Minetest on a spherical planet

indriApollo

GitHub: indriApollo
IRC: indriApollo
In-game: SudoAptGetPlay

Re: Minetest on a spherical planet

by indriApollo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:05

Wow coming back to the forums and seeing this. You are awesome Jeija :)

patrick55

by patrick55 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 00:17

Can you fix this or give details suggestion so others can fix? I meet the same bugs when playing this.
paramat wrote:You just need a mapgen that blends across the wrap-edges, it could be done with a lua mapgen or a custom core mapgen.

patrick55

by patrick55 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 00:17

Please fix this @Jeija
Prot wrote:Very awesome, but "stitch problems" present..
https://youtu.be/OmJ2UNU-3P0

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 02:52

Well you could either write a lua mapgen that smoothly changes at all 4 edges to an ocean with a fixed seabed depth (easy), or, use a set of continuously-blended noises to make terrain match at the 4 wrapping edges (more difficult).

patrick55

by patrick55 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 03:08

Hi paramat. I try to put some block on the edges, this is what I get. see the attachments for details. the lava source can't go through to the other side. so I wonder if just change some nodes on the edges, it may not work. I don't know the details of the impl. correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyone who can fix this, please help. I love this mod :)
paramat wrote:Well you could either write a lua mapgen that smoothly changes at all 4 edges to an ocean with a fixed seabed depth (easy), or, use a set of continuously-blended noises to make terrain match at the 4 wrapping edges (more difficult).
Attachments
screenshot_20161206_105908.png
screenshot_20161206_105908.png (466.99 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
screenshot_20161206_105901.png
screenshot_20161206_105901.png (429.58 KiB) Viewed 4282 times

taikedz

GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

by taikedz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 13:33

patrick55, Prot - I think you are under the impression that Jeija's engine does something it actually does not do...

The aim was to discuss the mathematics behind mapping a plane to a sphere from a mathematical point of view - not to make a playable, ready-to-deploy game.

Jeija has already said he will not maintain this any further - it has been an awesome Proof of Concept on how to create the illusion of a spherical planet, nothing more.

If you want it maintained, you might have to roll up your own sleeves ;-)

So.

This is not really a spherical planet with a matching mapgen. It's a regular mapgen, which does not know that the engine is going to do some positional translations from one location to the other. If you want your edges to match up, use a flat mapgen. Even, try fractal, see how that goes.

Of paramat's suggestions, making a sea at the schism edges seems to be the most sensible, otherwise it means forcing matching geographies at the cardinal borders, maybe by using a buffer space at the cardinal edges, inside which a slope to the mean can be performed, but even that is likely to have quirks - what if you have a sea on one side and a cave under a mountain on the other, for example...?

Either way, this means making a custom mapgen, or adding "sphere" hooks to the mapgen calls.

Beyond that, it would require a re-write of a few of the Lua API calls so that position-related functions (find_nodes_inside_area for example) make use of the wrap awareness, as well as providing the information to the map. It may also require re-writing portions of the positional calculation libraries so that they are aware of the world radius.

This would allow mobs, liquids, and throwables to cross boundaries, follow/"see" players, and flow through.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 00:27

Yeah this just adds visual distortion so that edges of a small world appear to be next to each other, they are actually at opposite ends of a small world.

MillersMan

by MillersMan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 22:31

Maybe there is an easier solution than to patch up the whole API: Change the map to repeat sectors outside the bounds of the small world. It might be needed to also patch some uses of sector/map-block positions but I wouldn't be supprised if this only affects a very small part of the world. The big advantage of this approach is, that it might also solve the missing faces from blocks beyond the borders and flowing liquids.

taikedz

by taikedz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:00

MillersMan - that would only cause the display of a similar map ab initio.

I think you're suggesting - for example - at the west-most side of the map displaying the corresponding east-most sector, as generated on the map as a copy?

Firstly, any sector outside the inner bounds is never displayed at all.

Secondly, even if they were, what happens once the "real" east-most block is changed? (dig, build, etc)?

Also, it doesn't solve the terrain altitude difference problem, just makes it more evident ;-)

Chiantos

IRC: Chiantos
In-game: Chiantos

by Chiantos » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42

I have use flat, the map is flat ok ... the map not go platen ...

I have compiled, this not the problem ... the game start , the conf is ok ... i don't understand.

I think this is a good concept for my project ... where is the script for the mapgen for look ?

taikedz

by taikedz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:31

Remember to add

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
    planet_radius = 2

In your minetest.conf, otherwise the engine won't know what planet size to use and will just act as default minetest.

taikedz

by taikedz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 16:21

What is the result of "minetest --version" ?

Also, have you added "planet_enable = true" as well? This is documented in the README of the source code

Post the relevant section from your minetest conf

Are you doing a single player game or connecting to a server?

Also, you are aware that this was a one-off item and it will not be receiving updates right? The original coder will not be maintaining it (at least for now) and nobody has so far stepped up to the plate?

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 16:55

Awesome stuff!! Really needs to be polished and included on future minetest releases!

MinisterFarrigut

by MinisterFarrigut » Sat Feb 04, 2017 03:21

I don't think it will be included in any Minetest games. It is a good idea to try, but it just doesn't make sense. People are used to the plane. Putting a set sphere on a world would kinda throw people off, I suppose.

Sergey

by Sergey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 13:07

GREAT IDEA to generate not a minetest world but a minetest planet. Huge planet.

It would be very cool to explore it. When there is no world edge. When you feel like you are in a flat world but really -- on a sphere. And if you go in one direction for a very very long time you could sometimes return to the same point from the opposite.

Previous

Return to Minetest-Related