gsmapper + map mod

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: gsmapper + map mod

by Inocudom » Wed Jul 02, 2014 00:55

Jordach wrote:
Inocudom wrote:How would a programmer address the issue of unknown nodes causing gsmapper to crash? I guess something similar to what was done in minetestmapper could be a viable solution. When gsmapper comes back, he could use whatever solution is proposed.

It's trying to get a texture to use as a colour, and failing non-gracefully.

I am by no means a programmer, but I guess the only solution to that problem is to tell gsmapper to ignore unknown nodes, unknown entities, and unknown items.

Apparently, gsmapper must either hate a certain process or a certain node in the following mod:
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8772

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Jul 03, 2014 19:20

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/commit/b8343cd11c834fb2613b104418ed08e9fdb1665a
Amaz, is your fork of the gsmapper branch up to speed with the master branch? In order for it to have the commit linked to above, it will need to be.

The player cursor in gsmapper appears to be invisible.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:39

Still works for me, though I'm dropping this. It seems that there's just not enough interest in this, which is a shame. Feel free to fork it or whatever. It is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Jul 07, 2014 18:21

gsmanners wrote:Still works for me, though I'm dropping this. It seems that there's just not enough interest in this, which is a shame. Feel free to fork it or whatever. It is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it.

I knew that this would be the fate of gsmapper. I don't know of anyone who could or would continue work on it.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Jul 08, 2014 15:23

gsmanners wrote:Still works for me, though I'm dropping this. It seems that there's just not enough interest in this, which is a shame. Feel free to fork it or whatever. It is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it.

There *is* intrest for this. I just didn't get around to test it :-( Plus it was most likely written for an older version of MT and will need adjustments/rebase when integrating into the current version?

If I understood the comments regarding your patch to Minetest correctly, the problem with it was that it needs to be adjusted to the current version (that's always necessary as long as it's not part of the official or dev version) and that the liscence is GPL, while Minetest requires LGPL for the engine. Now, if you write "feel free to fork it or whatever" and "it is open source and I honestly don't care what you do with it", that sounds to me as if LGPL would be acceptable to you as well? Don't give up so easily on enigne updates! It's not easy to get them through :-) Just keep going and get it integrated!
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Jul 08, 2014 16:29

Jordach wrote:
Inocudom wrote:How would a programmer address the issue of unknown nodes causing gsmapper to crash? I guess something similar to what was done in minetestmapper could be a viable solution. When gsmapper comes back, he could use whatever solution is proposed.

It's trying to get a texture to use as a colour, and failing non-gracefully.

This fatal error would have to be fixed by somebody first.

Yes, it is very difficult to get the masses interested in something, unless you know the right sciences.

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Tue Jul 08, 2014 18:19

The masses would be interested if it is in the master branch.
I thing.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:38

I am interested in this.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:24

I'd be interested when the xray-like cave view gets removed.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:35

Krock wrote:I'd be interested when the xray-like cave view gets removed.

Why? I don't know why it is a bad thing to have, as long as it requires a privilege to use. I am also interested in this. (maybe in developing it, but I don't know c very well)

proller

by proller » Mon Jul 14, 2014 17:25

Merged to freeminer (disabled by default)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Jul 15, 2014 16:40

proller wrote:Merged to freeminer (disabled by default)

Even if disabled by default, that is still progress.

What will you do about the unknown node error?

proller

by proller » Wed Jul 16, 2014 19:38

Inocudom wrote:What will you do about the unknown node error?

maybe fixed, need test.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 20:24

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp: In member function ‘bool ServerMap::initBlockMake(BlockMakeData*, v3s16)’:
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp:2597:21: warning: unused variable ‘sector’ [-Wunused-variable]
    ServerMapSector *sector = createSector(sectorpos);
                     ^
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp: In member function ‘std::string ServerMap::getSectorDir(v2s16, int)’:
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp:3265:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
 }
 ^

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Jul 21, 2014 20:35

stormchaser3000 wrote:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp: In member function ‘bool ServerMap::initBlockMake(BlockMakeData*, v3s16)’:
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp:2597:21: warning: unused variable ‘sector’ [-Wunused-variable]
    ServerMapSector *sector = createSector(sectorpos);
                     ^
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp: In member function ‘std::string ServerMap::getSectorDir(v2s16, int)’:
/home/stormchaser3000/minetest-gsmapper/src/map.cpp:3265:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
 }
 ^

You did not say why you posted that.

Amaz

GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 20:38

I updated my branch of this to the latest dev version, and added proller's fix, which seems to work. Github: https://github.com/Amaz1/minetest/tree/ ... r-uptodate
Krock's Build: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9515&p=149036#p149036

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Jul 25, 2014 15:19

Amaz wrote:I updated my branch of this to the latest dev version, and added proller's fix, which seems to work. Github: https://github.com/Amaz1/minetest/tree/ ... r-uptodate

Your version seems to differ hugely from the latest git version. Is there a way to just include the patches for the mapper into the current dev build? Inocudom has made so much advertisement for it, and I do get lost in caves so often, I'd really love to have that functionality. I didn't get around to test it up until now. Apart from that, my minetest version differs in two aspects from the normal dev one: It has sfan5's map saving function integrated (plus per server/port saving instead of just localmap), and it has that can't-build-where-you-stand "patch" reverted.

twoelk

by twoelk » Sat Jul 26, 2014 16:00

Sokomine wrote:...It has sfan5's map saving function integrated...

I stopped fiddling with that when I wrecked my toolchain for personal winbuilds so I still use the 047 version where it works.
Sokomine wrote:...(plus per server/port saving instead of just localmap)...
now that would save me a lot of renaming folders. I would really like to have a toggle function for these features in mainstream.

But back to this thread,
as gsmapper creates mape tiles, could it dump these in a local folder? They could be used for slippy maps such as the google-maps api, openlayers or leaflet.

kidmondo

IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

by kidmondo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 04:40

People, can someone please explain to me how to get this mod to work, i am a bit of a noob :P

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Sep 20, 2014 04:46

kidmondo wrote:People, can someone please explain to me how to get this mod to work, i am a bit of a noob :P

It's not a mod as such. At least not the main part that's integrated into the client. You have to patch the source code. And adjust it whenever that part of the source code changes.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 04:50

This is not a mod, but a patch. You can find it in the fork of Minetest known as Freeminer:
http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/craigs-32-bit-windows-freeminer-builds.124/
http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/jojoa1997s-32bit-builds.132/
These two topics link to the development builds for Windows ('cause the stable version shown on the home page of the website is way to old.)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Sep 20, 2014 04:55

Inocudom wrote:ause the stable version shown on the home page of the website is way to old

I had applied Amaz' version some time ago to a copy of the current git version. That worked eventually, but it is tiresome to keep it up to date. I eventually gave up and only keep the save to localmap (with folders named server_port) up to date.

Another reason why I gave up on gsmapper is that the map size I want depends on the situation. When actually consulting the map, it has to be sufficiently large in order to see anything. Such a big map then disturbs normal gameplay (reading signs, accessing chests etc). What turned out to be most useful was the "compass needle" indicating the look direction. That alone might help a lot with orientation.

PatrocloPicchiaduro

In-game: PatrocloPicchiaduro

by PatrocloPicchiaduro » Fri Sep 26, 2014 09:05

Will this ever be included in the next version of Minetest, like 4.11+?

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:57

Minimap will be implemented in core in the future. But definitely not in this form. Its laggy, doesnt have zoom, textures are just single pixels.
At its current stage i can hardly believe proller merged it into fm.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 15:22

RealBadAngel wrote:Minimap will be implemented in core in the future. But definitely not in this form. Its laggy, doesnt have zoom, textures are just single pixels.

It's still useful, however (as in, I use it.) It is not an abysmal piece of garbage, but it does need some improvements.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Oct 14, 2014 18:17

RealBadAngel wrote:Minimap will be implemented in core in the future. But definitely not in this form. Its laggy, doesnt have zoom, textures are just single pixels.

just remove the laggy part and keep the other one

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Mon May 11, 2015 14:29

I just started to rework gsmanners code and here are the effects:
Underground scanner - scans for air:
This is how it works over surface:

Surface scanner - its dynamic and not bound to specific level, areas closer to you get brighter:

How do you like it?

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Mon May 11, 2015 15:00

lf it doesn't cause much lag then l like it.

twoelk

by twoelk » Mon May 11, 2015 15:32

/me wants
where can I test

even if the little map doesn't get added straight away - adding that little arrow to mainstream would be extremely usefull

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon May 11, 2015 18:22

Excellent work. Good to see you with us again.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Engine