OldCoder Redcrab

OldCoder
Administrator

OldCoder Redcrab

by OldCoder » Tue Sep 29, 2015 23:01

This thread is for OldCoder Redcrab, my clone of an old Minetest world named Redcrab.

The original Redcrab was built with a simpler set of mods than is available to Minetest builders today. However, it demonstrated creativity and included a number of interesting structures.

The world was largely abandoned by its host, also named Redcrab, after a few years. It's often offline for extended periods. But Redcrab doesn't seem willing to pass the world on to others. So, it's likely to disappear forever.

To prevent the loss of the work invested in the world and the creations that it holds, I've created OldCoder Redcrab, a reasonably complete copy.

The world isn't perfect. We'll need to make fixes. However, Fixerol, a long-time Redcrab builder, says:

Fixerol wrote:"I will fire up both RedCrab and your RedCrab and compare if something is missing, but it looks very nice already and just like 0.4.4."

Note: Fixerol is known as Fixerol in the Minetest forums and as Fixer in-game.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Server: minetest.org
Port:   30006

Key points:

* You can use current Minetest clients to connect without special measures
* Interact is turned off for now, but fly, noclip, and settime are turned on
* You'll see unknown blocks, but most will convert automatically as you approach them
* This copy has most of the original Redcrab map as of October 2014
* mapgen is turned off for now, so the world won't grow larger
* Don't ask for interact here. See me in IRC or email me at: oldcoder@yahoo.com

Problems:

* There are missing pieces where captures are incomplete. You can help by making new captures.
* The missing pieces are creating lava and water flows. Those will need to be cleaned up.
* Travelnet stations work, but there are two problems (see below)
* Some moreblocks nodes are incorrect
* Trees probably don't grow yet. So, don't cut them down.
* If you'd like the worldedit priv to help with repairs, see me in IRC

You can only use some travelnets by clicking from outside or on the inside ceilings or floors. I'll need help from Sokomine or others to fix the problem.

Additionally, some travelnet stations are missing. After the travelnet display problem is fixed, people are invited to add the missing stations.

Credits:

The map is based on captures by Sokomine, Rob65535, and ShadowNinja. I spliced the captures together using Perl code. Amaz assisted with a mapgen-related problem.

The modset is based on work by Manzano, Sokomine, and myself. As expected, moreblocks didn't come out quite right and more work will be needed.

Fixer has made repairs. Redcrab, of course, deserves credit for creating the original world. And Erthome helped with related issues in 2014.

Miscellaneous:

* Both standard doors and Home Decor doors are presently opened using right-click and not left-click. There is a post with more information on this subject further down.

* There's a dumpster for unneeded items in the quarry at: 21.1, -19.5, -25.5

* The world includes both TenPlus1's Screwdriver Redo and Argos's Rotate tool. If you're an admin, to acquire the tools, give yourself screwdriver:screwdriver or rotate:wrench_gold. Note: These tools work on some nodes, but not on others.

* The copy of worldedit used doesn't presently support short-commands. So, for example, you'll need to use //pos1 and //pos2 instead of //1 and //2.

* The areas mod is provided. Protection information from the old world has been imported.

* Fixer says: Be careful with signs. If you're editing a sign with some text and you exit by pressing ESC, you'll lose all text in it (even if that text was there long before you). Press Proceed instead - you will not lose text that way.

Future:

It remains to be determined whether this will be a museum world or old players will build here. Note: This world will not be opened for builds to the general public.

If people would like to have mapgen turned on, technical issues related to changes between 0.4.4 and git-current may need to be worked out.

Locations from Sokomine Sightseeing:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Spawn:              -12.1, 6.5, -29.1
Fort Modesto:       335, 40.5,-1406
Tulune:             1011, 3.5, 2135
Underground City:   354, -1563.5, 478

Other locations:

Coffeecrafter City: -4588.4, 23.5, 15160.5

World:   OldCoder Redcrab
Server:  minetest.org
Port:    30006
Name:    Pyramid Tree Farm
Builder: Unknown
Coords:  182.2, 44.5, 93.8

This is a large indoors tree farm, about 7 levels total, about 5 levels filled with trees. It's located inside a giant pyramid covered with water.

Name:    Sky Dining Area
Coords:  249.2, 39.5, -88.8

Name:    Dumpster for unneeded items
Builder: Fixerol
Coords:  21.1, -19.5, -25.5

Last edited by OldCoder on Fri Oct 02, 2015 22:49, edited 7 times in total.

