[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:00

I want to be able to retain the whole coconuts in case they could be used later.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:25

VanessaE wrote:I want to be able to retain the whole coconuts in case they could be used later.
you could make the coconuts a nodebox and when hit they show half the top off. Then you could let people plant cocnuts in sand and a tree could grow there.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
S=sand
C=broken coconut

sss
scs
sss

or you could do
s s
scs
sss
and when you rightclick the cocnut it places a seedling on top of sand. t=tree sapling
             t
s  s        sss
scs  -->    sss
sss         sss

Last edited by jojoa1997 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Nov 08, 2013 02:05

Small update today: trunks can now be placed sideways by holding the 'sneak' key. As such, this mod now requires Minetest git commit 1d856b73 or later.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Thu Nov 14, 2013 23:18

Update: Moretrees can now use the plantlike draw type for all leaves (including default and default jungle leaves). For the sake of improving peoples' frame rates, this is now the default look of the leaves. Set the variable "moretrees.plantlike_leaves" to false in your moretrees_settings.txt if you don't like the effect.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Nov 14, 2013 23:32

Thank you, VanessaE. Trees look better (and run smoother) with leaves having the plantlike drawing type.
Last edited by Inocudom on Fri Nov 15, 2013 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Thu Nov 14, 2013 23:48

Oops! Fixed in git.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 01:54

Evergreen reported a glitch I didn't think to look into that caused inventory images to appear squashed. This is because I have to fake the correct aspect ratio using the leaves' textures (because visual_scale doesn't allow for it). I've attempted to remedy this by using the old inventorycube() call for all leaves when plantlike is enabled. It looks better, but has the side effect that dropped leaves are flat.

When cubical leaves are selected, they render as (and drop out as) normal cubes, like usual.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Nov 22, 2013 01:14

Small update: Made all trees default to regular cubical (allfaces_optional) leaves again, and added the necessary flags such that they will wave "in the breeze" when the waving plants/leaves shader goes into mainsteam.

Plantlike leaves, if enabled, will not wave, because this won't look right with that particular shader (it anchors the waving effect at the plant's base, whereas plantlike leaves would need to be anchored in the center of the node to look right). Maybe later if a third option is added that works well for those kinds of leaves.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Fri Nov 22, 2013 06:35

VanessaE wrote:Small update: Made all trees default to regular cubical (allfaces_optional) leaves again, and added the necessary flags such that they will wave "in the breeze" when the waving plants/leaves shader goes into mainsteam.

Plantlike leaves, if enabled, will not wave, because this won't look right with that particular shader (it anchors the waving effect at the plant's base, whereas plantlike leaves would need to be anchored in the center of the node to look right). Maybe later if a third option is added that works well for those kinds of leaves.

That means the effect would not be possible with papyrus either.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Nov 22, 2013 09:00

Such an effect is certainly possible, it just needs a shader variation coded specifically for that class of objects.

Topywo

by Topywo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 09:59

I saw this question on the Landrush forum:

Hello.
For all trees they almost always give more saplings when they're chopped down so that they reproduce. With palms it's the opposite, they rarely give a single sapling; therefore I think this is a bug.

and decided to take a look at the code:

moretrees/node_defs.lua

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
                -- player will get a sapling with 1/100 chance
                -- player will get leaves only if he/she gets no saplings,
                -- this is because max_items is 1

local droprarity = 100

if treename ~= "palm" then
                        droprarity = 20
                end

When reading the first comment and knowing that palm trees have less leaves than other trees, shouldn't it be:

if treename == "palm" then
?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23

Ah yes, you're right. How did I miss that? Fixed in git.

Azuna

by Azuna » Sun Feb 09, 2014 17:54

can someone make a timber mod for this???

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Feb 09, 2014 17:57

Azuna wrote:can someone make a timber mod for this???

Uff. That might be very complicated. It's not easy to determine after growth what belongs to which tree.

Perhaps you ought to have a look at my random_buildings mod. It currently lacks pictures..I need to update the thread soon. What it adds are nice tiny huts with lumberjacks in (=mobs) who are willing to trade wood with you. That way, moretrees wood can be aquired much more easily. I'm currently working on traders that use even less ressources.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Azuna

by Azuna » Tue Feb 11, 2014 00:05

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Azuna wrote:can someone make a timber mod for this???
try out the technic chainsaw

Can you post a link for me? Thanks. and also, i have the random buildings already. great mod :D)

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 17:34

Well, I got the following ideas:

- one abm for all group:moretree_leaves (or however), except for palm leaves. could this be a speedup for poor servers? no idea, just an idea

- sticks. sticks for every type of planks, so it's possible to craft tools with them or craft stick back into the given-wood-name-planks

I'm not sure if I should test the 2nd idea on my server, it would be interesting what you think about this.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [20131124] [moretrees]

by VanessaE » Sun Jul 13, 2014 08:49

I won't be adding sticks for every type of tree, I don't think there's a reason for that, honestly. Having multiple ABMs versus one isn't any slower either. In fact it's probably a tad faster. If I wrapped it all up in one ABM, I'd have to do all of the decisions in Lua, which is surely going to be slower than letting C++ handle it.

