tunnel to take in cart-riders without being blindfolded all the way. And anyway, the MC one has this no? And MT is meant to be a substitute for MC no? So plz do this simple thing.

-Cargo carts: This is something that your excellent monorails mod has. And it's gonna look cool also. And (here it comes!!!) MC has this.

-A way to control which way to turn at switches: It's not nice having to either have no switches or a quasi-switch with brake rails and a sign saying "mine ur cat her n plac it wher u wont"(sigh guess I just gave you that idea :D) And also MC DOES NOT HAVE THIS :D

-Y-Switches: Krock's fork of your mod (boost_cart) demonstrates this in texture form. However, with said switching controlling, you can actually make practical use of this. Goto the last sentence of the previous feature request

-A way to "push" the cart when you're on it: Many a minecart I've lost to not being able to get in in time. So I ask, please, please, PLEASE implement this as this is VERY frustrating. You could, you know, like have the player on board face the direction he/she wants to go and point at the cart inside and punch..

-Diagonal rails: Making continuous corners for a diagonal section of rail looks unsightly and also Minecraft Classic (more well known as Manic Digger) has them. Although I know Celeron should have done this, he probably didn't because of the absence of carts. Now, with carts, you can add the appeal of this mod compared to MC's default cart implementation and thus help increase the number of ppl coming to MT with this :D

PLZ respond and add these features Please :)
And sorry if my post is rather confusing or unstructured :) or even offensive :O AND PLEASE CORRECT ANY MISTAKE!!!!

EDIT: Krock's fork's switching one is a WORKING IMPLEMENTATION!!!! EVERYBODY FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!!
Last edited by ABJ on Thu Apr 02, 2015 17:26, edited 2 times in total.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 16:33

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 16:41

TenPlus1 wrote:AbJ: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10172

OMG THAAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and by the way that was just a few seconds? minutes? apart from my post :D
You other people also better check this boost_cart out;It's SUPER cool!

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Thu Apr 02, 2015 16:43

Yeah but it does not contian the following points: (2nd point exists in Jordach's BFD carts version)

ABJ wrote:-Collision detection: <snip>

-Sitting in the cart: <snip>

-Diagonal rails: <snip>

It's quite hard to make diagonal rails and the current directions are already enough for the most uses.

ABJ wrote:You other people also better check this boost_cart out;It's SUPER cool!

Thanks for your interest.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 17:07

Krock wrote:

Yeah but it does not contian the following points: (2nd point exists in Jordach's BFD carts version)

ABJ wrote:-Collision detection: <snip>

-Sitting in the cart: <snip>

-Diagonal rails: <snip>

It's quite hard to make diagonal rails and the current directions are already enough for the most uses.

ABJ wrote:You other people also better check this boost_cart out;It's SUPER cool!

Thanks for your interest.

That diagonal rails thing I didn't mean THAT seriously........It was more of a thing that might make railways look better. But of course you wouldn't guess it :)

But I'm DESPERATE about that sitting in cart thingy, and although I might look up that BFD cart thing, not everybody would. In fact, most people probably wouldn't bother looking at forks. I was more of talking in my more or less former and most peoples current sense :)

Welcome Krock.

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 17:20

PA Wait I forgot! Cart coupling to make cart trains!!!! -will work EXCELLENTLY-until traintest of course :D but thats much later :) for now plz add the cart train feature with a special "control cart" for controlling also.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:21

Krock wrote:It's quite hard to make diagonal rails

There HAS been a pull request to add them: https://github.com/PilzAdam/carts/pull/8
But I've never tested it.

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 14:49

Kilarin wrote:
Krock wrote:It's quite hard to make diagonal rails

There HAS been a pull request to add them: https://github.com/PilzAdam/carts/pull/8
But I've never tested it.

Thats waaaaaaay back in 2013. Sad that PA didn't do anything about it. By the way how do I get the files? And where to put them? (I'm not the best in Github)

freakedenough

by freakedenough » Fri Apr 03, 2015 20:39

I have a problem with this mod, the carts stop moving after 100 blocks.

Thats how my tunnels look alike

ABJ

by ABJ » Sat Apr 04, 2015 09:08

freakedenough wrote:I have a problem with this mod, the carts stop moving after 100 blocks.

Thats how my tunnels look alike

You can add more power rails. Don't worry about the cart overspeeding because it has a good speed limit. I've got a railway network made entirely of power rails and brake rails at station. And carts don't go too fast :)

freakedenough

by freakedenough » Sat Apr 04, 2015 09:22

It seems that those powered rails dont do anything. It doesnt help to add more of them.

ABJ

by ABJ » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:31

freakedenough wrote:It seems that those powered rails dont do anything. It doesnt help to add more of them.

No they do. Cart's can't go 100 nodes if you just push. They need power rails. By the way did you worldedit the power rails in there? Or do you have mesecons enabled?

freakedenough

by freakedenough » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:54

no worldedit and no mesecons enabled. i also tried to use only powerrails
after 100 blocks im standing still.

ABJ

by ABJ » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:23

freakedenough wrote:no worldedit and no mesecons enabled. i also tried to use only powerrails
after 100 blocks im standing still.

Sigh I don't know WHAT to do about that. Try reinstalling.
BTW it's a griefing shame none of the pros are helping him :(

twoelk

by twoelk » Sat Apr 04, 2015 16:37

power rails need a power source.
Use mese blocks or mesecons or blinkyplants or ...

visit a server with carts installed and study the layouts

a screenshot from just a few weeks ago on this very thread showing a staion with meseblocks and buttons to start the cart when sitting inside and blinky plants powering the rails

ABJ

by ABJ » Sun Apr 05, 2015 15:48

twoelk wrote:power rails need a power source.
Use mese blocks or mesecons or blinkyplants or ...

visit a server with carts installed and study the layouts

a screenshot from just a few weeks ago on this very thread showing a staion with meseblocks and buttons to start the cart when sitting inside and blinky plants powering the rails

That's WITH mesecons. Mesecons have all these things. We're talking about non-mesecons powerrails. That said, I've visited many a server with carts installed, and they do not have wires next to the railways. I suggest looking at the area near the spawn with rails of Liberty Land Minetest, and Craig's Server's railway network when it's up and running again.
They don't have wires because they don't have mesecons. I've even successfully ridden a cart on both (though on Liberty Land I got stuck because a deficiency of powerrails and "derailed" on Craig's' :D)

EDIT: And I've got my own personal railway with no wires which actually works with no cart getting stuck at all. If you want, I'll show screenshots even :-)

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 17:02

I believe IF mesecons are inatalled, a power source is needed for each power rail. But if mesecons are not installed, the power rails will work without mesecons. But you still need a power rail every few normal rails. Or thats how they used to work.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 23:41

I usually put 15 normal rails and 1 powered rails, and if you put a bunch of powered rails at the beginning, the cart keeps its speed pretty well, though I think it slows down after a while. I usually use this if I'm low on mese, or need to quickly lay a bunch of rails in un protected areas.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Mon Apr 06, 2015 04:41

FWIW look lag01 on forum and githib, he has a fork which works quite well on a server with many clients. I really don't think I have had much trouble with the mod, ot may have been optimized for heavy client load. Works quite well. I must say, for a quick demonstration go to the Jist Test server and hitch a ride near spawn. Carts are usually backed up at sunrise side of spawn past glass building. Try there to feel optimised used server mode.

ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:37

ExeterDad wrote:I believe IF mesecons are inatalled, a power source is needed for each power rail. But if mesecons are not installed, the power rails will work without mesecons. But you still need a power rail every few normal rails. Or thats how they used to work.

That's my point.

ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:39

maikerumine wrote:FWIW look lag01 on forum and githib, he has a fork which works quite well on a server with many clients. I really don't think I have had much trouble with the mod, ot may have been optimized for heavy client load. Works quite well. I must say, for a quick demonstration go to the Jist Test server and hitch a ride near spawn. Carts are usually backed up at sunrise side of spawn past glass building. Try there to feel optimised used server mode.

I doubt that server is on the public list (At least I don't see it on my in-game list). What is that fork called? And if there is a forum thread can you post link? E|:-)

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:02

ABJ wrote:
maikerumine wrote:FWIW look lag01 on forum and githib, he has a fork which works quite well on a server with many clients. I really don't think I have had much trouble with the mod, ot may have been optimized for heavy client load. Works quite well. I must say, for a quick demonstration go to the Jist Test server and hitch a ride near spawn. Carts are usually backed up at sunrise side of spawn past glass building. Try there to feel optimised used server mode.

I doubt that server is on the public list (At least I don't see it on my in-game list). What is that fork called? And if there is a forum thread can you post link? E|:-)

It should be near the top of the list (it's "just test" not "jist test"), though it does restart every day at 5:30, and takes a while to come back on. (usually it's back at around 6:00)

ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:56

[quote="12Me21"It should be near the top of the list (it's "just test" not "jist test"), though it does restart every day at 5:30, and takes a while to come back on. (usually it's back at around 6:00)[/quote]
Oh that. I remember rails in the flooded tunnel I ended up after descending a waterfall at spawn :( But me no ride cuz no cart and me get bord stif in der so me leeve

GFX_Garage

GitHub: GraphicsGarage
In-game: GFX

by GFX_Garage » Sat May 16, 2015 03:29

If you still need graphics for this, I'd be happy to help.

Here's some of my work:

http://torywright.deviantart.com/
"Well it is an ambiguous enterprise, and fraught with contradiction, but forward, ever forward" ~ Terence McKenna

https://www.youtube.com/user/GraphicsGarage/featured

http://torywright.deviantart.com/

ABJ

by ABJ » Sat May 16, 2015 08:50

Um.....as I've said before, can you please add collision detection?
Or can someone at least fork? With coll-det and cargo carts? :)
(Well I'll personally maybe do that when I'm more learned in this stuff :D but for now, goto above)

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases