[Mod] Farming Plus [farming_plus]

shaneroach

by shaneroach » Tue May 21, 2013 20:41

Fuh.

So I never had farming or farming_plus installed. Using just vanilla 4.6 I am not finding any seeds or a hoe recipe. Don't I still need farming plus the old farming_plus? Or do I have an old 4.6 version or something?

Sorry to bother you, but after poking around for the old farming mod to try this out through trial and error, I gave up being unable to find it.

If I do need them, can you possibly hook me up with a link to them both? Or perhaps just smack me over the head with the recipe for the hoe.... I have tried everything I can think of. stick stick and half a pick one direction, then the other, then stick stick stick and a hoe prong one direction, then the other... nada.
Last edited by shaneroach on Tue May 21, 2013 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
In order to change yourself, you must believe the change is possible and that there are rewards for making the change.
- Inspired by Hebrews 11:6

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue May 21, 2013 20:44

shaneroach wrote:Fuh.

So I never had farming or farming_plus installed. Using just vanilla 4.6 I am not finding any seeds or a hoe recipe. Don't I still need farming plus the old farming_plus? Or do I have an old 4.6 version or something?

Sorry to bother you, but after poking around for the old farming mod to try this out through trial and error, I gave up being unable to find it.

There is no farming in 0.4.6 stable. It is in the current dev version and will be in 0.4.7 vanilla.
If you want farming for 0.4.6, then download it from here: https://github.com/PilzAdam/farming

shaneroach

by shaneroach » Tue May 21, 2013 20:45

PilzAdam wrote:

There is no farming in 0.4.6 stable. It is in the current dev version and will be in 0.4.7 vanilla.
If you want farming for 0.4.6, then download it from here: https://github.com/PilzAdam/farming

Bingo.

Cept now will your current farming_plus not work along with that?
In order to change yourself, you must believe the change is possible and that there are rewards for making the change.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue May 21, 2013 20:48

shaneroach wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:

Bingo.

No, added a link to a working version to the first post.

shaneroach

by shaneroach » Tue May 21, 2013 20:55

PilzAdam wrote:
shaneroach wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:There is no farming in 0.4.6 stable. It is in the current dev version and will be in 0.4.7 vanilla.

Bingo.

That link gives me a zip named farming-11d66ac4e6d539ae77b5779ef7948f12795d23af that contains the same plants as the farming-master link.

When you fix that so that it leads to the farming_plus file, will I be needing to rename the resulting folder to farming-plus (without the numbers) or something?

Sorry to be such a pest, but thanks for your help.

(Edited to add -- farming-master has to be renamed to farming in order to load for me, for example.)
Last edited by shaneroach on Tue May 21, 2013 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue May 21, 2013 21:00

shaneroach wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
shaneroach wrote:Bingo.

That link gives me a zip named farming-11d66ac4e6d539ae77b5779ef7948f12795d23af that contains the same plants as the farming-master link.

When you fix that so that it leads to the farming_plus file, will I be needing to rename the resulting folder to farming-plus (without the numbers) or something?

Sorry to be such a pest, but thanks for your help.

Oooops... link fixed. Rename the folder to "farming_plus".
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue May 21, 2013 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

shaneroach

by shaneroach » Tue May 21, 2013 21:15

Done and done. Thanks again!

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 23:02

Pumpkin plants don't work properly. The tilled ground beneath them eventually turns back into normal dirt, even when it is wet.

patricktrenwarren

by patricktrenwarren » Mon Jun 17, 2013 22:08

There is no wheat or corn seeds. D:

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 08:16

Inocudom wrote:Pumpkin plants don't work properly. The tilled ground beneath them eventually turns back into normal dirt, even when it is wet.

Maybe it works properly when you put plant=1 in the groups of pumpkin_1 and pumpkin_2 in the pumpkin.lua file:

minetest.register_node(":farming:pumpkin_1", (and pumpkin_2)
groups = {choppy=2, oddly_breakable_by_hand=2, flammable=2, not_in_creative_inventory=1, plant=1},

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 08:22

patricktrenwarren wrote:There is no wheat or corn seeds. D:

Wheat is in the 'normal or default' farming mod (it's under games/minetest_game/mods/ and loads automatically when yoy start a minetest game)

There is corn in the (compatible) docfarming mod:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=3948

hdastwb

GitHub: hdastwb
IRC: hdastwb
In-game: hdastwb

by hdastwb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 00:45

Topywo wrote:
Inocudom wrote:Pumpkin plants don't work properly. The tilled ground beneath them eventually turns back into normal dirt, even when it is wet.

Maybe it works properly when you put plant=1 in the groups of pumpkin_1 and pumpkin_2 in the pumpkin.lua file:

minetest.register_node(":farming:pumpkin_1", (and pumpkin_2)
groups = {choppy=2, oddly_breakable_by_hand=2, flammable=2, not_in_creative_inventory=1, plant=1},

negative

The problem is actually in the farming mod now included with minetest_game, specifically on lines 30-35 in its init.lua:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
pos.y = pos.y+1
local nn = minetest.get_node(pos).name
pos.y = pos.y-1
if minetest.registered_nodes[nn] and minetest.registered_nodes[nn].walkable then
    minetest.set_node(pos, {name="default:dirt"})
end

This code periodically reverts soil with solid nodes on top of it back into dirt. This works fine as long as there aren't any walkable plants. However, whoever wrote this check did not take pumpkins into account.

The easy way to fix this is to make pumpkins unwalkable, which I've tested and verified as working. However, since pumpkins should rightfully be walkable, a better solution might be to change the system to work how Topywo assumed that it did, changing line 33 to:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
if minetest.registered_nodes[nn] and minetest.registered_nodes[nn].groups.plant == nil then

and then add plant=1 to every single plant's groups. This is easy enough to do, but I'm not making any pull requests since the last time I did that the change suffered a painful death.

Also, bronze, diamond, and MESE swords don't work for carving pumpkins. I'm assuming this should be fixed in the next version, unless those swords are just too powerful…

hdastwb

by hdastwb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 18:21

In the absence of any response, I have gone ahead and implemented the plant group as an exception to the solid node soil reverting rule. Pull requests can be found here:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/183
and here:
https://github.com/PilzAdam/farming_plus/pull/1

The application of both of these should make it possible to grow pumpkins again.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Jun 29, 2013 01:26

hdastwb wrote:In the absence of any response, I have gone ahead and implemented the plant group as an exception to the solid node soil reverting rule. Pull requests can be found here:
and here:

The application of both of these should make it possible to grow pumpkins again.

I would say that the pull you made to minetest_game should be added to Minetest itself (I feel that placed papyrus and cacti should only grow when on hoed soil (or hoed desert sand in the case of cacti, though the usage of desert sand for farming would have to be added to Minetest.) One improvement that could be made is seeds for all 6 types of flowers, grass, jungle grass, and dry shrubs. If you could add these things to your version of farming_plus, that would be wonderful (with the plants of the base game being able to drop the seeds of the crops of farming_plus, of course.)

hdastwb

by hdastwb » Sat Jun 29, 2013 15:29

Inocudom wrote:
hdastwb wrote:In the absence of any response, I have gone ahead and implemented the plant group as an exception to the solid node soil reverting rule. Pull requests can be found here:
and here:

I would say that the pull you made to minetest_game should be added to Minetest itself (I feel that placed papyrus and cacti should only grow when on hoed soil (or hoed desert sand in the case of cacti, though the usage of desert sand for farming would have to be added to Minetest.) One improvement that could be made is seeds for all 6 types of flowers, grass, jungle grass, and dry shrubs. If you could add these things to your version of farming_plus, that would be wonderful (with the plants of the base game being able to drop the seeds of the crops of farming_plus, of course.)

I'm not entirely sure that you're talking about the right pull request here; the scope of mine is limited to adding a mechanism to specify solid plants as such so that soil doesn't become un-tilled when they are planted.

