[Mod]mymonths[mymonths]

Heraclitus

Re: [Mod]mymonths[mymonths]

by Heraclitus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:22

First off, this is a truly great idea and fantastic mod. I love what's implemented so far and look forward to further developments.

I noticed that up this thread a bit someone mentioned the possibility of doing some sort of check so that you wouldn't hear rain (and presumably other weather) sounds far deep in a mine (or otherwise far underground). I don't know how easy/difficult this may be to implement, but so far it's the one thing I noticed that seemed really "off." Having weather sounds is fantastic (and really helps establish ambience in the world), but it's a little odd if you spend a couple Minetest "days" far underground digging and in the middle a storm comes up and you get rain sounds for several minutes.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:39

Unfortunately I don't honestly know much about the weather code, and Don hasn't been around for a while. I can take a look at that code and see if I can figure out the sound. I'd think it should be as easy as checking the players depth, and if they are below say -20 nodes or so not play the sound. Of course you could have a mine on a mountain that would be above sea level but still far enough underground that you shouldn't hear the rain.

I'll try and look into this sometime soon.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

Heraclitus

by Heraclitus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 22:06

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that a simple solution (like just turning off the sound if player is below some Y value) isn't going to account for all cases. But it would at least cover scenarios where you're hundreds of blocks underground and it makes no sense at all to hear rain.

By the way, something really bizarre just happened to me. The mod was working fine yesterday (I had a version installed that was from early September I believe). But before I posted, I thought I'd download the latest version to be sure the sound was still an issue.

Anyhow, after installing the new version, rain is suddenly appearing even underground. It mostly seems to "follow the player," i.e., it won't start raining underground with the storm, but if I'm above ground and then descend to an underground room, the rain appears "indoors" (below many blocks of dirt and stone). Even weirder, the rain (at least visual effect of it) won't stop when the storm clears until I ascend back up to the surface, at which point all the rain dissipates.

I'm reasonably certain I didn't see this behavior before. Did something change between September and now that could cause this?

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Tue Jan 10, 2017 00:57

We did change the code for the particles, will have to check into that.
Check out my website.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Sun Feb 19, 2017 01:08

I just pushed some changes that should make the abms for snow a little smoother. Before it was checking for nodes, even in months where snow would never fall. With the new change it checks the month and then only if it is winter proceeds to do the node check. Profiling showed decent improvements with these changes
Check out my website.

Previous

Return to WIP Mods