Vote: TOP 5 Minetest Mods!

SheepwithHat

In-game: SheepwithHat

Vote: TOP 5 Minetest Mods!

by SheepwithHat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 00:58

Minetest Central:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNvKyg8bUjIZxsx75inHptQ

Have you made a mod (Minetest 14.04 mods) or simply love one to much? Reply your mod or your favorite mod and if it wins, it will be featured in a Minetest Central TOP 5 video! Please post original mods, not ones everyone knows about!

Please include the following:
Mod Name
Link to forum post
Some screenshots
What the mod is all about!

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: Vote: TOP 5 Minetest Mods!

by octacian » Thu Nov 03, 2016 01:20

I'm working on it :P

In fact, I've been compiling a list specifically for a MTC video.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

KiriSakiKiller

by KiriSakiKiller » Thu Nov 03, 2016 04:42

My own mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14937&p=221677 「edgeblade」

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Thu Nov 03, 2016 08:09

TenPlus1 has more than 5 mods...
tough choice...

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:49

I use many mods for many worlds,
different themes, --> different mod collection...
but there is only one that I always use on every world...
sadly it is somewhat of a bugfix -
"One to rule them All"
mapfix

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 17:17

You are asking difficult questions here.
Yeah, the top 5 mods. Top 5 in WHAT?
Popularity? Use on servers? Programming skills? Art quallity? Fun? Utility? Gameplay design? Ease of use? (Gameplay) depth? And so on …
Also, there are many mods which are purely technical and not directly useful to players and they provide no direct gameplay value. Like intllib, for example. Or many other API mods. And there are mod which add gameplay stuff directly. So you are basically throwing technical and gameplay mods into the same bucket. This doesn't seem right.
And even for the gameplay mods, voting for the “best” is still a bit vague.

Ask for something more specific. For example, “Top 5 mobs mods”.

I hope you get the idea. IMO it does not make much sense to ask for the top 5 mods without any further explanation.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 17:38

Wuzzy is right.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

SheepwithHat

In-game: SheepwithHat

by SheepwithHat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 19:30

Wuzzy wrote:You are asking difficult questions here.
Yeah, the top 5 mods. Top 5 in WHAT?
Popularity? Use on servers? Programming skills? Art quallity? Fun? Utility? Gameplay design? Ease of use? (Gameplay) depth? And so on …
Also, there are many mods which are purely technical and not directly useful to players and they provide no direct gameplay value. Like intllib, for example. Or many other API mods. And there are mod which add gameplay stuff directly. So you are basically throwing technical and gameplay mods into the same bucket. This doesn't seem right.
And even for the gameplay mods, voting for the “best” is still a bit vague.

Ask for something more specific. For example, “Top 5 mobs mods”.

I hope you get the idea. IMO it does not make much sense to ask for the top 5 mods without any further explanation.

Just simply what players believe are the TOP 5 mods. The reason I went so bland as I want to do more TOP 5 Videos on Mods. I set it up this way so I could do a basic TOP 5 (This one) then next would be TOP 5 server mods and so on. It's set up this to be able to produce more content and create a sort of series.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 23:50

Hmm, okay. I just give a random list of 5 mods which I personally like much (and yes, I do like my own mods, too! :P). Not sure if those are the “best” mods (it is hard to decide).

- luacmd: Allows to use Lua commands in-game. Very important tool for modders to debug stuff, I almost always enable it when testing mods. This is easily the most frequenty-used mod by me. IMO this mod is so important, I sometimes think it should be part of builtin (internal core Minetest “mod”)

- hudbars: Adds HUD progress bars, e.g. “Health: 15/20”. This has been a relative success and a couple of mods are using it to add their own HUD bars. Without this mod, we would probably have HUD indicators all over the screen. ;-) So I do think this mod fills quite a need. I personally think it beats the more popular hud and hunger mods by BlockMen feature-wise, since a mode to imitate [hud]-style statbars is present. Personally I like the HUD bars style more since they convey information more directly to the user. I hate the default statbars since we humans have a hard time “seeing” 10 objects at once, and this is made worse because there is no default background. BlockMen's [hud] mod fixes this by introducing a background, but both [hud] and default statbars in general are not suitable for very large numbers (except for showing very rough estimates).

- unified_inventory: Yes, everyone knows this mod. But it is in my list because IMO this mod has the best and most feature-rich crafting guide I know. No other crafting guide comes even close. It would be great if the crafting guide would be standalone, but that would probably be hard to do. But the inventory mod as such is also pretty nice, although I do have my criticisms (see the mod's thread).

- awards: Simple but great awards aka achievements system. It is a nice addition to sandbox-style games like Minetest Game by giving some stuff to do. There are many awards which make sure you explore (almost) all aspects of Minetest Game. My playtesting with this mod made Minetest Game enjoyable again. :-) Plus, you can add your own awards (some of my mods have used this function). Although I think the API needs some love (it is confusing) and the awards could need more variation, but the basic awards set is a good start. I think many more mods need to use this mod to add their own awards, and be creative. The more mods add awards, the better the awards mod will become. :-)

- ltool: Tool to create your very own L-system trees. Mostly for developers and power users. I am personally very proud of this mod to make it work out. I think this has been my most complex AND finished mod so far. I think this mod is a bit underappreciated but I am aware this mod fills a nieche. And I have to admit that even I have not created many trees with this mod. I was more busy developing other mods. :D
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Fri Nov 04, 2016 08:27

when i started minetest i read that the "best" mods where moreblocks, moreores, moretrees and plantlife.
well, they used to be good on the old mgV6 mapgen, but with V7 i switched to other mods.

my favourite mapgen: Ethereal
it has almost everything you can imagine, and it inspired me to make my own subgame

favourite other mods: everything made by TenPlus1 :P
all his mods are designed to work together, but can also be used with just default.
no double recipes or items, you can just throw everything together and it works.

favourite mod which is not made by TenPlus1: x-decor
i just tried this recently and it's amazing.
it has levers and pressure plates for doors, they open nearby doors on use and close automatically.
the workbench for stair cutting makes all shapes you could ever need.
i like it because all it's functions are simple but effective.

player awards (or whatever it's name was)
didn't test this, but i like the idea and the possibilities.

octacian

by octacian » Fri Nov 04, 2016 14:45

Hardtrees - currently working on expanding it to be have functionality much like the treecapacitor mod for MC.

I'm working on posting a few of my other mods on the forums, will link a few of the interesting ones here.

Edit: Note that hardtrees now uses a loop to override trees and leaves. Also note that the latest release (0.2) does not use this, only the master branch.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:

D00Med

GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Fri Nov 11, 2016 21:05

My favourites:
xdecor
mobs_redo
farming_redo
glowtest
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242
dmobs2 is coming...

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Sun Nov 13, 2016 00:03

• Homedecor (especially meshnodes)
  • Caverealms
  • Watershed
  • Pipeworks, I had a lot of fun by making insane circuits and putting huge quantities of items inside (often carrots… why? I don't know…)
  • DarkAge
Very busy this year too, so do not expect me to be very active on the forum or in game. But I'm not about to drop Minetest forever :)

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Sun Nov 13, 2016 01:20

I have two lists. Been a while since I last played seriously, so some of my picks may be a bit outdated.

For survival:
  • item_drop - (personally I use a patched version of PilzAdam's). Makes survival a bit harder.
  • mobs - Mobs Redo (TenPlus1). Nice simple mobs add some challenge to survival.
  • survival_modpack - Drowning is in core since a long time ago; mainly for hunger. May be biased as this one is mine.
  • unified_inventory - It's impossible to remember everything, after all. Bags may be OP depending on your point of view. YMMV.
  • ???
  • Profit!

For creative:
  • homedecor
  • unified_inventory
  • mesecons
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 01:37

• crops
  • mobs_redo
  • mesecons
  • boost carts
  • worldedit

bigfoot547

GitHub: bigfoot547
In-game: bigfoot547

by bigfoot547 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 01:49

I started using these mods and I can't stop!
★★★★★
God's not dead, He's surely alive!
My Stuff | My User Page | Check out my website!
<bigfoot547> I major in existing. | <RedPanda246> Not every day is good, but there is good in every day.
I, bigfoot, have this special ability to destroy cameras and recording devices within a 5 mile radius of myself. Mystery solved.

Kosmos

In-game: KosmosHD

by Kosmos » Mon Nov 21, 2016 19:05

-homedecor
-worldedit
-meseccons
-not so simple mobs (nssm)
-not so simple buildings
-lucky blocks

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Dec 03, 2016 05:57

A top 5 really seems to be too restrictive. There are so many great mods out there which serve their purpose - some in the background, some more obvious. Some are needed in singleplayer (checking craft receipes without unified inventory? good luck...), some are needed on servers (areas or a fork thereof). Homedecor and moreblocks give you nice blocks to build with. As do some other mods. Ethereal is a great mapgen, but so are some others. It's variety of mods plus the option to write your own if you think something's missing is what is making Minetest great.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 09:40

All the discussion (and my own modpack) aside …

More Blocks
More Ores
More Trees
X-Decor
Mesecons

Andrey01

In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 15:44

I like your viodeo!Great buildings!

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 16:10

Andrey01 wrote:I like your viodeo!Great buildings!

Thanks. I wish I could do that again right now. But I guess not before February 2017 :(

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Sun Dec 04, 2016 22:47

mobs redo
unified inventory
awards
railcorridors

octacian

by octacian » Sun Dec 04, 2016 22:49

MicroExpansion (not even complete..)
digicompute (not yet released)
TurtleMiner
WorldEdit
digilines (mesecons too ofc - it's a dependency, but I rarely use it, mostly just digilines)
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:

AnxiousInfusion

GitHub: AnxiousInfusion[GitLab]
IRC: AnxiousInfusion
In-game: AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Mon Dec 05, 2016 06:13

torches (by Sofar)
simple_protection (Krock)
wardrobe (indriApollo, presdigitator)
vehicles (D00Med)
mobs_goblins (FreeLikeGNU)

octacian

by octacian » Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:52

AnxiousInfusion: torches by Sofar or BlockMen are no longer needed. Sofar's version was recently merged into Minetest Game so MT has 3D torches by default now.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:

AnxiousInfusion

GitHub: AnxiousInfusion[GitLab]
IRC: AnxiousInfusion
In-game: AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Tue Dec 06, 2016 00:47

I know, I check the 0.4.15 milestones every day on Github. But that shouldn't detract from what a streamlined and elegant solution his torches mod is.

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Wed Dec 07, 2016 02:09

endev15 wrote:AnxiousInfusion: torches by Sofar or BlockMen are no longer needed. Sofar's version was recently merged into Minetest Game so MT has 3D torches by default now.

Wait WAT? When did this happen?! 0.4.14 doesn't have this! Or are we talking daily builds? I did take a glance at those and thought they might be fun to try just cuz.
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

octacian

by octacian » Wed Dec 07, 2016 03:05

GreenDimond wrote:Wait WAT? When did this happen?! 0.4.14 doesn't have this! Or are we talking daily builds? I did take a glance at those and thought they might be fun to try just cuz.

Yeah, we're talking daily builds. Even better if you build it yourself. 0.4.15 will have it though considering that it will probably be released within a few weeks.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Wed Dec 07, 2016 05:48

endev15 wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:Wait WAT? When did this happen?! 0.4.14 doesn't have this! Or are we talking daily builds? I did take a glance at those and thought they might be fun to try just cuz.

Yeah, we're talking daily builds. Even better if you build it yourself. 0.4.15 will have it though considering that it will probably be released within a few weeks.

Oh OK :)
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

Return to Minetest General