Re: [Mod] Sprint [sprint]

by Minetestforfun » Fri Nov 14, 2014 19:07

Thank you for your work ! :)

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Fri Nov 14, 2014 22:40

Yes, it's a good mod.
One thing: I would like to have those HUD-arrows in an other color, so they are visible at night.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 22:47

Ya. Change them to a red-ish color, or something like that.

GunshipPenguin

GitHub: GunshipPenguin
IRC: GunshipPenguin
In-game: GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 00:06

philipbenr wrote:Ya. Change them to a red-ish color, or something like that.

Krock wrote:Yes, it's a good mod.
One thing: I would like to have those HUD-arrows in an other color, so they are visible at night.

Good advice, they are now green.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sat Nov 15, 2014 02:47

Cool. Thanks.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sat Nov 15, 2014 03:07

This works surprisingly well. good job!
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Sat Nov 15, 2014 03:28

Hi,

my variable "SPRINT_STAMINA" is set to 10, and i have only 5 arrows "stamina.png" in my hud.
After 1 second of sprinting, it takes 0.5 of an arrow, and after 10seconds, all arrow disappear.

Please, can you explain me a way to have the "SPRINT_STAMINA" set to 10, 10 arrows in my hud, and 1 arrow disappear after 1 second ?

Thank you for reading/answering :)

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 05:58

Minetestforfun wrote:Hi,

my variable "SPRINT_STAMINA" is set to 10, and i have only 5 arrows "stamina.png" in my hud.
After 1 second of sprinting, it takes 0.5 of an arrow, and after 10seconds, all arrow disappear.

Please, can you explain me a way to have the "SPRINT_STAMINA" set to 10, 10 arrows in my hud, and 1 arrow disappear after 1 second ?

Thank you for reading/answering :)

Sorry, that was something I forgot to correct when adding the stamina bar. Just made a commit that fixes it.

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Sun Nov 16, 2014 13:34

Thank you for your fast fix !

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Mon Nov 17, 2014 00:13

Hi,

It's me again :D
And Thank you again for your last update, it resolved my issue !

Today, im trying to change the "sprint key", i think dual key W (or Z for me, french keyboard) between "0.50 to 0.59 sec" to launch the sprint, isn't pratical...
My server is a Survival Server, nobody in my server has the "fast" privilege, so my idea for players sprint easily is to replace the dual W/Z with the fast key pressed, and when the player didn't press the "fast" key, the sprint stop and the players walk...

My problem : i haven't found a way for make it work... Can you help me ? Or, do this feature ?

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:01

Minetestforfun wrote:Hi,

It's me again :D
And Thank you again for your last update, it resolved my issue !

Today, im trying to change the "sprint key", i think dual key W (or Z for me, french keyboard) between "0.50 to 0.59 sec" to launch the sprint, isn't pratical...
My server is a Survival Server, nobody in my server has the "fast" privilege, so my idea for players sprint easily is to replace the dual W/Z with the fast key pressed, and when the player didn't press the "fast" key, the sprint stop and the players walk...

My problem : i haven't found a way for make it work... Can you help me ? Or, do this feature ?

Check out the latest commit. You can now choose between either sprinting by holding the e key or sprinting by double tapping w. Change SPRINT_METHOD to switch between the methods.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 05:37

Thank you so much!!! This is very helpful. Now, I can set my fast move key to a different key, and have the sprint be realistic.

Edit: This will be added to Lux_Solis eventually to replace default fast move.

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Wed Nov 19, 2014 17:01

Thank you for your update :)

Just a last things, can you re-add with a variable, if it's possible (or make an alternative branch with it, i don't know) :
- The "stamina runs out message" (because players like it in my server)
- And the "sprint stop" if players do a left or right mouse click ?

Nubm

by Nubm » Thu Nov 20, 2014 09:41

Hi. I installed that mod and it wouldnt start. When i disabled the mod, it had cleared out my entire world, put me on a random location, with no inventory.
Any Idea what might have caused this? And how to revert that? I don't have a newer backup and no idea that a simple mod can cause problems like this.

This is what the degub.txt has to say:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
10:27:27: ERROR[main]: Empty rollback log
10:27:28: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "sprint-master": modname does not follow naming conventions: Only chararacters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.
10:27:28: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua
10:27:28: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua
10:27:41: ERROR[main]: Empty rollback log
10:27:41: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "sprint-master": modname does not follow naming conventions: Only chararacters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.
10:27:41: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua
10:27:41: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua
10:27:52: ERROR[main]: Empty rollback log

Any help on that would be nice. I just hope it didn't kill my world.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:59

