Found a fix for graphical stuttering/hitching

Badger436

Found a fix for graphical stuttering/hitching

by Badger436 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 02:53

If you are on an ATi Radeon card at least, try disabling "Triple Buffering" under the 3D settings -->> Open Gl settings for the driver in the Catalyst Control Center. Also, for "Wait for Vertical Refresh," I set this value to "Off, unless application specifies" I am using a 1gb HD4870 and wasn't expecting to run into this issue on a game like Minetest considering this card can push 1.2 teraflops of processing power. Apparently there is some kind of conflict with this setting and Minetest, however, because even at 60 fps, I still had slight jittering, especially when generating blocks or increasing the viewing range, not only would my frame rate plummet, but also, it would become nearly unplayable with constant hitching and freezing. After disabling this setting the game is 10 times smoother on the exact same, fully generated map. between 30 and 60 fps with a viewing range of 350 isn't bad at all. Funny... considering triple buffering is only supposed to be active during enabled vsync but that's what fixed it for me. Good luck!

-Badger436

PS: This may work with nVidia cards if you are having a similar problem, but I am not familiar with their drivers.

Here is my Minetest.conf:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
anisotropic_filter = 1
bilinear_filter = 0
creative_mode = 1
enable_3d_clouds = 1
enable_damage = 1
enable_particles = 1
enable_shaders = 2
mip_map = 1
name = Badger436
new_style_leaves = 1
opaque_water = 0
port = 30000
preload_item_visuals = 1
selected_mainmenu_tab = 0
smooth_lighting = 1
trilinear_filter = 0
vsync = false
Last edited by Badger436 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Feb 21, 2013 09:48

Badger436 wrote: Also, for "Wait for Vertical Refresh," I set this value to "Off, unless application specifies"

With vertial sync, you can't have more frames per second than your screen can show (60 on 99% of screens). However, vertial sync adds input latency.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 13:06

Calinou wrote:
Badger436 wrote: Also, for "Wait for Vertical Refresh," I set this value to "Off, unless application specifies"

With vertial sync, you can't have more frames per second than your screen can show (60 on 99% of screens). However, vertial sync adds input latency.

75 Hz isn't that uncommon.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Badger436

by Badger436 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 05:30

Yes, and my monitor is definitely 60 hz. however, I think it was a driver conflict with the inner workings of the game. At least for my own personal situation, because as soon as I changed those settings, the play-ability of the game improved 100%. :)

Return to Minetest Problems