[Mod] Villages for Minetest [mg_villages]

Spaghetti Developer

GitHub: SpaghettiDeveloper
In-game: Spaghetti Developer

Re: [Mod] Villages for Minetest [mg_villages]

by Spaghetti Developer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 09:31

Hajo :D The bug you described I noticed I even them. There is also the problem of the chat system which generates a lot of mistakes, and if you open the doors of the houses generated, the game crashes, I found the solution, you have to break the door, then positions the door again, and not you have more than crash problems ^___^

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Dec 05, 2016 19:31

hajo wrote:How to add new buildings and villagetypes to this mod ?

Please consult the Wiki, in particular regarding village types and buildings.

In general, you have to build the houses first, then save them. The most convenient way to do so is using the build chest from my handle_schematics mod on which mg_villages depends. Just type "/giveme handle_schematics:build 2", walk to the front of your house and place the first chest so that if you look at the chest's front, you'll also look at the front of your house, which will have to stretch behind the chest and to the right. Then walk to the backside of your house. Place the second chest so that the backside of your house stretches behind the second chest and to the right - just like on the front side, but this time with the chest beeing placed high enough so that the height of your building is covered. Set this second chest as the end position, walk back to the front side and save the building. handle_schematics will figure out how your building is rotated and store information about a cellar (you've got to specify that if you have one) inside the filename. I've tried to describe the procedure of saving a house inside the handle_schematics thread. Meldrian has created a video describing how it works on Youtube. There's also a german version available.

After that, it's best to create your own mod. Make it depend on mg_villages (see e.g. for depends.txt. Create a schems/ folder and copy your new buildings into it. Create an init.lua file which contains a line like e.g
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mg_villages.add_building(mg_villages.add_building( { scm="towntest_VanessaE_home1_1_270", mts_path=path, weight={cornernote=1}, inh=-1, typ='house'});

for each of your buildings, with scm="filename_without_extension", mts_path="full_path_to_your_schems_folder", weight={name_of_village_type_where_you_want_this_house_to_appear=weigh, typ=whatever_you_feel_appropriate. All those village_*-mods out there are intended as examples as to how you can do that. Creating your own village type is also very easy.

hajo wrote:And how to get them 'approved' and included in this mod ?

I think it's best to do them as seperate mods, but I'd love to include yours into the next release of my villages modpack, which basicly is a collection of mods needed (mg_villages, hande schematics), useful (cottages, mobf_trader, moresnow) and all the village types so far existing.

hajo wrote:E.g. a wild-west-themed village would need some buildings
like saloon, bank, staples, stores, post office, sheriff's office/jail etc.

Yes, and mg_villages provides all the necessary tools to do that. You can save your buildings easily, let them spawn and make sure you won't get a town consisting only of sheriff offices or banks without anyone living in there :-) (That's what the "weight" and "pervillage" limit are good for; in general, one bank, one sheriffs office, one or two saloons, several stores and of course many houses might be what people will expect).

Andrey01 wrote:I like that mod, but it isn`t the most interesting mod.Probably, do you use mods are more interesting than that one:
1.Home Decor 2.Ethereal 3.Not So Simple Mobs (together with Not So Simple Buildings) 4.Vehicles 5.Advanced Trains
6.City Scapes 7.Plantlife 8.Space

Strange comment. You're free to use the mods and servers you like most. But what is the point in writing in a mod's thread that you're not intrested in this particular mod? If you want to point out that villages without mobs in them are a bit boring - that's right. It feels best if there are at least traders - and even better if said traders move around. Cattle is also very nice to have in villages. Ethereal provides a very good mapgen, and my villages love to appear in Ethereal worlds and use the blocks that mapgen provides.

hajo wrote:I started a game with mg_villages, and I'm still on a tour to see all the buildings.

Sadly, even with all the effort I took, buildings will eventually repeat themshelves. But at least there's some variety in materials.

hajo wrote:* In the info-dialog of the plot-markers, the placing of the price is too close to the text that comes before it, so it overlaps.

That's right. It doesn't look good on smaller screens. I've found no real way to deal with this problem yet. Formspecs are always tricky. Wish they'd be more like HTML. Especially text is tricky. If text of variable length could be displayed in a better way in formspecs, mobs that "talk" to the players and offer multiple-choice-answers could work and provide some small quests to fill the game with more life. Working on the formspecs engine-side isn't as easy either, so...it might still take a while I'm afraid.

hajo wrote:* Also, the range of prices for buildings seems unbalanced

Certainly. The pricing of items offered by traders is also unbalanced. It'd take a game/subgame designer to work it out. The mod provides the functionality, but...to find suitable prices is not easy. They're currently not based on plot size or value of materials but instead on how "expensive" a building with such functionality might be in a village. More or less.

hajo wrote:* The protection is broken: the player can dig holes into houses, remove blocks from road, and can harvest the wheat on the fields, but is not allowed to re-plant seeds.

You can only dig holes into houses if you bought that particular house, you've got the protection_bypass priv, or there's something else broken (other protection mods interfering in the wrong way?). In general, all nodes that are in the group leaves, plus snow and bones can be digged in any village as it would be odd if the inhabitants would object to that (taking your bones back, digging leaves that block your way, picking up snow for a nice snowball-fight - as opposed to tearing down houses).
Planting seeds is another matter. The farming system of minetest_game works by soil using ABMs which look for nearby water and then grow the plant on top of them. The range for the search for water was reduced during the development of mg_villages; thus, the early houses ran dry in their gardens. In addition, the fields around the villages are quite large. Having to run many ABMs just to do nothing would be a vaste of ressources and might cause lag. The soil around villages is a fake. Nothing that demands farming soil can grow on that soil found on village fields. It would even turn dry in most cases. Seeds do not recognice it as soil and thus refuse to be placed there.
The look of plants (random rotation) was also changed recently. I'll have to adjust the wheat and cotton in order to get acceptable fields again. Might be a good time to place some water below the fields in some places and change the fake soil into real one once someone digs the plant on it.

hajo wrote:* Looking at /vmap, the order of the list quite random and some numbers/buildings seem to be missing.
* maybe this map should have scrolling/pageup/pagedown ?

Maybe sorting by village number could help. Even then, not all villages shown will fit into the text list. Scrolling might be a good idea, yes.

hajo wrote:Also, how are the village-names generated ?

