OldCoder Landrush server

OldCoder
Administrator

OldCoder Landrush server

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 17, 2014 04:01

This thread is for the OldCoder Landrush server.

Announcing: Landrush. A large and venerable world. This is the official Landrush server. Brandon transferred the world to me a few months ago.

Pitriss is the primary maintainer. Things are still being fine-tuned. For example, we've dropped Nether and other mods are being tweaked. But the world seems to be in good shape.

For now, the location is:

Server: minetest.org
Port: 30011

The passwords and inventories for existing players should be intact. If you have buildings on Landrush, they're waiting for you.

Regards, Robert (the Old Coder)

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: OldCoder Landrush server

by Calinou » Fri Oct 17, 2014 18:43

Be sure to update the player animation code (to add local animations), currently, local animations are not used, which means there is visible lag in third person view. This may apply to your other servers.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 04:20

Calinou, thank you.

DeadMike

In-game: MrSmith

by DeadMike » Sat Oct 18, 2014 23:11

Fun server..pitriss is doing great job.

Zylex

by Zylex » Wed Oct 29, 2014 21:12

When I try to log on as Zylex, I get denied access because my "player name does not seem to be pronounceable".

I have already established my name on this server (before the OldCoder transfer). I'm guessing there's a strict username filter active; one which could also block other players who have had no trouble before this was in effect.

What is causing this, and will it ever change?

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Nov 02, 2014 22:00

Zylex, I apologize for the delay in replying. It's faster to reach me in IRC. Regarding the nick issue, we've installed ShadowNinja's name restrictions mod. I'll add your nick as an exception before the next restart.

PlasmaHam

In-game: PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 01:35

What will happen to all the abandoned claimed land. 90% of the valuable land is claimed by people who haven't been active since the shutdown. Will there be a vast cleaning of the server or will you only unclaim land if someone ask specifically. I will like an answer as I am considering rejoining the server and I would like a nice location.

I am not a spammer and a good, honest builder, many older guys know me as William1.
Live long and Prosper

Pitriss

GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Fri Nov 07, 2014 09:52

There is not planned any massive unclaiming of claimed land.. There is still many free land so there is no reason to do so. We can unclaim some land for you if it is used by some random visitor and it is blocking your expansion, though.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 15:44

Pitriss wrote:There is not planned any massive unclaiming of claimed land.. There is still many free land so there is no reason to do so. We can unclaim some land for you if it is used by some random visitor and it is blocking your expansion, though.

I am aware of that but most cities are abandoned save for the few veterans that came back. All the "free" land is far from any cities. Most of whom that are coming back are settling far apart in the rural parts because all the cities are full of empty shops. Beside from being annoying, this also limits effective trading and unity. If abandoned land won't be unclaimed, then perhaps a new city should be established...
Live long and Prosper

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 17:46

be a pioneer
be brave
start a new city

Pitriss

by Pitriss » Fri Nov 07, 2014 19:18

PlasmaHam wrote:because all the cities are full of empty shops. Beside from being annoying, this also limits effective trading and unity.

Imagine that mess when we start massive unclaiming.. That can't happen.. Landrush is valuable just because its high quality buildings. Unclaiming can destroy that very quickly.
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Sat Nov 08, 2014 22:23

Alright, I get your point, Pitriss. But, why can't we build a new city? I may be wrong but a city hasn't been founded in a year. Plus, it could be the first major cooperative building project for this new group.
Live long and Prosper

Pitriss

by Pitriss » Sun Nov 09, 2014 17:57

Who said you can't start new city? Just start it.. There is nothing against that.

BTW: Landrush is now dedicated to more advanced players and advanced players have mostly their own projects. So IMO new city is not needed. Anyway. start new one if you wish.

PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 02:19

I have noticed on the server that technic crafting seems really expensive. Pretty much any power generator recipe requires diamond. Crafting technic parts themselves is already expensive, having to throw in a valuable diamond which has no purpose is ridiculous Most other servers have far cheaper technic parts, like diamondless generators.

Same for solar panels, 3 bars of gold are needed for a LV solar panels, ridiculous.

Also be a good idea to add a public workshop near the origin. Ethic Rush had one that was very helpful. Perhaps converting one of the abandoned stores into one.
Live long and Prosper

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Nov 11, 2014 03:10

pitriss wrote:BTW: Landrush is now dedicated to more advanced players and advanced players have mostly their own projects. So IMO new city is not needed. Anyway. start new one if you wish.

That's no reason not to start a new city! Sometimes a new spawn can help a lot. The airport system is all fine as far as it goes, but a spawn is still something diffrent. Just talk to OldCoder and let him add a new spawn point somewhere :-) Players - even those who tend to build large towns of their own - usually love to meet other players from time to time. A common (new) spawn and a common new project (=build the area around it) would be very nice and beneficial to the server.

PlasmaHam wrote:Also be a good idea to add a public workshop near the origin. Ethic Rush had one that was very helpful. Perhaps converting one of the abandoned stores into one.

Everhill has built more than one such areas. There's a huge one at spawn 1, and a slightly more hidden one at spawn 8 (called "energy plaza"). If you want to, you can also use the machines on the platform of my tower at spawn 1.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Pitriss

by Pitriss » Wed Nov 12, 2014 00:11

Sokomine wrote:Just talk to OldCoder and let him add a new spawn point somewhere :-) Players - even those who tend to build large towns of their own - usually love to meet other players from time to time. A common (new) spawn and a common new project (=build the area around it) would be very nice and beneficial to the server.

I can add spawn point.. But I'm also still keeping old (strict) rules to get new spawn (until (if this someday happen) we brainstorm new, more clear rules for that).. So for now there must be already something built and it should give benefit to server/players..

Curently it IMHO will help nothing as there are maximum 4-5 players without 2 and more ongoing projects. There is no benefit in having next half done spawn point where nobody wants to build. Why not to continue at spawn 8 or 1 for example? there is still many places around.

Please keep in mind, there will be no wave of noobs and kids wanting to build shack just next to somebody else. AFAIK: I have 3 projects opened, sicmind have 2 and half projects ongoing, MrSmith the same as me and many others also doesn't complain about lack of work.. Anyway, as I stated in previous posts: Build new city, why not. We can consider adding spawn later. (But I can't promise anything)

--edit--
About brainstorming new spawn point rules.. There are many other things to do, there are another brainstorming ongoing so it will take some time. With changed purpose of server there is also needed to change rules about many things to match new purpose.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Nov 12, 2014 23:46

Pitriss wrote:About brainstorming new spawn point rules.. There are many other things to do, there are another brainstorming ongoing so it will take some time. With changed purpose of server there is also needed to change rules about many things to match new purpose.

It's good that there's progress on the server and things to do. I hope it will get many more great buildings!

Still, some areas which are more open to new players and offer them the ability to start small and get accustomed with building and the server as such may help. I've met some players who did achieve a lot of progress over time. Many will stick to the simple shacks and not understand that there's more to it; only a few will ever want to learn. It may not work in the long run to be only open to builders who already know their job. And even if people are just constructing acceptable houses (i.e. the mysteries of roofs, windows and inner walls have at least been heared of), and see other buildings on the server and get inspired by them, learn about what can be done, that'd be a gain for all of us.

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Nov 13, 2014 03:46

One of the spectacular sights on Landrush Image
Last edited by twoelk on Sun Mar 22, 2015 03:49, edited 1 time in total.

sicmind

by sicmind » Mon Nov 17, 2014 17:26

PlasmaHam wrote:I have noticed on the server that technic crafting seems really expensive. Pretty much any power generator recipe requires diamond. Crafting technic parts themselves is already expensive, having to throw in a valuable diamond which has no purpose is ridiculous Most other servers have far cheaper technic parts, like diamondless generators.

Same for solar panels, 3 bars of gold are needed for a LV solar panels, ridiculous.

Also be a good idea to add a public workshop near the origin. Ethic Rush had one that was very helpful. Perhaps converting one of the abandoned stores into one.

O no you have to put some work into getting a worthwhile item god forbid...Ham got real simple solution to your problem find a server where things are not as "expensive". . I know I am coming off as really blunt here but like Pitriss said I believe it was we are nto going to change things just because one person has a problem with the "cost" of the item.

PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Mon Nov 24, 2014 17:14

We are currently in need of 2 moderators, anyone who is willing to help as a moderator please go to the LandRush Forum @ http://landrush.bremaweb.com/forum/index.php, and submit an application on the New Moderators topic. You will see all the requirements and conditions there.
Live long and Prosper

PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Tue Mar 24, 2015 17:50

R.I.P. Landrush
Live long and Prosper

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 18:49

PlasmaHam wrote:R.I.P. Landrush

Why? The server seems to be up. Admittedly the textures where changed, which is quite bad for a server used for building.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun May 03, 2015 01:57

Announcement (for OldCoder; he said it on his server and asked me to forward it):

OldCoder wrote:OldCoders worlds may be down for 2 days.

The OldCoder Minetest worlds may be down for 1 to 2 days starting tonight or soon for a move. This will happen again in a week or two.
The physical server is moving. So the worlds are going to a diffrent machine temporarily and then back to the original one.

We hope to see you there once things settle down!

Return to Minetest Servers