[Game] Voxus (cancelled)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by rubenwardy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 17:49

I like the cardboard boxes. It's a good idea.

TG-MyinaWD

GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Fri Jan 16, 2015 18:37

Kenney wrote:You carry a crafting book and by pressing a key you can open the book, you then select one of the items and nodes you want to create and the system will tell you which items you'll need to create the node. Once you've got all the items required, clicking 'craft' will generate the item.

That sounds like how, Minecraft Console Editions work.
But doing it for Minetest sounds so awesome. Keep the awesome textures, and ideas coming Kenney.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

Kenney

In-game: Kenney

by Kenney » Fri Jan 16, 2015 18:44

Alt. Tester wrote:That sounds like how, Minecraft Console Editions work.
But doing it for Minetest sounds so awesome. Keep the awesome textures, and ideas coming Kenney.

Never played the console edition but judging from a gameplay video it's indeed similar, although they still (naturally) rely on Minecraft's original crafting system.

Here's a mock-up of Voxus':

Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Jan 16, 2015 19:32

Alt. Tester wrote:
Kenney wrote:You carry a crafting book and by pressing a key you can open the book, you then select one of the items and nodes you want to create and the system will tell you which items you'll need to create the node. Once you've got all the items required, clicking 'craft' will generate the item.

That sounds like how, Minecraft Console Editions work.

ha, look beyond our immediate competitors in our little niche of video/computer games. Among others for example "The Forest" has a nice survival guide with multiple pages somewhat sorted categories and what seems a system of using blueprints. For all it's worth a Minetest version of the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" is still the one mod I'm desperately waiting for ;-P

But looking at our own community creations, maybe "Realtest" offers some insight into a pretty different crafting system apart from the default system.

...and for all the nice pictures of things to come I can just drooooooooooool and can hardly await something to test.
(maybe a little prerelease texture pack?)

Kenney

by Kenney » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:32

Worked a lot on the back-end of things, so didn't have time to add anything visually attractive - except for this gravel path node:

Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

TriBlade9

by TriBlade9 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:01

As usual, the only adequate reply is. "<3" (especially the leaves)

Shakajiub

GitHub: Shakajiub
In-game: Shakajiub

by Shakajiub » Sun Jan 18, 2015 17:55

I'd just like to say that this looks superb. I really can't wait to see more. Admittedly, as a game programming student I've used your assets from OpenGameArt quite a few times on my prototypes, since I really like your style. The textures you have made for this game look amazingly good.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sun Jan 18, 2015 20:18

'Tis truly sad that smooth lighting doesn't work very well on stairs, slabs, nboxes and the likes. Anyhow, Great work so far. Are you planning on giving out a copy of the game to alpha testers or not? I bet a lot of people here would love to be alpha/beta testers for this subgame.

TG-MyinaWD

by TG-MyinaWD » Sun Jan 18, 2015 22:29

Kenney wrote:Worked a lot on the back-end of things, so didn't have time to add anything visually attractive - except for this gravel path node:

+ Image

That a cool path I had an idea do this for few my Nodes into but I think it wouldn't be somewhat interesting. But am I wrong. Yours make it so amazing. I might then keep the idea had. Now if you can make the water nodebox that high when filled it would like unique. and really different. But I think it hardcoded the whole formal. Anyhow nice see it turning out.

And If thinking allow few people test it I vote C55 be the First to try :3 That if he not busy.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 18:09

Alt. Tester wrote:
Kenney wrote:Worked a lot on the back-end of things, so didn't have time to add anything visually attractive - except for this gravel path node:

+ Image

That a cool path I had an idea do this for few my Nodes into but I think it wouldn't be somewhat interesting. But am I wrong. Yours make it so amazing. I might then keep the idea had. Now if you can make the water nodebox that high when filled it would like unique. and really different. But I think it hardcoded the whole formal. Anyhow nice see it turning out.

And If thinking allow few people test it I vote C55 be the First to try :3 That if he not busy.

Agreed. I think c55 should be the first one to try this, even if there aren't to be any testers

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Mon Jan 19, 2015 21:13

c55 wouldn't. He's shown he wants to move on from Minetest.

Move along people nothing to see here.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

zlsa

GitHub: zlsa
IRC: zlsa
In-game: matrixx

by zlsa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 01:59

This is beautiful. It took me a while to realize that you're the same person on /r/gamedev/ with your assets there. All your work is incredible; like others have said, this doesn't look like Minetest at all.

Melkor

by Melkor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 06:58

Inspirational

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Jan 23, 2015 02:49

Kenney wrote:Here's a bit of testing about with buildings that will spawn in the world, with nature trying to reclaim it's territory;

That's particulary nice! The screenshots also look very good. Textures can change the way the game feels to a very high degree.
A list of my mods can be found here.

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:44

What are the news, Kenney ?

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 18:21

It appears he has set up a website for it: http://kenney.itch.io/voxus
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Kenney

by Kenney » Mon Feb 02, 2015 15:54

Took a quick break from the game to focus on some other projects, will return ASAP :)
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Mon Feb 02, 2015 20:19

+1 good work

Daychilde

by Daychilde » Wed Feb 18, 2015 06:55

This is stunningly amazing. And as someone who starts up new maps and creates a bunch of roads/paths, those paths looks brilliant! I desperately want to play in this world! :)

Kenney

by Kenney » Tue Mar 24, 2015 17:25

Will soon return to developing Voxus, just 1 more project in the way of completely devoting my time to this project. Got some great ideas!

Only thing I'm looking for is an experienced programmer who could help adjust the games source code and do customized builds for the project. If you feel you're up for it (and don't mind a little payment for your time and work!) just leave a message :)
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 18:02

If you provide a list of features you want, developers might get around to adding it. I know you're interested in a new UI system, this is very high on the developer's todo list. You'll still need a programmer for yourself to make things Voxel specific, such as a nice menu (which I imagine you would want). I don't have the know how or the time to do much for you, sorry.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 19:31

Kenney wrote:Will soon return to developing Voxus, just 1 more project in the way of completely devoting my time to this project. Got some great ideas!

Only thing I'm looking for is an experienced programmer who could help adjust the games source code and do customized builds for the project. If you feel you're up for it (and don't mind a little payment for your time and work!) just leave a message :)

I think that Krock might be a bit interested in helping. He does MSVC builds for dev builds, and he has built some for other people, like devmarth, who is working on blockel.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 19:47

Krock has also done builds for me for the NodeBoxEditor. Very helpful.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Tue Mar 24, 2015 19:54

I am not a very experienced programmer, but I have an ubuntu compile-machine lying around. I could compile your stuff if you throw the makefiles with dependencies my way. But then again, so could many others on this forum.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

TG-MyinaWD

by TG-MyinaWD » Thu Mar 26, 2015 06:36

Looking good still Kenney. can't wait to play this.

Btw Congrats Hoodedice on 1337 Post ;) (LEET FTW)

+ hoodedice's 1337 post

macabre222

IRC: Macabre222

by macabre222 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09

No lie, me and my kids check this page and kenny's site daily, we cant wait to try ti out..were a minetest family and love playing together, Keep up the good work :)

bru

by bru » Fri May 01, 2015 19:08

This is incredibly well done.

I'm a huge fan of your textures, same goes with the UI-related stuff. It seems consistent and polished, it has character.

Kenney

by Kenney » Sat May 16, 2015 19:08

Thanks for the kind words everyone :) I'm almost ready to pick up the project again as follows;

Step 1: Design document will be created. The design document describes gameplay features, blocks/items available, the enemies, vehicles and everything else need to launch the first version. I want the first version to be completely playable and make a big impact, that's why I'm holding off with releases (not to create some kind of hype). I'll make sure to open up the design document for others to give feedback and add their own ideas.

Step 2: Find people to help on the project. I'll be handling the graphics (items, textures, models, UI elements, design) and LUA parts of the game while I seek other developers to help improve and add to the Minetest engine. Some big features I'd like to see implemented are shaders (dynamic shadows, water shader etc.) and a better way to display the UI/HUD as well as a user-friendly launcher.

Step 3: Development with an estimated first version release this summer.

Thanks all for supporting :)
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sat May 16, 2015 21:07

Hmmm... I think you are going to have to elaborate more on some of these requests, though I think it is possible...

Kenney

by Kenney » Sat May 16, 2015 23:21

philipbenr wrote:Hmmm... I think you are going to have to elaborate more on some of these requests, though I think it is possible...

Oh no worries, the design document will explain them in detail. Will be looking for a (or multiple?) C++ programmers along the way, see who wants to join the project or find someone who hasn't developed for Minetest before.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Subgames