They're generated using a name generator that construct names by concatening syllabies and short fragments. As the game is played internationally and English is the most useful language for that, I did some research on old English village names and based the syllables on that.

hajo wrote:A sign with the village-name at both ends of the main road would be nice.

Hmm. At least for some of them. It would look very odd for a medieval village (too people could read there) - but then, some are more modern. Still, a sign on the road would look very odd. A better way would be to let NPC inside the village great the visitor ("Welcome to Xyz. Hope you'll have a nice stay. And, btw, do you know that I sell 1 potatoe for 99 gold bars?"...)

Spaghetti Developer wrote:Hajo :D The bug you described I noticed I even them. There is also the problem of the chat system which generates a lot of mistakes, and if you open the doors of the houses generated, the game crashes, I found the solution, you have to break the door, then positions the door again, and not you have more than crash problems ^___^

The doors where changed in minetest_game from two indirectly connected nodes to one node two nodes high. Please update your version of handle_schematics and mg_villages. I'll release a new version of the modpack soon.
A list of my mods can be found here.

hajo

by hajo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 15:24

hajo wrote:I started a game with mg_villages, and I'm still on a tour to see all the buildings.

Using commands like "/visit 6", I found at least 2 villages where the teleport-spot
was buried in stone, and I had to dig out.
One of those was built near a cliff, and the house partitially inside rock.
Sokomine wrote:
hajo wrote:* The protection is broken: the player can dig holes into houses, remove blocks from road,
and can harvest the wheat on the fields, but is not allowed to re-plant seeds.

You can only dig holes into houses if you bought that particular house,
you've got the protection_bypass priv, or there's something else broken
(other protection mods interfering in the wrong way?).
The soil around villages is a fake. ... Seeds do not recognice it as soil
and thus refuse to be placed there.

It was a fresh game, no cash or anything, so I couldn't buy.
I have no mods installed that mess with protection.

But I could dig a rear entrance into a house, take a fencepost, harvest crops, etc.

The wheat-field had trenches filled with water every 2 rows, and the
message was "inhabitants don't allow modifications" when I tried to re-plant.

Please update your version of handle_schematics and mg_villages.

BTW, I get an errormessage
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
ERROR[Main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "handle_schematics_support.png"
 while building texture .. Creating a dummy image

I also found no texture for that on github
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Thu Dec 08, 2016 09:17

Sokomine my kids and I love your village mod. It is fantastic. I do have one small request, and probably is easy one... sfan's latest minetest build now uses the updated 3d torches as default. It would be cool to see mt_villages:torch nodes follow this update too!

linushsao

IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Thu Dec 08, 2016 15:13

What a Wonderful World....

1).My Server:Mars World
2).address:139.59.238.211:30016
3).manual(in processing):http://tinyurl.com/jyjkrgl
4).for my(admin's) role in all my servers,i'll be as the earth/water/fire/wind. i maintain that system,but not manage/touch players directly in game,not own the crafts on planet. i just keep watching the worlds.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:33

ErrorNull wrote:Sokomine my kids and I love your village mod. It is fantastic. I do have one small request, and probably is easy one... sfan's latest minetest build now uses the updated 3d torches as default. It would be cool to see mt_villages:torch nodes follow this update too!

I also have another idea. How about small villages that spawn in caves or special structures in the nether? It will enhance the underground and make players want to explore underground even more.

BirgitLachner

In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 08:49

Sokomine wrote:
maikerumine wrote:2015-11-20 11:13:57: ERROR[Main]: mod "village_canadian" has unsatisfied dependencies: "hdb" "nbu"
RESOLVED....

Yes, that's right. The village type canadian consists of very special houses that needs mods from Mauvebic in order to be able to spawn. I considered adding alternative nodes for it, but that wouldn't do the buildings any justice. They're best viewed with Mauvebic's mm2 modpack.

Where can I get this mod? I can't find it!

Another thing ... I tried it with the Valley-Mapgen and there where terrible errors as the villages are placed "in" mountais that I got huge walls where the village was built in.

BirgitLachner

In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 09:59

Another problem I already had several times.

There is a problem with the torch as when I added some mods after generating the map the villages torches become unknown (with the special block)
Any ideas which mod causes the problem? Or do I have the possibility to "find" the missing torches? Is the problem known?
I thought that was the mod darkage but even without it, there comes the error.

Thanks.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Wed Dec 21, 2016 15:27

BirgitLachner wrote:Another problem I already had several times.

There is a problem with the torch as when I added some mods after generating the map the villages torches become unknown (with the special block)
Any ideas which mod causes the problem? Or do I have the possibility to "find" the missing torches? Is the problem known?

Thanks.

I recently played with mg_villages mod without any issues with the torches. I don't believe you need darkage to make the torches work. Try running the game without any mods but only mg_villages first and see if the torches work. then slowly add back your other mods one by one and you'll discover which mod will cause the issue.

Spaghetti Developer

GitHub: SpaghettiDeveloper
In-game: Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 18:32

ErrorNull wrote:
BirgitLachner wrote:Another problem I already had several times.

Thanks.

I recently played with mg_villages mod without any issues with the torches. I don't believe you need darkage to make the torches work. Try running the game without any mods but only mg_villages first and see if the torches work. then slowly add back your other mods one by one and you'll discover which mod will cause the issue.

to me only the doors give problems, I have to break them and add them back to the hotel, I did a little editing and works best but it is not entirely stable. As soon as I work out quite public the modified code.

CuriousNoob

re : mod-security with handle_schematics

by CuriousNoob » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:15

Hi Sokomine

Firstly please let me echo other people's sentiments that your contributions to this FOSS game-space are very much appreciated.

As posted elsewhere, for reasons of monthly data-caps, I've recently been trying Sub-Games singleplayer offline locally.

One of these sub-games (''aftermath'') includes your Villages mod, but after finding it badly broken I've been trying to approach troubleshooting in a rational manner --- hence my post here.

I am not (knowingly) trying to import schems from other worlds ... this is about new-world generation.

A functional Villages feature is my end-goal, and because mg_villages depends on handle_schematics, I wasn't sure which thread to use, so decided to post here first as more users might follow the same route while bug-hunting. I suppose I could post it on the handle_schematics thread too, just in case.

Problem :

I today (2017-01-17) downloaded your latest ''mg_villages'' and ''handle_schematics'' zips from GitHub, extracted them, stripped the ''-master'' suffix and copied the folders to my ~/.minetest/mods/ directory.

Freshly launching the latest daily 0.4.15-dev from minetestdevs ppa repo, in the GUI singleplayer tab I clicked ''New'' to create a new world based on the standard vanilla ''Minetest Game.''

I next went to ''Configure'' and enabled ''mg_villages'' and ''handle_schematics'' but no others, then Saved.

Clicking ''Play'' immediately gave the crash-message dialogue-box.

It appears to be a mod-security thing :

ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/user/.minetest/mods/mg_villages/init.lua:
Mod security: Blocked attempted read from mg_all_villages.data
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'open'
...user/.minetest/mods/handle_schematics/save_restore.lua:24: in function 'restore_data'
/home/user/.minetest/mods/mg_villages/init.lua:27: in main chunk

I have already done as you indicated in the [handle_schematics] thread first post, adding ''secure.trusted_mods = handle_schematics'' to the minetest.conf file.

This setting is also confirmed in the GUI >>> Settings >>> Advanced Settings >>> +Server / SinglePlayer >>> +Security

( Please note however, in your edited first post for [handle_schematics] there seems to be a typo, the final ''s'' is missing. )

So then, apart from disabling mod-security, is there anything else I can do as an end-user..?

Or is this something only you as the author can fix..?

Hope to hear

Thanks

Grepped from debug.txt :

42:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Selected world: 20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553 [/home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553]
43:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Attempting to use OpenAL audio
44:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Audio: Initializing...
45:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Audio: Initialized: OpenAL 1.1 ALSOFT 1.16.0, using OpenAL Soft
46:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Server created for gameid "minetest" in simple singleplayer mode
47:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: - world:  /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553
48:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: - game:   /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game
49:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Initializing world at /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553
50:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="Default" index=0 uid=61
51:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: EmergeManager: using 1 threads
52:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: BanManager: loading from /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553/ipban.txt
53:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: BanManager: failed loading from /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553/ipban.txt
54:2017-01-17 11:44:01: WARNING[Main]: BanManager: creating /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553/ipban.txt
55:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ServerMap: Metadata loaded from /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553
56:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Server: Initializing Lua
57:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: SCRIPTAPI: Initialized game modules
58:2017-01-17 11:44:01: WARNING[Main]: NodeDefManager: Ignoring CONTENT_IGNORE redefinition
59:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553/auth.txt could not be opened for reading (/home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553/auth.txt: No such file or directory); assuming new world
60:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Server: Loading mods: sethome screwdriver killme dye default xpanes wool farming stairs beds walls vessels sfinv creative nyancat give_initial_stuff flowers fire tnt doors handle_schematics mg_villages carts bucket bones boats
61:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [sethome     ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/sethome/init.lua"]
62:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Could not load player homes file: /home/user/.minetest/worlds/20170117_StdMTG_05_10013553/homes: No such file or directory
63:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [screwdriver ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/screwdriver/init.lua"]
64:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [killme      ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/killme/init.lua"]
65:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [dye         ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/dye/init.lua"]
66:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [default     ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/init.lua"]
67:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="icesheet" index=1 uid=124
68:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="icesheet_ocean" index=2 uid=14
69:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="tundra" index=3 uid=77
70:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="tundra_beach" index=4 uid=67
71:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="tundra_ocean" index=5 uid=54
72:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="taiga" index=6 uid=32
73:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="taiga_ocean" index=7 uid=66
74:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="snowy_grassland" index=8 uid=123
75:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="snowy_grassland_ocean" index=9 uid=112
76:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="grassland" index=10 uid=54
77:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="grassland_dunes" index=11 uid=34
78:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="grassland_ocean" index=12 uid=46
79:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="coniferous_forest" index=13 uid=68
80:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="coniferous_forest_dunes" index=14 uid=86
81:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="coniferous_forest_ocean" index=15 uid=123
82:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="deciduous_forest" index=16 uid=116
83:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="deciduous_forest_shore" index=17 uid=56
84:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="deciduous_forest_ocean" index=18 uid=121
85:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="desert" index=19 uid=55
86:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="desert_ocean" index=20 uid=101
87:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="sandstone_desert" index=21 uid=101
88:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="sandstone_desert_ocean" index=22 uid=104
89:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="cold_desert" index=23 uid=106
90:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="cold_desert_ocean" index=24 uid=24
91:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="savanna" index=25 uid=110
92:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="savanna_shore" index=26 uid=103
93:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="savanna_ocean" index=27 uid=37
94:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="rainforest" index=28 uid=29
95:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="rainforest_swamp" index=29 uid=43
96:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="rainforest_ocean" index=30 uid=96
97:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added biome: name="underground" index=31 uid=104
98:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=0 uid=124
99:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=1 uid=110
100:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=2 uid=93
101:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=3 uid=120
102:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=4 uid=97
103:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=5 uid=31
104:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=6 uid=101
105:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=7 uid=117
106:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=8 uid=44
107:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=9 uid=47
108:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=10 uid=68
109:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=11 uid=49
110:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=12 uid=37
111:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=13 uid=57
112:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=14 uid=102
113:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=15 uid=50
114:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=16 uid=85
115:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=17 uid=62
116:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=18 uid=58
117:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=19 uid=44
118:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=20 uid=99
119:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=21 uid=112
120:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=22 uid=106
121:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added ore: name="" index=23 uid=15
122:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/apple_tree.mts" index=0 uid=77
123:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=0 uid=49
124:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="" index=1 uid=125
125:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=1 uid=104
126:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/jungle_tree.mts" index=2 uid=118
127:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=2 uid=59
128:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="" index=3 uid=49
129:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=3 uid=126
130:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/pine_tree.mts" index=4 uid=35
131:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=4 uid=104
132:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="" index=5 uid=3
133:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=5 uid=52
134:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/acacia_tree.mts" index=6 uid=20
135:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=6 uid=85
136:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="" index=7 uid=119
137:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=7 uid=111
138:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/aspen_tree.mts" index=8 uid=29
139:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=8 uid=98
140:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="" index=9 uid=73
141:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=9 uid=98
142:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/large_cactus.mts" index=10 uid=44
143:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=10 uid=97
144:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=11 uid=127
145:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/papyrus.mts" index=11 uid=108
146:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=12 uid=71
147:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/bush.mts" index=12 uid=77
148:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=13 uid=91
149:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/acacia_bush.mts" index=13 uid=10
150:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=14 uid=97
151:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=15 uid=19
152:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=16 uid=58
153:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=17 uid=41
154:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=18 uid=19
155:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=19 uid=81
156:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=20 uid=83
157:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=21 uid=18
158:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=22 uid=112
159:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=23 uid=86
160:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=24 uid=81
161:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=25 uid=32
162:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=26 uid=63
163:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/default/schematics/corals.mts" index=14 uid=99
164:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=27 uid=110
165:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [xpanes      ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/xpanes/init.lua"]
166:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [wool        ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/wool/init.lua"]
167:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [farming     ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/farming/init.lua"]
168:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [stairs      ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/stairs/init.lua"]
169:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [beds        ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/beds/init.lua"]
170:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [walls       ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/walls/init.lua"]
171:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [vessels     ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/vessels/init.lua"]
172:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [sfinv       ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/sfinv/init.lua"]
173:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [creative    ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/creative/init.lua"]
174:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Server creating detached inventory "creative_trash"
175:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [nyancat     ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/nyancat/init.lua"]
176:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [give_initial_stuff] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/give_initial_stuff/init.lua"]
177:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [flowers     ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/flowers/init.lua"]
178:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=28 uid=91
179:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=29 uid=39
180:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=30 uid=102
181:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=31 uid=64
182:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=32 uid=52
183:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=33 uid=27
184:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=34 uid=99
185:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=35 uid=13
186:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added schematic: name="/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/flowers/schematics/waterlily.mts" index=15 uid=17
187:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: ObjDefManager: added decoration: name="" index=36 uid=83
188:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [fire        ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/fire/init.lua"]
189:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [tnt         ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/tnt/init.lua"]
190:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [doors       ] ["/usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/doors/init.lua"]
191:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [handle_schematics] ["/home/user/.minetest/mods/handle_schematics/init.lua"]
192:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]:   [mg_villages ] ["/home/user/.minetest/mods/mg_villages/init.lua"]
193:2017-01-17 11:44:01: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/user/.minetest/mods/mg_villages/init.lua:
194:2017-01-17 11:44:01: ERROR[Main]: Mod security: Blocked attempted read from mg_all_villages.data
195:2017-01-17 11:44:01: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
196:2017-01-17 11:44:01: ERROR[Main]:   [C]: in function 'open'
197:2017-01-17 11:44:01: ERROR[Main]:   ...user/.minetest/mods/handle_schematics/save_restore.lua:24: in function 'restore_data'
198:2017-01-17 11:44:01: ERROR[Main]:   /home/user/.minetest/mods/mg_villages/init.lua:27: in main chunk
199:2017-01-17 11:44:01: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
200:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Audio: Deinitializing...
201:2017-01-17 11:44:01: INFO[Main]: Audio: Deinitialized

