[Mod] Throwing enhanced [maint.] [throwing]

Echoes91

In-game: Echoes

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.8] [throw

by Echoes91 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 14:28

Excalibur Zero wrote:I found an issue with the crafting recipe for Torch Arrows and made an issue reporting it on GitLab (https://gitlab.com/echoes91/throwing/issues/1), as well as a merge request that fixes the issue (https://gitlab.com/echoes91/throwing/merge_requests/1).

Thanks! Fixed with group:coal as it was intended, so that equivalents can be used too without creating new recipes.
"It wasn't easy to break so many functions by editing a single line"

davidthecreator

In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Mon Mar 16, 2015 18:57

Does simple mobs mobs drop they stuff when they get killed with any arrow that can kill in this mod because mobs at regular throwing mod didn't drop what they were suppost to they didn't drop anything at all so I hope its fixed at this mod

mtmodder148

GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 19:14

@davidthecreator, It works with the mobs redo mod.

lightonflux

In-game: lof

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.6] [throw

by lightonflux » Tue Mar 17, 2015 00:38

Echoes91 wrote:Updated to 0.9.6
Now everything can be easily disabled from config.lua, which won't be overwritten, see the example.

It wont get overwritten, but the git repo is still marked as dirty. Can you do it like shooter and many other FOSS applications managed in git repos?

Shooter ships shooter.conf.example which is documentation and a template. Then the user creates his/her file in shooter.conf which is listed in .gitignore so git ignores it and the repo is clean.
Last edited by lightonflux on Tue Mar 17, 2015 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

lightonflux

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.5] [throw

by lightonflux » Tue Mar 17, 2015 01:10

Echoes91 wrote:Updated to 0.9.5 See changelog
I tried again your same sequence so many time without success, however you've got the old bow texture so it must not be the last release. TNT code used to remove nodes and deal damage but since 0.9.2 it digs nodes instead of removing. Maybe under very unlikely circumstances it "removed" your avatar, but i don't know how engine work for those cases...

At the time i had the newest version. Maybe you had the new textures at your local git but not yet at github?

Anyway i tested it with the newest version (also new textures) [commit: 79a546378e24bf958b0eb36fd772cd85a4efe3d4] and it still works. I also deactivated ALL mods but yours just to be extra sure, but still. And also in a new world, but still. :(

Here is my minetest.conf.

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Tue Mar 17, 2015 01:41

Did some more testing and recompiled minetest. And now you die properly. So still get tnt damage and die, but the respawn works again and therefore the mod. Will file a bug report for MT. Throwing is not the cause and works fine!

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.0rc1] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:01

Updated to 1.0rc1 This is a feature freeze, see changelog

The pool results are quite clear and I'm very happy that we mostly agree on that. The first stable bow set has come, and this is very likely going to stay. No more bows, arrows and other features will be added until we're sure that everything released up to now work as intended. Only bug fixes will be released up to 1.0.
Now the best thing to do is to test, in every possible situation, and keep on reporting any issue as you've kindly done up to now. I know that many features are few days old and probably unripe but it would be really helpful if somebody could run a server with this mod. The stiffness and reload time assignation in multilayer is wrote from scratch and a bit complex, I find it hard to predict how all variables will behave with frequent multiple triggering.
Next goal is to release 1.0 which will be declared stable and ready for "production", both for local and multiplayer; server maintainers must be able to substitute the original throwing mod with this one with no worries. This will likely happen by the end of March, with no rush, then I'll be glad to come back adding new exciting features.
Thanks for your help and interest, have fun!

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 14:16

Changelog went into README to avoid an insanely long and unreadable first post. Cleaned away also some dirty almost-transparent pixels into bows textures. I hope that code is working and enjoyable for all of you, please keep on reporting any issue, strange behavior or anything you don't like!

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:08

There's a known bug causing crash if server is shut down while an arrow is flying and then the arrow reaches anything after server restart. Unfortunately I'm unable neither toremove the arrows at shutdown nor to retain their data fields like acceleration and break chance across reboots. I'll need either one of those issues resolved or someone else to give a different suggestion.

