42%

Total votes : 38

LNJ

GitHub: LNJ2
IRC: LNJ2GO
In-game: LNJ

Apple trees with their own wood?

by LNJ » Thu Feb 26, 2015 19:13

I think it isn't a bad idea to make apple trees with their own wood, leaves and planks like this:
So, you can build more various houses.
Perhaps the planks can be a little bit red.
What do you think about it?
I didn't make a mod for it, because the generation of the default trees is into the engine (C++-Code) from Minetest.
Some people want to have more various wood (for example: koerb at alpha.firc.de:30001).

And here are the textures by jbb (into the minetest forum too):
Attachments
appletrees-textures.zip
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Last edited by LNJ on Mon Mar 02, 2015 16:32, edited 7 times in total.
My Minetest Modding Tutorials (German) | Minetest TNG - My survival subgame! (OUTDATED... :() | #ComeToTheDuckSide - we have privacy! | diaspora* - The free and decentralized alternative to facebook and twitter!

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

Re: Appletrees with their own wood?

by TenPlus1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 19:57

The default tree in minetest IS an apple tree, some spawn randomly with fruit while others do not...

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Thu Feb 26, 2015 20:28

I think it would add to inventory clutter, as there would be another type of wood to stack.

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Thu Feb 26, 2015 22:35

Would apple wood have it's own planks, or just the default wood?

Topywo

by Topywo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:41

The idea is nice, but indeed it would clutter inventory. Iirc there's an apple tree in the moretrees mod with it's own wood.

LNJ

by LNJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 15:47

Thermal_Shock wrote:Would apple wood have it's own planks, or just the default wood?

With planks. So you can build more various houses.
My Minetest Modding Tutorials (German) | Minetest TNG - My survival subgame! (OUTDATED... :() | #ComeToTheDuckSide - we have privacy! | diaspora* - The free and decentralized alternative to facebook and twitter!

LNJ

by LNJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 15:50

TenPlus1 wrote:The default tree in minetest IS an apple tree, some spawn randomly with fruit while others do not...

No it isn't an apple tree. If all default trees in Minetest were an apple tree it would be named so!

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Fri Feb 27, 2015 17:07

Default trees are apple trees, so don't give those different trunks.
It would be boring when every apple tree would wear apples.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 17:41

The ingame code says it all, the default tree in minetest is an apple tree with a 1 in 10 chance of producing fruit, hence a lot of empty trees...

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Spawn a small apple tree:
apple_tree={
axiom="FFFFFAFFBF",
rules_a="[&&&FFFFF&&FFFF][&&&++++FFFFF&&FFFF][&&&----FFFFF&&FFFF]",
rules_b="[&&&++FFFFF&&FFFF][&&&--FFFFF&&FFFF][&&&------FFFFF&&FFFF]",
trunk="default:tree",
leaves="default:leaves",
angle=30,
iterations=2,
random_level=0,
trunk_type="single",
thin_branches=true,
fruit_chance=10,
fruit="default:apple"
}
minetest.spawn_tree(pos,apple_tree)

jbb

GitHub: JBBgameich
IRC: JBB
In-game: JBB

by jbb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 18:46

Yes good idea!
With more different wood you could design better houses.
Minetest would develop further, but still be different from minecraft
Minetest runs better on Linux. So I'm using Linux.

LNJ

by LNJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 19:08

@Krock
@TenPlus1
Okay I believe you. Sorry.
I thought ...
And that means that Minetest has just apple trees?! (and jungle- and pinetrees)
But on my private server I've got now apple trees and trees!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Feb 27, 2015 21:21

Diffrent trees - complete with diffrent wood types - offer people the option to build with diffrent wood types and thus create nicer houses. Just take a look at RealTest! That has several wood types by default, and the houses look more intresting than with normal wood alone.

I'd also love to see cherry trees in the game. Their wood could be more reddish. Jungletree wood used to be a lot darker than it is now; the old color was more practical for diffrent types of buildings.

Moretrees cannot fill this gap as moretree trees are too large for convenient harvesting. Instead, a few more normal trees with diffrent wood types would be far more helpful and make the game more intresting. The pine trees are a good start.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Sat Feb 28, 2015 00:29

LNJ wrote:
Thermal_Shock wrote:Would apple wood have it's own planks, or just the default wood?

With planks. So you can build more various houses.