CuriousNoob

no Villages even with mod-security disabled

by CuriousNoob » Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:25

CuriousNoob wrote:.
So then, apart from disabling mod-security, is there anything else I can do as an end-user..?
Or is this something only you as the author can fix..?

Update :

For the sake of rigour, completeness, control-group experimentation etc, I disabled mod-security.

Yes, a newly-created world starts.

But no, singleplayer spawns inside solid rock not in a village.

And no, a quick no-clip free-fly through the landscape sees no proper Villages.

The whole ''/vmap'' then ''/visit #'' process confirms that normal proper villages are not forming anywhere.

There are a few odd single houses on circular plateaus above 50 high.

It's the same as I found with the [aftermath] sub-game.

Definitely no multi-house villages, and nothing at spawn, and nothing at ground-level.

FWIW, I redid the tests creating worlds with v5 and v6 map-gens and the result was the same, no villages.

Ignoring the mod-security/handle_schematics issue for the moment, do you think it's recent changes to the core game-engine to blame..?

Has anyone had Villages working properly on Minetest v 0.4.15 ..?

Hopefully this can be solved.

Thanks.

ShadMOrdre

In-game: shadmordre

by ShadMOrdre » Tue Jan 17, 2017 17:24

CuriousNoob,

mg_villages works with minetest v0.4.15. The reason you are not seeing villages, is because you have not installed any of the village mods. If you download the Villages modpack, it includes everything. You have to update the handle_schematics and the mg_villages mods within the modpack to the newest versions of those mods.

The modpack includes: cottages, handle_schematics, mg_villages, moresnow, mobf_trader, village_canadian, village_gambit, village_modern_houses, village_ruins, village_sandcity, and village_towntest.

If you only have the mg_villages and handle_schematics mods loaded, you will not see any villages.

Shad MOrdre
My other virtual world is an Opensimulator.

CuriousNoob

re : no villages forming

by CuriousNoob » Tue Jan 17, 2017 20:24

ShadMOrdre wrote:CuriousNoob,

mg_villages works with minetest v0.4.15. The reason you are not seeing villages, is because you have not installed any of the village mods. If you download the Villages modpack, it includes everything. You have to update the handle_schematics and the mg_villages mods within the modpack to the newest versions of those mods.

The modpack includes: cottages, handle_schematics, mg_villages, moresnow, mobf_trader, village_canadian, village_gambit, village_modern_houses, village_ruins, village_sandcity, and village_towntest.

If you only have the mg_villages and handle_schematics mods loaded, you will not see any villages.

Shad MOrdre

Hi Shad MOrdre :)

Thanks for the reply. I had (wrongly) assumed the minimal listed ''depends on'' would give at least something villagey, and that the others mentioned simply added variety.

I followed your suggestion, installed the full modpack.

I updated mg_villages and handle_schematics within the modpack.

Created a new world, enabled modpack, clicked play, and... . . . back to the same Mod Security crash detailed above (although the paths now longer incorporating the extra modpack folder).

Re-disabled mod-security, created yet another new world, enabled modpack.

And... . . . just like before : spawned in stone, with nothing at most /vmap /visit locations, but a single house on one floating plateau at 50+

Scrolled through the modpack's mods double-checking their ''depends on'' and only noticed the one oddity, that being the ''hdb'' and ''nbu'' dependencies of village_canadian.

So, rinse and repeat... yet another new world, this time disabling the village_canadian and... . . . still no joy, spawn in stone, no proper villages anywhere, although a lonely figure of a trader-NPC stood on a hill-slope at one of the /visit locations and another tragic trader-NPC stood on top of snowy pines at a different /visit location where a village was clearly not!

It's obviously a tricky one.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something different about the binaries supplied by the minetestdevs ppa repo, because I've encountered odd issues before, where it seemed I was the only one having issues but others were okay, and when I built-from-source locally and ran-in-place the issues disappeared. Maybe I'll have to try that again. < sigh >

Would be nice if any of the alpha-coders could shed some light, or even guide through hard-core diagnostics to properly identify where these anomalous issues live in the code.

Thanks anyway.

Attachments
screenshot_20170117_194404.png
screenshot_20170117_194404.png (941.18 KiB) Viewed 7325 times
screenshot_20170117_193546.png
screenshot_20170117_193546.png (708.09 KiB) Viewed 7325 times

ShadMOrdre

In-game: shadmordre

by ShadMOrdre » Tue Jan 17, 2017 23:29

Curious,

Are you sure you've installed the mod into the correct mod folder? Just asking, cause I've had to track down that folder after using Calinou's One-Line script installer for a dev version of Minetest on Lubuntu14.04, and then upgrading to a stable version from the ppa. Turns out, one was a local install, while the other was system wide, so the location of the mod folder was not where I was used to.

There are known issues with mod security. Disable it completely, before creating any world.

When creating a new world, with this mod, to ensure there are no other conflicts, load ONLY this mod.

Understand that many world seeds have seen me spawn at 0,0,0, and completely encased in stone. My solution was to teleport to the same coords, 100 meters higher, so 0,100,0.

Ensure that you are using the v0.4.15 stable release from the ppa, and not any of the dev versions, since there may be unknown bugs or other issues.

Lastly, find the debug.txt file, go to the end of the file, and provide the entire log entry from the most recent run of Minetest. If this file is too large, simply make a copy of debug.txt, delete debug.txt, and run minetest again.

Without the debug.txt info, I'm not sure anyone can help you get to the root of the issue. There are simply too many unknowns, even from the very detailed info you've provided.

I use this mod on Lubuntu 14.04 and Windows 7 versions of Minetest. I use sfans build for Windows, and used the trusty ppa for my version of Lubuntu. I've been using the Villages modpack since minetest version 0.4.11. When I upgraded my installations to version 0.4.15, the most recent minetest, I had to update the mg_villages and handle_schematics mod within the modpack. Other than that minor update, Villages continue to provide hours of enjoyment, especially when mixed with the Advanced Trains mod from oswell.
My other virtual world is an Opensimulator.

CuriousNoob

re : villages, minetest.conf, and Mod-Security

by CuriousNoob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 01:02

CuriousNoob wrote:I'm starting to wonder if there's something different about the binaries supplied by the minetestdevs ppa repo, because I've encountered odd issues before, where it seemed I was the only one having issues but others were okay, and when I built-from-source locally and ran-in-place the issues disappeared. Maybe I'll have to try that again

Update :

I tried the locally-built thing.

Initially, as per my bash-history's previous one-liners I'd been copying-in the ~/.minetest/minetest.conf to the run-in-place folder.

The result was the same, no villages.

Hmm.

Then realised that copying-in my existing minetest.conf was bringing baggage, potentially muddying the totally fresh clean setup.

So... totally deleted the local-build folder, re-ran without the the minetest.conf copy step.

Linux, bash one-liner :

echo;history -a;sleep 3 ;  DATENOW=$(date +%Y%m%d) ; MINETEST_USER="$USER" ; su -c " DATENOW=$(date +%Y%m%d) ; mkdir -pvm777 /usr/local/src/minetest/daily/${DATENOW} ; chown -v $MINETEST_USER:$MINETEST_USER /usr/local/src/minetest{,/daily{,/$DATENOW}} " ; cd /usr/local/src/minetest/daily/${DATENOW} ; wget -c https://github.com/minetest/minetest/archive/master.tar.gz ; rm -fr ./minetest-master ; tar xf master.tar.gz ; cd minetest-master/games/ ; wget -c https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/archive/master.tar.gz ; tar xf master.tar.gz ; mv -v minetest_game-master minetest_game ; cd .. ; sleep 3 ; cmake  .  -DRUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE -DBUILD_SERVER=1 -DBUILD_CLIENT=1 -DENABLE_LUAJIT=1 -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 ; make -j 2 ; sleep 3 ; cp -T -av /home/"$USER"/.minetest/mods/villages-for-minetest-modpack   ./mods/villages-for-minetest-modpack ; mkdir -pvm777 ./SCREENSHOTS ; sleep 3 ; cd /usr/local/src/minetest/daily/${DATENOW}/minetest-master ; ./bin/minetest   &

This finished without obvious error and launched the run-in-place local build, popped up the GUI --- smaller window resolution without the old minetest.conf settings, but at least successful and, crucially, a clean and fresh setup.

Unfortunately... When enabled (as it should be) it still crashes at launch, throwing the Mod-Security error, despite having added ''handle_schematics'' to the trusted list.

Re-disabled the mod-security, created a new world, and... . . . spawned into a busy village as expected. :D

Now I suppose I've just gotta work out exactly what --- within the huge minetest.conf, all these months-worth of accumulated experiments and tweaking settings back and forth, across three versions, 0.4.13 to 0.4.15-dev --- what is actually still relevant and what's now a liability.

Maybe time to re-grab the current minetest.conf.example from GitHub and start over.

I hope my saga of thrashing-about helps someone somewhere.

''Assume nothing. Suspect everything!'' LOL

But the remaining concern :
. . . Can anything be done about the Mod-Security issue..?

Thanks.

Attachments
screenshot_20170118_004358.png
screenshot_20170118_004358.png (790.74 KiB) Viewed 7325 times

CuriousNoob

re : solutions

by CuriousNoob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 01:31

ShadMOrdre wrote:Curious,

Are you sure you've installed the mod into the correct mod folder? Just asking, cause I've had to track down that folder after using Calinou's One-Line script installer for a dev version of Minetest on Lubuntu14.04, and then upgrading to a stable version from the ppa. Turns out, one was a local install, while the other was system wide, so the location of the mod folder was not where I was used to.

There are known issues with mod security. Disable it completely, before creating any world.

When creating a new world, with this mod, to ensure there are no other conflicts, load ONLY this mod.

Understand that many world seeds have seen me spawn at 0,0,0, and completely encased in stone. My solution was to teleport to the same coords, 100 meters higher, so 0,100,0.

Ensure that you are using the v0.4.15 stable release from the ppa, and not any of the dev versions, since there may be unknown bugs or other issues.

Lastly, find the debug.txt file, go to the end of the file, and provide the entire log entry from the most recent run of Minetest. If this file is too large, simply make a copy of debug.txt, delete debug.txt, and run minetest again.

Without the debug.txt info, I'm not sure anyone can help you get to the root of the issue. There are simply too many unknowns, even from the very detailed info you've provided.

I use this mod on Lubuntu 14.04 and Windows 7 versions of Minetest. I use sfans build for Windows, and used the trusty ppa for my version of Lubuntu. I've been using the Villages modpack since minetest version 0.4.11. When I upgraded my installations to version 0.4.15, the most recent minetest, I had to update the mg_villages and handle_schematics mod within the modpack. Other than that minor update, Villages continue to provide hours of enjoyment, especially when mixed with the Advanced Trains mod from oswell.

Hi again Shad MOrdre :)

Thanks for continuing to think about it. I generally do try to give copious info and post the debug.txt, but yes, oops, it was a few posts back, and not the most recent, sorry 'bout that.

And that's what I love about the FOSS communities when they're living up to the ideal :

It's the ''multiple-eyes, multiplied-IQ'' thing.

As you say, the mod-security is still a bit of a tricky one, as I prefer to run locked-down settings wherever possible. The white-listing ''secure.trusted_mods'' setting doesn't seem to be sufficient to get around it.

Maybe Sokomine could bounce ideas publicly, get the wisdom of crowds in on it..?

Anyway, at least after nuking the old minetest.conf, starting afresh, the villages are actually appearing. So, I suppose ''it's progress Jim, just not as we know it.''

I'll have to peek at the Trains you recommend too.

Cheers for now ... off to pore over huge conf files ... or bed! ;-P

captpete

by captpete » Tue Feb 07, 2017 21:41

mg_villages doesn't seem to display the villages on the Map (/vmap) and will not visit the villages (/visit 1). There were over 15 villages generated (viewed in console) on MT 0.4.15 running on Win64. Debug shows it can't see the data files although they are there in the root directory of the world "test". Maybe a Win/*NIX thing with directory separators? I do have the mg_villages priv. Only mg_villages, handle_schematics, and cottages configured.

Loaded texture: F:/Games/minetest-0.4.15-noluajit-win64/textures/hdx-64/menu_overlay.png
Loaded texture: F:/Games/minetest-0.4.15-noluajit-win64/textures/hdx-64/menu_header.png
Loaded texture: F:/Games/minetest-0.4.15-noluajit-win64/textures/hdx-64/minetest_menu_overlay.png
Loaded texture: F:/Games/minetest-0.4.15-noluajit-win64/textures/hdx-64/minetest_menu_header.png
Loaded texture: F:/Games/minetest-0.4.15-noluajit-win64/games/minetest_game/menu/icon.png
Loaded texture: F:/Games/minetest-0.4.15-noluajit-win64/games/minimal/menu/icon.png
2017-02-07 16:13:45: WARNING[Main]: NodeDefManager: Ignoring CONTENT_IGNORE redefinition
2017-02-07 16:13:45: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "cottages_feldweg_mode" accessed at ...mods\dreambuilder_modpack\cottages/nodes_feldweg.lua:18
[save_restore] Error: Savefile 'mg_all_villages.data' not found.
[save_restore] Error: Savefile 'mg_generated_map.data' not found.
2017-02-07 16:13:45: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "moresnow" accessed at ....15-noluajit-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/nodes.lua:22
[save_restore] Error: Savefile 'mg_villages_all_buildings_list.data' not found.
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]:         .__               __                   __
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]:   _____ |__| ____   _____/  |_  ____   _______/  |_
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]:  /     \|  |/    \_/ __ \   __\/ __ \ /  ___/\   __\
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]: |  Y Y  \  |   |  \  ___/|  | \  ___/ \___ \  |  |
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]: |__|_|  /__|___|  /\___  >__|  \___  >____  > |__|
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]:       \/        \/     \/          \/     \/
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]: World at [F:\Games\minetest-0.4.15-noluajit-win64\bin\..\worlds\test]
2017-02-07 16:13:46: ACTION[Main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on 0.0.0.0:56002.
2017-02-07 16:13:46: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-02-07 16:13:46: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-02-07 16:13:47: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-02-07 16:13:47: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-02-07 16:13:47: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game.
2017-02-07 16:13:47: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer

Me Me and Me

In-game: MeMeandMe2

by Me Me and Me » Thu Feb 09, 2017 02:31

There doesn't seem to be much of a market for mese (I have more than 30 crystals!)
Can you please add some buildings that cost mese?
It's an awesome mod!
My mod(s)
unternullPLUS

hajo

by hajo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 02:45

Me Me and Me wrote:There doesn't seem to be much of a market for mese
(I have more than 30 crystals!)

You have too much mese, and diamonds ?
Go, and build some basic_machines.

sil_el_mot

In-game: sil_el_mot

by sil_el_mot » Sat Feb 11, 2017 17:51

hey and hello
i am new to minetest and hoped smbd can help me, how i can activate npcs of mobs_redo , so they spawn in villages. i read , that others managed to spawn them at the villages-node, but what excactely do i have to do to get this working?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 05:24

Updates

* Fixed bug in relation to mod_security.
* The 3d torches from minetest_game are now used.
* Added a new house, a shed with a forge and a shed with a pasture for animals (no animals included so far)
* Fixed some issues with Ethereal biomes and ground types (i.e. bushes) not beeing properly detected.
* Fixed bug with glass looking strange if the node used to have param2 set.
* Added a new village type spawn. If that mod is installed and [b]mg_villages.FIRST_VILLAGE_TYPE = 'spawn';[b] is set, the first village created will consist of some sort of spawn house sourrounded by empty plots which can be bought by players. There's also a public farm included (without seeds). Creating only a single house in the first village was requested on github and may be needed for Adventuretest in the future as well. The village type looks like this:

hajo wrote:Using commands like "/visit 6", I found at least 2 villages where the teleport-spot was buried in stone, and I had to dig out.