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Re: OldCoder Redcrab

by Fixerol » Wed Sep 30, 2015 14:05

Oh wow, my memory is coming back! :D I've actually found my fenced mountain with unfinished tower and a bridge above the lake in it... That deja vu moment... so amazed it is still here... My sign with a new text "WE CLAIM THIS NOW TO BE TEAM AWESOME TERRITORY". I found it just near that water-lava place we cleaned up recently. So cool... It was build 3 year ago at the time of Demonoid shutdown in 2012.

It is at 44 27 -517

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 14:58

I loved the days of Redcrab. It's what got me addicted to Minetest. It's a shame that the server didn't keep up with new Minetest versions, and became a pain to connect to. There's something about the limitations it had that made it quite fun.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Wed Sep 30, 2015 17:28

1. The world will be limited for now to existing players and senior builders. When the old server disappears, people will still be able to visit old haunts.

2. Work will be needed to tidy up the remaining unknown blocks, "moreblocks" problems, and water and lava flow glitches.

3. I saw a message from stormchaser3000 in-game regarding chests not working. Rubenwardy has prepared a mod that may help with that.

4. I've learned more about a travelnet problem. Essentially, if a travelnet is positioned right in front of an object, going into the booth and tapping on the rear wall may send the tap to the object as opposed to the wall. So, the destination screen may not pop up.

5. I've learned more as well about lighting problems that worldedit can cause. I'd like to talk to somebody about alternatives to //fixlight because the latter command doesn't help in most situations.

Last edited by OldCoder on Thu Oct 01, 2015 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Wed Sep 30, 2015 17:53

5. I've learned more as well about lighting problems that worldedit can cause. I'd like to talk to somebody about alternatives to //fixlight because the latter command doesn't help in most situations.

I know that Extreme Minetest Survival uses /mapfix for that, not sure if is the same.

Also, I've detected moving objects of unknown block with hp=5, what is it?

twoelk

by twoelk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 18:31

mapfix - pretty usefull tool

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Wed Sep 30, 2015 19:30

1. I'll try mapfix when time permits.

2. The moving objects are probably left-over entities such as rats (which the original Redcrab world either had at one point or still has) or entities resulting from glitches, such as the sign entities that you observed previously. Punch the objects and they may show up in the logs; then I can fix them. Important: Don't do a /clearobjects. This may break things.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Wed Sep 30, 2015 22:00

1. The mapfix mod does seem to help in some cases.

2. The moving objects are confirmed to have been mobs of different types. They're being removed for now but may be reintroduced later.

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 00:24

While i'm playing, i'll do map captures.
Is the correct way to do this adding enable_local_map_saving = true into my minetest.conf? Only works in 0.4.11+ though :(
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

forgotmyname

by forgotmyname » Thu Oct 01, 2015 00:53

What a wonderful coincidence; I installed and attempted to use Minetest for the first time today in a number of years. I was saddened to find that Redcrab didn't work after logging in for the first time, but I'm very happy to find that this project is being done to give us old Redcrab players a more stable place to view our creations. I've been trying to track down a lot of my old buildings, though that's a little hard right now because of teleporter issues. Thanks for putting this together, OldCoder; I've been on a nostalgia trip all evening.

Also, as seems to be traditional for me, I mistyped my password when logging into the server for the first time, so I'll need a reset. How can I go about that, OldCoder?

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 01:00

kaadmy wrote:While i'm playing, i'll do map captures. Is the correct way to do this adding enable_local_map_saving = true into my minetest.conf? Only works in 0.4.11+ though :(

1. I think that the setting is correct.

2. Regarding 0.4.11, I'm told that 0.4.11 can connect to the old Redcrab world. You apparently need to clear your cache before connecting, which is, of course, inconvenient.

New captures will be useful to help with repairs and to transfer new buildings. However, they may not be as important as I thought.

Fixer says that my Redcrab has legacy buildings that are already lost on the old server. In other words, my copy may be more faithful to the original Redcrab in places than the old server is.

3. As a separate note, chests transferred from the old server still belong to the original owners and are confirmed to work correctly.

Coords:  -3978.3, 8.5, 15224.3
Name:    Shimao Complex is Open for Business

Last edited by OldCoder on Thu Oct 01, 2015 01:17, edited 2 times in total.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 01:13

forgotmyname, Hello.

1. The password for your account on OldCoder Redcrab has been reset.

2. The travelnets do work. It's tricky and some of the stations are missing. However, try standing outside a booth and right-clicking the back wall. This will usually pop up a list of connected stations and some of them will work.

3. I'm hoping that Sokomine can help with travelnet bug fixes. I may also add other ways to teleport from city to city.

4. You're welcome, and here's a request in return:

When you can, email oldcoder@yahoo.com or PM me remarks related to your buildings, including names and coords. Most Minetest worlds will disappear over time. I'd like some of mine to be available years from now with at least the names of the buildings and a few words about them available.

Last edited by OldCoder on Thu Oct 01, 2015 02:38, edited 2 times in total.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 02:36

Name:    Happy Creature Exterior
Coords:  180.2, 41.9, -50.6

Name:    Happy Creature Interior
Coords:  208.4, 47.3, -41.6

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:11

Most of one travel network (Sokomine Sightseeing) in OldCoder Redcrab may be working now. However, the other networks still need to be fixed.

There are three issues with travelnets:

1. In OldCoder Redcrab, if any block is located immediately behind the upper rear panel of a travelnet, the panel doesn't work correctly. The only fix found so far is to delete the block. In some cases, the travelnet must also be deleted and recreated in a different place. I'd like to ask Sokomine about this.

2. The texture for the rear panels in most copies of "travelnet" seems to be incorrect. The one I had on Silvercrab seems to be correct, so this issue is fixed.

3. The networks are unstable. Some stations are missing from the lists. Other stations are listed but may be dropped as you travel due to booths being missing. This will be sorted out over time.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Thu Oct 01, 2015 16:00

Few screenshots that demonstrate slab and panel problem: https://imgur.com/a/EuLCB (correct one is from 0.4.4)

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 19:45

Since MT's player movement is client-side, there are problems on Redcrab, as if you have a deep pit with ladders at the bottom, you will die unless you have 0.4.4. I tried it with 0.4.6, and you don't stop as fast on ladders, and you fly past them and get killed.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 23:27

Owner information has been loaded into the world's areas database. This means that many legacy areas are now protected.

Additionally, you can now see who worked on particular legacy areas. The jet plane shown below, for example, was apparently created by rob65536 and/or luigi512.

Name:    Jet plane, including vapor trail
Builder: rob65536 and/or luigi512
Coords:  -113.66, 67.72, -3.35

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 02, 2015 02:19

Two developments:

1. To fix some of the mis-oriented panels and slabs, everything North of 14,000 has been reset. However, nothing has been lost. If you were building North of 14,000, see me in-game or in IRC. We can retrieve your work from a backup.

2. Redcrab is a large world. map.sqlite is over 8GB in size. So, while I was making copies tonight, I ran out of disk space. The auth.txt file was lost. This means that I'll need to grant most players interact again.

Details:

3. Most of the mis-oriented panels and slabs resulted, unsurprisingly, from a bug in a "moreblocks" ABM.

In the past, "moreblocks" supported legacy nodes with names similar to "panel_brick_vertical". The author dropped the legacy nodes and added ABMs to "moreblocks" to convert them to newer ones. Eventually, he dropped the ABMs.

We're using a copy of "moreblocks" that has the ABMs. One of the ABMs converted the legacy nodes incorrectly. There was no way to fix the problem using additional ABMs without risking more problems.

MoreProblems is a better name for MoreBlocks.

I patched the problematic ABM. However, thousands of nodes had already been converted. It was too late to use the patched ABM to fix them.

Due to the size of one of the affected areas, a large city created by coffeecrafter, the most practical solution was to reset everything located North of 14,000.

If you've been building or making repairs North of 14,000, nothing is lost. We can copy your changes back into the world from a backup.

There is an alternative approach that can be used to fix mis-oriented nodes located South of 14,000.

Before MoreBlocks Purification Ritual:

After MoreBlocks Purification Ritual:

Last edited by OldCoder on Sun Oct 04, 2015 23:10, edited 2 times in total.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 02, 2015 07:55

This is a showcase world with widely scattered cities. However, most visitors won't have interact and so won't be able to use travelnets. They'll have difficulty getting to the cities even with fly enabled. So, teleport is on by default temporarily. I may add special travel commands to use instead.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Fri Oct 02, 2015 14:05

Nice, I will check my list of errornous slabs if they are fixed.

Edit: they are not fixed.
Last edited by Fixerol on Fri Oct 02, 2015 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

CWz

by CWz » Fri Oct 02, 2015 14:31

I have a build privs mod . you will be able to give players interact without them be able to build/mine

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 02, 2015 19:52

1. CWz, email the mod to oldcoder@yahoo.com or see me in IRC.

2, Fixerol, panels and slabs which have been loaded already are not fixed. The buggy MoreBlocks ABM has already converted them to incorrect forms. They'll need to be reset.

Set your yaw (direction) to zero. In other words, face North. Put an imaginary box around each building that needs to be reset.

* Fly to the lower left (most South-West and deepest) corner and note the coords. This is point #1.
* Fly to the upper right (most North-East and highest) corner and note the coords. This is point #2.
* Email me the point #1 and point #2 coords for each building

Important: Buildings will be reset to Old Redcrab state. The 16x16x16 mapblocks that contain them will be reset as well. Changes made so far in the new world for the mapblocks will be lost. So, you should fix small glitches manually. However, email me coords for larger examples.

Note: It's worth the time and effort to do this. Teleport to Coffeecrafter's city at -4588.4, 23.5, 15160.5 and you'll see that it came out well.

Last edited by OldCoder on Fri Oct 02, 2015 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 02, 2015 22:41

Standard doors and Home Decor doors are now consistent with regards to the mouse-click used to open them. Both types are opened by right-click and not left-click.

If people prefer the original mode, I can make standard doors use left-click instead. However, due to a technical issue, Home Decor doors will need to use right-click regardless.

The technical issue, for Home Decor doors, is that the "open" click mode is apparently determined when a node is created and not at runtime. To change the mode, we'd need to edit every Home Decor node in the world.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Oct 04, 2015 07:38

1. Panels and slabs in 8 areas identified by Fixer have been rotated to fix orientation.

2. The wiki mod has been added for the purposes of documentation.

coffeecrafter

by coffeecrafter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:40

hey,

thanks again for working out the issue with the panels so well! And thanks for advertising my city - I don't want to come over too proud of myself, but it's really worth a view when you visit redcrab. If you can't teleport by command there's a travelnet in my building next to spawn. (the sandstone-red one where Oxredans shop once was)
City is called Makalu ;)

You're doing a good job OldCoder, keep on that great effort
----
greetings
coffeecrafter

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Thu Oct 08, 2015 15:36

Did some repairs in Pyrite city and airport near it. Looks good. Also, need to find AspireMint's big aircraft carrier location (slab problems).

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Oct 08, 2015 20:40

Fixer, Hi. You should have received email related to the current set of reset regions. Email the extra information when you can.

Additional improvements have been made to the world. I'll post about them once the regions in question have been addressed.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri Oct 09, 2015 05:10

OldCoder Redcrab has been updated as follows:

1. Three regions identified by Fixer have been reset to the base state to fix MoreBlocks issues.

2. Travelnet stations are being fixed up.

I need help with completing the travel networks. If you'd like to help, turn captures on and visit as many of the travelnet stations on the old world as possible. When you're done, notify me. You can reach me by email, in-game, in IRC, or by forum PM.

One issue is likely to take a while. There's a bug with travelnets such that they may not work if anything is located behind them. So, I've had to go around moving travelnets or deleting blocks behind them.

3. Makalu, Coffeecrafter's impressive city located north of 14,000, is now on the Sightseeing travel network.

4. I've made enhancements to the travelnet mod. For more information about the changes, visit the following link:

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4877&start=75#p194067

5. I've installed a mod named "buildpriv", provided by CWz, and turned on default interact. The net effect is that visitors should be able to use travelnets now, but not build until they're granted the "build" priv.

Test the world and tell me if griefing by visitors is possible now or if this is a workable solution to the visitor-travelnet issue.

6. At Sokomine's request, her Replacer mod has been added.

7. Also as requested by Sokomine, a texture named "plankstone" has been modified so as to match the original world more accurately.

Name:     Large chicken and large flat Nyan Cat
Builders: Chicken, by emspri; Nyan Cat, by Martin
World:    OldCoder Redcrab
Server:   minetest.org
Port:     30006
Coords:   49.4, 52.1, 643.2

Last edited by OldCoder on Sun Oct 11, 2015 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Oct 11, 2015 18:29

1. Two large regions identified by Fixer have been reset to the base state to correct MoreBlocks problems.

2. One region includes the building shown below. Is this in Pyrite City or is it a nearby community?

3. Preserve existing area ownership, because this helps to identify builders. But some areas are unprotected and unidentified. For these areas, feel free to set yourself as owner. Name areas of this type Unknown.

4. If you're a former Redcrab builder, assistance with reproducing travel networks is requested. For more information, see older posts.

Name:     Apartments or Hotel
Builders: FMK or coffeecrafter
World:    OldCoder Redcrab
Server:   minetest.org
Port:     30006
Coords:   -93.9, 39.0, 2651.1

coffeecrafter

by coffeecrafter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:42

the one in front is my appartment building ;) think it's on south end of my district in Pyrite where the rail splits up.

aaand a new project is in the making (having holidays for 2 weeks)

Next

Return to Minetest Servers