[Mod] Skyblock [skyblock]

Sokomine

Re: [Game] Skyblock [skyblock]

by Sokomine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 03:39

Protecting slightly less (1-2 blocks?) than half the distance to the next island might be best. That'll leave room for going around islands where the owners cannot be reached in order to negotiate the path of a road through their area.
A list of my mods can be found here.

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Aug 01, 2015 04:40

I thought about that. Build protection into the quest node, and make it a tad less than half way to the next island.

The problem is a lot of people join and then leave. This leaves their island protected and prevents anyone from building there.

I feel its better to use protector mod and increase the protector range.

p.s. i created a dev chat for skyblock here - https://gitter.im/cornernote/minetest-skyblock

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Sat Aug 01, 2015 08:21

Maybe protection could be added only after players completed a few tasks, so that these players wouldn't have a protected island.

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:56

I do that already by giving players a protector block as a quest reward on level1. On later levels you can craft more protector blocks. I also changed the protect radius to 10 and set the distance between islands as 32.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 14:43

Nore wrote:Maybe protection could be added only after players completed a few tasks, so that these players wouldn't have a protected island.

Sounds like a good idea. The initial protection would only protect the very island itshelf, and each step might make it grow. Or, instead, placing a full, solid dirt node at "ground" level could always be allowed, regardless of protection. That way, other islands can be reached.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 09:08

this is in the wrong place, it's a mod pack not a game.

cornernote

by cornernote » Tue Aug 11, 2015 09:16

rubenwardy wrote:this is in the wrong place, it's a mod pack not a game.

Yes, it started as a mod that was also used as a game (and still is). I plan to make skyblock_game, so this should probably be moved to the mods section.

Rate85

In-game: Rate85

Re: [Mod] Skyblock [skyblock]

by Rate85 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 19:41

This Mod Sounded Cool, So I Downloaded It, Installed It, And Enabled It, Than I Tryed Creating A New World To Play Skyblock, But IT Generated A Normal World, If You Know Why, Please Tell Me

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 19:38

Umm, why is this in Subgame Releases? It looks like a modpack actually.
Also, the thread seems to fail the requirements in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1271

Please fix this.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

cornernote

by cornernote » Thu Mar 24, 2016 01:09

Rate85 wrote:This Mod Sounded Cool, So I Downloaded It, Installed It, And Enabled It, Than I Tryed Creating A New World To Play Skyblock, But IT Generated A Normal World, If You Know Why, Please Tell Me

Make sure you follow the instructions here:
https://cornernote.github.io/minetest-s ... downloads/

Wuzzy wrote:Umm, why is this in Subgame Releases? It looks like a modpack actually.
Also, the thread seems to fail the requirements in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1271

Please fix this.

It started life as a modpack, but it's a lot more than a modpack. It contains goals and levels that the player must complete in order to progress. I haven't got around to restructuring/packaging it as a game that can be dropped into the games folder, but will get to it one day.

The requirements for a game are here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3316, you pointed to the mod guidelines. What requirement does this not meet?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 02:10

Well, it does not meet the “be a subgame” requirement. ;-) I have actually put this into the games/ folder since it is in Subgame Releases … :-( Then I noticed it was in the wrong forum.
So this should be in Mod Releases and title should be “[Modpack] Skyblock [skyblock]”. I agree, Skyblock is a game, but it is not a subgame. The terms “modpack” and “subgame” are of purely technical nature. Also, the description and a list of dependencies are missing. And the screenshot is outdated, but this is minor.

Anyways …

I have finished the three levels just today and I like this Skyblock idea. It is not really challenging, but still enjoyable. I think it is a bit short, once you solved all levels it is basically almost like Creative Mode except that that you are building the world from scratch. The only “challenge” in Skyblock really is to think before you act, watch where you walk and think before you craft because one stupid craft can get you stuck! My strategy on the 2nd try was to put an “emergency chest” in the middle early where I try to put at least 5 of each item (at least the important ones), so I could grab and them when I died. Luckily, I did not need it.
What would be interesting to see if support for different Skyblock challenges would be added, for more difficult scenarios. Or does that already exist?
I noticed that most goals in Skyblocks can be kinda cheated by placing the same block again and again just by taking it again. For example, you can finish the “place 50 gravel” task by placing the same gravel 50 times.

I had no problems with that in particular, but what I dislike is that Skyblock requires some knowledge of some Minetest Game quirks and does not otherwise explain it, e.g. that papyrus on dirt with grass near water will grow.

Skyblock is not bug-free at the moment, I have died once, then I went to the question mark block and clicked the reset button, but I was still at level 3 after that. The reset button does not seem to work. :-( The only thing I could do is to delete the world and start over.

Also, the crafting guide for fuels is misleading. I initially thought I have to combine a furnace and dirt in the crafting grid, but I figured it out later. The crafting guide makes no difference between furnace fuels and actual recipes, so I think it could be improved.

EDIT: Reading the requirements again, Skyblock might be actually something called a “Repack”:
A [Repack] is a collection of mods that are intended to work with minetest_game, or some other game. It should be a modpack that can be dropped into minetest/mods/minetest/your_repack

Maybe discuss this with the forum moderators to find out which title is more appropriate.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

cornernote

by cornernote » Thu Mar 24, 2016 02:36

Hey Wuzzy,

I'm glad you tried it and had some fun. It's should be reasonably bug free. It would be great if you could add that bug into the issues and I'll take a look at it. https://github.com/cornernote/minetest- ... issues/new

Rate85

by Rate85 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 20:06

cornernote wrote:
Rate85 wrote:This Mod Sounded Cool, So I Downloaded It, Installed It, And Enabled It, Than I Tryed Creating A New World To Play Skyblock, But IT Generated A Normal World, If You Know Why, Please Tell Me

Make sure you follow the instructions here:
https://cornernote.github.io/minetest-s ... downloads/

I Did This, But It Still Did Not Work, I Got An Error Message, And I Took A Screenshot, But I Couldn't Find Where The Screenshot Was Saved

Passante

In-game: Passante

by Passante » Fri Apr 08, 2016 08:37

Hi. I think I may be missing something... shouldn't there be a tree on the starting island ? Or maybe a sapling or leaves/sticks in my inventory when I begin ?

I start on one single flat island with nothing more than dirt and the "?" quest block. I can dig the 10 dirt blocks and place them, but then... I couldn't find a way to "craft a sapling and grow a tree" with no leaves/sticks/tree/sapling to begin with...

I searched on the web for tutorials, alternative recipes... just found people with trees on their island or leaves and sticks in their pockets... What am I missing ?

I run minetest-0.4.13-dev-win64-ca8e56c in singleplayer and I tried with the mod in worldmods or in minetest/mods
Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium (Édition Familiale Prémium)

ThatGraemeGuy

GitHub: thatgraemeguy
IRC: ThatGraemeGuy
In-game: thatgraemeguy

by ThatGraemeGuy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 08:41

When you complete "dig 10 blocks" you are rewarded a stick. When you complete "place 10 dirt" you are rewarded 6 leaves. You use those to craft a sapling. Rewards appear when you right-click the quest block.

Passante

In-game: Passante

by Passante » Fri Apr 08, 2016 09:16

Thank you so much !
I tried again and got my rewards as you said.
Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium (Édition Familiale Prémium)

linushsao

IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

Re:

by linushsao » Sat Apr 16, 2016 14:39

NakedFury wrote:Cant play this.
View goes black, I can see a bar where the hearts are, the minetest blah blah FPS=60 and thats it.

Can't play +1

[linus@archlinux skyblock]$ minetest --version
Minetest 0.4.13
Using Irrlicht 1.8.3
Build info: VER=0.4.13 BUILD_TYPE=Release RUN_IN_PLACE=0 USE_GETTEXT=1 USE_SOUND=1 USE_CURL=1 USE_FREETYPE=1 USE_LUAJIT=0 STATIC_SHAREDIR="/usr/share/minetest"

KCoombes

In-game: Knatt or Rudilyn

by KCoombes » Sat Apr 16, 2016 14:48

Nvm - was mistaken on the subject

linushsao

Re:

by linushsao » Sat Apr 16, 2016 15:14

cornernote wrote:
NakedFury wrote:Cant play this.
View goes black, I can see a bar where the hearts are, the minetest blah blah FPS=60 and thats it.

Sometimes the client too fast and the mod doesn't create the spawn block. I'm still working on a better solution. For now you can just quit an rejoin. If there is still no spawn block then join with a new username.

I am going to provide a /restart command which will empty your inventory then give you a new spawn position.

tks,cornernote. you are right. after i saw you thought"...Sometimes the client too fast and the mod doesn't create the spawn block...", i try another way,and it works.

first ,create skyblock-server by minetestserver , then login by minetest.and it works.

linushsao

by linushsao » Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:20

a few question. when i look down from my skyblock,it's all white floor,how could i replace the white floor with sea?

cornernote

by cornernote » Mon Apr 18, 2016 00:22

linushsao wrote:a few question. when i look down from my skyblock,it's all white floor,how could i replace the white floor with sea?

See Ocean Mode here:

https://cornernote.github.io/minetest-skyblock/docs/

linushsao

by linushsao » Mon Apr 18, 2016 17:28

cornernote wrote:
linushsao wrote:a few question. when i look down from my skyblock,it's all white floor,how could i replace the white floor with sea?

See Ocean Mode here:

https://cornernote.github.io/minetest-skyblock/docs/

tks,cornernote. i read the doc & try to setup the ocean.i saw a huge water in a area far away,but water will not flowing around all the floor. it needs any config_setting else?

ps. i can't wait,so already use worldedit to add water_source ..XD

cornernote

by cornernote » Tue Apr 19, 2016 04:02

you probably need to start a new world, as the clouds have already been generated nearby

Rate85

by Rate85 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 20:12

Please, I Need To Know What I'm Doing Wrong, I Tryed What You Said, Cornernote, But IT Still Won't Work

linushsao

by linushsao » Sun Apr 24, 2016 04:29

cornernote wrote:you probably need to start a new world, as the clouds have already been generated nearby

my 12 years old kid find the solution. get a bucket(bucket:bucket_empty),punch the sea made from worldedit, as bucket filled with water,punch sea again.

than sea will be flowing....

repeat several time, all the sea will be flowing like normal sea in minetest.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon May 02, 2016 14:03

Wuzzy wrote:What would be interesting to see if support for different Skyblock challenges would be added, for more difficult scenarios. Or does that already exist?

Take a look at my posting in this very same thread. You can find more and more challenging levels in my fork. It is based on Cornernotes' old skyblock game and extends those levels there. It ends with level 6 and a small reward on top of a very large hollow sphere of dirt.

cornernote

by cornernote » Mon May 02, 2016 23:26

Sokomine, I have added a link to your fork in the first post.

oscar14

GitHub: camus14

by oscar14 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 18:29

Great game! I only have one problem, I can't craft planks from pine tree. But other than that I love it.

Thanks for the fun.

Daud

by Daud » Sat Sep 03, 2016 02:09

Hi

I'm loving this mod.

However like Oscar above, I can't craft planks from pine wood. This can completely bork your game if you are unlucky enough to constantly spawn pine trees and run out of sticks to make new saplings

Also, I inadvertently completed a couple of tasks from higher levels before they were unlocked so it teleported me above the quest block for that level but there was nothing there so I fell from a great height and died.

If you die and restart level 1 (for example) it clears any progress you have made on level 2. I'd like to see with permadeath but others may disagree.

I feel having water around the island is a bit cheaty. This helps with plant growth, which I suspect gives you a leg up with some of the later quests meaning they aren't as hard as they should be.

Keep up the good work!

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Sep 03, 2016 02:13

Thanks for your positive feedback, van you code? If so it would be great to see some pull requests for the improvements you suggested.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases