[Mod] Other Worlds [other_worlds]

Shara

GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

[Mod] Other Worlds [other_worlds]

by Shara » Sat Dec 10, 2016 17:07

This mod adds asteroid layers and height-based skybox switches to create space environments. Asteroids have ore and can include atmosphere, decorative crystals and space plants. Min/max height for the layers is adjustable. The mod comes with two space layers included (space and red sky), but anyone familiar with adjusting mods should be able to easily customise to add additional layers.

More Screenshots:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://github.com/Ezhh/other_worlds/archive/master.zip

Source: https://github.com/Ezhh/other_worlds

Dependencies: default

License: Code is MIT. Textures are CC BY-SA 3.0 or CC BY-SA 4.0. Please see license.txt in the mod for full details of licenses and full list of contributors. Special thanks to tenplus1 and paramat for help with mapgen code.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

Re: [Mod] Other Worlds [other_worlds]

by TenPlus1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 17:08

ooh, very nice :)

davidthecreator

In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Sat Dec 10, 2016 20:33

keeeeeeeewl....

D00Med

GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Sat Dec 10, 2016 23:18

This looks good!
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242
dmobs2 is coming...

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:54

looks nice
what is the mesh thing on the last screenshot? is it garbage in space?!
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

lordfingle

GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

by lordfingle » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:05

Beautiful!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

Shara

by Shara » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:05

Thank you all.

DS - Do you mean the pink-ish coloured thing to the left? That's one of the crystals that appear on some of the asteroids.

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Sun Dec 11, 2016 13:16

Shara - yes, i meant that, but the crystal looks a bit out of place
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

Shara

by Shara » Sun Dec 11, 2016 13:48

Feedback I had from people testing the mod was all positive for the crystals.It was something I made sure to check because I know some people don't like more detailed models and prefer the usual blocky nodes for everything. I tested a few different things myself, and decided to include them, but if anyone wants to use the mod and prefers to remove them, that's fine as well.

Andrey01

In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 15:17

Shara, how have you done it? In MineTest unreally to make new dimensions, as delevopers have to rewrite source code default.Have i rightly understood it?

Shara

by Shara » Sun Dec 11, 2016 16:41

Hi Andrey, I'm not sure what you mean by other dimensions. This simply works above the usual map (you can adjust the height). The code is all on github if you want to check, or you can take a look on the Red Cat server if you want to see the mod in action.

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Sun Dec 11, 2016 19:33

This is amazing!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Amaz

GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 22:25

Awesome mod, Shara!
I really love the crystals - they make it look really "other-worldly!"
The skyboxes are awesome too!

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 07:02

Since this uses a large number of 3D noises memory use optimisations are essential, see https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16043

Shara

by Shara » Thu Dec 15, 2016 09:49

Thanks paramat, will have a look.

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Dec 16, 2016 07:33

This. Is. Amazing. A few things though.
1- Once I get to 7000, just.....blackness. It is scary. Maybe stars? some galaxies? not just claustrophobic blackness?
2- The Skyboxes are beautiful. I could just look at the skyboxes all day :D
3- Might I suggest gravity changes (yes it is possible - it is even a setting for gravity in advanced settings menu).
Other than that, simply amazing.
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

Shara

by Shara » Fri Dec 16, 2016 19:32

Hi GreenDiamond, thanks for the suggestions.

You can adjust the height for the layers in settings.lua, so could even expand them to the top of the map if you wish, and cut out the blackness that way. I mainly included the blackness to discourage players from exploring above 7k on my own server, in case I eventually add in new layers above these ones.

Gravity is already on my to do list, since the owner of TPS has asked for it. I just need to find some time to write it in.

And yes... I spent hours staring at the skyboxes. This was originally just going to be a skybox switcher mod, then the rest of it just happened. :)

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Dec 16, 2016 19:43

Shara wrote: This was originally just going to be a skybox switcher mod, then the rest of it just happened. :)

: o
please don't forget about the skybox switcher... I know I would love that (and probably others)
If by "switcher", you mean a mod which switches the skybox textures related to various times of day/night? Cuz that would be really awshum!
Flick?... Flick who?

Shara

by Shara » Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:27

Well, this has height based skybox switching as part of it. When a player reaches a certain height a new skybox drops in. So we have the regular skybox with the moving sun and moon on the surface, then over a certain height the space one appears.