Anyway, another update: Minor bugfix, bright fir needles/leaves were incorrectly dropping as items on decay (because they dropped as a different item name). Decided I liked the idea, so now by default, all leaves will drop as entities when they decay, and they will automatically group into larger stacks and automatically expire after some time (whatever the engine's default is, 10 minutes I think) if you're running 0.4.10 or a very recent git build.

This behavior works very well alongside RealBadAngel's item_tweaks mod's magnetic pick-up feature.

If you don't like this new behavior, add moretrees.decay_leaves_as_items = false to <yourworldfolder>/moretrees_settings.txt and it will behave like it did before (decaying leaves just disappear, including the aforementioned bright fir needles/leaves).

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Fri Aug 01, 2014 14:44

I found another bug with the palm trees, as soon as they form, they immediately start to decay, sometimes they basically explode with leaf and sapling drops right after forming.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Aug 01, 2014 16:04

Check your world folder, therein my be a file called moretrees_settings.txt. What is the value of moretrees.palm_leafdecay_radius in that file?

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Fri Aug 01, 2014 21:13

That setting is at the default of 15, what would be a good number for that to reduce the bug?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Aug 02, 2014 02:03

Try bumping it up to 20. However even at 15 it should still work. I'll look into this shortly.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Aug 08, 2014 02:34

Ok I finally found this bug and squashed it. Sorry that took so long. Turned out to be lack of an exception on line 22 of moretrees/leafdecay.lua so they were using the radius for all of the other trees. So that's fixed, and I made a small performance improvement in the leaf decay code in the process of hunting down this bug.

The default radius of 15 for that variable is just fine, you can leave it at that setting. Just update your copy of moretrees and the palms should stop decaying.

Sachou

GitHub: Sachou205
IRC: Sachou205
In-game: Sachou

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [20140807] [moretrees]

by Sachou » Fri Aug 15, 2014 16:20

Hi VanessaE, i really love your mod moretrees, wood textures are beautiful! :)
But in my opinion, the texture of the woods planks in general doesn't really looks like wood...(i think ^^)
So i allowed myself to recreate those textures keeping original color, inspired by breech wood planks.
Here is the result:

If you are interested, i ll give you the nex textures, thx you for reading me, bye :D

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Aug 15, 2014 17:10

I appreciate the effort, but your new textures look too plain in my opinion. They lack contrast and there's no "small planks" effect. Thanks anyway though. :-)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 00:54

Sachou wrote:But in my opinion, the texture of the woods planks in general doesn't really looks like wood...(i think ^^)
So i allowed myself to recreate those textures keeping original color, inspired by breech wood planks.

Can you do the same with diffrent colors? Technically, the final color of wood depends far more on wood stain (hope I got that translated right) than on the type of wood as such. Though, from the gameplay aspect, it's much nicer to have diffrent trees with diffrent colored wood. Even if the wood happens to be a color/shade no real wood ever had prior to treatment.

The following colors would be of special intrest: coloredwood:wood_dark_red (cherry), coloredwood:wood_medium_orange (sold as "marple" in RealTest), coloredwood:wood_medium_yellow, coloredwood:wood_dark_green_s50, coloredwood:wood_medium_skyblue_s50, coloredwood:wood_medium_redviolet_s50, coloredwood:wood_white, coloredwood:wood_darkgrey. Plus a rich, dark brown like the old junglewood (can be sold as "chestnut"), and a very light brown, close to what most wood types look in RL after the tree was cut down. There is also the junglewood texture Calinou used in his moreblocks mod a long time ago. That texture is brighter than the old junglewood one and slightly more red.

VanessaE already created a version of the new (minetest_next) texture with a color similar to that of the old junglewood color. Unfortionately, it is not exactly the same texture as that of the current wooden planks, although it fits better.

Sachou

GitHub: Sachou205
IRC: Sachou205
In-game: Sachou

by Sachou » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:29

What do you want me to do sokomine? To change the color of the wood or wood planks? I tried to reproduce the interior color of the wood (logs), i don't understand what you want to change :p (sry too if it's a bad translation)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun Aug 24, 2014 07:13

Update: Added Acacia trees, which grow in deserts near the edges of the biomes (and occasionally into the grass just outside). Based on a model by crazyginger72, and using textures from paramat's watershed mod.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Aug 24, 2014 08:41

Nice but you forgot a texture:

10:39:54: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "moretrees_acacia_leaves_plantlike.png" while building texture
10:39:54: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "moretrees_acacia_leaves_plantlike.png"
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun Aug 24, 2014 14:19

Oops, yep forgot that one. Fixed in git.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Aug 24, 2014 22:30

Sachou wrote:What do you want me to do sokomine? To change the color of the wood or wood planks? I tried to reproduce the interior color of the wood (logs), i don't understand what you want to change :p (sry too if it's a bad translati

Explaining that took a bit of time, but finally VanessaE understood what I wanted and improved the textures of coloredwood. That's most of the work :-) What remains are perhaps some tree trunks in suitable colors, and maybe some intresting furits and leaves.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases