[Mod] Throwing enhanced [maint.] [throwing]

Echoes91

In-game: Echoes

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.4] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 17:49

Updated to 1.4

Say welcome to the spears! They bring new possibilities to the gameplay by mixing ranged and melee effects. They're also another step for me into understanding how to code throws that move from the bow-arrow scheme, so you can expect more kinds of flying objects for the next releases :)
There's an issue about them magically repairing after being thrown since they do not retain the wear due to melee use, however it's someway balanced by their chance to break.
Arrows textures have also been improved a bit.
Samson1 wrote:could some one please make a mod to match Minecraft's Bow and Arrow??

Not me :) I'm quite sure that this mod is far more complete than Minecraft's content, however if there is any feature you may like then just ask!
"It wasn't easy to break so many functions by editing a single line"

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.4] [throwing]

by benrob0329 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 02:31

Could you incorperate the arrow sticking and pointing code from basic_bow?

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [1.4.1] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 15:53

Updated to 1.4.1

Spears now retain wearing and have no more a random chance to break. This would be nice for arrows too but it's unlikely due to them being (obviously) stackable.
Many textures have been improved and torch arrows now emit light while flying too (like fireworks).
benrob0329 wrote:Could you incorperate the arrow sticking and pointing code from basic_bow?

I had a look, it seems nice but implies some problems. Arrows are mainly meant to hit mobs, not blocks, and I don't like them passing through mobs like basic bow's ones and neither would be nice for them to remain stuck in the air after hit. I'm not sure if I'll find a coherent behavior that can be implemented.

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Mon Sep 14, 2015 22:09

Echoes91 wrote:
benrob0329 wrote:Could you incorperate the arrow sticking and pointing code from basic_bow?

I had a look, it seems nice but implies some problems. Arrows are mainly meant to hit mobs, not blocks, and I don't like them passing through mobs like basic bow's ones and neither would be nice for them to remain stuck in the air after hit. I'm not sure if I'll find a coherent behavior that can be implemented.

I have had no problems with striking mobs;
I also havent seen any arrows sitting in the air after striking a mob,
Unlike the original crossbow, I have the life span of arrows pretty short once they land some where.

just make sure the mobs mod you are using is in the list (basic_bow_entities line 21+)
you also have to target the entities' collision boxes for the arrows to "hit"
Its weird but the cow is the hardest mob for me to kill from a distance because of this.

What I worry about is basic_bow's effectiveness vs. other players.
This is something I just havent had the means to test out.

It was and still is my intent that the basic_bow is really meant for hunting and archery competitions.
For pvp warfare and just plain adventuring; throwing / throwing enhanced are the way to go.

I would like to see the spear behave like basic_bow and stick into nodes...that would be awesome :)

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 09:29

I have had no problems with striking mobs;
I also havent seen any arrows sitting in the air after striking a mob,
Unlike the original crossbow, I have the life span of arrows pretty short once they land some where.

just make sure the mobs mod you are using is in the list (basic_bow_entities line 21+)
you also have to target the entities' collision boxes for the arrows to "hit"
Its weird but the cow is the hardest mob for me to kill from a distance because of this.

Indeed they travel through mobs and stick into the first block they meet. I want them to stop after hitting, but they would stick in the air if they believed to have hit a block. The best way would be to add them as a drop from the mob, but doesn't look actually possible.

What I worry about is basic_bow's effectiveness vs. other players.
This is something I just havent had the means to test out.

It was and still is my intent that the basic_bow is really meant for hunting and archery competitions.
For pvp warfare and just plain adventuring; throwing / throwing enhanced are the way to go.

That's not possible form me to test too, as stated in the first post. However the reloading system prevents firing huge salvos like a machine gun shooting arrows, which would kill anything and anybody quicker than any sword.

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Wed Sep 16, 2015 21:58

Apologies, I misunderstood what you meant.
I never realized they continued on and passed
thru the entities after destroying them.