Actually, I wonder if it might be more realistic if one picked up plants and then could "craft" them into seeds. Picking them up without extracting the seeds and then planting them somewhere else would be akin to transplanting; whereas picking the plants up and extracting seeds would allow one to plant a new plant of that type (or not, as young plants would not yield seeds yet). As it is, there is a group of plants (flowers and grasses) that can only be transplanted and another (crops) that can only be replanted. If we allowed both classes of plants to be both transplanted and replanted, then that would more unify the notion of a plant in the game. I know that meat from some mobs mods spoils; if we adapted some of that code, it might also be possible to kill plants that are in inventory for too long as would happen in real life if one picked up a plant and locked it in a chest.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Jul 02, 2013 21:58

I saw your pull request, hdastwb. I hope it gets added to Minetest, for it would allow pumpkins to grow again. Perhaps pumpkins could even be added to the base game?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Jul 06, 2013 01:17

Transplanting plants is fine for building purposes. The method used by Mauvebic in his hydro mod where you can harvest the fruits of a plant and thus return the plant to an earlier stage is also very nice and realistic. Some plants (e.g. strawberries) seem to appear in diffrent types in cultures - ones that are used only one year, and ones that survive winter and grew new fruits the next year.
A list of my mods can be found here.

londumas

by londumas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 07:02

Hello,

great mod.
Is there a wiki? It would be nice to craft a dirt node with 9 weeds.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57

Inocudom wrote:https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/183
I saw your pull request, hdastwb. I hope it gets added to Minetest, for it would allow pumpkins to grow again. Perhaps pumpkins could even be added to the base game?

This pull request and the one for farming_plus is merged. Pumpkins and all other plants work now correctly with the farming mod in minetest_game.

ak399g

In-game: SAFR

by ak399g » Tue Sep 03, 2013 02:53

Any way to change the number of seeds dropped by pumpkins from 1-2 to 1-3 or 1-4?
aka SAFR

hdastwb

by hdastwb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:37

ak399g wrote:Any way to change the number of seeds dropped by pumpkins from 1-2 to 1-3 or 1-4?

Take a look inside pumkin.lua in the mod folder and scan through until you find the node definition for fully grown pumpkins (circa line 59, it should begin with 'minetest.register_node(":farming:pumpkin"'). If you look down into the on_punch handler, you'll see a couple lines that add pumpkin seeds individually to the puncher's inventory when a wooden, stone, or steel sword is used (interestingly, there's no support for bronze, MESE, or diamond swords yet); the lines look like this:
puncher:get_inventory():add_item("main", ItemStack("farming:pumpkin_seed"))
if math.random(1, 5) == 1 then
    puncher:get_inventory():add_item("main", ItemStack("farming:pumpkin_seed"))
end

You should be able to get some more seed "drops" by adding more conditionals like the second one or even by changing the code to something like this:
puncher:get_inventory():add_item("main", ItemStack("farming:pumpkin_seed "
    .. (4 - math.floor(math.log(math.random(1, 2^4 - 1))/math.log(2)))));

This code has not been tested very extensively, but if the floating point processing works in your favor and the random number generator is relatively even, you should be seeing 1 seed 8/15 times, 2 seeds 4/15 times, 3 seeds 2/15 times, and 4 seeds 1/15 times.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 14:26

What's the problem with my pull request? :-/
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Sep 03, 2013 14:36

Zeg9 wrote:What's the problem with my pull request? :-/

There is no real problem, except that Im not really happy about it.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 15:17

PilzAdam wrote:

Ok; what about gettings seeds from the weed?
EDIT: or redefine grass so it drops random seeds.
Last edited by Zeg9 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Sep 03, 2013 16:40

Zeg9 wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:

Ok; what about gettings seeds from the weed?
EDIT: or redefine grass so it drops random seeds.

Redefining grass should work, I guess.

Azuna

by Azuna » Sun Sep 29, 2013 21:01

Does anyone ahve a link to the farming that this mod is dependant on?

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sun Sep 29, 2013 21:03

Azuna wrote:Does anyone ahve a link to the farming that this mod is dependant on?
It is in the default game. :P
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

valmet565

by valmet565 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 21:03

For some reason, hoe does not work. Soil doesn't appear. I test Minetest 0.4.7 stable and only this mod.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Nov 02, 2013 21:05

valmet565 wrote:For some reason, hoe does not work. Soil doesn't appear. I test Minetest 0.4.7 stable and only this mod.

0.4.7 has farming in minetest_game, so its not added by this mod (this mod just extends the farming).
Do you try to plow the dirt with left or rightclick?

valmet565

by valmet565 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 21:09

Yes, I know how to use it. Nothing did not happen. Left click. It works if I disable this mod, no errors.
Last edited by valmet565 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases