GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

[Mod] Hard Trees [0.2] [hardtrees]

by octacian » Wed Jul 06, 2016 01:17

Hard Trees [hardtrees]

Version 0.2

License: MIT (see LICENSE.txt)

hardtrees is a mod with a very simple concept. Trees are made harder, meaning you cannot punch them with your fists. Instead, you must find rocks on cobble, stone, mossy cobble, or sandstone, and make the appropriate rock tool, in this case, an axe. However, to make an axe you must have sticks, for which there are two methods to optain. When leaves are broken then have a 1 out of 13 chance to drop not only the broken node, but also a stick. Once every day, sticks also drop from trees to the group. The mod uses overrides to make trees unbreakable by hand, and also modifies leaves so that they drop the needed items. Leaves are also modified to act as ladders, so you can climb through the tops of trees.

Mod Support
hardtrees supports all trees within the moretrees and default mod as of July 7th, 2016. To add support for more trees, use the code below modified to fit the new tree and save it in hardtrees/override.lua.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
-- override tree node
hardtrees.override.tree("modname:treename")
-- override leaves
hardtrees.override.leaf("modname:leavesname", "modname:saplingname")

treename is the name of the tree node so that hardtrees can override it to not be `oddly_breakable_by_hand`. The leavesname is the name of the leaves node which is modified to drop sticks. saplingname is required to allow the leaves to drop both sticks and saplings.

Configuration

Within the mod directory, is conf.txt within which you can specify many of the settings used within this mod. You can also create world specific configuration files by placing another conf.txt file within the world directory. Remember, you do not have to specify all settings in either configuration file, however, only those that you would like to change from the default.

+ config.txt Example

Downloads

Installation and Updates

Unzip the archive, rename the folder to hardtrees, and place it in minetest/mods or in the mods folder of the subgame in which you wish to use ServerTools.

You can also install this mod in the worldmods folder inside any world directory to use it only within one world.

For further information or help see: http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Installing_Mods

To update, periodically check the Gogs repository and download either the latest release or the master branch (most up to date, but often unstable).

The mod will soon include an auto update function, which will work on its own so long as you have internet.
Last edited by octacian on Thu Jul 14, 2016 00:36, edited 4 times in total.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Hard Trees [git] [hardtrees]

by Don » Thu Jul 07, 2016 13:44

I did something similar in a subgame I am making. It makes more sense!
+1
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Hard Trees [0.2] [hardtrees]

by Sokomine » Wed Jul 27, 2016 21:09

How do you handle tree nodes placed by the player? Sometimes digged trees are used as building material. It would be very annoying if they had to be digged again the same way as the original tree had to be cut.
A list of my mods can be found here.

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 17:46

Sokomine wrote:How do you handle tree nodes placed by the player? Sometimes digged trees are used as building material. It would be very annoying if they had to be digged again the same way as the original tree had to be cut.

As mentioned in the first post, I change the group to not be oddly_breakable_by_hand. This means after they are places you still have to use an axe. I hadn't thought about doing it any different. Would it really be that bad? If so, I will probably just register a new set of nodes with the "unbreaking" property that when placed use the breakable tree nodes. (This could be configured via the conf.txt file also.)
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Thu Jul 28, 2016 22:32

Sokomine wrote:How do you handle tree nodes placed by the player? Sometimes digged trees are used as building material. It would be very annoying if they had to be digged again the same way as the original tree had to be cut.

If I'm building with wood in a normal game I use an axe to clear mistakes anyway, because breaking wood or tree by hand is slow already. If the player has obtained tree in this mod then they should have access to an axe.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Return to Mod Releases