[Map] Karsthafen

Loadable maps as opposed to OldCoder's zoomable maps
solars

Karsthafen

by solars » Sun Sep 07, 2014 23:53

Thanks for the compliments!

And it's done! The first city on the map is finished after 16 months of construction time: Karsthafen. So, it's time for a new version of the download. :)
If you find errors in the city himself, please write it in this thread, so I can correct it to the next version.

Here is a map of the of the city and the surrounding area:

All the other things on the map are not finished yet.
And there will be a second bigger city in the future near the kings castle.

And here is the download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/npml3e3brsjgktr/karsthafen_2014-09-08.tar.gz?dl=0

Have fun in Karsthafen!

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 8. September)

by solars » Wed Sep 10, 2014 20:43

I had made an error at the minimum requirements for the map. Minetest 0.4.10 don't work! It must be Minetest 0.4.10-dev!

With the Version I had build at the day 0.4.10 was public from the source, it works, but with the stable versions for Windows and the Version from Debian Testing, it DON'T WORK! In the stable Versions, the map-generator destroys the buildings.

At Linux, the Version from the sourcecode works. At Windows, the latest builds from sfan5 works. You can find the Versions from sfan5 there: http://sfan5.pf-control.de/minetest-builds/?f.

A script, that build the actual version in the active folder on linux:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
wget https://github.com/minetest/minetest/tarball/master -O master.tar.gz
tar xf master.tar.gz
rm master.tar.gz
mv minetest-minetest-* minetest
cd minetest
cd games/
wget https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/tarball/master -O minetest_game.tar.gz
tar xf minetest_game.tar.gz
rm minetest_game.tar.gz
mv minetest-minetest_game-* minetest_game
cd ..
cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1
make -j2

I apologize for the error in the description, that don't let you play the map correctly.

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 8. September)

by solars » Wed Sep 10, 2014 22:02

To make it easyer, I had build a new version for the older versions of Minetest, that presents the city on a singlenode world. Its only the central area with Karsthafen, Devils Tower and the tennis court. Outside the area, the landscape will not be generatet and in the Devils Tower, you can't find the things in the underground.

The complete map for Minetest 0.4.10-dev or newer from 8. September: https://www.dropbox.com/s/npml3e3brsjgktr/karsthafen_2014-09-08.tar.gz?dl=0

The incomplete map with only the central area for Minetest 0.4.9-dev and 0.4.10 from 11. September: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s7ty4kufitmpmp/karsthafen_singlenode_2014-09-11.tar.gz?dl=0

I hope, this is a good for everyone.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 11. September)

by Inocudom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 04:29

Your creations are absolutely fascinating. I am curious about how your creative genius works, for though I am a skilled builder, I have yet to reach anywhere near your level.

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 11. September)

by solars » Fri Sep 19, 2014 18:14

Thanks for the big compliment. :)

Today, I have drawn a route map of the subway:

I hope, the map is helpfull. ;)

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen

by solars » Mon Jan 19, 2015 23:27

Its a long time ago, that I shown something new from Karsthafen. But the map is not dead, it grows slowly...

At the moment, I'am building the little village "Jägerhof":

Its a town near the Jagdschloss with only log lodges and wooden houses in it.
Dinnae bother wi mah poor english, but hae a keek at th' pics 'o mah pure dead brilliant map Karsthafen:
English thread: [Map] Karsthafen
German thread: [Map] Karsthafen - Diskussionsthread

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:47

Some recents progress shown on the german thread : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9706&start=25 ... are not presented here, unfortunally.

Good work anyhow ;)

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Jan 20, 2015 19:58

Wow, those Jägerhof-houses look great!
But somehow, the desert does not fit well with wood, I hope you can add some green parts there.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

YoukaiCountry

GitHub: nbcwell

by YoukaiCountry » Thu Jan 22, 2015 07:41

Wow, this map is a blast to explore! I stumbled upon the terrifying / beautiful tower that goes really high into the air, and really far underground! (I'm guessing that's the devil's tower :p )

Also, I am on 4.11-dev, and the terrain generator was overtaking a lot of things (the tennis courts, the roads, etc), so I had to switch it to a singlenode world to see everything properly.

Great work, can't wait for more updates!

YoukaiCountry

by YoukaiCountry » Fri Jan 23, 2015 05:53

I fell in love with this map, and the wonderful creations it contained, but I don't really know a lot of German.
I wanted to be able to read all the signs posted around this map, so I decided to translate them.

I wrote a program to extract the text from every sign to a file. I ran that through Google translate to produce an English version of the file, then another program I made to write the data back into the map. Now there is an English version of the map!

The translation is spotty at times, since it was automated. Some things it couldn't figure out, others seem like they could be worded better, but all in all the map is much easier to understand for English speakers.

English map:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/212 ... -08_eng.7z

I also posted the translation file to github. If anyone wants, they can clean up/improve the English translation file and I can write it back into the map:
https://github.com/nbcwell/karsthafen_translation

Also I will clean up the tools and release them at some point in the near future so anyone can translate any Minetest map!

I hope this is helpful. Thanks again for the cool map solars, and if you are opposed, I can take this down.
Have fun!

solars

by solars » Sun Jan 25, 2015 20:01

jp wrote:Some recents progress shown on the german thread : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9706&start=25 ... are not presented here, unfortunally.

And in the "Post your buildings" thread too...

But when the first group of houses (damn, what is Hausblock in english...) in Königsdorf is finished, it will be here not only with images, for download too. I hope, I will found people who will build houses for Königsdorf too with it...
But for this houses, I need much of time to build...

jp wrote:Good work anyhow ;)

Thanks!

Krock wrote:Wow, those Jägerhof-houses look great!
But somehow, the desert does not fit well with wood, I hope you can add some green parts there.

Thanks. The desert theme is not dominant in the area. In a overview picture, you can see it:
The finished street in the east is behind the city and goes to the Jagdschloss, the castle you see in the background. It goes to the wood. And right in the front will be an street to the Fairyland, through the wood too. The desert theme don't look too well with this town. I hope the small desert-stripe will not too annoying.

YoukaiCountry wrote:Wow, this map is a blast to explore! I stumbled upon the terrifying / beautiful tower that goes really high into the air, and really far underground! (I'm guessing that's the devil's tower :p )

Thanks! And yes it is the Devils Tower. In future versions of the map will be a labyrinth under this tower too. :)

YoukaiCountry wrote:Also, I am on 4.11-dev, and the terrain generator was overtaking a lot of things (the tennis courts, the roads, etc), so I had to switch it to a singlenode world to see everything properly.

This is a problem! I don't know, why this is. At my computer it works with this version. I hope at the finished 0.4.11 it will work everywhere...
When I set more tiles to the file, it works fine everywhere, but then the map is over 1 GB big. The original map on my computer is over 7GB big!
I wish, there where a tool to make the maps little automatically.

YoukaiCountry wrote:Great work, can't wait for more updates!

Thanks. The next version will come in a few months. At the moment, I'am very slow at building on the map... But it will come.

YoukaiCountry wrote:I wrote a program to extract the text from every sign to a file. I ran that through Google translate to produce an English version of the file, then another program I made to write the data back into the map. Now there is an English version of the map!

This is wonderfull! A great idea!

YoukaiCountry wrote:The translation is spotty at times, since it was automated. Some things it couldn't figure out, others seem like they could be worded better, but all in all the map is much easier to understand for English speakers.

Its better as I had thought from google-translater... The graveyard is in english funny too.

YoukaiCountry wrote:I also posted the translation file to github. If anyone wants, they can clean up/improve the English translation file and I can write it back into the map

Yes, that would be good. I will post this in the German Karsthafen thread too.

YoukaiCountry wrote:Also I will clean up the tools and release them at some point in the near future so anyone can translate any Minetest map!

Yeeeeeessssss! :)
I can't wait. :D
Thank you very much. This is realy realy great!

YoukaiCountry wrote:I hope this is helpful. Thanks again for the cool map solars, and if you are opposed, I can take this down.

It is helpful. And I like things like this. For this reason, I have set the map under the "CC by sa"-licence from the start.

YoukaiCountry wrote:Have fun!

You too. :) And YoukaiCountry is a great nicname. I should build a flying land for Youkai in the map too. Maybe above the fairyland.

Oh, and I have edited the english map in the first posting of this thread. Thanks again YoukaiCountry.
Dinnae bother wi mah poor english, but hae a keek at th' pics 'o mah pure dead brilliant map Karsthafen:

YoukaiCountry

by YoukaiCountry » Mon Jan 26, 2015 20:01

solars wrote:In future versions of the map will be a labyrinth under this tower too. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun! I discovered a few hallways and a train station deep down, I am guessing that is the start?

solars wrote:The next version will come in a few months. At the moment, I'am very slow at building on the map... But it will come.

I'm looking forward to it! There's still so much for me to discover in the current version though, so I'll survive :) Take your time!

solars wrote:I should build a flying land for Youkai in the map too. Maybe above the fairyland.

That would be really cool. I'd definitely love that!

solars wrote:Oh, and I have edited the english map in the first posting of this thread. Thanks again YoukaiCountry.

Great, so glad you like it! I am going to change the output file format a little bit, and make the tools a little more user friendly, then I'll release them. Not sure how long it will take, but I'd like to open source my Minetest reading/writing library as well as this sign translation program. I think it would be helpful to the community.

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (now in google-translator-english too)

by sofar » Sun Feb 01, 2015 21:41

No matter what I do, the mapgen overwrites existing blocks in the map with newly generated terrain.... roads are mostly destroyed, buildings get holes in them, it's a disaster. 0.4.11+ git build (as of 1/30/15).

Any ideas how to fix this? I can load with "singlenode" but that leaves nasty voids that are unsightful

jp

by jp » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21

sofar wrote:No matter what I do, the mapgen overwrites existing blocks in the map with newly generated terrain.... roads are mostly destroyed, buildings get holes in them, it's a disaster. 0.4.11+ git build (as of 1/30/15).

Strange, I can't reproduce that... 0.4.11+ git build (as of 02/01/15). The disaster may come from your config.

RHR

GitHub: RHRhino

by RHR » Mon Feb 02, 2015 14:25

sofar wrote:No matter what I do, the mapgen overwrites existing blocks in the map with newly generated terrain.... roads are mostly destroyed, buildings get holes in them, it's a disaster. 0.4.11+ git build (as of 1/30/15).
Any ideas how to fix this? I can load with "singlenode" but that leaves nasty voids that are unsightful

It works fine for me. Are you sure that you are using singlenode, because this mapgen does not create any terrain. Do you use mods that modify the world?

jp

by jp » Mon Feb 02, 2015 15:17

RHR wrote: Are you sure that you are using singlenode, because this mapgen does not create any terrain.

Nope. Karsthafen uses a V6 mapgen.

RHR

GitHub: RHRhino

by RHR » Mon Feb 02, 2015 16:12

jp wrote:
RHR wrote: Are you sure that you are using singlenode, because this mapgen does not create any terrain.

Nope. Karsthafen uses a V6 mapgen.

Yes that's what I meant: "The map Karsthafen uses a V6 mapgen, but the mapgen singlenode does not create any terrain." So if there is terrain generation it must be mapgen v6 or mods which generate terrain in singlenode.

YoukaiCountry

by YoukaiCountry » Tue Feb 03, 2015 00:55

I get issues with terrain generating wrongly and overwriting things as well. I'm not using any mods with the map. I am using the 64-bit build, could it be that? Alternatively, could there be hardware issues causing different random numbers to come out of the generator or noise function, I wonder.
There should be a flag bit set on each block that says that it has already been generated, so either it is being ignored or isn't set (or I am mistaken about the purpose of the generated flag).

solars

by solars » Tue Feb 03, 2015 22:12

If I have enough time next weekend, I will see, if I can upload a very big full version of the map anywhere.

Have anybody a hint for a free page for the upload of very big files?

The image this time: The actual building ground in Königsdorf:

YoukaiCountry

by YoukaiCountry » Wed Feb 04, 2015 22:27

https://mega.co.nz gives you 50 gb to work with.
Also, using 7zip gives decent compression to Minetest maps to keep the size as low as possible.

solars

by solars » Sun Feb 08, 2015 17:11

The new version is now ready for download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjstrLpadt6TGtkRG9BbVFDNU0/view?usp=sharing

The download is very big (1,5 GB), but should have not the problems from the other downloads.