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.0rc2] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:02

Updated to 1.0rc2

Temporary fixed the "compare nil with number" bug with a workaround, at least it should not crash anymore with offensive arrows. However I'm still not happy for those values not being retained.

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.0] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 15:03

Updated to 1.0 Fireworks!

This is the first stable release, everything it's meant to stay and not to change unless any bug comes out, after some days of testing anyway it looked quite stable and never crashed.
To celebrate I released also the fireworks arrow, which are almost exclusively a cosmetic feature but still quite cool :)

The old reload system based on privileges had so many drawbacks that i chose to go directly for the new one. Mechanics are changed, please read instructions on the first post; it may be slightly less intuitive but I think it's overall much nicer. Build arrow's behavior has been changed a bit too.

I hope you'll enjoy all of this, feel free to add any suggestion and report any issue.
Next release with the scary crossbows will come as soon as I finish to balance them.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.0] [throwing]

by Don » Fri Mar 27, 2015 15:50

Great work. This is awesome. Thanks
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.1] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 18:30

Updated to 1.1

The first crossbow has come, enjoy its power but read instructions carefully, don't be fooled by its drawbacks!
It would render much better if "3D textures" could be horizontal, but i found no function for this. More scary weapons will come soon.
Offensive arrows now go across grass, flowers and farming members, happy ambushing! They're still stopped by trees, leaves and other plants.
It's now much easier to add bows, crossbows and standard arrows thanks to the functions into tools.lua and standard_arrows.lua, thus throwing can be quickly extended to support other mods/materials; however the vanilla release will always depend only on minetest_game's mods.

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.1] [throwing]

by Minetestforfun » Wed Apr 01, 2015 23:34

Hi, great update, your work is pretty good !

Im afraid about the dig arrows : This arrow can dig into areas (building protection mod for players) and into unbreakable blocks (maptools unbreakable nodes / bedrocks / etc...)

EDIT : after tests, the same thing for the fireworks arrow wich "dig" a node when they hit a node

and maybe a bit with fire arrow : can we desactivate this arrow with the config file ? Because many servers have fire desactivated... and i can see "fire" in dependencies. Also, the fire arrow is a very good idea, does it deal more damage compared to wooden arrow ?

EDIT : when you push very fast left click - with any bow/crossbow - of your mouse, you can shot with one load, 5 to 20 arrows very fast, is it a bug ? And if you shot one more times a teleport arrow when the first teleport arrow haven't reach a node, the game crashed.

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.1.2] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:13

Updated to 1.1.2
Fixed fireworks, not removing blocks any more, and multiple reloadings issue.
Updated dependencies, now some are optional as only few arrows depend on them.

EVERY tool and arrow can be already disabled by writing DISABLE_*** into throwing.conf, see the example. As personal taste, I'd keep only offensive arrows, torches and fireworks.
By the way fire arrows on direct hit deal a fixed damage which doesn't depend on speed, anyway they're not exactly meant to be used that way... and there are not pure wooden arrows by now.

Im afraid about the dig arrows : This arrow can dig into areas (building protection mod for players) and into unbreakable blocks

They call "minetest.dig_node", whether it checked for protections or not it's either an engine or a protection mod issue. If It's a problem, write DISABLE_DIG_ARROW = true :)

And if you shot one more times a teleport arrow when the first teleport arrow haven't reach a node, the game crashed.

I've not been able to reproduce this, even having more than one teleport arrow flying: I simply get teleported two times.
The rest should be fixed now.

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Sat Apr 04, 2015 17:58

Thank you for your reactivity, i will re-try your mod soon ! :D

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Sat Apr 11, 2015 16:56

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Fri May 15, 2015 08:49

Please, somenone can give us a return experience of this mod in a minetest server 0.4.12 stable ?
Is this mod stable ? functionnal ? ready to introduce it on server with 10+ players without lags ?

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.2] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 16:14

Updated to 1.2

A scary arbalest is waiting for the medieval warriors around, even the Stone Monster's rock isn't hard enough any more.
A default.lua has been added to initialize all variables and disable some content according to what looked more controversial from my impression and your suggestions, do not edit directly since it will be overwritten. Use your throwing.conf to enable or disable anything you like.

