[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

paramat

GitHub: paramat

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [20140807] [moretrees]

by paramat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 23:27

Vanessa, are some of the acacia branches composed of nodes with all 6 faces being 'trunk', such that the interior 'trunk top' doesn't show? If so those nodes should drop a standard trunk node which has 'trunk top' on the top and bottom, perhaps you've done this already?

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Aug 25, 2014 00:08

No, in this mod they're just regular trunks. I could adjust the mod to use an all-bark-faces node (and drop regular trunks), it just never really occurred to me to do so. :-)

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon Aug 25, 2014 05:10

Yeah in watershed the branches are normal trunk nodes with exposed interiors. The above idea only occured to me when i saw cg72's screenshot.

bdjnk

GitHub: bdjnk

by bdjnk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 18:31

I've encountered an bug, where register_on_placenode is not called for slabs and stairs from moretrees' woods (and from moreblocks). These broken nodes also don't show up in the creative mode inventory's list of available nodes.

I've looked into the source, but I have not yet been able to figure out what exactly is occurring.

This is what I'm attempting to accomplish:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
local setdir = false
local facings = {}

minetest.register_on_placenode(function(pos, newnode, placer, oldnode, itemstack, pointed_thing)
   minetest.chat_send_player(placer:get_player_name(), "placed "..newnode.name)
   if facings[newnode.name] then
      newnode.param2 = facings[newnode.name]
      minetest.swap_node(pos, newnode)
   end
end)

minetest.register_on_punchnode(function(pos, node, puncher, pointed_thing)
   if setdir then
      facings[node.name] = node.param2
      setdir = false
      minetest.chat_send_player(puncher:get_player_name(), node.name..".param2 = "..node.param2)
   end
end)

minetest.register_chatcommand("dir", {
   params = "<mode>",
   description = "Keep a direction / facing / heading",
   func = function(name, param)
      if param == "set" then setdir = true
      elseif param == "clear" then facings = {} end
   end
})

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Sep 03, 2014 14:54

If this is a bug anywhere, it would have to be in moreblocks/stairsplus, as moretrees does not define anything regarding slabs/stairs except what is done by moreblocks.

Stairsplus nodes are not supposed to show up in your creative inventory - if they did, it would bloat it to as much as 100 pages' worth of stuff, depending on the game you're playing (Dreambuilder, for example has over 7000 registered nodes/items, a couple thousand of which are stairs/slabs/etc).

That aside, I'm unsure why your code isn't working.

Have you tried Sokomine's "replacer" mod? It does a job similar so what it looks like you're trying to do here (except it replaces the node rather than just setting its facedir).

bdjnk

GitHub: bdjnk

by bdjnk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 15:31

VanessaE wrote:If this is a bug anywhere, it would have to be in moreblocks/stairsplus, as moretrees does not define anything regarding slabs/stairs except what is done by moreblocks.

With additional investigating I had begun to realize that. Still, moretrees is affected, for whatever reason.

VanessaE wrote:Stairsplus nodes are not supposed to show up in your creative inventory - if they did, it would bloat it to as much as 100 pages' worth of stuff, depending on the game you're playing (Dreambuilder, for example has over 7000 registered nodes/items, a couple thousand of which are stairs/slabs/etc).

The fact that these nodes don't show up in creative is not the bug. That was just a parenthetical correlation I noticed.

VanessaE wrote:That aside, I'm unsure why your code isn't working.

It isn't working because minetest.register_on_placenode is never being called. That's the bug.

VanessaE wrote:Have you tried Sokomine's "replacer" mod? It does a job similar so what it looks like you're trying to do here (except it replaces the node rather than just setting its facedir).

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't seen it. I'll give it a try.

mgl

GitHub: mgl512

by mgl » Wed Sep 10, 2014 19:56

I'm a new player (from France) and I found some kind of bug in moretrees: apple blossoms won't decay.

I'm using moretrees and nature_classic from plantlife_modpack (from github) with the leaf decay code of the game commented out ('games/minetest_game/mods/default/functions.lua'). The configuration file of moretrees, 'default_settings.txt' (in which I didn't change anything), suggests to do this if you give it control of the default and jungle trees.

But apple blossoms won't decay if you disable the decay code of minetest_game. There's no code in moretrees to make them decay.

