[Mod] Achievements [2.3] [awards] – UI support, more awards

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Achievements [2.3] [awards] – UI support, more awa

by Wuzzy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 17:14

I can confirm the bug reported by texmex.

I have a question to the players here (because I added to the achievements): What do you think about the current set of default achivements in this mod?
Are they good/interesting/boring?
Which achievements do you like/hate?
Do you have ideas for new achievements (for Minetest Game only)?
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

im-poke

IRC: poke
In-game: poke

by im-poke » Sun Mar 05, 2017 21:05

Cook
Cook/bake/melt 125 things
Chef
Cook/bake/melt 250 things
Top Chef
Cook/bake/melt 500 things

How 'bout dat?
ARE YOU A NYAN CAT?????
--ABJ

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 03:12

Meh, I personally think it's too boring and uncreative. But I think the general idea for adding cooking achievements in general is good. An achievement for cooking the first iron lump would make sense. I also miss an achievement for cooking bread. Bread is unique because it has the highest cooking time in Minetest Game. I think the bread achievement could replace the achievement for simply eating bread.

Technically, the achivement could be triggered whenever the player takes the target item from the output slot of the furnace.

I generally dislike achievements which basically just ask the player to repeat boring/trivial task XYZ a big number of times. Small numbers are excusable but not very large numbers which end up just in repetitive work instead of playing. This is something more for a statistics mod, really.
Good achievements should be about actual milestones in the game. You know, when the player actually *achieved* something. :-) Like finding the first diamond ore, or mining the first real mese block.

But yeah, I gotta admit, I'm not entirely unguilty of the “large numbers achievements” and maybe I should contribute code to fix this. But at least I hope the numbers are not annoyingly high that it is a pressing problem. That's why I also asked for opinions on the existing achievements.

im-poke

IRC: poke
In-game: poke

by im-poke » Mon Mar 06, 2017 03:56

Okay!
Howzabout this:

Trying to bake something...
Baked your first bread

Look, its molten!
Melting your first lump

Cooking..
Roasting something from a food mod

No! Not the annoying song!
Dig a Nyan Cat Block
ARE YOU A NYAN CAT?????
--ABJ

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:23

Yeah, those are better.

+ A little secret

I think the third achievement (“Cooking..”) should be implemented in the food mod instead, maybe you can ask the make of this mod to add a simple achievement.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 14:03

I quite like the current achievements. I seldom check the list, so it's a nice surprise each time I get them. The best ones are the qualitative ones however, not the "I've dug a 1000 iron".

I'd like to see achievements tied to mobs_redo, but that's on that mods author to add I guess.
I spend all my days going down to the mines. Under the ground where the sun never shines. Breaking my back I put heat in your house. I’ve got the roar of a digtron, the breath of a mouse.

poikilos

GitHub: poikilos
In-game: poikilos

by poikilos » Tue Mar 12, 2019 19:58

xisd wrote:Hi, I made 2 new PR for the french translation. One for the translated strings and the other with formspec adjustment because french strings are longer.
(I actually did that some time ago but it was messy and I made a mistake on github that caused me to re-fork re-edit, and re-PR, so that was finally a good thing)

I also made a small mod to add a node "awards board" to open the awards window when clicked.
https://github.com/xisd/awards_board
(That was originally a fork but now it is a separate mod dependent to this one)

I have preserved this at https://gitlab.com/poikilos/awards_board since xisd is no longer on GitHub. I also pm'd him so I'll post again if he provides a new link.
:edit: xisd got back to me. Since xisd has reposted the repo to https://framagit.org/xisd-minetest/awards_board so I deleted my copy from GitLab (also since GitLab hadn't implemented e-mail anonymization yet).

Previous

Return to Mod Releases