Help me understand server behavior

spillz

Help me understand server behavior

by spillz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 20:15

I have three questions about servers (i am using 0.4.9 on Ubuntu):

1. What is the difference between a server run through the GUI and one run from the command line with minetestserver? I had created a world in the GUI, then closed and started it in the server. When my players entered through the client, they were in different places and had lost their equipment. Is this normal? Does the server use different player settings or something?

2. What determines who is the admin in a server run from minetestserver? Is it the name of the user in minetest.conf? How does one give selected additional users the same privs? Just through the /grant command? Is there some way to do this via the world's config files?

3. How do I add skins for players for a specific world?

Novacain

by Novacain » Tue Feb 18, 2014 20:22

2: if you look in your world folder, you should notice a folder called "players." you can modify this file to add/subtract privs. once you give your character the privs priviledge, you can manage privs through your admin character.

1: the difference between GUI and minetestserver should be that when you exit the GUI it closes. when you quit the client in minetestserver, the server is still up.

3: I personally don't know where it is, but my guess is somewhere in the player's file it has it. If you talk to VanessaE, she has a lot of experience with it.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 20:24

spillz wrote:2. What determines who is the admin in a server run from minetestserver? Is it the name of the user in minetest.conf?  How does one give selected additional users the same privs? Just through the /grant command? Is there some way to do this via the world's config files?

name setting in minetest.conf
Yes
Use /grant
No, you can use the filesystem too
Yes, modify auth.txt
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

spillz

by spillz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 21:23

Thanks!

spillz

by spillz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 16:56

I realize that my issue with number 1 is minetestserver by default looks for your map in the working directory. I was launching from ~ and my maps were in ~/.minetest/worlds.

EDIT: And this is actually a bit confusing because if I type

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetestserver --world list

I will be given the list of worlds in ~/.minetest/worlds
Last edited by spillz on Wed Feb 19, 2014 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Wed Feb 19, 2014 17:37

spillz wrote:I realize that my issue with number 1 is minetestserver by default looks for your map in the working directory. I was launching from ~ and my maps were in ~/.minetest/worlds.

EDIT: And this is actually a bit confusing because if I type

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
minetestserver --world list

I will be given the list of worlds in ~/.minetest/worlds

It depends on how you compiled/installed Minetest. If it was run_in_place, the world folder would be within the Minetest folder; if it was not, then it is a systemwide installation, and the world folder would be located in .minetest
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

spillz

by spillz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 13:58

hoodedice wrote:It depends on how you compiled/installed Minetest. If it was run_in_place, the world folder would be within the Minetest folder; if it was not, then it is a systemwide installation, and the world folder would be located in .minetest

I used Celeron55's stable Ubuntu PPA (0.4.9)

Whether it is run in place or not, it looks like minetestserver --world will always look in the working directory for the world even though --world list will show the worlds in the world folder. Can someone confirm?

celeron55

by celeron55 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 13:04

spillz wrote:Whether it is run in place or not, it looks like minetestserver --world will always look in the working directory for the world even though --world list will show the worlds in the world folder. Can someone confirm?

A bit late answer but I don't browse these forums too often.

If you look at the --help option of minetest/minetestserver, you can find the answer to your question:
  --world <value>       Set world path (implies local game) ('list' lists all)
  --worldname <value>   Set world by name (implies local game)

That is, the --world option wants a path to the world, and --worldname wants the world's name.

Return to Minetest General