I fixed it in my game. This is the git diff, it may help:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
diff --git a/leafdecay.lua b/leafdecay.lua
index 9d771d7..3f8a1dd 100644
--- a/leafdecay.lua
+++ b/leafdecay.lua
@@ -84,6 +84,21 @@ if moretrees.enable_default_leafdecay then
          nodeupdate(pos)
       end
    })   
+
+   -- Decay apple tree blossoms from nature_classic mod
+   if minetest.get_modpath("nature_classic") then
+      minetest.register_abm({
+         nodenames = "moretrees:apple_blossoms",
+         interval = moretrees.default_leafdecay_delay,
+         chance = moretrees.default_leafdecay_chance,
+         action = function(pos, node, active_object_count, active_object_count_wider)
+            if minetest.find_node_near(pos, moretrees.leafdecay_radius, { "ignore", "moretrees:apple_tree_trunk" }) then return end
+            process_drops(pos, "moretrees:apple_tree_leaves")
+            minetest.remove_node(pos)
+            nodeupdate(pos)
+         end
+   })
+   end
 end

if moretrees.enable_default_jungle_leafdecay then

The apple blossoms decay as apple tree leaves rather than as themselves so that they have a chance to drop a sapling without writing extra code and because, as themselves, they currently drop nothing through the call to process_drop(), they just disappear.

It's important that they have a chance to drop a sapling because my apple trees have roughly 50% blossoms and 50% leaves and, even with this code, they only drop like 3 saplings on average. They may actually drop more of them if you search the area very carefully, but it would be too tedious. I may be in the worst case with the saplings, with a lot of water around and overlapping trees.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Sep 10, 2014 21:18

Ah, good catch. I've merged your change to moretrees.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 20:27

4aiman, post: 1625, member: 49 wrote:FM does have it, but sometimes minetest.env produces following error: "operation on bad self" (or smth like that).
Instead of [icode]minetest.env:some_func_call(...)[/icode] one should use [icode]minetest.some_func_call(...)[/icode] then all works like it should.
[icode]minetest.env[/icode] is deprecated even in MT, so the bug probably origins from there, although I didn't check.
There was smth else, but I've forgotten the details. Maybe current version is updated? Then I'm spreading nonsence.

This comes from the forums of Freeminer. Was this error fixed? It might affect Minetest players too.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Sep 20, 2014 21:44

I haven't the foggiest idea what he's talking about, Inocudom. That post you quoted simply made no sense. Neither moretrees nor plantlife modpack contain any uses of that old minetest.env method.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 22:28

VanessaE wrote:I haven't the foggiest idea what he's talking about, Inocudom. That post you quoted simply made no sense. Neither moretrees nor plantlife modpack contain any uses of that old minetest.env method.

Well, I will be sure to tell him that.

gamergardencat

by gamergardencat » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21

[moreblocks] loaded.
[Plants Lib] Loaded
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: C:\Users\me\Desktop\New folder\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua:
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: ...inetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\moretrees/node_defs.lua:191: attempt to index global 'stairsplus' (a nil value)
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: ...inetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\moretrees/node_defs.lua:191: in main chunk
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: ...der\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua:78: in main chunk
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run C:\Users\me\Desktop\New folder\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua
06:50:24: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\me\Desktop\New folder\minetest-0.4.10-64bit\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua

I was really hoping to try this mod out. It worked previously a few months ago. I wanted to create a new tree but I don't understand what it means by 'node_defs.lua:191: attempt to index global 'stairsplus' (a nil value)'. I don't know LUA well enough to debug that.

So maybe never mind that. The moreblocks mod from https://github.com/VanessaE/moreblocks has this error while Calinou's from OP viewtopic.php?f=11&t=509 doesn't. Maybe I will maybe that tree after all.
superman slices a giant apple into 3 and hands it to guest220

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Oct 01, 2014 19:41

Yep, lots of people get that error if moreblocks is too far out of date. Seems you found one such copy; others seem to be getting it from some outdated repository of mods (maybe the mod store, or Debian? I don't know). I've deleted my repository that you linked to, as it too is way too old and contains nothing new. Just update your copy from Calinou's official upstream repository at https://gitorious.org/calinou/moreblocks .

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun Oct 05, 2014 18:17

Small updates: For consistency with the default game, Moretrees no longer drops leaves out as items by default when they decay - they just disappear. Also, since plants_lib no longer lags the mapgen, there's no reason to spawn trees as saplings anymore - trees will spawn whole right away.