Minetestforfun wrote:Please, somenone can give us a return experience of this mod in a minetest server 0.4.12 stable ?
Is this mod stable ? functionnal ? ready to introduce it on server with 10+ players without lags ?

Unluckly all I could test has been hosting a server from my home on my laptop to play with my girlfriend, I can say that it looked quite stable but there were not enough action nor NPCs to stress my PC's resources.
Server admins probably are more concerned about not loosing players due to instability but when one of them will be brave enough to test this mod we will know the answer.

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 20:01

Great work !
So, maybe i will be the first to introduce your mod, but tweaked a little (new bows/arrows with condition for the "hunter" class in MinetestForFun server)
I will try to remember to post it here if i commit a change with your mod :)

Tom

IRC: Tom-s

by Tom » Sat Jun 27, 2015 13:27

This mod is a masterpiece. But to download it I had to had .git at the end of this line:

Echoes91 wrote:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
git clone https://gitlab.com/echoes91/throwing

dannyplaysminetest

In-game: Danny

by dannyplaysminetest » Mon Jun 29, 2015 19:27

i downloaded the most recent ZIP file, works great, the Red and Blue Fireworks are most fun when you shoot them straight up in the sky they should make all sound effects, when i shoot them towards a mob you dont hear the sound effect before the explosion, in other words : the bow does make the Shooting arrow sound effect but for some reason i don´t hear the arrow in flight, but when i shoot straight up it works just fine, sorry for my bad english lol Anyhow Thanks for the Mod it´s cool and i love it! ^_^ (i have minimal view distance at least 500m when playing with any fireworks in minetest.. one can change this with + and - button on right side of keyboard)

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Tue Jun 30, 2015 18:47

Hi,

Can you re-do the textures for bows and arrows in 32px please ? (or maybe someone can post his 32px textures for bows and arrows ?)

create beautiful 32px textures for this mod is too difficult for me :/

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Tue Jul 21, 2015 20:09

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Thu Jul 23, 2015 21:26

Many other bugfixs in our repository if you're interrested... https://github.com/Ombridride/minetest- ... 8087352a21 (one of some others...)

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 21:50

Thanks everybody for the interest. Unluckly I had no time to work on this mod anymore, hopefully I'll be able to put together another release during holidays. However,
Tom wrote:This mod is a masterpiece. But to download it I had to had .git at the end of this line:

Echoes91 wrote:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
git clone https://gitlab.com/echoes91/throwing

I had no problem with the git command using its last release under Arch Linux (which is the only environment I'm able to support).
I neither have been able to reproduce the other issues listed, and
Minetestforfun wrote:If you are interrested : https://github.com/Ombridride/minetest- ... 7a2d095ab6
seems to change the behavior of breaking arrows which I feel necessary for balancing.
About the 32px textures it would not be that hard, i chose 16px simply to keep consistency with the rest of the game but it would be quite easy. Try to begin resizing the textures with GIMP without any interpolation nor transparency, then adapt single pixels with pencil. I may convert the whole set by the next release but, again, I'have little free time and I'm not sure it's worth it...

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28

16px aren't suffisant in my point of view, the 32px fit better with a voxelgame environnment, it's more beautiful...
Im working on transform every textures on my server in 32px, that's why I asked for 32px bows

For the bows, re-size 16px to 32px isn't suffisant, it's not beautiful because of a evident lack of details we can do in 32px

Thank you for your answer, happy to see you here for your throwing mod sometimes :)

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.3] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 14:20

Updated to 1.3

The last, most powerful (and totally fictional) of my original list for bows and crossbows has been added, I had very little time to test so let's try and see if it will have to be nerfed.
I updated also the old arbalest textures which didn't look at all like steel, added the .git to the command so that it should work for everybody, and few other details.

Samson1

IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:08

could some one please make a mod to match Minecraft's Bow and Arrow??
MT name: Samson1

MC name: MoJo4000

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 02:08

What do you want to match?

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases