A few questions about creating worlds

Arwym

A few questions about creating worlds

by Arwym » Mon Mar 12, 2012 00:30

These questions are generic, but I'd appreciate instructions specific for a Mac OS environment.
  • Can I have more than one world in my minetest installation? I only see one /world folder. How can I change worlds without having to rename folders?
  • Can I give each world its own conf file? How can I add specific settings, like "give_initial_stuff" and MOTD?
  • Texture sets. I am still unsure about how to install custom textures. Overwriting the default textures just doesn't work sometimes, because the files are named differently, to begin with, so I'd have to rename them manually.
  • I want to host a server through Remobo or Hamachi; probably Remobo. Other than just connecting to my local server while having Remobo already running, and being logged in, do I need to do anything else?

Help will be immensely appreciated. :)
Last edited by Arwym on Mon Mar 12, 2012 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

Menche

by Menche » Mon Mar 12, 2012 01:10

I don't use a Mac very often, so I'm afraid I can't give specific instructions.
Arwym wrote:Can I have more than one world in my minetest installation? I only see one /world folder. How can I change worlds without having to rename folders?

You can use the "--map-dir <value>" option to specify a different world folder. For example, running with "--map-dir world-1" will use the folder "world-1" for the world, and will create it if it doesn't exist. To make switching easier you could make launchers that launch minetest with the different options, but I don't know how to do that on osx.
Arwym wrote:Can I give each world its own conf file? How can I add specific settings, like "give_initial_stuff" and MOTD?

Similar to specifying world folders, you can use "--config <value" to specify another config file.
Arwym wrote:Texture sets. I am still unsure about how to install custom textures. Overwriting the default textures just doesn't work sometimes, because the files are named differently, to begin with, so I'd have to rename them manually.

I answered this question here.
Arwym wrote:I want to host a server through Remobo or Hamachi; probably Remobo. Other than just connecting to my local server while having Remobo already running, and being logged in, do I need to do anything else?

If you've added the people you want to connect to, thats all you need to do.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Mar 12, 2012 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

Arwym

by Arwym » Mon Mar 12, 2012 09:56

All right, one more thing. These commands you talk about – are they terminal commands? What would the entire syntax be? Something like "minetest world-dir world-1"? Also, where can I save the settings such as "give_initial_stuff"? The default .conf file gets overwritten each time I run minetest, and those options aren't preserved. :(

Thanks!

kahrl

by kahrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:52

The syntax would be: minetest --map-dir /path/to/world

The game should get the give_initial_stuff from minetest.conf and not remove it when overwriting the config.

Also, don't be surprised if any of this changes in the next version, it's actively being worked on at the moment.

kddekadenz

GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 17:08

kahrl wrote:The syntax would be: minetest --map-dir /path/to/world

Without '--' or the line will be commented out!

JSonic

by JSonic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 18:05

kddekadenz wrote:
kahrl wrote:The syntax would be: minetest --map-dir /path/to/world

Without '--' or the line will be commented out!

No, it will not be commented out, this is a terminal command :) You must use '--' in it or you get a message like this: ERROR[main]: Invalid command-line parameter "map-dir": --<option> expected; and a list of allowed options.

(In Lua code though '--' means a comment.)
Stairs are cool!
Minetest-c55 for Puppy Linux
Minetest-c55 PPA: daily, stable

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Mon Mar 12, 2012 18:26

Correct!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Arwym

by Arwym » Tue Mar 13, 2012 00:38

The game should get the give_initial_stuff from minetest.conf and not remove it when overwriting the config.

Maybe they changed something in the latest version, because I am 100% sure that Minetest automatically overwrites my .conf file every time and my custom settings are gone afterwards. :( There has to be another way to preserve those settings...

Thanks, again!

Return to Minetest General