Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 02:47

That would be nice, but it may or may not be a likely proposition.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 03:00

Inocudom wrote:That would be nice, but it may or may not be a likely proposition.

why not. it adds so much more life to the game. also with my pull request you can actually make wool. if we can get dye recipes from the flowers that you just have to cook them or something and that is it then this would be perfect to add to the vanilla game.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Sun Jan 20, 2013 06:47

Plantlife is still under development and is not being aimed at minetest_game at this time.

Regarding your recipe/pull request: I've merged it. Plantlife/flowers can now craft two white wool from four wads of cotton.

Also, today's update for modders: Plantlife's mapgen-based spawner can now directly call the spawn_tree() function if supplied with the appropriate parameters. See API.txt for details.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Bas080

GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 17:12

Suggestion for growing plants. Having natural plants that all have exactly similar height is not believable. Maybe you can add a height-deviation argument. That way plant size can differ.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Jan 26, 2013 03:41

2013-01-25: HUGE update!

Changed plants_lib API to require a table argument when not using legacy calling options. This opens the door for even more features in the future. Changed flowers, junglegrass, poisonivy to match.

Many other changes, including:

• Made plants lib faster in some places, especially the surface-hunting algorithm, and especially over water. Fixed a few other misc. bugs.
  • Made growth code properly execute all biome-control code before executing any string-named function or spawn_tree().
  • Tuned flowers settings. Made flowers require at least some light to spawn, made waterlilies require shallower water. Fixed a bug in water depth detect and made water depth depend on whether the bottom of the water area is dirt, dirt with grass, or sand, rather than just anything.
  • Made waterlilies randomly rotate on spawning to break up the patterns (now has 16 orientations with the help of nodeboxes and facedir, requires only 3 new nodes). Smoothed edges of the regular waterlily texture. Made all flowers and waterlilies spawn using only 3 ABM calls instead of 8.
  • Got rid of colon prefix node def overrides on all plants, since this is a modpack now instead of an integrated mod. Fixed a misspelled folder name for poisonivy.
  • Fixed a bug in the wall detection routine - it returned the last wall found, not the first.
  • Made the top-side-check for air only apply when spawning on top of the target rather than its sides/bottom.

Many other features and enhancements have been made. Too many to list here. Please see the mod's API.txt file or the code for details.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 04:35

Plant-type Request: Brome Grass

Minetest's default grass looks too golfcourse perfect. I would like tall grass as an option. Something that, maybe some day in the future, could wave in the wind.

Perhaps there could be tall grass biomes.

If a perfectly manicured lawn is desired or maybe default grass to indicate a path amongst the tall grass may a worldedit like command could be issued to keep the lawn mowed. Once the command is executed on a spefic area the tall grass nodes will not appear on the dirt_with_grass nodes.

For pathes, maybe a function that works like a lawn mower where ever the player walks the tall grass nodes will disappear.

Thanks for the plantlife and moretrees mods. They really do enhance Minetest.
.: Minetest 0.4.14 ~ Linux Mint ~ A moka pot, a French press, a dirty coffee cup, and a spoiled-rotten kitty :.
Visit our Minetest server at: LinuxGaming2.com, port 30000
Screenshots, overview maps, and server info at: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5684
My blog: http://lazyjminetest.blogspot.com/

Ragnarok

by Ragnarok » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08

Is there a way that the junglegrass does not disappear when I place it somewhere manually? I use it for decoration and disappearing is quite cumbersome.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Jan 26, 2013 17:13

Ragnarok: Place it on anything other than default sand, desert sand, or dirt with grass. For example, place it that all-grass block in More Blocks, or in a Home Decor flower pot, etc.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Jan 26, 2013 17:18

LazyJ: Change the spawning settings for the Jungle Grass mod and you'll have your tall grass. :-) See Plantlife API for details.

For a quick test, in plantlife/junglegrass/init.lua, find the spawn_on_surfaces() call for "shortest" jungle grass on default:dirt_with_grass. Comment out the "avoid_radius" line. Then add this to that table:

plantlife_limit = -1,

(with the trailing comma)

This will cause plantlife to effectively ignore the "can grow in these areas" perlin layer for that plant, making it grow everywhere that dirt with grass can be found.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Jan 26, 2013 18:17

You could make a house plant version of the jungle grass and the poison ivy.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Jan 26, 2013 21:35

That's a thought, but as long as you don't place them on the same surfaces they normally spawn on, they won't grow.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun Jan 27, 2013 20:07

Fixed a missing facedir option in the spawn_on_surfaces code, which also fixes seaweed spawning on the wrong side of a node.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 02:11

Ah i did wonder why i have never seen seaweed :D.
I rely on donations to help provide an income https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Mon Jan 28, 2013 02:46

Actually you'd still see it, but it's ideally pretty rare. It would just have looked like some kind of levitating seaweed before. ;-)

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:23

This mod is getting awesomer by the minute. It has seen a complete overhaul from the old separate mods in terms of performance, and . It also adds a standardized set of functions for adding plants, flowers, and...well...plant life to the world, thanks to the plants_lib mod.
I'm amazed of the hard work you've put on this Vanessa; I hope this, like the plants, keeps growing.

P.S: This is my 500th POST!!!
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 05:31

2013-01-29: Added a Perlin humidity layer to mapgen and abm-spawning calls. Added the ability to directly spawn single nodes at mapgen time. See API.txt for details on how to control both.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Sat Feb 02, 2013 07:28

Latest everything:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/plants_lib/init.lua:299: attempt to index local 'options' (a number value)
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
04:25:59: ERROR[main]:  ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/plants_lib/init.lua:299: in function 'grow_plants'
04:25:59: ERROR[main]:  ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:55: in main chunk
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ModError: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua

EDIT: Just upon trying to start minetestserver.

EDIT2: people, read the instructions! >.< Learn from my mistake...
Last edited by leo_rockway on Sat Feb 02, 2013 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Sat Feb 02, 2013 18:38

leo_rockway wrote:4:25:59: ERROR[main]: ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:55: in main chunk

leo_rockway wrote:EDIT2: people, read the instructions! >.< Learn from my mistake...

Yup.. always always read the instructions. Sometimes it does contain important info :P

For those who still don't get it:
VanessaE wrote:Install: First, you must completely remove any copies of this modpack and/or any individual copies of plants_lib, flowers, junglegrass, or poisonivy (including the one with the incorrectly-named folder) that you may have installed. Then, download the above zip, extract it, and put the resultant "plantlife-VanessaE-blablahblah" folder into your Minetest mods folder. You do not need to rename this folder.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Sat Feb 02, 2013 18:46

RAPHAEL wrote:
leo_rockway wrote:4:25:59: ERROR[main]: ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:55: in main chunk

leo_rockway wrote:EDIT2: people, read the instructions! >.< Learn from my mistake...

Yup.. always always read the instructions. Sometimes it does contain important info :P

In my defense, I installed plantlife when it first came out and I have a script that git pulls on all the mods I have installed. I had read the instructions originally so I didn't think they had changed.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 02:49

How about using the minetest mapgen perlin for deserts as a humidity map? It is ..
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
local perlin = minetest.env:get_perlin(9130,3,0.5,250)
local noise = perlin:get2d({x=x+150,y=z+50})

With noise > 0.4 for deserts / dry areas.
I rely on donations to help provide an income https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun Feb 03, 2013 08:03

Thanks for the tip! Git updated accordingly :-)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 05:02

Are you still considering adding in the plants from the moreflowers mod? The link to the mod's topic is below.
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=2631
The plants in that mod spawn whenever new chunks of the map are loaded. They are not flammable, but they could be used to decorate areas where the trees from the moretrees mod are scarce (as long as they have grass and dirt.) The brown plant could be used to decorate the deserts and the mushrooms could be used to decorate the caves. When considering how to spawn the tall sunflowers, look at how the crops in the hydrophonics mod grow. There are some duplicate plants in the moreflowers mod, so you will have to ignore those.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Feb 05, 2013 06:48

Yes. I just forgot about it is all. I'll get to it Real Soon Now.™ ;-)

I am of course happy to receive pull requests if anyone feels like adapting it.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:04

That is understandable. The trees of the moretrees mod were the top priority of you and RealBadAngel. By the looks of things, it doesn't look like the creator of the moreflowers mod works on it anymore.

Below here is an image that shows off all of the unique plants of the moreflowers mod.
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb399/Nolornbon/screenshot_18494684_zpsa8cba125.png
I placed one of each of the unique plants into an appropriate group:
The plants that are on the clay blocks can be treated just like the flowers in your plantlife modpack are.
The group of green specks on the water source could be spawned in clusters where deep water is found to make oceans more interesting.
The mushrooms on the stone blocks could be spawned like your flowers, but could be more common around the trees of the moretrees mod (as long as those trees can spawn on grass, with the bigger trees getting more mushrooms around them than the rest.) They could also appear in caves, but so could a fluorescent type that is turquoise in color.
The plants that are on the gravel could spawn in grassy areas where the trees of the moretrees mod will not (even if the default trees of Minetest are there.) The two yellow-green plants are short grass and tall grass, and the yellow and white plant is known as cotton (though you could name it something else, due to the fact that it does not look like yours.) These three plants, like in the moreflowers mod, could grow in clusters ranging from small to large. The tall plant behind them is what I assume to be a sunflower. This type of plant could grow exclusively in grassy areas where the trees of the moretrees mod will not. The other three plants on the gravel nodes could primarily grow in the same regions as well, but could also appear in small clusters in other places with grass nodes as well.
The brown plant on the sandstone block is an interesting one. This is due to the fact that it moves by disappearing on the node that it is on and instantly reappearing on an adjacent node. Because of this behavior and because of how it looks, it could be referred to as tumbleweed. This plant could spawn only in deserts on desert sand and desert stone and only be able to move onto those two node types. An additional variation of the plant could be made that is stationary, but could eventually become the original kind that moves.

I recently sent the creator of the moreflowers mod, sda97, a PM asking whether he will continue to work on the mod or not. He has not responded yet.
Last edited by Inocudom on Fri Feb 08, 2013 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Fri Feb 22, 2013 06:11

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the code or the documentation, but in the first post here and in the README that comes with this modpack, it states the mods should work with Minetest version 0.4.4 or later. However, the plants_lib mod uses a new API call minetest.env:spawn_tree(...) which is newer than 0.4.4 so can only be obtained from the development version.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Fri Feb 22, 2013 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 06:46

0.4.4 refers to the current development branch actually, but I've clarified it in the README and first post. Thanks for catching that.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 05:37

2013-02-23: Made a couple of perlin functions global to avoid re-defining them unnecessarily. Optimized a bunch of nil comparisons ("if x == nil" -> "if not x" and similar)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 17:37

2013-02-23: Added a couple features to the API to allow for turning off checking for air, deleting nodes above/surrounding the spawn target during the mapgen code, replacing the spawn target, and checking the type of node directly below the spawn target.

newdude

by newdude » Sat Mar 02, 2013 02:17

sweet +1

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases