[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.34] [mobs]

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [0.4] [mobs]

by TenPlus1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 19:45

Having many mobs on a server will eventually slow everything down so keeping mobs to a minimum is priority... Taming of sheep, cows and pigs is one thing but having them reproduce would eventually have your system crawling towards some major lagg, so I wont be adding reproduction at this time...

4aiman has a good mobs mod that has reproduction if you wish to check it out though:

https://github.com/4aiman/4aimobs

Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [0.4] [mobs]

by Sokomine » Mon Oct 27, 2014 17:38

TenPlus1 wrote:Taming of sheep, cows and pigs is one thing but having them reproduce would eventually have your system crawling towards some major lagg, so I wont be adding reproduction at this time...

They might reproduce according to the availability of food. If there are already too many mobs in a given area, don't reproduce. Unfortionately, such checks cost time as well and might be best done whenever the player does a more complex action.
In my experience, spawning of mobs may get pretty expensive, especially if said mobs care about their sourroundings. This was a major problem for mobf. Having lots of mobs in one area was far less of a problem. It might be diffrent now with entity-entity-collusion.
If I ever get around to it, I plan to add a special breed of animals who stand around most day, don't move a lot, don't spawn by themshelves, can reproduce, and don't jump over fences.
A list of my mods can be found here.

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [0.5] [mobs]

by TenPlus1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:37

Update: Mobs will now float on water and die from falling too high...

DarkgarX

In-game: DarkgarX

by DarkgarX » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47

nice! Thank you

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Wed Nov 05, 2014 16:16

Nice update TenPlus1 !

HeroOfTheWinds

GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Wed Nov 05, 2014 20:53

This mobs mod is really looking like it might become my first pick. Nice job!

Indeed, the api is not friendly toward flying mobs, I tried to edit Simple Mobs once to allow for flying mobs...

I definitely would like to see spawn eggs for a variety of the mobs, particularly the hostile ones and chickens. I'd even be willing to do the code myself if you'd add it.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

GingerHunter797

In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 00:10

Wow! This is the best mobs mod I have seen! Thanks TenPlus1! :D
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

Martin_Devil

GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by Martin_Devil » Fri Nov 07, 2014 05:26

Please, add creeper! :)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 20:59

Adding a creeper would be blatantly copying minecraft...

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Sat Nov 08, 2014 00:58

No GitHub? I was going to fork this and make a pull request...

I made some changes to a local copy to add spawn eggs for all the elemental monsters, dungeon masters, chickens, oerkki(s?), lava flans, and spiders. Additionally, I added drop rates for said creatures to drop said eggs. If this doesn't interest you, that's fine, I still would like to put it on my friend's server anyway. But if you do want it, let me know and I'll PM or post the code. I also was considering making it a config option for whether monsters should drop eggs.

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Sat Nov 08, 2014 07:07

TenPlus1 wrote:Adding a creeper would be blatantly copying minecraft...

You feel so sorry for microsoft?
Well then, even spiders and pretend zobmi (or who is in the deserts) more similar to the player (in green, torn pants). Let them appear all over the map at night.

And what about the skeletons? I'd like to see them, that's cool!

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 14:19

@HeroOfTheWinds, please, do post your changes. WTFPL says you it's Ok.
Creeper is not a "grenish thing that to Shhh and then BOoMs!!!".
Don't want those.
Creeper is a concept.
A concept of sneaking upon a player, make hissing sound and blast your ass if you didn't notice it's approach.

Martin, you probably want to search for "mineclone".
I know you won't do it, though.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Mon Nov 10, 2014 03:34

@4aiman: Alright then, here it is. I added spawn eggs for all hostile mobs, in addition to the chicken. However, I still have to change it so that the regular egg and the chicken spawning egg are the same. I also made textures for all the eggs, and added chances for the mobs to drop eggs upon defeat.
mobs_redo.zip
(350.84 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Hope it's satisfactory!

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:06

#HeroOfTheWinds
I hope your changes will be merged with this mod (good work !)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 13:49

Personally I'd rather keep the spawn eggs separate from the mobs mod itself and not have monsters drop them since it caused mayhem on server before with players collecting and spawning too many monsters in one place causing lag and decimating players in their path...

Some good mods are available though like Mob Catching Ball which will let you catch monsters and animals like pokemon... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10374

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Mon Nov 10, 2014 14:11

Yes, I agree.
Could you make this mod fork and fully adapted for this mod? And add the egg caviar.
It would also be nice to do insturktsiyu tuning HUD mod for your this mod.

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 04:18

Folks,

I have a few questions about how this mod is implemented. I've been trying to tweak a few items to better suit my singleplayer design, but being new to MT/MC and lua, I'm in need of some assistance.

1a) After looking at the lua files for various mobs, I'm trying to understand the numbers in this line (tweaked by me):

"mobs:register_spawn("mobs:dungeon_master", {"default:stone"}, 2, -1, 7000, 1, -100)"

I know that the last value is the level below sea level where the mob will spawn, no higher. I know that one of them has to do with the light level--I think it's the "-1", but I could be wrong. What I'm wanting to do is control the light level at which various mobs will spawn. I tried the SimpleMobs++ mod, but I had Dungeon Masters spawning above ground and INSIDE my base in the middle of the day! Why have a base with doors on it if this can happen?

1b) If the "-1" is the light level, what does this value represent? I thought the values for light ranged from 1 to 15? Is this a special value for, say, "any light level"?

1c) Does the relative placement of the light source have any impact on the spawning potential? In MC, there was some mention at one point about placing torches on the FLOOR, not walls, as mobs only spawned on the floor. By maximizing the intensity of light on the floor itself, you could more effectively prevent mob spawning in highly-enclosed areas like tight caverns. What controls the actual spawning conditions and where is that stored--in the line that I quoted above, or somewhere else, or both?

2) Can non-flying mobs climb ladders, or is this an effective barrier to them? I only play singleplayer right now, so no other players are present.

3) Assuming the answer to Question #2 is "no, they cannot climb", then what is the use for trapdoors in singleplayer mode? Purely aesthetics?

4) Is there a way to have hostile mobs attack each other, similar to what happens with skeletons in MC? I'd like to have this as a possibility.

Thanks for any information you can provide, and please be patient. I'm still learning both minetest and lua.
LodeRunner
Wait...didn't I just explore this cavern?

addi

by addi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 04:28

to 1a look here: https://github.com/tenplus1/mobs/blob/m ... i.lua#L779
this is the great advantage of open source, that you can look into the code if the documentation bad.

function mobs:register_spawn(name, nodes, max_light, min_light, chance, active_object_count, max_height, min_dist, max_dist, spawn_func)

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 04:49

Addi,

addi wrote:to 1a look here: https://github.com/tenplus1/mobs/blob/m ... i.lua#L779
this is the great advantage of open source, that you can look into the code if the documentation bad.

function mobs:register_spawn(name, nodes, max_light, min_light, chance, active_object_count, max_height, min_dist, max_dist, spawn_func)

Wow, thanks for the quick service! I knew that I'd seen the parameter names somewhere, but I was just tired enough that I couldn't locate the exact place.

This would seem to confirm my comment about the "-1" having special significance, as you can't have a luminosity of -1 in the real world AFAIK.

Any additional thoughts, folks?
LodeRunner

AMMOnym

IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Sun Nov 23, 2014 15:27

Hello,
Could someone give me image, where is showed parts of the mobs ?? I want to make new textures :)

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Mon Nov 24, 2014 21:36

AMMOnym wrote:Hello,
Could someone give me image, where is showed parts of the mobs ?? I want to make new textures :)

Just download the mod and edit the textures inside the textures folder. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which parts are which, either.

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Thu Nov 27, 2014 05:25

I'm having a small problem with chicken eggs.

Over the past few hours of game time, my section of the map has been overrun by chickens. While the chickens themselves are not always present, I can't walk 2 feet without running into 18 or so eggs. Literally, it looks like snow out there on the hills. I dialed back the egg dropping random number by about 4x, but that doesn't remove all the eggs currently littering the landscape.

1) Is there a way to remove ONLY the eggs from the game and thereby reset the local landscape? I'd like to preserve the rest of the game state.
2) Can this mod be updated to "un-spawn" eggs after a time? In reality, they would obviously go bad anyway.

Thanks for the help, folks!
LodeRunner

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 09:05

If you have WorldEdit installed on your standalone game you could use that to select an area and remove eggs... e.g

//p set
//replace mobs:egg air

1st commang lets you set the area by punching 2 nodes (top left, bottom right or area)
2nd command replaces any eggs with air

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Thu Nov 27, 2014 18:09

TenPlus1,

Hello and thanks for the tip. This is the second time that someone has suggested WorldEdit to solve a particular problem, so I think I'll have a look at it.

By punching two nodes, I'm assuming you're referring to when I'm looking at the map, not when I'm actually in-game. Am I correct?

Thanks again for your help. I've learned some helpful things from reading your posts in the Mods subforum.
LodeRunner

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Nov 27, 2014 18:42

WE runs ingame, so you indeed punch nodes ingame, may need some practice on non valueable worlds as WE is a very powerfull tool to wreck a map easily.

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Fri Nov 28, 2014 01:38

twoelk,

Thanks for the clarification. I have since read the on-line tutorial and have installed it, so I have a better idea about how it functions. Sorry for being such a noob there for a moment. I'll see what I can do.

I did have some luck solving this problem by using the mod that removes "unknown" items. (I forget the name of it). I changed the lua script and added mob:egg and it cleared out just the eggs, which is what I needed.

Thanks again for the additional instructions!
LodeRunner

abcd_z

by abcd_z » Mon Dec 01, 2014 23:40

I haven't seen any mobs on the overworld, day or night.

I used the "/spawnentity mobs:sheep" command to spawn a sheep. It worked, but I also got the error "15:29:11: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "yaw" inside a function at /home/brenco/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:447".

I was exploring when I saw some sort of bipedal mob floating in the water, but as I approached it disappeared and gave me the exact same error.

I'm running the daily build from the PPA and the version number is 201411302216-0~3117~ubuntu14.04.1

Any idea what this problem is and how to fix it?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 08:50

Will update fix shortly...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 20:16

0.6 released with new multi-textures for mobs... chickens, oerkki, dungeon master and rats have random skins selected when spawning so they have different looks in-game...

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 06:04

TenPlus1,

I noticed something yesterday while testing out an unrelated mod. The Sand Monsters (and Stone, I think) don't appear to do any damage to the player. They just appear to ram into you over and over, doing no harm. The Tree Monsters definitely hurt you, and the Dirt Monsters I think do. I'll try to check this out more thoroughly.

Any ideas? There's no error, they just don't seem to do anything hurtful (other than annoy the heck out of you when you're digging / mining).
LodeRunner

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases