Convert Minecraft maps to Minetest worlds

Loadable maps as opposed to OldCoder's zoomable maps
RHR

GitHub: RHRhino

Re: Convert whole Minecraft maps

by RHR » Mon Mar 14, 2016 19:42

Nathan.S wrote:Images all seem to be working for me.

Yeah I replaced them with the new uploads.

sofar wrote:now it works, how strange indeed!.

Great screenshots, thanks for sharing!

Please consider filing an issue for the missing mesa blocks, perhaps we can find a suitable replacement mod for those nodes.

I will take a look though the world and make a list of all problems I can find as soon as I have more free time. Right now I'm too busy for that.

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Convert whole Minecraft maps to Minetest!

by sofar » Wed Mar 23, 2016 20:21

For hardened clay, I'm using the version from oOChainLynxOo/hardenedclay. The textures aren't that pretty, though.

sofar

Re: Convert Minecraft maps to Minetest worlds

by sofar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 00:08

I've also added LNJplus' carpet mod, making the conversion even further complete.

In progress is ItemFrames, even, I think I can make it work....

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 02:14

It would be nice for those with only very basic tech-skills, to have more detailed instructions?
In layman's terms, I mean.
An average user is not going to have any idea how to use this / make it work (such as myself). I have tried a couple times now, (even read your vague instructions) and have failed each time to get it to even begin, and it is very frustrating.
This happens all the time, especially in things Linux related, coders / devs seem to forget that most users will not understand vague instructions.
What seems completely understandable and easy to comprehend for you, is probably not so for most end users.
This is not meant in any way as an insult, it is merely to point out that any users without coding experience are not going to be able to understand how to utilize your awesome mod.
I know I, myself would love to be able to use / try it, but I have become greatly frustrated trying to figure out how.
The same for the MC texture converter
Flick?... Flick who?

sofar

by sofar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 02:24

thegreatone wrote:It would be nice for those with only very basic tech-skills, to have more detailed instructions?
In layman's terms, I mean.
An average user is not going to have any idea how to use this / make it work (such as myself). I have tried a couple times now, (even read your vague instructions) and have failed each time to get it to even begin, and it is very frustrating.
This happens all the time, especially in things Linux related, coders / devs seem to forget that most users will not understand vague instructions.
What seems completely understandable and easy to comprehend for you, is probably not so for most end users.
This is not meant in any way as an insult, it is merely to point out that any users without coding experience are not going to be able to understand how to utilize your awesome mod.
I know I, myself would love to be able to use / try it, but I have become greatly frustrated trying to figure out how.
The same for the MC texture converter

I understand. I'm a 15+ year linux user and 10+ linux developer, so I totally get it that :)

I'll try and see if I can make things easier. But please, do tell me what issues you're running into - if you must. join IRC and ask me in chat to help you walk through it. There may very well be a big bug that I need to fix, and without us trying together it's likely hard to spot the error.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 02:36

Thank you, I very much appreciate it.
I'm unable to IRC until a couple days from now about it, I will post the output of the error but won't e able to until Monday (eastern US time)
And yeh, I've been using Linux since 2007, and became involved on the dev side as a graphics designer / artist, with PCLinuxOS and Granular, and have done only some basic tech work such as maintaining some packages. But I am far from a coding guru, I just fiddle around with stuff till I break it or fix my issues :D
I have been playing around with the lua in a bunch of mods for minetest, as I am working on a complete, overall TP and have run into issues with double textures for a single item, as well as some mods using over-ride funtions which effect default textures which imo is not a good way to go,as it interferes with anyone who wants to put a TP together, it all becomes rather frustrating and annoying.
But, the upside is, it is all helping me to understand lua more. I'm not afraid to screw anything up :P

PS, not sure if I may be the "big bug" in my issue though haha
Flick?... Flick who?

sofar

by sofar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 03:00

FYI I changed the texture pack converter to use "Zenity" so you get easy to follow dialog windows. Please give it a try - I'll try to add some more elaborate instructions on how to "deploy" it in the forum post as well. Hopefully that will really help users.

For mcimport, which is a python project, I can probably do something similar. The problem with the importer is that it's heavily dependent on python version, which means lots of error checking is needed.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 03:14

sofar wrote:FYI I changed the texture pack converter to use "Zenity" so you get easy to follow dialog windows. Please give it a try - I'll try to add some more elaborate instructions on how to "deploy" it in the forum post as well. Hopefully that will really help users.

For mcimport, which is a python project, I can probably do something similar. The problem with the importer is that it's heavily dependent on python version, which means lots of error checking is needed.

Again, thank you very much. And especially for the quick attention, it is very appreciated. And yes, python code is more dangerous and problematic than a python snake, which is pretty odd.
It is definitely always a good thing to make things user friendly, it makes your artistry much more open to be appreciated by more people.
I know my problem is that when attempting to use it I d/l the importer and extracted it. But I have no idea what to do from there.
I downloaded a MC map ( a huge one haha imperial city, I know I should probably pack a lunch) but from here I have no idea what to do, where to place the Imperial city folder, or the mcimport folder, etc. it is all the in between steps I cannot figure out. It is much like if I gave you a hammer, and a piece of wood and said "Here, now you can build a house". :P
I mean, I kNOW this is a great work, I just don;t know how to use it :P
Flick?... Flick who?

sofar

by sofar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 05:05

thegreatone wrote:I know my problem is that when attempting to use it I d/l the importer and extracted it. But I have no idea what to do from there.
I downloaded a MC map ( a huge one haha imperial city, I know I should probably pack a lunch) but from here I have no idea what to do, where to place the Imperial city folder, or the mcimport folder, etc. it is all the in between steps I cannot figure out. It is much like if I gave you a hammer, and a piece of wood and said "Here, now you can build a house". :P
I mean, I kNOW this is a great work, I just don;t know how to use it :P

I'll be making a few more changes, but I've already added a zenity-based wrapper to guide you through the conversion process. You will need to *unzip* the minecraft world somewhere, and then start the converter and point it at the right folder location.

Can you re-read the newly posted instructions (above the first screenshot) and follow them? And please let me know how far you get...

It's not entirely finished just yet, but worth to test already now that I'm fixing it up.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 05:38

Ahhhhhh,,,, so much better/er now. It is running. Much cleaner process and again. step v step.
Hindsight... mmmmaybe I shoulda picked a smaller MC map to test with... this one (Imperial city) may take a while...
Meet back here in say, three years so I can let ya know how it went??? :D

Anyway, the script is working atm so as soon as it finished I will post.
Thank you so much for the quickness in which you addressed this, and for how fast you applied these changes... true quality stuff all around.

PS
not sure yet if you added it in already but, the fact that the user can safely close the window once the script begins to work is great. And would be even better if there were a way to give a notification once it has finished converting, as well as a way to open the new file from the notification?
I don;t ask "too" much now... do I :P
Flick?... Flick who?

sofar

by sofar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 05:45

thegreatone wrote:not sure yet if you added it in already but, the fact that the user can safely close the window once the script begins to work is great. And would be even better if there were a way to give a notification once it has finished converting, as well as a way to open the new file from the notification?

I pushed one more change that does the following:

- after conversion failure, show an error message (and give up)
- after conversion success, ask the user if they want mods to be auto-downloaded (yes|no)
- if yes, another window shows mod download progress.
- once finished, display a "finished" message

The downloaded mods go into world/worldmods, so they are custom for the converted world and you need to do the step for each converted world.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 05:47

that's pretty awesome!
Flick?... Flick who?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 06:37

I downloaded a much smaller map and it already finished, and the notification popped up and (as you said) asked ifI want to install the mods for this world, etc. and it works.
I need to copy (or move-either way) the mods from the game which I do not have, into my /minetest/mods folder, then just enable them in that world...
This is so much easier and straight forward now. Very impressive!

Imperial city also finished overnight while I was asleep, and the notification window was there to greet me, and ask if I would like to d/l the world mods....
Both of your conversion programs are imo..., "perfect" and 100% user friendly.
Great work!!!! and thank you very much
Flick?... Flick who?

mongus

by mongus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 09:16

So following on from the post I made in the wrong thread, I have converted a world that appears to be completely empty.

Sofars suggestion to check the coordinates does seem to provide a clue as to what is going on. My minecraft world is at 5642, 21, -2094 which is a long way from 0,0,0. I have tried teleporting to 5642, 21, -2094 but this doesn't seem to help. Could it be that minetest prunes this part of the map away as soon as I start?

The minimap doesn't appear to work on the map. Switching on free movement and noclip doesn't seem to help either, from what I can tell. (I fully accept I may be doing something completely wrong - I am far from an expert in Mine* games.)

Would there be a way to set the spawn location manually within the map?

I have attached the map (minus the mods) here.

Thanks.
Attachments
insurance.tar.gz
(174.43 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

twoelk

by twoelk » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:00

In the first post of this thread Sofar wrote:Note: The map will be 180 degrees rotated (N in MC will end up S in MT), and offset by (1, -65,0) or so... can't help that at this point.

+ So I started the Minetestmapper and mapped the world in the download link above:

hope this helps ;-P
Attachments
Map-insurance-2016-04-12T11.48.42.png
Map-insurance-2016-04-12T11.48.42.png (32.26 KiB) Viewed 7904 times

mongus

by mongus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:35

Yes that helps a lot! I was teleporting to the wrong place. Teleporting to -5642, 21, -2094 brings me to the map. The conversion has been pretty much immaculate!

Great work. Thanks.

sofar

by sofar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 14:48

Ahh excellent. Yes, the X coordinates will be swapped - this is due to the difference in coordinate systems. Glad you found the place alright!

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 16:11

mongus wrote:Yes that helps a lot! I was teleporting to the wrong place. Teleporting to -5642, 21, -2094 brings me to the map. The conversion has been pretty much immaculate!

Great work. Thanks.

yep, Sofar's recent tweaks have made his two conversion projects simply awesome and incredibly fun to use.
Flick?... Flick who?

sofar

by sofar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 06:42

Update: I've added automatic map light updating to the converter. The map light gets updated in-game as the blocks are loaded in the game for the first time. This makes converted maps look a lot better now:

"Despair Island", a game-focused map (texture pack converted by mcresconvert) (http://minecraftbuildinginc.com/despair-island/)
Last edited by sofar on Wed May 04, 2016 18:40, edited 2 times in total.

theHalfBloodStanger

GitHub: smeagolthellama

by theHalfBloodStanger » Wed May 04, 2016 13:02

Just an idea, but couldn't it be convenient to convert the programming into c++/c? It would be much faster.
Just an idea from an inexperienced programmer.
It is true! God Is Not Dead, He is alive, and king of the universe!

And by the way, Linux is the best OS.

sofar

by sofar » Wed May 04, 2016 14:09

theHalfBloodStanger wrote:Just an idea, but couldn't it be convenient to convert the programming into c++/c? It would be much faster.
Just an idea from an inexperienced programmer.

yes, and that's what likely will happen - people have already written c++ converters and we'll likely port all the code changes over.

MinisterFarrigut

by MinisterFarrigut » Tue Dec 27, 2016 03:29

Dang its so weird. Minecraft maps look better in Minetest than Minecraft XD!!!

Schmeldric

In-game: Schmeldric

by Schmeldric » Thu Jan 26, 2017 17:44

Hi!

I'm facing a "small" issue with this converter (great thanks for the work by the way).
I seems to me that what is called "north" in Minecraft (Z negative) becomes south in Minetest (which is logic since Minetest choosed Z positive for north).

Who bothers will you ask?
Well, I'm working with my students on a model of our town. We did parts of the town using the north as choosen in Minetest. But the whole town is a huge task.
So I found some help in using a service provided by IGN (french cartographers) who will provide a Minecraft version of a real France area. Great! So I got that map, converted it in Minetest, and... and if I do worldedit copy/paste the buildings are facing the wrong direction.

I know worldedit has the rotate option. That could be a solution, but my 13 years old student will have to learn to use it correctly.
I tried to edit the "block.py" file in order to have the conversion put north the right side. For now
- I know how to put the 16x16x16 blocks at the good place;
- but inside these blocks I have to also do a symetry : x = 15-x and z=15-z

For this problem, I tried to change line 231 " x, y, z = te["x"], te["y"], te["z"] " to " x, y, z = 15-te["x"], te["y"], 15-te["z"] " but failed.
Seems the blocks aren't taken one by one but converted as massive data.
I think the solution is in the "def extract_slice(data, yslice):" (line 150). During the conversion I'll have to cover X and Z the other way around.
The method's comment says "# Beware: impossible to understand code" so I'm now trying to figure out how it's working, but if one of you already solved that, it would really help me...

OR : there is a reverse_X_axis method called. Would replacing it by a reverse_Z_axis work?

sofar

by sofar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 22:54

Schmeldric wrote:So I found some help in using a service provided by IGN (french cartographers) who will provide a Minecraft version of a real France area. Great! So I got that map, converted it in Minetest, and... and if I do worldedit copy/paste the buildings are facing the wrong direction.

Yup, have been breaking my head over it as well. I've been unable to solve it myself. I'm hoping we can make the C++ converter not make this mistake and push the content detail to that, since I doubt we'll maintain the python version - it is just so much slower.

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Fri Jan 27, 2017 06:43

Hi, I'm the author of that "impossible to understand code" :).
Line 231 you're talking about is used for tile entities, which are not the bulk node data, so changing it is needed, but won't change much.
The solution is indeed in extract_slice; the idea of the code in it is just to reverse the order of the axes. For that, we process the positions in the order we want them in the output, and we compute the input positions that correspond to it by increasing with the xstride each time.

Schmeldric

by Schmeldric » Tue Feb 14, 2017 07:48

Hourray!

After spending many night hours I think I got it the right way around...

My first try was to change the "extract_slice" and "extract_slice_half_bytes" functions to read the nodes the other way around.Althought I think I understood the code, my maths didn't word :'(
Nota :
MC uses "blocks" as voxels in a 16x16x128 chunk
MT uses "nodes" as voxels in 16x16x16 blocks...

So I tried another way.

> In MTMap.save : changed
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
(self.getBlockAsInteger((block.pos[0],block.pos[1],block.pos[2])),
to
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
(self.getBlockAsInteger((-block.pos[0],block.pos[1],-block.pos[2])),

in order to get a first rotation. This puts the MT blocks at their right place, but didn't rotate their content.

> Instead of reversing X axis (MC and MT uses left/right "trièdre" - sorry, didn't find the english for that) , I reversed Z axis
In MCBlock.reverse_X_axis and MCBlock.expand_half_bytes (yeah, data on u12 ... so easy...) I changed the order data was read, reversing Z instead of X.
By the way : I think this code could be optimised but I'm not used enought to Python
        l2 = l[locSt:locSt+16]
        for i in l2:
            l3.append(i)

So... Do you want my file?

sofar

by sofar » Tue Feb 14, 2017 21:02

Schmeldric wrote:Hourray!

After spending many night hours I think I got it the right way around...

My first try was to change the "extract_slice" and "extract_slice_half_bytes" functions to read the nodes the other way around.Althought I think I understood the code, my maths didn't word :'(
Nota :
MC uses "blocks" as voxels in a 16x16x128 chunk
MT uses "nodes" as voxels in 16x16x16 blocks...

So I tried another way.

> In MTMap.save : changed
(self.getBlockAsInteger((block.pos[0],block.pos[1],block.pos[2])),
to
(self.getBlockAsInteger((-block.pos[0],block.pos[1],-block.pos[2])),

in order to get a first rotation. This puts the MT blocks at their right place, but didn't rotate their content.

> Instead of reversing X axis (MC and MT uses left/right "trièdre" - sorry, didn't find the english for that) , I reversed Z axis
In MCBlock.reverse_X_axis and MCBlock.expand_half_bytes (yeah, data on u12 ... so easy...) I changed the order data was read, reversing Z instead of X.
By the way : I think this code could be optimised but I'm not used enought to Python
        l2 = l[locSt:locSt+16]
        for i in l2:
            l3.append(i)

So... Do you want my file?

I'll take it - can you make a PR? If not, throw the file on gist.github.com and post the URL.

Schmeldric

by Schmeldric » Tue Feb 14, 2017 23:24

Euh... What's a PR ? Personal Release on Github?

Schmeldric

by Schmeldric » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:16

sofar

by sofar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 19:14

well, it works, but it does remove all the custom door/water code I added... Did you do that on purpose or did you just edit an older version?

There's some great git how-to documents how this git/github stuff all works.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Maps