[Mod] Subspace Walker Tool (subspacewalker)

bell07

GitHub: bell07

[Mod] Subspace Walker Tool (subspacewalker)

by bell07 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 13:11

Hi, there is my first mod from scratch. The idea was born during studying the WorldEdit Code how to hide blocks.

Description:
The mod contains a tool that allow you to go trough blocks. If the tool is active you are in a Subspace bubble, so the real blocks around you are not there and you can walk trough them.
How to use:
- You need to hold the Subspace Walker tool in the hand and use them (right-click) for activation.
- Sneaking results in a lower Subspace and you go downwards.
- Jumping bring the nodes below you back to outside Subspace so you can go upwards
-To disable the Subspace Walker Tool just try to place it (left click) or take something other in the hand
- The tool can be crafted in as a vertical stick:
default:diamond
default:mese_crystal
group:stick

License: GPL-V3
Mod dependencies: none
Repo: https://github.com/bell07/minetest-subspacewalker
Download: https://github.com/bell07/minetest-subs ... master.zip

Screenshots:
older screenshots

Configuration
At begin of the "init.lua" some parameters can be adjusted
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
-- constant subspace size
local c_subspacesize = 8

-- chance for node restoral per second (No worries, all nodes will be restored, but not immediately)
local c_randomize_restore = 5

-- transform compatible nodes only
local c_restricted_mode = true

-- compatible nodes list
local compatible_nodes = {
   "default:stone",
   "default:dirt"
}
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (275.71 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
screenshot_20160927_200327.png
screenshot_20160927_200327.png (257.57 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
screenshot_20160927_200159.png
screenshot_20160927_200159.png (215.34 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
Last edited by bell07 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 20:38, edited 3 times in total.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [mod] Subspace Walker Tool (subspacewalker)

by azekill_DIABLO » Sun Sep 25, 2016 19:15

you should rename to shadowstep with a dark foot as icon
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

bell07

by bell07 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 09:09

Thank you for your proposal. It is better then subspacewalker that I cannot remind by myself.
If I search for "shadowstep" I find only WoW related information. Any other proposal for a name that is more known as a WoW card?

For an Icon: it should be a tool that the player hold up in the hand. In my opinion something like a decorative stick (fantasy-like / recipe: stick+diamond+mese in vertical?) or a technical device (SciFi-like). But I cannot paint both :(

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:09

i can paint you that. to be honest i didn't known it was a world of warcraft kard :D
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15

here you go!
Attachments
subspace walker.png
subspace walker.png (450 Bytes) Viewed 6081 times

bell07

by bell07 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:15

Thank you! License of the image?

I added a recipe and take an adjustment (pointable = false for subspace-nodes). For now I think I can release the mod.

azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] Subspace Walker Tool (subspacewalker)

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Sep 28, 2016 20:40

wtfpls license :)

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 21:23

azekill_DIABLO wrote:wtfpls license :)

Let's say it's CC0
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ManElevation

GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Thu Sep 29, 2016 13:43

not good for servers, not for single player ether if you have privs on single player than why would you need this
it will be good fro creative servers (maybe) good mod tho
Hey there im going to be off minetest for a while because my company has been deleloping a game called Ground Conflict, if you wish to see some screenshots or have some info, than please join our discord server https://discord.gg/C9ygXJn

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Thu Sep 29, 2016 15:40

MineYoshi wrote:
azekill_DIABLO wrote:wtfpls license :)

Let's say it's CC0

the unlicense

bell07

by bell07 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 09:23

ManElevation wrote:not good for servers, not for single player ether if you have privs on single player than why would you need this it will be good fro creative servers (maybe) good mod tho

Can you explain why it is not good for servers or single player? The idea was it will be nice on survival servers to avoid tunnelling in searching for caves, but without the full "noclip" functionality/permission.

ManElevation

GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Tue Oct 11, 2016 23:44

bell07 wrote:
ManElevation wrote:not good for servers, not for single player ether if you have privs on single player than why would you need this it will be good fro creative servers (maybe) good mod tho

Can you explain why it is not good for servers or single player? The idea was it will be nice on survival servers to avoid tunnelling in searching for caves, but without the full "noclip" functionality/permission.

well if you dont have the noclip permision, with this thing you can do it, what is the point tho? if you dont have the noclip priv is because the adminitrator doesnt want you to
Hey there im going to be off minetest for a while because my company has been deleloping a game called Ground Conflict, if you wish to see some screenshots or have some info, than please join our discord server https://discord.gg/C9ygXJn

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Tue Oct 18, 2016 03:13

This is pretty cool, but I imagine this creates much lag? With constant replacement of blocks?
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

bell07

by bell07 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 06:46

I noticed some visual lag but the reason is probably my slow onboard graphics chip. So you can try the mod and tell me about your experience.

There is no constant replacement of blocks. A globalstep checks nodes nearly active subspacewalker and swap the nodes to the subspace. Already swapped to subspace are not touched again. So if you stay, the mod should do nothing. The globalstep is limited to 0.25 seconds (4 times per second).
A abm on subspace nodes checks if no active subspacewalker is nearly and then swap the nodes back to original. The interval is more frequently (0.1) but with longer interval the going up trough jumping does not work proper.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Tue Oct 18, 2016 08:56

bell07 wrote:If I search for "shadowstep" I find only WoW related information. Any other proposal for a name that is more known as a WoW card?

Shadowstep is also a skill from the Dual Sword skill tree in Toram Online :P
it's a flashy ninja attack and you are invincible while casting it.

bell07

by bell07 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 20:52

Today I updated the mod. The main goal was to get to know VoxelManip. For now the subspace does less flicker. There are some optimizations in processing intervals, that should spare the CPU.

To be more server friendly there is a new "restricted" mode enabled by default. In this mode the walker cannot be used for housebreaking because only the compatible nodes (dirt and stone) can be transformed to subspace. The first screenshot is in this mode now.
The restore does some randomization. If you don't like it you need to set the c_randomize_restore to 1.

Question to other developers: This mod update is my first experience with VoxelManip interface. So please tell me all miss-usages in code. The metadata handling is still using get_node/get_meta, the restoral is still using swap_node. Is there a way to change them to VoxelManip too or is the current way the right one?

bell07

by bell07 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:12

A gameplay related update: Added wear to the subspacewalker tool depending on transformation count. Now the tool transforms only 65535 nodes. On default size that are ~ 1000 steps (which have gone faster than you think). So the tool does not give persistent capability to the player in survival.

Return to Mod Releases