What would you be looking for in a time based switcher? Keep in mind that when you use different skyboxes, you lose the moving sun/moon.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:44

Shara wrote:Well, this has height based skybox switching as part of it. When a player reaches a certain height a new skybox drops in. So we have the regular skybox with the moving sun and moon on the surface, then over a certain height the space one appears.

What would you be looking for in a time based switcher? Keep in mind that when you use different skyboxes, you lose the moving sun/moon.

Yes, I realize it means losing the moving sun, moon, and clouds. I had tried playing with an existing skybox mod a while back (not sure if it was RealBadAngel's or paramat's work) which used a view of the Earth from the Moon.
I switched out the textures with my own but, at night the sky never changes so the sky remains day while it is night.
I had created a second set of the same sky textures but darkened them and added in a moon in over where the sun is, but was never able to figure out how to code it so at a certain "time of day" the skybox would switch to that 2d set.
Ideal would be to have 3 or 4 sets. 1=for dawn, 2= for day, 3= for dusk, 4= for night, and set them to switch at given times of day (the same as the brightness changes by default) I realise the transition would not be smooth but would still be cool.
But then qwertymine3 had also made a mod using the code from "craft" which has wicked nice looking clouds..., except they are stationary... it would be even cooler to have those clouds hard-coded into the engine, but to move as the default clouds do.
I'm sorry to invade this post for your nice mod here.... I just got excited when you mentioned "skybox switcher" :P
Last edited by TumeniNodes on Fri Dec 16, 2016 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Flick?... Flick who?

Shara

by Shara » Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:56

No worries about the invasion. :) It's all things for me to think about after all. I think I saw a server that does switch skybox based on time, but never looked into making something like that myself. I have another mod that uses height based switching (much simpler than this), which I'll probably post here soon, and maybe at some point I'll look at something time based. Won't make promises though - already have a lot of works in progress to tidy up.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Dec 16, 2016 21:00

Shara wrote:No worries about the invasion. :) It's all things for me to think about after all. I think I saw a server that does switch skybox based on time, but never looked into making something like that myself. I have another mod that uses height based switching (much simpler than this), which I'll probably post here soon, and maybe at some point I'll look at something time based. Won't make promises though - already have a lot of works in progress to tidy up.

No promise expected. After trying my hand at coding I realize it is definitely not a simple task. There is another height based skybox somewhere in these forums in either WIP mods or mod releases as well.
Cool work, keep it up.
Flick?... Flick who?

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Dec 16, 2016 22:33

Shara wrote:I mainly included the blackness to discourage players from exploring above 7k on my own server, in case I eventually add in new layers above these ones.

Server?
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑

Shara

by Shara » Fri Dec 16, 2016 22:35

other_worlds has been running on Red Cat Creative since September. I made it for and tested it on Red Cat, then decided it would be a good first offering on the forums as well. :)

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Dec 16, 2016 22:38

Oh ok! and WOW that was a fast reply!

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Dec 17, 2016 16:59

damn! this is such a good mod that i lost my words!
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sat Dec 17, 2016 19:17

TumeniNodes, if you use the simple skybox option of just specifying a RGB colour for the whole sky it can be altered fairly smoothly with time, i did this in my snowdrift mod for an overcast sky that gets dark at night. Maybe the code will help with your own switching https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6854

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sat Dec 17, 2016 21:08

paramat wrote:TumeniNodes, if you use the simple skybox option of just specifying a RGB colour for the whole sky it can be altered fairly smoothly with time, i did this in my snowdrift mod for an overcast sky that gets dark at night. Maybe the code will help with your own switching https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6854

Nice, thank you.
I'll look into this now.
You want a good laugh? When I was trying different ways to use the skybox with textures, I even tried giving them an alpha channel thinking I might still be able to see the clouds, sun and moon through them :P
I did see mention of using a "plane" on irrlicht forums a while back but never found out how to access the plane or any info regarding it. Not sure if it would be the small plane Minetest uses for sunset (which I have changed a few times but always revert back to the original)
I will stop filling up shara's thread with this unrelated stuff and I'll make a new post for this stuff later down the road
Flick?... Flick who?

Shara

by Shara » Wed Dec 28, 2016 13:45

Added an option to enable player gravity changes while in space. This is off by default, but can be changed in the settings file for the mod.

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Thu Dec 29, 2016 06:59

Yay! Now for more space!

Next

Return to Mod Releases