Here the map of the area in the download:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y386/are_solars/Karsthafen/karsthafen_map_2015-02-08_zps91a16c64.png~original

If any of you like, he may build themselves houses for the map. Build at any free space at the roads of Königsdorf (the big area with streets in the right of the map) and post the WorldEdit file here. It is important, to NOT use any other mods as WorldEdit at the map!

I hope everyone has fun with the new version of the map!

YoukaiCountry

by YoukaiCountry » Thu Mar 12, 2015 18:12

I am very much loving the new version! I've spent a fair amount of time wandering around it!
I will get a translated version and the tools out soon, life has been busy since I've been working on moving to a new house :)

solars

by solars » Sun Mar 22, 2015 21:53

@YoukaiYountry: Good luck at the moving to a new house! I will look forward to the translated version. But take your time. Real life above Minetest life... ;)

@All: If you want, you can help at the map now. You can download the map in the attachment. On this map is a big building pit, where you can build your own houses. And then, you can upload the new map here, and if I like it, I will insert the building anywhere in the city.

The Rules for the buildings are:
- Use only minetest_game with no additional mods or subgames. (Only worldedit is allowed)
- Build the house complete with furnishings.
- You can build houses on the whole pit or a single house that is not so big.
- There is no warranty, that I use your building.
- The map is under the CC BY SA license, so must your upload too. I will use the forum username in the copyright notice. If I should use the real name instead or a additional email address, you must write it to the upload.

Here a picture of the map with the building pit:
I needed months for the buildings in the background. So, I hope, you took your time too build yours... ;)
And I hope, many users will build houses for the map. :)

And here is the building pit as a single node map:
Attachments
karsthafen_baustelle.tar.gz
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 234 times

solars

by solars » Sat Apr 02, 2016 21:39

My map slept for one year, but its awaken yet again. ;)
I hoped, that anybody sent a building for Königsdorf, but there is no one yet. Possibly in the next year?

I myself was building at the part "Rote Stadt" (Red City) the last week. Ca. 1/6 of the desert town, build only in red stone, is done:

The town is a labyrinth of small alleys, so it is easy to get lost on the way...

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Apr 15, 2016 00:09

All the work and time you have put into this is very impressive, thank you for sharing
Flick?... Flick who?

solars

by solars » Sat Apr 30, 2016 22:58

Thanks.

Today, the I finished the outside of the houses in Red City. Only the furnishings of many houses and a show cave is to do now. I think, 9/10 of the town is done.

Here an aktual image of the Red City:

I hope, I can make a new download with the finished Red City in the next two weeks.

solars

by solars » Sat May 07, 2016 06:46

Its now 3 years, since I started this map. At this special day, its time for a new download of the map. At was a long time since the last version of the full map.

The singleplayer will start at the city Karsthafen, the oldest and biggest complete City on the map. Around the "Nullpunkt" at the coordinates 0,0,0 you find walls with signs, that tells you the coordinates of all attractions of the map. But some of them are very unfinished.

The newest finished city "Rote Stadt" ("Red City") is at the coordinates 1312,32,714. Or if you go per street from the startpoint on the map: Go straight ahead throu Karsthafen, then turn right and follow the street. After ca. 1km you arrive an the Red City.

And here is the download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzjstrLpadt6M2tMaDMxZlVkWlU

An actual with minetestmapper-numpy.py build map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzjstrLpadt6NDYxRHp2Nnc2UU0

I hope you have much fun with my map!

Ivà

GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New download from 07 May 2016!)

by Ivà » Tue May 10, 2016 16:52

Thanks for sharing it @solars.

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76
IRC: wilkgr
In-game: wilkgr

by wilkgr76 » Fri May 13, 2016 07:24

For uploading, you can do what I did. Get a free domain somewhere (e.g. altervista) then just upload it. This also enables it to be wgettable. Here's how it looks for one of my maps:

I do not care.

solars

by solars » Mon May 16, 2016 16:06

Ivà wrote:Thanks for sharing it @solars.

It's been a pleasure. :)

wilkgr76 wrote:For uploading, you can do what I did. Get a free domain somewhere (e.g. altervista) then just upload it. This also enables it to be wgettable.

This sounds very good, but I don't speak Spanish and don't understand a word at Altervista. And I don't know similar sites in German or English. :(

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Maps