Minetest 0.4.15: clean the surface game and biomes

Codesound

Minetest 0.4.15: clean the surface game and biomes

by Codesound » Sat Dec 24, 2016 08:11

Windows10_x64, Minetest 0.4.15_x64
Hi,

- In all the mapgens, there is a way to generate less mountains (or hills), holes (caves), the sea, so that the playing surface a bit more clean and extended?

- also you can make sure that the biomes are much larger? Currently, in a day's walk I see them all ...

what I wrong?

Many and many thanks for all!!!

R

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest 0.4.15: clean the surface game and biomes

by sorcerykid » Sat Dec 24, 2016 15:41

To disable caves you will need to set the "nocaves" flag for mg_flags in the your map_meta.txt file. As an alternative, I made a patch for the mgv7 cave generator so that you can disable just the caverns (those gigantic caves), but still allow tunnels (the smaller, scattered caves) and only at specified depths. My cave patch only works for Minetest 0.4.13, altho I have updates in the works for later releases.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16059

Option 1:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mg_flags = trees, nocaves, nodungeons, noflat, light, decorations

Option 2 (with cave patch):
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
mg_name = v7
mgv7_spflags = nomountains, ridges, nocaverns, tunnels
caves_bedrock_level = -8000
caves_surface_level = -70

As for eliminating mountains and rivers, that will require setting the "nomountains" and "noridges" flags of mgv7_spflags. Keep in mind you might still get some wild looking cliffs and valleys, so you'll definitely want to fine tune "mgv7_np_terrain_persist" as well as "mgv7_np_height_select". These settings should produce a much flatter landscape, with a few occasional hills and more gradual inclines:

mgv7_np_height_select = {
        flags = defaults
        lacunarity = 2
        octaves = 4
        offset = -0.5
        persistence = 0.69
        scale = 1
        seed = 4213
        spread = (500,500,500)

mgv7_np_terrain_persist = {
        flags = defaults
        lacunarity = 2
        octaves = 3
        offset = 0.6
        persistence = 0.6
        scale = 0.1
        seed = 539
        spread = (500,500,500)
}
mgv7_spflags = nomountains, noridges, nocaverns, tunnels

You can adjust the biomes within the mapgen.lua file from the "default" mod of minetest_game (look for the section titled "Register biomes"). The parameters that you are concerned with are heat_point, humidity_point, y_min, and y_max.

Codesound

by Codesound » Wed Dec 28, 2016 09:58

Hi,

many and many thanks for your reply!
I'll try your suggestions in the next few days.... thanks again.....

R

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 18:11

> a way to generate less mountains (or hills), holes (caves), the sea,

It's complex to undrstand, but altering the mapgen noise parameters can radically reshape the world and the caves. There's also a 'cave width' parameter in all mapgens except mgv6.

See the first 29 lines of this mod for how to adjust biome size https://github.com/paramat/newbiomes/blob/master/init.lua just increase the 'spread' numbers from 1000 to something bigger.
You can also set these heat/humidity noise parameters in minetest.conf (see minetest.conf.example for how) or in advanced settings.

Punk

by Punk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 01:09

I do not know if this is correlated, but some default settiings is not really default.

New zip minetest 0.4.15:

max_block_generate_distance 7

Restore to default:

max_block_generate_distance 6

mg_flags dungeons

Restore to default:

mg_flags caves,dungeons,light,decorations

What are settings really default? What are best settings?

Thanks!

Codesound

by Codesound » Sat Dec 31, 2016 17:21

Hi,

I tried with your suggestions and now works! No caverns, no dungeons, the surface is cleaned.
the "magic" string is:
mg_flags = nocaves, nodungeons, light, decorations

but the order of the operations is very important!
1 - I create one world
2 - I change the script
3 - I start the world

If I start the world just made BEFORE you change the script, the changes do not appear....

a very important thing that I did not know, is the close relationship that it has with the script and the game: many and many changes is possible only just changing the script....

thanks at all.....
R

KCoombes

In-game: Knatt or Rudilyn

by KCoombes » Sat Dec 31, 2016 23:09

paramat wrote:> a way to generate less mountains (or hills), holes (caves), the sea,

It's complex to undrstand, but altering the mapgen noise parameters can radically reshape the world and the caves. There's also a 'cave width' parameter in all mapgens except mgv6.

See the first 29 lines of this mod for how to adjust biome size https://github.com/paramat/newbiomes/blob/master/init.lua just increase the 'spread' numbers from 1000 to something bigger.
You can also set these heat/humidity noise parameters in minetest.conf (see minetest.conf.example for how) or in advanced settings.

Thank you for that info - is there a way to selectively increase/decrease biome size?

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 16:34

You mean adjust biome size per-biome? Yes, you will need to edit the 'heat/humidity points', the size of the voronoi cells shown here https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15939 controls biome size.

Return to Minetest Problems