That might still happen. But it ought to be rare. I hope to catch that bug eventually.

hajo wrote:I also found no texture for that on github

Thanks! The handle_schematics_support.png texture was indeed missing. I've added it in the meantime. The texture is used for a scaffolding node used by handle_schematics. The idea was (and still is) for the build_chest to spawn individual buildings with all nodes replaced by those scaffolding nodes first. When the player adds blocks to the chest, those get placed. That used to work to some degree in random_buildings but needs more work.

If you want to craft some of those nodes:

ErrorNull wrote:Sokomine my kids and I love your village mod. It is fantastic. I do have one small request, and probably is easy one... sfan's latest minetest build now uses the updated 3d torches as default. It would be cool to see mt_villages:torch nodes follow this update too!

These 3d torches seem to be loved a lot. And the new ones really don't look bad at all. I've changed the torches to the new 3d ones. It will only affect new worlds and requires updating mg_villages and handle_schematics. If you want the torches in existing worlds to mutate into the new ones, add mg_villages:torch to the register_lbm call in minetest_game/mods/default/torch.lua file:
nodenames = {"default:torch", "torches:floor", "torches:wall", "mg_villages:torch"]

ErrorNull wrote:I also have another idea. How about small villages that spawn in caves or special structures in the nether? It will enhance the underground and make players want to explore underground even more.

Villages in caves would be very tricky. Please keep in mind that such a setup exceeds the building capabilities of quite a lot of human players. Creating an algorithm for that would be more than difficult. I only got further with my villages once I decided to ignore height level and just flattend the area. It might be possible to just spawn normal villages and adjust the ceiling in a suitable way, but it would be a lot of work and most likely not look convincing. As to the nether - I don't like it very much as it's too dark to see anything. I have no idea which buildings might fit in there. Maybe the best approach would be to stick to very simple shapes and just spawn them randomly using the mapgen.

BirgitLachner wrote:Where can I get this mod? I can't find it!

Sadly, the mods needed for the canadian villages (built by Mauvebics wife) can no longer be obtained. Mauvebic doesn't have a copy anymore, told me that my copy is outdated, and he wasn't willing to give his ok to re-release that old version.

BirgitLachner wrote:Another thing ... I tried it with the Valley-Mapgen and there where terrible errors as the villages are placed "in" mountais that I got huge walls where the village was built in.

The valley mapgen is a great mapgen. It creates huge mountains and valleys. The trouble is: That's not a very convenient place for a village to sit in. Villages try to adjust their height to the sourrounding terrain. If the mountains get too heigh, that'll fail. In order to speed things up, mapchunks are only processed at the height levels at which a village is likely to occour (mostly the mapchunk containing height level 0).

BirgitLachner wrote:There is a problem with the torch as when I added some mods after generating the map the villages torches become unknown (with the special block)

The torches used to be mg_villages:torch torches up until quite recently. It's strange if they mutated. Can you turn on debug and check what they turned into?

BirgitLachner wrote:to me only the doors give problems, I have to break them and add them back to the hotel, I did a little editing and works best but it is not entirely stable. As soon as I work out quite public the modified code.

Doors changed some time ago into a new way of working (2 nodes high instead of one node high). As long as the version of minetest_game and mg_villages and handle_schematics share the same interpretation (by now: 2 nodes high doors), there ought to be no problem. Some doors may still be rotated wrongly, but that's another bug.

CuriousNoob wrote:Mod security: Blocked attempted read from mg_all_villages.data

Took a while, but the bug was hunted down. Apparently reading files from the world folder requires adding the appropriate path now.

CuriousNoob wrote:Definitely no multi-house villages, and nothing at spawn, and nothing at ground-level.

If you don't have my cottages mod installed, you need to change the config.lua file so that you'll get a village type that does work with the default mods alone:
mg_villages.FIRST_VILLAGE_TYPE = 'nore';

You can also use the village type 'taoki' - or, if you have the corresponding village_* mod installed, 'gambit', 'towntest', 'ruins' and 'sandcity' will most likely work as well as those houses don't require anything apart from what minetest_game comes with. I strongly suggest to install my cottages mod. It adds a lot of nodes that are used for medieval villages, lumberjack settlements, logcabins, tent villages etc. If you install the dryplants mod as well, you'll get additional grasshut villages.

CuriousNoob wrote:As you say, the mod-security is still a bit of a tricky one, as I prefer to run locked-down settings wherever possible. The white-listing ''secure.trusted_mods'' setting doesn't seem to be sufficient to get around it.

Same here. And in general mg_villages as such ought to have no problem with mod_security. That was a very annoying bug and took me some time to find and fix. What I can't fix is that handle_schematics can't provide a file browser for schematics in other worlds and mod folders as security is so tight that reading schems from elsewhere is considered a security violation :-(

Me Me and Me wrote:There doesn't seem to be much of a market for mese (I have more than 30 crystals!)
Can you please add some buildings that cost mese?

Er, too much mese? I'm sure people on multiplayer servers could help you get rid of it very fast *veg*. But you're right: Some plots are probably too cheap to buy. I've added more expensive ones in the new village_spawn village type. Costs about 1 mese crystal per square meter.

sil_el_mot wrote:i am new to minetest and hoped smbd can help me, how i can activate npcs of mobs_redo , so they spawn in villages. i read , that others managed to spawn them at the villages-node, but what excactely do i have to do to get this working?

They changed the places where the mobs spawn. Usually that's something like default:dirt_with_grass. Take a look at the mod that belongs to the npc and search for mobs:spawn. Inside there you'll see the nodes entry. Add "handle_schematics:plotmarker" to that list.

I'll see what can be done regarding mobs. It feels a lot better if they run around. Medieval villages are also places where I'd expect loose chicken (and maybe the occasional sheep or goat) to be - and not in the wilderness. Maybe something can be done so that the next release of my villages modpack will include more "life".

