In-game Translator

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

In-game Translator

by BBmine » Thu Mar 09, 2017 02:27

My friend Arisha_L is Russian, and knows hardly any English. She was on her phone, so she couldn't use a translator. I went to Google Translate to translate a message into Russian. This was the Russian message: Нажмите кнопку подписки на моем канале. When I went back to Minetest, I did Ctrl+C and just got gobbledy-goop. I'm not saying Russian is gobbledy-goop, I'm talking about random numbers and backslashes. Beast24 gave me a great idea. What if we had an in-game translator? I've heard people talking about some sort of translate thing, but I don't know much about it.
God's not dead!
I actually did mine walls before I started playing this game....
Mods, Servers, and My Youtube Channel
Let us remember Just Test on April 16.
"Together, we will make America great again!" --President Trump
Please vote for the next video I should do here
I'm the most rottenist potato in the fridge.
Copyright (c) 2017 Baggins Inc. (tm) All rights reserved.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: In-game Translator

by Wuzzy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 06:53

How about we simply finish the translatability of Minetest so we don't need any crazy hacks or Google Translate in the first place? There's no native mod translation system in place yet (only the main menu can be translated), so the fix for the problem would be to implement that.

I don't like your idea, it's too much of a hack and will only yield to low-quality translations (if any at all). And I'm pretty sure nobody with more than 5 brain cells wants to maintain such an unholy mess.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Sat Mar 11, 2017 16:20

Wuzzy wrote:And I'm pretty sure nobody with more than 5 brain cells wants to maintain such an unholy mess.

But if they had 5 or less brain cells, they sure wouldn't do it :P
God's not dead!
I actually did mine walls before I started playing this game....
Mods, Servers, and My Youtube Channel
Let us remember Just Test on April 16.
"Together, we will make America great again!" --President Trump
Please vote for the next video I should do here
I'm the most rottenist potato in the fridge.
Copyright (c) 2017 Baggins Inc. (tm) All rights reserved.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 17:51

Wuzzy wrote:How about we simply finish the translatability of Minetest so we don't need any crazy hacks or Google Translate in the first place? There's no native mod translation system in place yet (only the main menu can be translated), so the fix for the problem would be to implement that.

There is still "intlib" that you can use for translating the mods yourself. Even tho it's not implemented in the game (the last i've seen into the default subgame, intlib was not present, please correct me if i'm wrong), and you have to download it to the translations to work...
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 19:26

Of course I know about intllib, I've been using it extensively for almost all my mods. :-)

But I will be more than glad to replace it with a real translation system provided by Minetest itself.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 22:42

Wuzzy wrote:Of course I know about intllib, I've been using it extensively for almost all my mods. :-)

But I will be more than glad to replace it with a real translation system provided by Minetest itself.

That the game by itself translate the lines? Or that you can actually add translations without including any mod as intlib for making them work?
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Minetest Features