All users: to get your worlds to follow this change, you will need to tweak your moretrees_settings.txt in your world folder(s) to set the following variables:

moretrees.spawn_saplings = false
moretrees.decay_leaves_as_items = false

.... With the current version of plants_lib that's in this Game, the sapling setting doesn't need to be 'true' anymore. The 'decay' setting is a matter of personal taste. You don't have to make these changes if you don't want to - your worlds will just use whatever you have been using before, nothing will break.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Oct 06, 2014 00:55

Updated this since I updated plants_lib. When adding "moretrees.decay_leaves_as_items = false" I noticed in moretrees_settings.txt this:
-- Enable this one if you want this mod's leafdecay code to affect the old
-- default trees too; this setting is independent of the one above. You'll
-- want to manually disable the default leafdecay code in minetest_game if
-- you enable this, otherwise you'll have two sets of leaf decay code running
-- at the same time, which will just waste CPU for no benefit.

moretrees.enable_default_leafdecay = true

I'm puzzled by the disabling in minetest.conf bit if (and I do) we use moretrees.enable_default_leafdecay = true
I can't find what setting to disable in minetest.conf. I've searched Google, and each page of this thread for all mentions of decay and can't find my answer.
A bit of handholding on this would be appreciated as I'm all about shaving as much server stress off as possible.

TYA Lee
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Mon Oct 06, 2014 01:04

At the time I wrote that, order to disable it in minetest_game, you had to edit a file in minetest_game/mods/default/ to flat-out disable the leaf decay code. At present, that code is in functions.lua, but those instructions are outdated now.

It should be enough to just redefine default leaves to remove them from the "leafdecay" group. I'll look into doing this soon.

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Sat Oct 11, 2014 15:33

Hi VanessaE,

Sometimes, i found this strange trees, i don't know how i can fix it... Have you an idea ? (it's like the water in generate after the tree, and erase "the parts of the tree in water")
+ Spoiler

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Oct 11, 2014 15:39

Minetestforfun wrote:Hi VanessaE,

Sometimes, i found this strange trees, i don't know how i can fix it... Have you an idea ? (it's like the water in generate after the tree, and erase "the parts of the tree in water")

Better visibility:
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Oct 11, 2014 15:56

Yeah, I've seen the same thing, but I'm not entirely sure of the cause. The engine will only place tree trunks and leaves where there is air, it won't replace water (or anything else). This property of tree growth is a deficiency in the engine, but the fact that there's a tree there in the water at all is a minor bug in either plants_lib or moretrees.

My best guess is that there was air down there under the water where the tree is rooted, due to the mapgen's cave generator, which was then filled in with water before the tree is grown but after plants_lib had logged the block as generated. I'll look into fixing this, as I've seen the same glitch in my test world.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Oct 11, 2014 16:09

VanessaE wrote:<snip all>

Someone planted it and the tree grew through the water. I know this funny bug :)

EDIT: there's no air needed to let them grow
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Oct 11, 2014 16:20

No air needed to grow, explains the bug entirely. I thought I had that solved ages ago.

kidmondo

IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

by kidmondo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 03:32

Okay, now i know this is a strange request.... Could you take an edit from this mod so it is just the leaves and the palm tree, and not make the saplings there, so only placed ones will be there?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Mon Nov 17, 2014 14:16

I'm not sure I understand your question.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

kidmondo

IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

by kidmondo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 19:10

lol, its fine...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Dec 19, 2014 02:41

Small update: due to fixes in the engine, separate plantlike-specific leaves images are obsolete and so these have been phased out. HDX users, I've removed them from that texture pack also.

themtsurvivor

by themtsurvivor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:34

I found a bug in item_tweaks that prevents changing the setting attract_radius...

line 191
               for _, object in ipairs(minetest.get_objects_inside_radius(playerPosition, 3)) do

it should be....

for _, object in ipairs(minetest.get_objects_inside_radius(playerPosition, attractRadius)) do

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Sat Feb 14, 2015 16:15

I recently ran into a nasty bug with world generation with More Trees and Minetest 4.11, I get huge boxes in the sky made up of a single block type (based on what mods are enabled).

Here is the link to my original bug report on it:

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11219

That thread also shows how I figured out the possible area of the bug.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 14, 2015 22:51

That was due to a Minetest engine bug which has since been fixed. Update to a recent development build of Minetest, or just wait for 0.4.12 to come out.

CWz

by CWz » Sun Feb 15, 2015 09:04

Can't seem to get that bug to occur on 0.4.11 stable

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Tue Feb 17, 2015 17:21

What would be a good Dev build of Minetest 4.11 that works well on a Windows 7 based system?

I like having the More Trees mod, it adds more variety to the world, good landmarks to see from a distance or interesting terrain generation, and fun challenges when trying to build around the huge trees or making them part of the structure.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases