Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes : 38

SegFault22

Re: Apple trees with their own wood?

by SegFault22 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 19:45

paramat wrote:Perhaps they were not changed because until recently trees were either spawned with apples to be appletrees or spawned without to be some generic tree. In mgv6 there are 2 noises: 'trees' and 'apple trees' suggesting only some are actually appletrees.

Now there's a good case for renaming, but might not be worth the breakage.
The generic 'tree' nodes may be in use for other types of tree.

Then we can leave the generic "tree" nodes as just generic tree nodes, and make a new set of nodes for the apple trees, and then have mapgen use the apple tree nodes for all new apple trees. That way, old mods using the generic tree nodes for other trees are not broken, and apple trees have distinct wood/leaves/saplings.

I am making a mod which adds tools made with different handle materials, including several types of wood and some different metals and alloys. Currently there are "apple wood" and "jungle wood" handles of the wood variety, but since generic tree wood isn't apple wood, I am stuck with naming the tool handle made of generic wood (description name), because it has to be something other than just "wood" or the less desirable "generic wood" (for example, you have "Jungle Wood Tool Handle" and "Acacia Wood Tool Handle", but "Generic Wood Tool Handle" or just "Wood Tool Handle" doesn't make sense with them); but if we call it "Oak Wood", then all of the old mods that use generic wood for banana trees and orange trees (and such) will make the players think like "lol I just made an oak wood tool handle out of banana tree wood, what a dumb mod" or something.

Previous

Return to Minetest Features