OldCoder Solartest

OldCoder
Administrator

OldCoder Solartest

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 17, 2014 03:46

This thread is for the OldCoder Solartest (formerly known as Moontest) server.

For now, the world is located at:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
World:  OldCoder Solartest
Server: moontest.org
Port:   30021

I like to collect unusual worlds. This one certainly qualifies. We hope that you enjoy it. Note: If you don't start out inside the spaceship, please let me know.

Regards, Robert (the Old Coder)

Last edited by OldCoder on Thu Mar 31, 2016 02:50, edited 4 times in total.

Nemo

In-game: Nemo

Re: OldCoder Moontest server

by Nemo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 07:28

This looks very interesting! May I have interact privileges? IGN: Nemo

Thanks.

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21

Finally!!! A space-themed server! :D
I will give a look next weekend!

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 17, 2014 17:10

Esteban, Welcome. Nemo, interact granted. However, note that the world may be reset. This is an early-stage project.

If possible, we'd prefer that interact requests be made in-game or in IRC. This will help to keep threads from becoming cluttered.

For in-game, there will be admins or moderators online eventually to grant interact.

I can be reached in Freenode or Inchra IRC at different times throughout the week. Note: I'm away today to visit Twisted Time, who a few of you know of.

I don't spend much time in-game. However, I've added the IRC mods by Kaeza and ShadowNinja. So, when I'm in IRC, I'm able to see in-game messages for Moontest from there.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:57

...5/25 users; Access denied: Too Many Users
LoL...

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sat Oct 18, 2014 00:16

Interact for me :3, and interact for this user: (tester123 and for me Dragonop)

SARGRAS

by SARGRAS » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:41

I think it would be nice, if it is possible to craft dirt and do indoor terraforming.

greets

qwrwed

In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:36

The pistons don't work, can someone look into this?
Screenshot
Also, how do you get the translucent blue air shield at seen at spawn?

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 19:38

1. About crafting dirt, indoor farming (which is what I assume was meant), etc., I plan to set up a GitHub repo so that everybody can contribute changes or find answers. The repo might be named "Solartest" for reasons explained below.

2. DFeniks has provided some missing Moontest recipes and done some work on Moon Trees, but assistance with other issues will be needed.

3. If people will help me with paramat's code, the "_game" might evolve into a multi-planet framework; i.e., "Solartest".

To explain, it looks as though we could have different planets at different levels in a world, each with different terrain and a different sky. In theory, players could use spaceships or travelnets to travel between planets.

4. As an alternative, we could try to put different planets on the same level. Under this approach, we'd divide a map up into a 3x3 or 4x4 grid with each sector corresponding to a different planet.

I don't know enough about mapgen yet to be sure of which approach will work best.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Mon Nov 17, 2014 02:16

May I have interact please, name: maikerumine. Thanks!

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 21:04

Oops, I crashed the server...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun May 03, 2015 01:59

Announcement (for OldCoder; he said it on his server and asked me to forward it):

OldCoder wrote:OldCoders worlds may be down for 2 days.

The OldCoder Minetest worlds may be down for 1 to 2 days starting tonight or soon for a move. This will happen again in a week or two.
The physical server is moving. So the worlds are going to a diffrent machine temporarily and then back to the original one.

We hope to see you there once things settle down!
A list of my mods can be found here.

AndDT

GitHub: AndDT
IRC: AndDT
In-game: AndDT

by AndDT » Tue May 05, 2015 17:59

Give me interact please.

mccomase

IRC: mccomase
In-game: mccomase

by mccomase » Sun May 31, 2015 07:11

May I have interact privs IGN mccomase

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun May 31, 2015 09:51

See me in IRC or in-game, please.

Diamond knight

In-game: Diamondknight or diamond_knight

by Diamond knight » Sun May 31, 2015 19:33

interact please ign diamondknight

and the pistions dont work because they only work in earth air
I can never get enough MESE!!!!!!!!!

my subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11901

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun May 31, 2015 21:44

Diamond knight wrote:"interact please ign diamondknight. and the pistons don't work because they only work in earth air"

Diamond Knight, Hi. I don't usually grant interact through the forums. I might change my mind if you or others aren't able to reach me in-game.

For now, call me from in-game afternoons or evenings in U.S. Time Zones. I'll be away one or two days this week, but I'm here today and probably tomorrow.

One key point is that people should be willing to wait after they call me. Sound doesn't always work, so it can take me a while to notice a ping. Plus, I need to work or run errands like anybody else.

BTW, to call me, type OldCoder. Spelling matters; Old coader, Old Codger, and Old Fooler will not work :P

Regarding the pistons, I thought that we'd fixed that months ago. If we talk later on, remind me of the issue.

Diamond knight

In-game: Diamondknight or diamond_knight

by Diamond knight » Mon Jun 01, 2015 22:00

every time im on everyonme either ignores me or there no staff on
I can never get enough MESE!!!!!!!!!

my subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11901

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Mon Jun 01, 2015 23:01

Diamond knight, Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you've had difficulty finding admins to speak with in Moontest.

I don't presently have regular admins for most of my worlds. Most players are kids. Some kids decide that they like particular worlds and settle in as admins, but most do not. Sparky, by the way, thank you for your assistance.

As far as adults go, the community is too small to provide many adults who are willing and able to look after worlds other than their own.

Some of the adults that I've known here weren't even real. Long-time community members, those who have been here for years, may understand what I mean. I don't mind that part, but it's difficult to get to know people and then to watch the identities evaporate.

The community size issue is due partly to a principle that I refer to as "Chicken or the Egg". It's a common problem for startups. In short, if Minetest were larger and included more reliable people, it would be growing larger still and so would the number of reliable people.

This is the hurdle that needs to be overcome. The transition point, where momentum starts to build, is known as critical mass.

Part of the issue lies in problems at the heart of Minetest. This is a FOSS project that has not reached critical mass. Until it does so, it will be highly dependent on common goals and perceptions. Most importantly, on a sense of community. And on an understanding that everybody involved, from designers to administrators and users, is significant and deserves respect.

Most FOSS projects are dependent on these things, but they're critical in the early stages. Without them, a project's trajectory will fall short of critical mass and it will fade away.

I've spent three years with the project, and I'd like to see it succeed, but I'm not sure that it's going to make it. There are decent, hard-working people involved, but there is, and always has been, a lack of understanding that community matters.

Due to this lack of understanding, we've lost people that we didn't necessarily need to lose. If I was the "rage quit" type, I'd have left forever myself a week or two ago. Calinou told me that my own contributions weren't needed or even wanted. It wasn't a positive moment.

I'm thinking about building my own sub-community, something that I call AdultTest or Minebest. I've even got the Freenode ##minebest channel and the minebest.org domain set up. But there isn't much of an upstream community to draw upon.

For now, if you need interact or assistance in my worlds, for most of them, you'll need to call me from in-game and wait. I'm not here every day. I do have IRL things to deal with such as finding work and getting to keep my car and a place to sleep.

I've been criticized for talking about the fact that I'm preoccupied by such matters. As though deciding to continue with this project despite difficulties is a bad thing. I'd rather hear a thank-you, but I'll be here while I can be.

As a side note, which I'll announce elsewhere as well, my worlds may be down for two days soon because my octocore, which has been traveling across the U.S. on a truck, has reached its destination. I need to set up the octocore again and move the worlds back from an alternate server to their original home.

I don't get funding or donations, by the way, to maintain the hardware or run the worlds.

programmingchicken

GitHub: ProgrammingChicken
IRC: gamer chicken
In-game: gamerdude

by programmingchicken » Mon Jul 06, 2015 04:56

0-0 did i just hear...
the saddest thing i have ever heard?
I'm bold. I'm sarcastic. I'm PChicken.

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Tue Jul 07, 2015 00:10

@OldCoder Sad to hear that. If you need some people for any of your projects, you already know that you can contact me and I will try to help.

programmingchicken

GitHub: ProgrammingChicken
IRC: gamer chicken
In-game: gamerdude

by programmingchicken » Tue Jul 07, 2015 04:29

:P moontest is better than minetest
moontest is lunatic.
I'm bold. I'm sarcastic. I'm PChicken.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Wed Sep 02, 2015 05:46

This is a Lunar Survey Site by Phox.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
World:    OldCoder Moontest
Name:     Lunar Survey Site
Builder:  Phox
Coords:   7.2,22.5,110.9

OldCoder
Administrator

Re: OldCoder Moontest

by OldCoder » Wed Sep 02, 2015 06:05

Gardens on the Moon need greenhouses and air generators.

Name:     DFeniks Lunar Garden
Builder:  DFeniks
Coords:   276.6, 8.5, -180.6

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sat Sep 12, 2015 02:06

By popular demand, players can have individual or gender specific spacesuits in OldCoder Moontest now. It will take a while to collect or edit different spacesuits, but the feature is supported.

phsycoslasher2000

In-game: lolman

by phsycoslasher2000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 02:29

can i have interact my ign is lolman

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sat Oct 03, 2015 03:44

lolman, I don't usually do interact through forums.

You can often talk to me in-game. Afternoons and evenings in U.S. time zones are best. To call me, type OldCoder and press Enter. I may not see it immediately. I may be sleeping or on errands.

If you know IRC you can also /query me at Freenode. And you can email me at: oldcoder@yahoo.com

phsycoslasher2000

In-game: lolman

by phsycoslasher2000 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 01:55

You can make an interact password on lord of the test or you can just give me interact.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Oct 04, 2015 03:05

phsycoslasher2000 wrote:"you can make an interact password on lord of the test or you can just give me interact"

lolman: No disrespect is intended, but you're not getting interact. Try VE-Basic on the MT server list. It's a busy and interesting world.

Thoughts for others:

I've told lolman twice that I don't like to do interact through the forums; he's also posted in the LOTT thread. I've asked him not to clutter up the forums with interact requests. But he's posted about the subject three times now.

It doesn't bode well, does it? But I'd like to offer some related thoughts. For the more important worlds, interact, for me, is about assessing visitors.

* Are builders able to follow directions, to respond, and to work with others?
* Are they patient and willing to learn?
* Do they like the idea of helping people?
* If they're asked a question about griefing, do they answer sensibly or are they sarcastic?
* Can they handle keyboards well enough to type "/spawn" ?
* Do they speak English or does one of their group? Or does Google Translator work well enough?

No "interact" software can decide these things. So, yes, these guidelines mean fewer builders. But if the goal is more worlds like Redcrab, maybe this is the way to go.

This exchange has helped to solidify a decision.

More of my worlds will be more restricted. I'll continue to run open worlds, of course, and will recruit promising builders there for admin roles elsewhere. But I think that both types of servers serve a purpose: open worlds and AdultTest.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Oct 25, 2015 00:23

1. Some griefing has been repaired.

2. Due to the fact I don't presently have enough admins for Moontest, the world is restricted for now. Everybody gets interact so that they can use travelnets and doors, but building requires a new "build" priv.

The "build" priv will be granted to builders who I know or who establish themselves in other OldCoder worlds.

3. I'm fixing up the travelnets in Moontest and adding more.

There's a travelnet bug that may be related to MT 0.4.13. As in OldCoder Redcrab, travelnets won't work correctly if there is anything behind them. I'm rotating or moving existing travelnets where necessary to address this.

4. Moontest now uses the OldCoder version of travelnet. One important change is the addition of a travelnet reset tool. For more information, visit the following link:

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4877&start=75#p194067

5. If you have interesting places in Moontest, let me know so that I can add them to travel networks or catalogues. You can contact me in IRC, by forum PM, or by email to: oldcoder@yahoo.com

Name:     tjbeylik Sky Castle
Builders: tjbeylik
Server:   minetest.org
Port:     30021
Coords:   227.7, 125.5, -38.5

Next

Return to Minetest Servers