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 15:03

Is this mod stable? I used PilzAdam's throwing mod and whenever I tried to shoot the arrow the game would crash (4.12/4.13). Does this mod have the same problem?
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 17:37

swordpaint12 wrote:Is this mod stable? I used PilzAdam's throwing mod and whenever I tried to shoot the arrow the game would crash (4.12/4.13). Does this mod have the same problem?

It works nicely, at least for me :)
Of course you better try yourself to be sure!
PilzAdam's throwing looked quite abandoned when I forked this one, I'm still doing the best that I can to enhance and support it through the latest game releases.
Napiophelios wrote:It was and still is my intent that the basic_bow is really meant for hunting and archery competitions.

By the way, I noticed that your arrows, other than looking much better than these ones, also fly with the right pitch to follow the trajectory. That's really pleasant to see, whatever is the target. I hope some day to see the best features of our mods merged together; that would be awesome, if only I had the time and skill to understand how...

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 18:14

Okay, sweet. Thanks!
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Thu Sep 24, 2015 00:04

Echoes91 wrote:By the way, I noticed that your arrows, other than looking much better than these ones, also fly with the right pitch to follow the trajectory. That's really pleasant to see, whatever is the target.

Thats all Stu's awesome coding, All kudos go to him.

I just seperated it / condensed it into a single file
and dressed it up like a bow. :)

Echoes91 wrote:I hope some day to see the best features of our mods merged together; that would be awesome, if only I had the time and skill to understand how...

I used an older simpler version of the crossbow code,
Stu has added arrows of all colors to the latest version;
So I am sure its possible to add all the variants of Throwing_enhanced's arrows to basic_bow
but I dont think its very fitting for most of the special arrows IMO.

I honestly have the most fun just using basic_bow for target practice,
its simple and that appeals to me.

I have been working on the spear mod though that sticks into nodes;
Just need a few more tweaks and I think I will have a working prototype soon :)

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Thu Sep 24, 2015 00:17

When you get the spear made I might make a target practice game for my board games mod pack if you don't mind.
I think people will like that.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:10

Don wrote:When you get the spear made I might make a target practice game for my board games mod pack if you don't mind.

ooh you could make a dart board
that would be cool

Don

by Don » Thu Sep 24, 2015 13:10

Napiophelios wrote:
Don wrote:When you get the spear made I might make a target practice game for my board games mod pack if you don't mind.

ooh you could make a dart board
that would be cool

That would be cool. Feel free to make a game and I will add it to the modpack.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:27

Since I'm not really satisfied of how it looks overall, mainly the bow reload process and crossbow wielding due to API limitations, I'll stop adding features directly to this mod by now. I'll still try to maintain it through new Minetest releases if some adaptation is needed but in the meantime I'm starting to put together new mods merging the features i like the most from this one and other ideas around.
I'm still not sure but it will probably end having separate mods for spears and fireworks.
Thanks for all your appreciation, proposals and feedback. I hope to make good use of what I've learned during this months :)

Don

by Don » Sat Oct 03, 2015 13:45

Looking forward to seeing new mods. Keep up the great work!

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 20:01

Please note that spears are being developed further and published in their new topic. Fixes and improvements will not be ported here any longer.

Diamond knight

In-game: Diamondknight or diamond_knight

by Diamond knight » Tue Oct 20, 2015 14:46

Idea:maybe add a very endgame arrow machine gun that fires salvos of arrows like classic throwing, but the arrows shot from it almost always break, even diamond arrows, and to power it you need to craft it and a mese crystal for every say, 50 arrows shot (or charged batteries if technic enabled) (the recharging is to make it less op)
I can never get enough MESE!!!!!!!!!

my subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11901

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [maint.] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 14:37

Throwing enhanced is now in maintenance status. No more new features will be directly added here, but its components will be gradually separated and developed further. The original mod will eventually be turned into a modpack once everything will be working good as standalone mods.

Spears have been removed to avoid any conflict with my new Spears mod.

Don

by Don » Sun Oct 25, 2015 14:40

A modpack would be good.

SaKeL

GitHub: JurajVajda
IRC: SaKeL
In-game: SaKeL

by SaKeL » Wed Dec 09, 2015 00:08

Hi, i am testing this mode with basic arrows on my PvP server (SaKeL Test) but it seems to not doing any damage to the players. Is there any setting for this ? Thanks.
Follow my Collection for more Minetest creations found on my server or join the Community for the latest Server updates and news.

SaKeL

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Wed Dec 09, 2015 20:01

i have added this to the standard_arrows and it works perfectly ! woohhooo cant wait to kill someone :D
Would be maybe nice to add it to the global setting and set also different arrow damage per bow.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
local ARROW_DAMAGE = 1

for k, obj in pairs(objs) do
   -- begin player damage
   if obj:is_player() then
      obj:set_hp(obj:get_hp()-ARROW_DAMAGE)
      self.object:remove()
   end
   -- end player damage

if obj:get_luaentity() ~= nil then

Follow my Collection for more Minetest creations found on my server or join the Community for the latest Server updates and news.

SaKeL

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:21

SaKeL wrote:Hi, i am testing this mode with basic arrows on my PvP server (SaKeL Test) but it seems to not doing any damage to the players. Is there any setting for this ? Thanks.

As stated at the introduction, this mod is NOT tested for PvP but only balanced against Mobs Redo's creatures, i had no idea about what those arrows would do against a player.
SaKeL wrote:i have added this to the standard_arrows and it works perfectly ! woohhooo cant wait to kill someone :D
Would be maybe nice to add it to the global setting and set also different arrow damage per bow.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
local ARROW_DAMAGE = 1

for k, obj in pairs(objs) do
   -- begin player damage
   if obj:is_player() then
      obj:set_hp(obj:get_hp()-ARROW_DAMAGE)
      self.object:remove()
   end
   -- end player damage

if obj:get_luaentity() ~= nil then

The damage dealt by arrows to entities already depends on their speed and material, so it depends also on the weapon's stiffness since it determines the arrow's starting speed. You could have added the "is_player" flag to my code instead of setting a constant damage that overrides it and adding a new cycle.

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:32

Hi,

If you want to use this mod with PvP feel free to use our forked version, it includes :
    Many bugfixs
    Many crashfixs
    Arrow trajectory corrections
    Adapted for PVP
    32px textures
    arrow aren't blocked by some biomes nodes (like grass for example)
    etc...

You can download it here : https://github.com/MinetestForFun/serve ... s/throwing

(@echoes91 : for the moment the initial version of this mod can't hit players because of the "gauges:hp_bar" => https://github.com/MinetestForFun/serve ... ns.lua#L27)

(PS : This forked version was improved by the MinetestForFun devs team including mainly @crabman but also @LeMagnesium and @gravgun)
Last edited by Minetestforfun on Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:38, edited 2 times in total.

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:34

great thanks a lot !

SaKeL

burli

by burli » Thu Mar 10, 2016 18:25

Got an error message

2016-03-10 19:18:54: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer uses throwing:bow_royal_loaded, pointing at [nothing]
2016-03-10 19:18:54: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer uses throwing:bow_royal_loaded, pointing at [node under=4,3,135 above=4,3,136]
2016-03-10 19:18:54: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "" not defined
2016-03-10 19:18:54: ERROR[main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'throwing' in callback item_OnUse(): /home/markus/.minetest/mods/throwing/functions.lua:34: attempt to index a nil value
2016-03-10 19:18:54: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-10 19:18:54: ERROR[main]:    /home/markus/.minetest/mods/throwing/functions.lua:34: in function 'throwing_shoot_arrow'
2016-03-10 19:18:54: ERROR[main]:    /home/markus/.minetest/mods/throwing/functions.lua:106: in function </home/markus/.minetest/mods/throwing/functions.lua:100>
2016-03-10 19:18:54: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:

My first Minetest Crash

Previous

Return to Mod Releases