Also don't forget to take a look at BrandonReeses Adventuretest subgame. It makes use of my villages and has a lot to offer. His villagers are very active, fight against mobs, offer some quests, replant their fields, and are very entertaining :-)
Attachments
spawn_village2.jpg
spawn_village2.jpg (163.31 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
craft_scaffolding.jpg
craft_scaffolding.jpg (3.4 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
scaffolding.jpg
scaffolding.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 7403 times

mr_dean

In-game: mr_dean

by mr_dean » Thu Feb 16, 2017 01:05

Just a question, has anyone else noticed the chests in the villages have no metadata? I love the mod, but, I wish I could get treasure from the villages, as it seems that if there is chests than you should be able to get something from them.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that what you heard is not what I meant. - Author Unknown

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 04:49

The chests and shelves ought to have metadata and some content. It's not much - most villagers are rather poor - but there ought to be something (torches, occasional string, stone tools...). Adventuretest fills its chests with more treasure.

Normal chests other than the special ones in medieval and similar villages did not get any content so far. I've changed that so that default chests will get random content now as well. Please update your copy of mg_villages and handle_schematics to the most recent version.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Fri Feb 17, 2017 08:05

Sokomine wrote:Updates

* Fixed bug in relation to mod_security.
* The 3d torches from minetest_game are now used.
* Added a new house, a shed with a forge and a shed with a pasture for animals (no animals included so far)
* Fixed some issues with Ethereal biomes and ground types (i.e. bushes) not beeing properly detected.
* Fixed bug with glass looking strange if the node used to have param2 set.
* Added a new village type spawn.
ErrorNull wrote:I also have another idea. How about small villages that spawn in caves or special structures in the nether? It will enhance the underground and make players want to explore underground even more.

Villages in caves would be very tricky. Please keep in mind that such a setup exceeds the building capabilities of quite a lot of human players. Creating an algorithm for that would be more than difficult. I only got further with my villages once I decided to ignore height level and just flattend the area. It might be possible to just spawn normal villages and adjust the ceiling in a suitable way, but it would be a lot of work and most likely not look convincing. As to the nether - I don't like it very much as it's too dark to see anything. I have no idea which buildings might fit in there. Maybe the best approach would be to stick to very simple shapes and just spawn them randomly using the mapgen.

Great to see another update to your villages mod! And yes! 3D torches. You're awesome. I see what you're saying about villages underground and how it's tricky with the varying heights. I would be completely satisfied with very primitive blocky huts down in the nether, hell, caverealms mods, etc. My desire is to see some friendly basic mob villages down there like goblins via mobs-redo and how it links with your villages mod. Tiny mob villages would break up the monotony of the large open expanses and provide more interactivity while adventuring underground. Keep up the great work!

hajo

by hajo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 09:48

ErrorNull wrote:
Sokomine wrote:Updates ..
* Added a new house, a shed with a forge and a shed with a pasture for animals
* Added a new village type spawn.
ErrorNull wrote:I also have another idea. How about small villages that spawn in caves or special structures in the nether?
It will enhance the underground and make players want to explore underground even more.

Villages in caves would be very tricky. .. Creating an algorithm for that would be more than difficult.

I see what you're saying about villages underground and how it's tricky with the varying heights.
I would be completely satisfied with very primitive blocky huts down in the nether, hell, caverealms mods, etc.

Maybe have a look at pueblos.
I think those could be done fairly easy, given a cave with some height,
and a cavewall that can be 'caved out' for another 6-8 blocks.

zorman2000

GitHub: hkzorman
In-game: zorman2000

by zorman2000 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 15:48

Hello Sokomine,

First of all, a huge thanks for this awesome mod and for keeping it up-to-date! I really love this mod and use it in almost every world I create!

Now, the only thing I would really like to have in villages that would make it perfect is to have villagers. I'm working currently on a mod to do exactly that (https://github.com/hkzorman/advanced_npc) and while working on it I came up with a question about mg_villages.

I know you fill up the chests and shelves with random items. Is there a way for external mods to add items so that they come up as well in the chests and shelves randomly? Is there some API or function I can call to add an item from my mod so that it also spawns on chests and shelves?

In the same topic, I know that a few villages (not medieval though) have bookshelves on the buildings. Can bookshelves be filled as well?

Thanks!

mase

In-game: mase

by mase » Fri Feb 24, 2017 08:13

Can't I configure the mod via minetest.conf, instead of config.lua only? I think, it would
be better to have this central config file. This ensures persistance after mod updates.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Feb 25, 2017 04:15

zorman2000 wrote:Now, the only thing I would really like to have in villages that would make it perfect is to have villagers. I'm working currently on a mod to do exactly that (https://github.com/hkzorman/advanced_npc) and while working on it I came up with a question about mg_villages.

I'm waiting for such a mod :-) The villages are a lot nicer if mobs are roaming around there. Please create a thread for your mod (even if it's not finished yet) so that it can be properly discussed - and located by other players. Sadly, I didn't get your mod to run. Including it in secure.trusted_mods didn't seem to work for me (and it didn't work for my handle_schematics mod anymore either). I'd love to test your mod. Do you have any ideas what might cause the security problems?

zorman2000 wrote:I know you fill up the chests and shelves with random items. Is there a way for external mods to add items so that they come up as well in the chests and shelves randomly? Is there some API or function I can call to add an item from my mod so that it also spawns on chests and shelves?

In theory, adding further entries to mg_villages.random_chest_content like in fill_chest.lua ought to be enough as long as you just want to add something.

zorman2000 wrote:n the same topic, I know that a few villages (not medieval though) have bookshelves on the buildings. Can bookshelves be filled as well?

The medieval villages got bookshelves some time ago as well :-) There are two of them hidden inside the church. That seemed to be the only fitting place in a medieval village. The subgame adventuretest relies on bookshelves as tools for managing experience points. I'll see what can be done in order to fill bookshelves as well.

mase wrote:Can't I configure the mod via minetest.conf, instead of config.lua only? I think, it would
be better to have this central config file. This ensures persistance after mod updates.

You may be right about that. I'll try to figure out how complicated such a change would be.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Feb 25, 2017 19:42

Bookshelves are now filled with (empty) books.

The function mg_villages.fill_one_chest_random is used for filling chests, shelves, bookshelves etc. with content and can be exchanged/overwritten by other mods if there is any need.

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Mods