[Mod] Spears [1.0] [spears]

Echoes91

In-game: Echoes

[Mod] Spears [1.0] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 21:36

Spears
By Echoes

This mod adds spears to Minetest games. They are versatile weapons that can be used to attack like a normal sword, even if slower, or safely thrown to the bad ones from the distance.
These are the spears I introduced within throwing enhanced, now with improved code, and here is where I'll continue their development.
+ Screenshot

Get the latest release here
To install, unzip the archive into a folder named 'spears' inside your mod folder, or run
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
git clone https://gitlab.com/echoes91/spears.git
directly from your mod folder so that you can track changes by running
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
git pull
after any update.
Browse the code

Dependencies: default

License:
Code under LGPLv2.1
Textures and sounds under CC-BY 3.0

+ Instructions

+ Contents and recipes

Future goals are to make spear look better while being thrown and also stick into nodes.
Please read all information before trying them or posting issues, they'll save you some time.
Have fun!
Last edited by Echoes91 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:42, edited 7 times in total.
"It wasn't easy to break so many functions by editing a single line"

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Spears [alpha1] [spears]

by Don » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:53

+1
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [alpha2] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 20:03

Added screenshot and fixed a bug causing spears that hit a mob and a node at the same time to duplicate.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Tue Oct 13, 2015 20:09

Looks awesome. If you don't mind I am going to use this in my subgame.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 15:14

Don wrote:Looks awesome. If you don't mind I am going to use this in my subgame.

Have fun!

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Wed Oct 14, 2015 17:56

the mod looks interesting
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [alpha3] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 18:13

Fixed spears that used to self repair while being thrown after reaching maximum wear. Reorganized code files for better visualization.
DS-minetest wrote:the mod looks interesting

I hope so :)

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Fri Oct 16, 2015 21:00

Why did I not see this mod earlier?!
The throw function works fine but I would like to throw them using the LMB, like with snowballs and shuriken.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 09:42

Krock wrote:Why did I not see this mod earlier?!
The throw function works fine but I would like to throw them using the LMB, like with snowballs and shuriken.

Because it appeared few days ago :) they were introduced within my older mod but it was turning into a big mess.
Assigning a function to the LMB would remove the tool's capabilities (dig and melee attack), while at the RMB would work only if pointing at something (close enough to get a selected target). These are API limitations.

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Sat Oct 17, 2015 09:50

I made some 32px textures for this awhile back if you want to use them

spears_textures_32px.zip
License:WTFPL
(3.42 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

spearz32.png
spearz32.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Sat Oct 17, 2015 18:46

Napiophelios wrote:I made some 32px textures for this awhile back if you want to use them
spearz32.png

We also made our 32px textures https://github.com/MinetestForFun/serve ... s/textures
Feel free to re-used them.

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 18:57

Napiophelios wrote:I made some 32px textures for this awhile back if you want to use them

spears_textures_32px.zip

spearz32.png

Nice! I prefer to keep it as coherent as possible with default game, using 16x16 textures with similar look and feel, however of course everybody must feel free to replace them, you just have to give them the same names and put them into the texture folder.

Minetestforfun wrote:
spearz32.png

We also made our 32px textures https://github.com/MinetestForFun/serve ... s/textures
Feel free to re-used them.

OMG you have the earliest snapshot, where i didn't even finish to rewrite the README.txt XD. I'd really suggest you to upgrade to the latest release since there was quite some mess that has been fixed.

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Sun Oct 18, 2015 17:31

Echoes91 wrote:OMG you have the earliest snapshot, where i didn't even finish to rewrite the README.txt XD. I'd really suggest you to upgrade to the latest release since there was quite some mess that has been fixed.

Yes, as you can see here https://github.com/MinetestForFun/serve ... issues/304 we planned to update the mod but we haven't updated the mod for the moment.

My earlier post wasn't for your advice on our updates cycle, but was on the 32px textures we made/use and we want to share with you. ;)

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 03:38

I believe I use your throwing mod. Kind of a shame they aren't being developed together anymore, but kind of makes sense. +1
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:15

Minetestforfun wrote:My earlier post wasn't for your advice on our updates cycle, but was on the 32px textures we made/use and we want to share with you. ;)

Of course, but I felt quite guilty for having published such an unpolished snapshot so I'm hoping for any of its tracks to disappear as soon as possible...
swordpaint12 wrote:I believe I use your throwing mod. Kind of a shame they aren't being developed together anymore, but kind of makes sense. +1

Actually i split them because i noticed that developing one set of features (like spears) wasn't bringing improvements to the others anymore, but just increasing the mess. I thought that spears would have been similar to arrows but now they don't share a single function anymore.
Once all of its sets will be functional and polished as themselves, so that one can concentrate testing and development easily on one without breaking any other, throwing enhanced will probably survive as a modpack.

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:14

Yes. That makes lots of sense. Maybe eventually you'll upgrade it to a weapons modpack. I dunno. Best of luck!
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

npx

In-game: npx

by npx » Sun Oct 25, 2015 09:13

Amazing! I love your work!

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [1.0] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:32

Updated to 1.0
Since I've not been able to animate spear's flight any better through using API, this first stable version won't bring any drastic change.
However, apart of knowing that everything works good, this release brings a small buff to spears' speed and, consequently, damage at range, two new spears were added and inventory images now are oriented like all the other default's tools.
I've been testing for some hours now, also hosting (and playing) multiplayer, no issue have emerged so far.

Dalethejr

GitHub: Dalethejr
IRC: Dalethejr
In-game: Dalethejr

by Dalethejr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 21:06

Sorry for copying your mod dude, I hadn't seen this before... I'll put a link in my mod so ppl can come see this one

Dalethejr

by Dalethejr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 21:09

Also, would you like to combine our mods? https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14044

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 09:48

Dalethejr wrote:Sorry for copying your mod dude, I hadn't seen this before... I'll put a link in my mod so ppl can come see this one

Dalethejr wrote:Also, would you like to combine our mods? https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14044

If you had not seen this one you can't have copied it, so your work is totally yours. Spears are a really ancient weapon so nobody can't patent such an idea :)
I have not enough time to develop mods right now, however i released them as free software (see the licence) which means that anybody can look at the code, modify it and publish it again as long as is under the same licence (and possibly with some credits to the author).
If you would like to improve my work or merge some features into yours you're welcome, surely it's better to join forces instead of developing something redundant.
I see that your mod has more features other than spears and since mines are older (so probably more refined) you could create a modpack containing my repo cloned among with your new weapons.

Dalethejr

by Dalethejr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 15:43

Echoes91 wrote:
Dalethejr wrote:Sorry for copying your mod dude, I hadn't seen this before... I'll put a link in my mod so ppl can come see this one

Dalethejr wrote:Also, would you like to combine our mods? https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14044

If you had not seen this one you can't have copied it, so your work is totally yours. Spears are a really ancient weapon so nobody can't patent such an idea :)
I have not enough time to develop mods right now, however i released them as free software (see the licence) which means that anybody can look at the code, modify it and publish it again as long as is under the same licence (and possibly with some credits to the author).
If you would like to improve my work or merge some features into yours you're welcome, surely it's better to join forces instead of developing something redundant.
I see that your mod has more features other than spears and since mines are older (so probably more refined) you could create a modpack containing my repo cloned among with your new weapons.

Well, thanks dude, I'm kinda new to the forum and was just checking. Thanks.

Return to Mod Releases