Sounds good to me. My only suggestion is that you make the texture different from the default not just in colour, but in grain pattern as well. That way mods with coloured wood stain will have blocks that stand out more from each other.

I'm a bit puzzled by the objection against adding more blocks because of inventory clutter. Being a building game a wide selection of building materials would be ideal for me. I had jumped ship from Minecraft mostly because I thought it's building options were crap.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Feb 28, 2015 14:57

Sokomine wrote:Diffrent trees - complete with diffrent wood types - offer people the option to build with diffrent wood types and thus create nicer houses.

Moretrees cannot fill this gap as moretree trees are too large for convenient harvesting. Instead, a few more normal trees with diffrent wood types would be far more helpful and make the game more intresting.

I agree, more colors = better buildings. There's a mod to fill that "gap" with smaller trees: tiny trees
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

LNJ

by LNJ » Sat Feb 28, 2015 15:27

Sokomine wrote:... Jungletree wood used to be a lot darker than it is now; the old color was more practical for diffrent types of buildings.

Moretrees cannot fill this gap as moretree trees are too large for convenient harvesting. Instead, a few more normal trees with diffrent wood types would be far more helpful and make the game more intresting. The pine trees are a good start.

My opinion!

==========================================

I know the mods Tiny trees and More Trees but I don't want to have all the trees from them!
I think that Modpacks would be better so you can choose which tree you want to have.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Sat Feb 28, 2015 18:00

I'll toss in my 2 cents.

Sokomine is right, colored woods do make for better looking houses, more so when built by players who create nice looking stuff.

She is also right about the MoreTrees' trees being too big. Most players only harvest what they can reach from the ground leaving "floating" trees; too few make the effort to harvest the whole tree and replant a sapling in its place.

As for more colored wood and textures of wood in the default game, why not use the dyes that are already there?

Just like wool, use the default dyes to stain the wood from the three default trees. Each tree could provide a different grained wood.

If you want even more variety of wood grains - add sand to the recipe (think "sandpaper") to extend the wood grain options.

Another idea would be to use the screwdriver (think "chisel") as a recipe item with wood to craft carved textures for table-top slabs, crown molding,... any variety of patterns in wood.
.: Minetest 0.4.14 ~ Linux Mint ~ A moka pot, a French press, a dirty coffee cup, and a spoiled-rotten kitty :.
Visit our Minetest server at: LinuxGaming2.com, port 30000
Screenshots, overview maps, and server info at: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5684
My blog: http://lazyjminetest.blogspot.com/

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 18:56

I wish apple trees would be individual trees with own wood and own saplings and re-growing apples and not only regular trees with a chance of apples being generated.

LNJ

by LNJ » Sat Feb 28, 2015 20:53

Linuxdirk wrote:I wish apple trees would be individual trees with own wood and own saplings and re-growing apples and not only regular trees with a chance of apples being generated.

In the screenshot I use a private mod from me and there the apple trees has their own saplings!
If you want I can present it into the forum.
But it doesn't generating something.

========

LazyJ wrote:
She is also right about the MoreTrees' trees being too big. Most players only harvest what they can reach from the ground leaving "floating" trees; too few make the effort to harvest the whole tree and replant a sapling in its place.

As for more colored wood and textures of wood in the default game, why not use the dyes that are already there?

Just like wool, use the default dyes to stain the wood from the three default trees. Each tree could provide a different grained wood.

Good idea!
But then we have to create a lot of textures! =D

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

Re: Apple trees with their own wood?

by philipbenr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 22:24

I originally thought the apple trees without apples were elm trees, and the apple trees were apple trees. I honestly think that we should have an elm, a birch, an apple, a pine, and a jungle tree for minetest_game, as they would really make the default game nicer, and much more appealing.

LNJ

by LNJ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 16:25

philipbenr wrote:I originally thought the apple trees without apples were elm trees, and the apple trees were apple trees. I honestly think that we should have an elm, a birch, an apple, a pine, and a jungle tree for minetest_game, as they would really make the default game nicer, and much more appealing.

I think if we would have more trees, Minetest be much more interesting and beautiful.

My friend (jbb) thought about chestnut trees with ramifications at the top.

My next project is a pure birch tree mod(with textures from jbb again)!

riff

IRC: riff
In-game: riff

by riff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 19:02

I think minetest should be uniqe so yeah, apple trees :-)
also apple is a hardwood so if this really does get added then maybe it could be better than normal wood for trees
I used to be registered as nextmissinglink but I kinda want to start fresh.

LNJ

by LNJ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 19:56

riff wrote:I think minetest should be uniqe so yeah, apple trees :-)
also apple is a hardwood so if this really does get added then maybe it could be better than normal wood for trees

Yes, good idea!
But I don't think that this comes into the default.
Now I don't really want it (but in my game).

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 03:01

It isn't really hard to change the "hardness" of wood, or any node, for that matter. It all comes down to a number change.

ParaklataChotou

GitHub: paraklatachotou
IRC: CareBearWhoCares
In-game: AutistCortana

by ParaklataChotou » Wed Aug 10, 2016 00:59

Hello, greetings. I was playing your server, but you banned me so quickly. I was trying to make a lava pool. I accidentally added a lava block outside the hole, but I was taking a bucket to remove the lava... and then you banned me. If you though that I was trolling, that's not true. I was trying to build a lava pool. I would thank an answer.
Visit my server: freextress.ddnsking.com 30002 . mobs, npcs, interesting places, pvp.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:15

^ Please use a PM instead of bumping an old topic.

By the way Minetest used to only have one type of tree, the appletree, so nodes were named 'tree' and 'wood' and haven't been changed since because it would break too much stuff. So 'tree' = appletree, 'wood' = appletree wood.

iZacZip

GitHub: N-A
IRC: iZacZip
In-game: iZacZip-Zac-Zippy

by iZacZip » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:55

No. I'm voting no. We have apple trees with the More-Trees mod, there is no point in making more.
Sincerely, iZacZip.

I'm mostly found as iZacZip.
Preferably call me Zac or iZac.
If I'm in-game and don't reply:
I'm AFK, playing without the chat,
or not bothering to type.

"Don't know where you kids are-
in the house? Turn off the Internet,
and I'm sure they'll turn up straight away."~Anonymous

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:18

TenPlus1 wrote:The default tree in minetest IS an apple tree, some spawn randomly with fruit while others do not...

though it was an oak........
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:45

If the “default” tree is supposed to be an apple tree, why not simply renaming the nodes?

- “Tree” → “Apple Tree” (actually should be “Apple tree trunk” but for some reason tree trunks are called “trees” in Minetest Game)
- “Leaves” → “Apple Tree Leaves”
and so on.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 06:21

It is being frequently states that the default trees are apple trees. However, they are not named/id'd as such - the tree trunk is default:tree and the leaves are default:leaves. If they are truly supposed to be apple trees, it would make sense that the nodes are id'd default:tree_apple and default:leaves_apple or something like that.

I am working on a mod which adds different types of tool handles (but it isn't the main feature) - I call the handle made with default:wood "toolhandle_applewood", which when observed does not make sense because the names of default:tree and default:leaves are just "Tree" and "Leaves", respectively. If they are truly supposed to be apple trees, the names should reflect that, but currently they do not. So, either apples need to be moved to a new tree that is actually called "Apple" outside of a single-line comment somewhere in the code, and the "regular" trees left without apples, - or, the nodes need to be re-id'd and re-named such that they are default:tree_apple and default:leaves_apple, and the names being "Apple Tree" and "Apple Leaves" respectively.

Leaving it the way it is now is wrong, because the current implementation is self-contradictory, even without the mod I am working on. If nothing is done, it will continue to be wrong.

Don't say that renaming the nodes will cause problems - that's what minetest.register_alias() is for.

EDIT:
Wuzzy wrote:If the “default” tree is supposed to be an apple tree, why not simply renaming the nodes?

- “Tree” → “Apple Tree” (actually should be “Apple tree trunk” but for some reason tree trunks are called “trees” in Minetest Game)
- “Leaves” → “Apple Tree Leaves”
and so on.

I didn't see this one yet, that basically sums up what I just said, except for the part about tool handles and the part about leaving "regular trees" without apples

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 19:32

Perhaps they were not changed because until recently trees were either spawned with apples to be appletrees or spawned without to be some generic tree. In mgv6 there are 2 noises: 'trees' and 'apple trees' suggesting only some are actually appletrees.

Now there's a good case for renaming, but might not be worth the breakage.
The generic 'tree' nodes may be in use for other types of tree.

Next

Return to Minetest Features