Nubm wrote:Hi. I installed that mod and it wouldnt start. When i disabled the mod, it had cleared out my entire world, put me on a random location, with no inventory.
Any Idea what might have caused this? And how to revert that? I don't have a newer backup and no idea that a simple mod can cause problems like this.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
10:27:28: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "sprint-master": modname does not follow naming conventions: Only chararacters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.
10:27:28: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua
10:27:28: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua
10:27:41: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "sprint-master": modname does not follow naming conventions: Only chararacters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.
10:27:41: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua
10:27:41: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run D:\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\sprint-master\init.lua

you need too rename the folder to sprint.
Remove the -master
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Nubm

by Nubm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 01:26

Don wrote:you need too rename the folder to sprint.
Remove the -master

Thanks, the mod works now. Have not played for a while and simply forgot about that. It was mentioned in other mods before.
Anyways, my world and inventory is still missing. Is there any way to recover it, and what has caused this? I don't want this to happen again in the future (i will make backups from now on before installing any mod tho).

Don

by Don » Fri Nov 21, 2014 02:01

Nubm wrote:
Don wrote:you need too rename the folder to sprint.
Remove the -master

Thanks, the mod works now. Have not played for a while and simply forgot about that. It was mentioned in other mods before.
Anyways, my world and inventory is still missing. Is there any way to recover it, and what has caused this? I don't want this to happen again in the future (i will make backups from now on before installing any mod tho).

The mod shouldn't have cause your issue. Can you give a little more info about it? It might be best if you start a new thread in the Bugs and Problems section of the forum for this.
Just a thought, go into your world folder and check the env_meta.txt.
It should look like this
game_time = 1768
time_of_day = 11566
EnvArgsEnd

The numbers can be different but you need all 3 lines. If it is missing then just copy and paste the above and save the file.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Nubm

by Nubm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 03:19

env_meta.txt was ok, had put in the selcetion above to be sure, didn't change anything.

I've asked here because it happened right after i put that mod in (with the error message i mentioned above). Never had this problem before, have some mods installed and made some myself too. I didn't changed anything between my last playsession and the installation of this mod, not even drivers. I also doubt that this mod is directly responsible for the problem, but somehow the error has probably caused it. And maybe others had experienced this too, or know what to do or where to look at.
The map.sqlite is 245.877KB so it is probably still there. Also two empty files called rollback.txt and rollback.txt.migrating and a rollback.sqlite file size of 9k. I removed them teporary, but that didn't changed anything.

Don

by Don » Fri Nov 21, 2014 04:49

Nubm wrote:env_meta.txt was ok, had put in the selcetion above to be sure, didn't change anything.

I've asked here because it happened right after i put that mod in (with the error message i mentioned above). Never had this problem before, have some mods installed and made some myself too. I didn't changed anything between my last playsession and the installation of this mod, not even drivers. I also doubt that this mod is directly responsible for the problem, but somehow the error has probably caused it. And maybe others had experienced this too, or know what to do or where to look at.
The map.sqlite is 245.877KB so it is probably still there. Also two empty files called rollback.txt and rollback.txt.migrating and a rollback.sqlite file size of 9k. I removed them teporary, but that didn't changed anything.

What does your debug.txt say now?
Can you load other worlds?
I suggested you post in the Bugs and Problems section because I thought it was an unrelated problem and because the people that are good at this type of issues will look in that section more often then this one.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 04:55

Minetestforfun wrote:Thank you for your update :)

Just a last things, can you re-add with a variable, if it's possible (or make an alternative branch with it, i don't know) :
- The "stamina runs out message" (because players like it in my server)
- And the "sprint stop" if players do a left or right mouse click ?

Here's a version with those edits. Whenever a player runs out of stamina, or presses the LMB or RMB, they stop sprinting and there is a 3 second timeout, during which they cannot sprint.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/513vws

Nubm wrote:Hi. I installed that mod and it wouldnt start. When i disabled the mod, it had cleared out my entire world, put me on a random location, with no inventory.

See this thread for naming conventions:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10029

Nubm wrote:env_meta.txt was ok, had put in the selcetion above to be sure, didn't change anything.

I can't think of what could be causing this. Someone with more experence on the Bugs and problems forum may have an answer though.

Topywo

by Topywo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 09:12

@Nubm

Do you have a file world.mt under your minetest/worlds/"the world you lost but still got the map.sqlite from" ?

When you open it are the 2 following lines in it ?:
gameid = minetest (or another game you use)
backend = sqlite3

Do you have a file singleplayer under your minetest/worlds/"the world you lost but still got the map.sqlite from"/players ? (or the name you play with at that world) (or do you have more files in this directory?)

When you open this file, you see detailed stats about the player (including position and inventory).

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 21:04

Thank you GunshipPenguin, awesome work :)

Nubm

by Nubm » Sun Nov 23, 2014 03:46

Topywo wrote:Do you have a file singleplayer under your minetest/worlds/"the world you lost but still got the map.sqlite from"/players ? (or the name you play with at that world) (or do you have more files in this directory?)

When you open this file, you see detailed stats about the player (including position and inventory).

That was it, a second player named Guest and some numbers. I deleted it (contained only the 2 dirts i had gathered) and i was back in my world. Thanks a lot! (It had put me in at world spawn, not the position i left tho.)

Btw GunshipPenguin, great mod. Sorry for that posts.

Edit: I didn't start as singleplayer but as server. Thats why it created the Guest player. Everything solved now and my world and inventory is back. Thanks to all that help. :)

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:35

Hi,

Sometimes, after some days of server activity, the sprint doesn't work anymore for all players...

Maybe can you add a security line ? (maybe something like "if nobody sprint in a duration of 30 minutes, reset the sprint/back to the beginning of the code ?")

(PS : i don't have errors in logs when it happens)

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 22:31

This is a very interesting mod, I have finally tried it out on my computer and it works pretty fine.

This looks like a very good candidate to make use of my still experimental HUD bars mod. As soon as I hit the 1.0.0 milestone with it, I will seek to modifiy the code of this mod so it makes use of the HUD bars mod and use the current standard statbar as a fall-back option when this mod is not present.
When I am finished, I will open a pull request on GitHub.

Edit: I noticed that, sadly, this mod has a hard dependency on default, because it uses default_dirt.png as image for its particles. This dependency is completely unjustified if you ask me. The quick and lazy solution would be to provide your own particle image with the mod and use this instead. The sophisticated solution would be to use the top texture image of the node the player runs on. It is probably possible, but tricky, as one must account for all the possible node types, drawtypes etc. and find a solution which works on every node where creating a particle makes sense (i.e. walkable ones). Also, animated textures are probably tricky, too.

Also, I would recommend renaming “stamina.png” to something like “sprint_stamina_icon.png”, so it includes the prefix “sprint_”. It is a general recommendation to always name the textures under the scheme “<modname>_texturename.png” to prevent possible name clashes.

guideahon

In-game: guideahon

by guideahon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:23

Hi wuzzy, i made something like that but it doesn't work well with pep, maybe you can fix that.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 16:33

I was not talking about Pep and Player Effects, those are different things.
I was talking about the HUD bar.

I can't see where in your mod you have made something “like that”, all I see is the standard symbol-based statbar. My HUD bars are a bit different than that. Whatever, it is still not finished yet anyways, let's forget it for now.

The incompability with Pep and Player Effects is not unexpected to me, because your mod overrides the player speed, and Pep does as well, independently. Making your mod compatible to Player Effects is not a solution (yet?!), because the running has no fixed duration, but Player Effects expects that.
Multiple mods overwriting the player physics are still a general unsolved problem in mods, as far I know.

I am also not sure if I could modify Player Effects to add an timeless effect, so it could be added and removed at will. Also, Player Effects still does not support additive effects, but this would also be a requirement.
Sorry, but all of this is not solved yet.

guideahon

In-game: guideahon

by guideahon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 19:15

Wuzzy wrote:I was not talking about Pep and Player Effects, those are different things.
I was talking about the HUD bar.

--I was talking about the sprint mod with hud bars, i used it but it wasnt compatible with pep so i removed it from my modpack

I can't see where in your mod you have made something “like that”, all I see is the standard symbol-based statbar. My HUD bars are a bit different than that. Whatever, it is still not finished yet anyways, let's forget it for now.

--I was hoping you could make the mod compatible with pep

The incompability with Pep and Player Effects is not unexpected to me, because your mod overrides the player speed, and Pep does as well, independently. Making your mod compatible to Player Effects is not a solution (yet?!), because the running has no fixed duration, but Player Effects expects that.
Multiple mods overwriting the player physics are still a general unsolved problem in mods, as far I know.

I am also not sure if I could modify Player Effects to add an timeless effect, so it could be added and removed at will. Also, Player Effects still does not support additive effects, but this would also be a requirement.
Sorry, but all of this is not solved yet.

--I wanted an intelligent mod, if potion is active (runningx2) then, run = inactive (runningx1.4)

--I hope to have your sprint mod with hudbars soon!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 21:48

I have created a pull request adding optional compability to the HUD bars mod version 1.0.0 (and any future version with major version number 1):
https://github.com/GunshipPenguin/sprint/pull/2

This adds a new optional dependency to you mod, namely, HUD bars with major version 1 (the version is important, please mention it in the first post if you decide to merge).

I have noticed a few issues with the Sprint mod (unrelated to the PR):
  • The stamina is not reset after you respawn, it just keeps the value on death on respawn
  • The stamina is reset to SPRINT_STAMINA when you simply re-join the server

Hamguy

by Hamguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 08:23

Double tap is stupid, and pressing e is stupid

[ Left Shift ] would make more sense.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases