[Game] Eden2 -Reinvigorated for 0.4.13

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:21

I'd love to see some screenshots from what you all are building with this game. I find myself usually building Tiki villages due to the abundance of good natural building materials. It would be fun to retexture, and re-think home decor for a more primitive natural style with things like hammocks and cots, benches etc.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 23:08

I changed the dirt texture and tweaked the grass on dirt textures. Let me know what you think. Improvement, or did I make it worse?

I also replaced water with Misa's water.

Edit: I also softened up the color contrasts in the LilyPad textures a little bit.

Edit: I was liking the new dirt and stone textures, but they were just a little bit off. I tweaked them again, and now they are really looking nice.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Tue Nov 05, 2013 03:53, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 03:24

I keep playing with the textures, and I'm impressed with the impact of a little tweaking.
Additional Textures changed: Ferns, Reedmace, &tall grass.

And I used Sdzen's gravel.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 14:43

Will this game have textures for the texture pack below?
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7762

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 00:17

Added animal's from Aspiremint's animal pack. Turtle, Donkey, Swan, Rabbits, & Butterflies.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 00:19

Inocudom wrote:Will this game have textures for the texture pack below?
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7762

I tried adding it, and while cool, the textures looked too metallic, especially the grass. Didn't like the look and feel for this game. You can add it yourself, just like any other texture pack to see the effect. I bet you won't like it either.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 19:45

Thanks to plenty of help from VanessaE, I got waving plants added to this game. Since there is so much plantlife in this game, the effect is dramatic.

Geomorph

by Geomorph » Tue Dec 24, 2013 04:27

Nice game! I'm new to minetest, and I'm glad there is a game like this that has collected together some mods and tweaks that work well together to form an immersive survival game. Vanilla Minetest is just too plain, and learning about all the possible mods to make it more interesting is quite a bit of work for someone new to Minetest. This game is visually stunning, and I particularly like the hunger aspect of the game which makes survival challenging.

Here's a few issues that I've encountered:
1. The game description talks about finding jungle grass to plant cotton seeds to gain string for fishing. I cannot find jungle grass, but only regular grass which provides wheat seeds. I find jungle trees, jungle saplings and jungle ferns, so it seems I'm in the right biome.
2. Honey heals but doesn't satisfy hunger, which seems weird. The only sustainable food source I've been able to develop is wheat.
3. Hacking my way through the jungle quickly fills my pack with mostly useless plant pieces. Most of them don't burn in my furnace and can't be used to craft. I devoted a special chest for the sole purpose of storing these plant items, so getting rid of them isn't so hard. But some items don't stack well (perhaps there are 2 or 3 different incompatible variations of these?), namely juncus and jungle saplings.
4. The cows seem ascetically out of place in this landscape.
5. I'm not sure that I like the multiple types of dirt that don't stack with each other.
6. The short visual range is a problem. I built a tree house on top of a tall jungle tree, and I can't see it from the ground. This isn't so much of a problem when walking through the dense jungle, since you can't see far anyway. But this will make it very hard to explore beyond the immediate vicinity of my base, and to navigate by landmarks.

(I'm using the "fuller" version, BTW)
Last edited by Geomorph on Tue Dec 24, 2013 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Dec 24, 2013 06:18

I'm using something very similar to this modpack/game for my own singleplayer world. It's incredibly beautiful and a fun to just explore and take a look.

Geomorph wrote:1. The game description talks about finding jungle grass to plant cotton seeds to gain string for fishing. I cannot find jungle grass, but only regular grass which provides wheat seeds. I find jungle trees, jungle saplings and jungle ferns, so it seems I'm in the right biome.

In general, junglegrass ought to be located around jungletrees. There was a change recently to that particular grass type - perhaps junglegrass got lost that way in some versions.

Simple mobs seems to be included in the Eden game - so another way to get wool might be to right-click any happily jumping sheep you come across. If your sheep come from mobf, you'll need a tool to sheer them. Simple mobs sheep look more blocky.

Geomorph wrote:4. The cows seem ascetically out of place in this landscape.

Just give them a flat piece of land with only grass on. Huge animals like cows arn't perfect yet, but they are already well suited for farms (as decoration).

Geomorph wrote:6. The short visual range is a problem. I built a tree house on top of a tall jungle tree, and I can't see it from the ground. This isn't so much of a problem when walking through the dense jungle, since you can't see far anyway. But this will make it very hard to explore beyond the immediate vicinity of my base, and to navigate by landmarks.

Navigation by landmarks is extremly difficult because your landmark will not be loaded by the game when you need it - no matter how far your view range is. Set your home/spawn point as soon as possible to your house or write its coordinates down. Pressing F5 in order to see your current coordinates also helps a bit. And you can create a 2d map of your local world with one of the mapping programs.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Geomorph

by Geomorph » Fri Dec 27, 2013 02:09

Actually, the forest soils are very pretty, and dealing with 4 or so different types of soil in my pack is only a minor inconvenience. I could set up an extra chest to store those extra soils.

The biggest problem with this game for me is the short visual range. The visual range in the regular minetest game is adequate, since I can see the top of a high tower, and landscape features at moderate distance. For me, the inability to see anything at moderate distance detracts from the immersiveness of this game.

Froggy

by Froggy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 00:56

This is a super fun game! All of the details in it are amazing. The plants, the animals, and even the dirt types are great.

I just have a slight issue. So, I was playing around, gathering resources, when I felt like mining. I jumped down the nearest cave and began mining. I turn around and see this guy - who nearly gave me a heart attack.
[spoiler=Screenshot]Image[/spoiler]
I decided to approach him, and as I did, the game crashed.

debug.txt says this:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
11:15:58: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:54: bad argument #1 to 'punch' (userdata expected, got nil)
11:15:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
11:15:58: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'punch'
11:15:58: ERROR[main]:     ...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:54: in function 'mobf_do_area_damage'
11:15:58: ERROR[main]:     ...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:299: in function <...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:281>

Now, I can't continue, as it gives me the same error over and over again.
I'm using 0.4.8-dev.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:42

Froggy wrote:This is a super fun game! All of the details in it are amazing. The plants, the animals, and even the dirt types are great.

I just have a slight issue. So, I was playing around, gathering resources, when I felt like mining. I jumped down the nearest cave and began mining. I turn around and see this guy - who nearly gave me a heart attack.
[spoiler=Screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/DYuK7DQ.png[/spoiler]
I decided to approach him, and as I did, the game crashed.

debug.txt says this:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
11:15:58: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:54: bad argument #1 to 'punch' (userdata expected, got nil)
11:15:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
11:15:58: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'punch'
11:15:58: ERROR[main]:     ...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:54: in function 'mobf_do_area_damage'
11:15:58: ERROR[main]:     ...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:299: in function <...es/Eden/mods/animals_modpack-master/mobf/weapons.lua:281>

Now, I can't continue, as it gives me the same error over and over again.
I'm using 0.4.8-dev.

That mob is called "BigRed". I'm not sure why, because he's mostly blue. They spawn very rarely. You might want to try deleting the bigRed folder from the Neuromancergame\mods\mobf?\bigred folder and see if that fixes it. Otherwise you could also ask Sapier on the Mobf Mod thread. This is an older version of that Mod because the new version has serious performance issues with this game. This is one of the most complicated Mods for Minetest, and Sapier has the best chance of helping since he wrote it. Plus sometimes other folks in that thread have answers.

I already deleted the BoomBom Mob folder from the same Mod because it caused crashes like the one you are seeing all the time.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:45

Geomorph wrote:Actually, the forest soils are very pretty, and dealing with 4 or so different types of soil in my pack is only a minor inconvenience. I could set up an extra chest to store those extra soils.

The biggest problem with this game for me is the short visual range. The visual range in the regular minetest game is adequate, since I can see the top of a high tower, and landscape features at moderate distance. For me, the inability to see anything at moderate distance detracts from the immersiveness of this game.

From what RealBadAngel tells me, you basically have 2 choices, either start deleting some of the Mods from the mods folder in this game that you don't care for, or get a faster GPU or a computer with a faster GPU. I included everything, because well for starters it just looks amazing, but then it gives you the choice of what you want to rip out. Experiment with it.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:50

Geomorph wrote:Nice game! I'm new to minetest, and I'm glad there is a game like this that has collected together some mods and tweaks that work well together to form an immersive survival game. Vanilla Minetest is just too plain, and learning about all the possible mods to make it more interesting is quite a bit of work for someone new to Minetest. This game is visually stunning, and I particularly like the hunger aspect of the game which makes survival challenging.

Here's a few issues that I've encountered:
1. The game description talks about finding jungle grass to plant cotton seeds to gain string for fishing. I cannot find jungle grass, but only regular grass which provides wheat seeds. I find jungle trees, jungle saplings and jungle ferns, so it seems I'm in the right biome.
2. Honey heals but doesn't satisfy hunger, which seems weird. The only sustainable food source I've been able to develop is wheat.
3. Hacking my way through the jungle quickly fills my pack with mostly useless plant pieces. Most of them don't burn in my furnace and can't be used to craft. I devoted a special chest for the sole purpose of storing these plant items, so getting rid of them isn't so hard. But some items don't stack well (perhaps there are 2 or 3 different incompatible variations of these?), namely juncus and jungle saplings.
4. The cows seem ascetically out of place in this landscape.
5. I'm not sure that I like the multiple types of dirt that don't stack with each other.
6. The short visual range is a problem. I built a tree house on top of a tall jungle tree, and I can't see it from the ground. This isn't so much of a problem when walking through the dense jungle, since you can't see far anyway. But this will make it very hard to explore beyond the immediate vicinity of my base, and to navigate by landmarks.

(I'm using the "fuller" version, BTW)

Since honey is known to have healing properties, and because it is nice to have something that can just heal you other than having your hunger meter past 90 percent, I thought I'd leave it that way. So yes this was done intentionally.

I agree that the cows ugly, wanted to give them a new texture. But I had a hard time coming up with a nice brown texture that blends in better with the landscape. Think of them as Bison-like. I kept them in because they add the farming aspect to the game, as Sokomine suggested.

There should still be jungle grass in the game, but it is extremely rare. See if you can find alternative recipies. But half the fun is how hard it is to find. It might be possible to increase it's frequency by tweaking the plantlife Mod.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:54

I thought there was a trash option in inventory that you could just drag 'n drop items you don't want rather than having to craft chests.

Topywo

by Topywo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 13:35

Neuromancer wrote:That mob is called "BigRed". I'm not sure why, because he's mostly blue.

When 2D it used to be red. It probably got the blues after turning 3D

AMMOnym

IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Sat Jan 04, 2014 16:15

that game is so cool but so laggy too , for me.But i like this game anyway.

bbaez

Re: [Game] Eden (formerly Immersive Fun)

by bbaez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 02:50

My kids are having a blast with this mod!!! I feel like I am at Half Moon Bay! I want to share with everyone that I had to make some tweeks to get this to run under 0.4.10.

These are example commands I ran to delete the local mods so that the newer global mods would be used.

minetest01:~/minetest/minetest-0.4.10/games/Neuromancer/mods$ \rm -R animals_modpack-master/
minetest01:~/minetest/minetest-0.4.10/games/Neuromancer/mods$ \rm -R inventory_plus/
minetest01:~/minetest/minetest-0.4.10/games/Neuromancer/mods$ \rm -R throwing/

16:53:59: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: /home/aa0001/minetest/minetest-0.4.10/bin/../mods/3d_armor/3d_armor/init.lua:
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: .../minetest-0.4.10/bin/../mods/3d_armor/3d_armor/armor.lua:252: attempt to call field 'player_register_model' (a nil value)
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: .../minetest-0.4.10/bin/../mods/3d_armor/3d_armor/armor.lua:252: in main chunk
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: ...t/minetest-0.4.10/bin/../mods/3d_armor/3d_armor/init.lua:2: in main chunk
16:53:59: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========

Resolved by copying over newer player.lua

minetest01:~/minetest/minetest-0.4.10/games/Neuromancer/mods/default$ cp ~/minetest/minetest-0.4.10/games/minetest_game/mods/default/player.lua .

linushsao

IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

Re:

by linushsao » Tue Sep 15, 2015 09:20

gabriel.bakker wrote:This looks beautiful.

Is there some trick for cooking food? I killed some animals and tried to cook them in the furnace but it wouldn't cook. The coal wasn't used up and the fire didn't appear.

I then started the fire by putting cobblestone in the top of the furnace, and when it was burning I replaced the cobblestone with the Raw Meat, and the fire burned but the meat didn't get cooked. How do you cook food?

you could add a simple mod which has code like:

minetest.register_craft({
type = "cooking",
recipe = "group:raw_meat",
output = "group:steak",
})

you may replace "group:steak" with the itemstring exists

put raw meat in top and fuel like coal in bottom of furnace, if codes are correct you get food a few second.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Sep 15, 2015 14:44

There are some food mods out there which might help you in that regard. Search using Krocks mod search page, and you'll find a lot of food mods that will add more than raw meat :-)

brio2244

by brio2244 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 02:17

Hello, I would love to try your subgame. However I am getting an error, and I am but a casual gamer. I don't know how to understand error messages.

ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\blahhhh mods\animals_modpack-master\mobf\init.lua

Error from Lua:
.....\builtin\common\serialize.lua:190: attempt to ind ex local 'str' (a nil value)
stack traceback
builtin\common\serialize.lua:190: in function 'init'

There's other things that come up and if you need them I will type them out also. Thank you for any help!

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Sep 24, 2015 16:32

brio2244 wrote:Hello, I would love to try your subgame. However I am getting an error, and I am but a casual gamer. I don't know how to understand error messages.

ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\blahhhh mods\animals_modpack-master\mobf\init.lua

Error from Lua:
.....\builtin\common\serialize.lua:190: attempt to ind ex local 'str' (a nil value)
stack traceback
builtin\common\serialize.lua:190: in function 'init'

There's other things that come up and if you need them I will type them out also. Thank you for any help!

This subgame is eternally dead. Try using the latest minetest_game and downloading and installing the latest versions of the mods that are inside Eden. Don't forget to use its texture pack, of course.

For the sake of this community, don't be another one of those guys that posts once and only once in these forums because of an error and never, ever posts again. We have already had way, way too many of those. Forums show if a game is still alive or not to newcomers, so if nobody is posting anything, then that shows that the game is dead.

brio2244

by brio2244 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 22:40

I'm here because this is the best alternative free minecraft I have found. I had the notion it was pretty popular.

Oh wow just noticed the dates.

Are there any online servers people play this on? If not I am down to start one with you and anybody.

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 23:43

brio2244 wrote:[...]Are there any online servers people play this on?

Probably not, this subgame is way outdated by 2 years now, and probably will not work with Minetest 0.4.13.
There are several other subgames, but this is one of the better ones.
Bias alert below!
Maybe you might like my subgame(Pixture), it has some things that a lot subgames don't have yet, like built-in mobs, hunger, a crafting guide, armor, a unique UI style, and completely remade textures.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Sep 27, 2015 20:08

If you do like the Eden subgame, try Dreambuilder! It has the mods from Eden included and is run for example on VanessaEs survival server (a bit furhter from spawn) and on several other servers. The mods create a beautiful landscape.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:20

It's been ages since I updated this. The original version of Eden is broken for newer versions of Minetest, so I created a much more fun to play version called Eden2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/hamf8dofcuslqfh/Eden2.zip?dl=0
Try it out and let me know what you think. There is a lot going on in this world.

Neuromancer

Re: [Game] Eden2 -Reinvigorated for 0.4.13

by Neuromancer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 01:54

Changed textures in the game to match original Eden game.

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Thu Dec 24, 2015 02:37

I clicky but it just sticky :(

edit: never mind I got it now.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 16:16

Changed creative inventory to use latest pull which has search functionality.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Thu Jul 14, 2016 05:26

I can't seem to put this mod on my MineTest,though I downloaded it! Help!

Previous

Return to Subgame Releases