[Mod] Immersive Sounds [.36] [ambience]

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 01:08

Hey Pilz,

I'm getting better response by changing "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.5" to "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.0". The splash happens sooner and I think a person is counted as underwater when they are standing in 2 blocks of water. Do you see any problems with going to the 1.0? I tried .5 and that was bad. My legs were in the water and my body was out but I heard bubbles.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20

Neuromancer wrote:Hey Pilz,

I'm getting better response by changing "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.5" to "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.0". The splash happens sooner and I think a person is counted as underwater when they are standing in 2 blocks of water. Do you see any problems with going to the 1.0? I tried .5 and that was bad. My legs were in the water and my body was out but I heard bubbles.

I will make it in a different way (without on_start).
EDIT: Added: https://github.com/PilzAdam/MinetestAmbience
Last edited by PilzAdam on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29

Argh, the ideas just keep coming:

-To tell you are in the ocean for dolphins, if you are underwater, just check x+20, x-20, z+20, z-20 for water. If there is water in 3 out of 4 of these positions, then you are in the ocean. (already have sounds)

-To tell if you are on a hill for howling wind, check for y> 25 and x+5 for air at the following coords y - 2, y -7, y -12, y -17
Then do the same for, x-5, z+5, z-5. If any of these is true for all y, then you are on a hill. (already have sound)

-To tell if you are in the desert, check to see if you are standing on desert sand or desert rock.

-waterfalls & fountains need to look for a watersource & falling water, but I don't know how to detect this.

Pilz, this is more than I will be able to get to all at once. I know you are working on a lot of mods, but if any of these strike you as something you want to try, let me know so I we don't work on the same thing at the same time.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:03

PilzAdam wrote:I will make it in a different way (without on_start).

When I stand in one block deep of water without moving, I hear the splash over and over again. However this might be useful for the sloshing water I was talking about when treading water. We need a loud splash 1 time when entering the water, and a gentle slosh when in the water with the top half of you out of the water.

Also you got rid of the quieter frequent birds. Did you not like them? I kind of liked hearing the loud blue jay call and to the quieter one, like they were having a conversation.

EDIT: I found a really good gentle slosh sound for when standing in or treading water. I will upload soon.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15

Neuromancer wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:I will make it in a different way (without on_start).

When I stand in one block deep of water without moving, I hear the splash over and over again. However this might be useful for the sloshing water I was talking about when treading water. We need a loud splash 1 time when entering the water, and a gentle slosh when in the water with the top half of you out of the water.

Also you got rid of the quieter frequent birds. Did you not like them? I kind of liked hearing the loud blue jay call and to the quieter one, like they were having a conversation.

I didnt got rid of them i dont added them in the past.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 13:03

PilzAdam wrote:I didnt got rid of them i dont added them in the past.

Are you open to adding the code to make the frequent day to be more distant sounds? It made the bird singing a lot less obnoxious. More of just a quiet background noise.

I added to github:
--Lake_Waves_2* for treading water or standing in water.
--water_swimming_splashing*, for swimming through water
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 13:06

Neuromancer wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:I didnt got rid of them i dont added them in the past.

Are you open to adding the code to make the frequent day to be more distant sounds? It made the bird singing a lot less obnoxios. More of just a quiet background noise.

I added to github:
--Lake_Waves_2* for treading water or standing in water.
--water_swimming_splashing*, for swimming through water

I will add this (all) but i think not today.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 13:13

PilzAdam wrote:I will add this (all) but i think not today.

--------------------------------------------
Sounds good.
EDIT:
I was going to add a random factor to how quiet they got.
-add random_volume parameter to night normal, day normal, & cave normal sounds to create feeling of distance. by multiplying by a random .01 to .4. (It would actually vary depending on the environment.)

PewDiePie

by PewDiePie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 18:53

it doesnt make sounds for me. please help
_Pewdy_
There's A Reason Your Heart Is On The Left Side Because Its not Always Right.
-Wiz Khalifa

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 19:28

Hmm, to help you we're going to need more information from you. What version was it that you installed? You hear all the other sounds in minetest? What were the exact steps you did to install? What operating system are you running on? Sorry for the 20 questions.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Thu Aug 23, 2012 22:16

*Waits for email*

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

PewDiePie

by PewDiePie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 23:27

i currently use minetest 0.4.2. i have a windows 7,i download the newest version with all the sounds and i drag it into my mod folder and when i enter the game i hear nothing not even my foot steps when i like walk on sand or dirt. i cant hear anything when i mine stone. nothing. im wondering maybe i did some thing wrong.
_Pewdy_
-Wiz Khalifa

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Fri Aug 24, 2012 02:06

0.4.2rc is missing the libraries needed for OpenAL to work properly. It says so in the release notes. That's why it's an RC, not a stable release.

However, you can still get sound by installing OpenAL globally on your system.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25

PewDiePie wrote:i currently use minetest 0.4.2. i have a windows 7,i download the newest version with all the sounds and i drag it into my mod folder and when i enter the game i hear nothing not even my foot steps when i like walk on sand or dirt. i cant hear anything when i mine stone. nothing. im wondering maybe i did some thing wrong.
_Pewdy_

Unzip the mod archive.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:25

Temperest wrote:.4.2rc is missing the libraries needed for OpenAL to work properly. It says so in the release notes. That's why it's an RC, not a stable release.

However, you can still get sound by installing OpenAL globally on your system.

Right. Pewdy, I have always had to intall OpenAL on my machines to get sounds in minetest for Windows. You can get it here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx
-on that web page click on oalinst which will download this
-open the .zip file
-double click oalinst.exe and it will install the general sounds.
-then like Pilz said, you need to unzip the mod as well ambience.zip into your mods\minetest folder. You should wind up with a folder called ambience in your \mods\minetest folder
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:48

Takes ages to load :D

But worth it...

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:50

@Pilz,

Just wanted to go over the other things I added to see if you see any merit to them.
One thing I did was change your 100 to 1000 for the upper limit of the random function. The reason I did this was the music. It plays a little too much for my taste (we only have a few songs) when in single user mode and so I didn't think I could set it's frequency to a decimal like .7. Also in multiplayer it plays much more frequently than in single and so really needed to bump it lower. I know 100 gives nice round percentages, but can you go below a 1 for music?

I also moved all the parameters to variables that could be configured in the top of the init.lua. I did this because sometimes our releases are screwed up on the frequencies of things (which is easy to do), and it gave other users and us a way to easily fix a release without us having to re-release everything. Also I was hoping that others might find configurations that sound much better than ours and that we could learn from them if we made it easy to share without uploading the entire init.lua. You cannot imagine how much time I spend fine tuning each configuration every time there is an engine change. However no one has taken advantage of this so far, and maybe no one will.

Do you see any value in either of these changes I made?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:52

rubenwardy wrote:Takes ages to load :D

But worth it...

It's the songs. I'm almost positive Minetest loaded quicker without them. What's your opinion, are the songs worth the extra load time? The other files are much smaller. Just move out of the sounds folder any sounds/songs .ogg files that you don't like, and I think the effect is that they just won't play.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Aug 24, 2012 14:48

Neuromancer wrote:@Pilz,

Just wanted to go over the other things I added to see if you see any merit to them.
One thing I did was change your 100 to 1000 for the upper limit of the random function. The reason I did this was the music. It plays a little too much for my taste (we only have a few songs) when in single user mode and so I didn't think I could set it's frequency to a decimal like .7. Also in multiplayer it plays much more frequently than in single and so really needed to bump it lower. I know 100 gives nice round percentages, but can you go below a 1 for music?

I also moved all the parameters to variables that could be configured in the top of the init.lua. I did this because sometimes our releases are screwed up on the frequencies of things (which is easy to do), and it gave other users and us a way to easily fix a release without us having to re-release everything. Also I was hoping that others might find configurations that sound much better than ours and that we could learn from them if we made it easy to share without uploading the entire init.lua. You cannot imagine how much time I spend fine tuning each configuration every time there is an engine change. However no one has taken advantage of this so far, and maybe no one will.

Do you see any value in either of these changes I made?

Im happy that I have you for the fine tuning. I made the core code of the mod but all the other things that make the mod so awesome (new sound files, fine tuning) came from you. The code works pretty well for now, so I will let you your freedom to customize your mod to your wishes.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 15:22

PilzAdam wrote:Im happy that I have you for the fine tuning. I made the core code of the mod but all the other things that make the mod so awesome (new sound files, fine tuning) came from you. The code works pretty well for now, so I will let you your freedom to customize your mod to your wishes.

I have always saw this mod as our mod, yours and mine, and also Jordach's as well (and anyone else who want's to contribute for that matter). But mostly yours and mine. And so that's why I give you these long rationales for my changes (the ones you don't pull into your code), because I'm just trying to find a consensus between us. If you make the case that my changes don't have merit, I'm open to leaving them out. For example putting the config at the top has it's pluses and minuses. I just want to know your thinking on these matters because I value it.

It is hard to collaborate, because creative people are always going to have different visions on where to take a project or even how to implement it. But I think we work well as a team. So I'm wondering, are you saying you are done coding this mod, or you are just going along with these changes and will continue contributing?

I liked that you were changing the splash out of the on_start method that I used to implement it because your splash does happen way sooner. And well I still haven't figured out how to tell if someone is swimming (moving through water on the surface) and so I need you to help me figure stuff like that out, and to make the code organized better and implementing things in the best way. Working with you on my first Mod has taught me a lot about how to write the code, but now I'm kind of getting into your domain where I used to focus on the sounds, the tuning and the testing.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 15:38

Neuromancer wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:Takes ages to load :D

But worth it...

It's the songs. I'm almost positive Minetest loaded quicker without them. What's your opinion, are the songs worth the extra load time? The other files are much smaller. Just move out of the sounds folder any sounds/songs .ogg files that you don't like, and I think the effect is that they just won't play.

Songs are nice, :)

PewDiePie

by PewDiePie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 15:47

when i click on it a agreement window pops up and i press ok and another thing pops up saying installation incomplete.
-Wiz Khalifa

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Fri Aug 24, 2012 15:50

That means your installation is incomplete.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 16:27

PewDiePie wrote:when i click on it a agreement window pops up and i press ok and another thing pops up saying installation incomplete.

Hmmm... I installed this on 3 different windows machines and never got this error message.

-try the mod it anyway, if it works it works.
If not,
-did you unzip the oalinst.zip file first?
-can you temporarily disable any anti-virus software you're running?

Do these 2 and re-try.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 17:34

Neuromancer wrote:
PewDiePie wrote:when i click on it a agreement window pops up and i press ok and another thing pops up saying installation incomplete.

Hmmm... I installed this on 3 different windows machines and never got this error message.

-try the mod it anyway, if it works it works.
If not,
-did you unzip the oalinst.zip file first?
-can you temporarily disable any anti-virus software you're running?

Do these 2 and re-try.

OpenAL Installs instantly, it is ok
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Aug 24, 2012 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 02:37

@pilz, check this one out. Do you think it goes with Minetest?

http://soundcloud.com/xi-intersection/mass-effect-uncharted-worlds

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 08:42

Neuromancer wrote:@pilz, check this one out. Do you think it goes with Minetest?

imho cool one

Qaddosh

by Qaddosh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 09:33

This mod is superb. I have been using it for a little while now. I turned the music play frequency up and the music volume up, because that's how I roll.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40

Neuromancer wrote:@pilz, check this one out. Do you think it goes with Minetest?

Yes.

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08

Great mod, but some sounds annoyed my friends when we played on multiplayer (this loud bird at day and bats in cave). But the songs played with ZynAddSubFX... Ahhhh, I love them, especially that I create things on Zyn too :).
Last edited by Phitherek_ on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases