OldCoder Redcrab

coffeecrafter

Re: OldCoder Redcrab

by coffeecrafter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 08:24

there's another "interesting" thing that I've noticed. Nothing that needs to be fixed but worth mentioning.

Due to the imported map, there's large underground areas that are now like space because the blocks in them are missing. The only blocks that aren't missing are: The nyan cats! Maybe they are to strong to be ereased...

I took an image at a drilling hole I had created on the old redcrab server. The mapping bot only saved a couple of nodes around that hole:

You can see the cat clearly when you're more that 100 blocks from it! I found 3 nyans in maybe 10 minutes of getting down on the "outside" of the structure with all them close to the border like this one. I don't know if they are everywhere in the "underground space" or just around the recorded areas ... maybe going to check that out another day ;)

_____
coffee

edit: grabbing ores now has also been pushed to another level

Dartmouth

IRC: pilino1234

by Dartmouth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 16:11

coffeecrafter wrote:Due to the imported map, there's large underground areas that are now like space because the blocks in them are missing. The only blocks that aren't missing are: The nyan cats! Maybe they are to strong to be ereased...
[snip]

That's because the nyan cats are spawned by Minetest Game, not mapgen, so they will appear even if mapgen is off.

forgotmyname

by forgotmyname » Sat Oct 17, 2015 15:57

I've been away for awhile with computer issues, but I'm back to check in occasionally. OldCoder, there should be an email coming your way soon with a few locations that I collected the coords of a week or two ago.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Oct 18, 2015 06:43

1. forgotmyname, thank you.

2. There isn't much encouragement from the core team for projects like this one. Actually, it's discouraging to talk to some of them. They're harsh and negative. But when a kid says "I love this skin thank you so much" or a builder is happy to be supported, it's worth the effort.

I smiled when I noticed the following remark today:

<Lynx> omg my castle is here!

The screenshot below shows one of Lynx's buildings. Note: Lynx may have been known as Lynxx in the original Redcrab. I don't have full user information for the world.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Name:     Redcrab building at night
Builders: Linxx (aka Lynxx)
World:    OldCoder Redcrab
Server:   minetest.org
Port:     30006
Coords:   432.0, 75.1, 320.1

Last edited by OldCoder on Tue Oct 27, 2015 00:12, edited 2 times in total.

forgotmyname

by forgotmyname » Mon Oct 26, 2015 03:02

If he's the Lynx I think he is, his full username was oOChainLynxOo. I might be wrong, though, since there may have been a user with the actual username Lynx or something similar. My memory is somewhat hazy on usernames.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Mon Oct 26, 2015 03:49

forgotmyname wrote:"My memory is somewhat hazy on usernames."

Is that where your nick "forgotmyname" came from? :-)

If it was oOChainLynxOo, this is good. In this case, he knows that I've kept a promise to rescue the world.

If I remember correctly, this project started one year ago when he asked me to host a copy of Redcrab. I agreed to do so in exchange for a photo of his cat. I was collecting cat photos at the time to illustrate a poem titled "Cats Everywhere".

Linxx

by Linxx » Mon Oct 26, 2015 15:06

That is not oOChainLynxOo's build it's mine his build here was a village but i forget where he put it and a house near the original spawn where the travel net was first built I think my memory of the server is not too good haven't been there in a while he might have done more.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Mon Oct 26, 2015 19:25

Linxx, we're glad regardless to see that you found your castle. Most other buildings should also be present.

Linxx

by Linxx » Mon Oct 26, 2015 19:59

I honestly thought it was gone along with my grandmothers house remake.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Mon Oct 26, 2015 20:38

Linxx wrote:"I honestly thought it was gone along with my grandmothers house remake."

With luck, your grandmother's house and other works should survive indefinitely now, at least as footnotes to the history of online games.

My servers and I won't necessarily last for long. But if people will help to stabilize and document some of the worlds, I'll put them on sticks, add the source code for the copy of MT used, and distribute the sticks. With enough copies out there, the worlds will never disappear entirely.

I'm following the same path for other works of my own. Think of it as casting a bottle into the River of Time.

If you can, send me remarks related to Redcrab. It's simply a game world, but it has a small history of its own. Include coords of interesting places. You can reach me by forum PM, in IRC, or by email.

Granny Lynxx's Ol' House is shown below. The red object visible through one window is the blanket on Granny's bed.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Name:     Granny Lynxx's Ol' House
Builders: Linxx (aka Lynxx)
Coords:   419.3, 67.0, 316.8

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48

Speak with OldCoder in IRC if you need to.

Linxx

by Linxx » Tue Nov 10, 2015 23:41

might stop by to ask for some cords i really want to see all the old stuff that got left behind

aldobr

by aldobr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 18:49

oh my, my humble village is online there ! but the kbc radio tower is clipped at the top, no radio shack nor aerials...

rest of the village is ok, need to place the village square travelnet into the global travelnet again...

I believe my small village is the only one there that has a cinema and a cemetary...

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 21:29

I remember when Redcrab was the only server on 0.3.1...
Happy to see some people pushing it back ! :) (even if it's not Redcrab)

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sat Nov 28, 2015 08:31

aldobr wrote:"oh my, my humble village is online there ! but the kbc radio tower is clipped at the top, no radio shack nor aerials...rest of the village is ok, need to place the village square travelnet into the global travelnet again... I believe my small village is the only one there that has a cinema and a cemetary..."

1. aldobr, if you can provide me with the coords of the radio tower, I may be able to fix it. It may take a while, because I'll need to get into Old RedCrab with a capture client. Or, if you like, you can repair the tower in the new copy of the world.

2. Humble Village is now included in the Sightseeing travelnet that has a station at Redcrab spawn.

prof-turbo wrote:"I remember when Redcrab was the only server on 0.3.1... Happy to see some people pushing it back ! :) (even if it's not Redcrab)"

3. prof-turbo, OldCoder Redcrab has buildings that are griefed or missing entirely on Old Redcrab, so, despite glitches such as clipped radio towers, it might be thought of as the "real" Redcrab now.

4. As a note to Fixer, Coffee Crafter, and everybody interested in the world, I've recently rebuilt the map using new software. Please check representative areas and report issues to me in-game, in IRC, or by email.

If you say "OldCoder" as part of an in-game message, I'll usually see the message later.

Name:     Aldo Cinema
Builders: aldo
Coords:   1311, 19.5, 2124.8

Last edited by OldCoder on Mon Dec 07, 2015 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sat Nov 28, 2015 21:05

Name:     Bank of Desert City
Builders: Unknown
Coords:   111.6, 21.9, 687.2

webdesigner97

GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 22:10

Ah, all these goold old times! This is an amazing project!

Btw, I just discovered the Bank of Desert City here! It was a project I built in... uh... I don't remember, but it even has a strong room which used to be as safe as it could be at this time :) To be honest, I'm not really proud of it anymore... But nevermind.
I'll provide more details about DC, Ade96's medieval city, underground city and some other areas ASAP!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Mar 13, 2016 00:08

webdesigner97 wrote:Btw, I just discovered the Bank of Desert City here! It was a project I built in... uh... I don't remember, but it even has a strong room which used to be as safe as it could be at this time :) To be honest, I'm not really proud of it anymore... But nevermind.
I'll provide more details about DC, Ade96's medieval city, underground city and some other areas ASAP!

That would be fine. All those places are still great to visit and enjoy :-) It's good that they remain accessible.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Previous

Return to Minetest Servers