[Mod] Multinode [20120810] [multinode]

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48

Yeah i might have forgotten about a few error/chat messages :p but anyways the mod is due for a code cleanup, i have two different functional methods of creating hollowspheres tucked in there lol lots of commented out code to either prune or use and i want to evolve the node-based sphere gen to handle all the shapes and settings combinations. in this particular case, code efficiency translates into being able to generate larger shapes with less wait/repetition. :-)
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:51

Neuromancer wrote:
mauvebic wrote:update posted - added neuromancers' cylinder function times every axis :-)

Awesome! Thanks for adding that. Please update the instructions in the first post to indicate that /thickness and /radius can and should be used for the cylinder commands as well. I checked and these seem to work. It was cool building some underground cylinders out of air.

You might want to fix the messages I got wrong initially.
description = "spawn a hollow sphere", should be: "spawn a cylinder along the x-axis"

and
minetest.chat_send_player(name, "spawning...larger spheres = more time, may need to retry if partial spawn")
should be:
minetest.chat_send_player(name, "spawning...larger cylinders= more time, may need to retry if partial spawn")

I tried making some tunnels, but it didn't seem to do anything. Any chance you can paste the commands you ran?

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:09

It took me some time to figure out how he did it too :P since there's no full cylinder function, just hollow ones. :P

but what i think he did was set thickness to maximum (i think its either the radius or diameter, try it out on a test world first) and ran x/zcylinder specifying "air" where the nodename would go :-)

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:20

I tried that. Nothing happened (except the mod telling me it would do something). Do I have to change thickness or will the default 12 work?

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:51

set the radius to 24 and thickness to 12 and try it again

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 14:37

cornernote wrote:I tried that. Nothing happened (except the mod telling me it would do something). Do I have to change thickness or will the default 12 work?

Here's what I did:

enable freemove:
"k"
go about 15 underground:
hit "e" 15 times

/p0
/radius 7
/thickness 7
/length 100
/xcylinder air

Then everything goes black because you are underground.
Disable freemove:
"k"
and you will fall to the floor of the tunnel. Then just place some torches on the floor so you see something other than black.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 11, 2012 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 14:55

mauvebic wrote:It took me some time to figure out how he did it too :P since there's no full cylinder function, just hollow ones. :P

but what i think he did was set thickness to maximum (i think its either the radius or diameter, try it out on a test world first) and ran x/zcylinder specifying "air" where the nodename would go :-)

Practicing with a test world is critical. I wish there was an undo option with this mod because you can really do some serious crazy stuff with it if you are not careful. But even just thinking about how to implement undo makes my head hurt. ;)
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 11, 2012 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Sat Aug 11, 2012 18:28

mauvebic wrote:@Temperest
mine is almost the same format, except i dont save param2 or node metadata, and instead of spaces i use special characters. The only thing i need to mull over is weather to write import/export functions or simply convert my format. Though i need to know if there are any strings/licensing issues attached to using WE formats? (i doubt it but w/ my luck id rather be safe than sorry lol)

Saving param1 allows you to do things like keep torch, furnace, and sign orientation, while keeping param2 can help sometimes with certain mods that store things in there. Node metadata isn't stored with the WorldEdit format though. It was designed to be hand-editable - if you wanted to, you could write a WorldEdit save quite easily with just a text editor (and MeseconEdit can export it really easily too).

Anyways you should be the one to decide whether you want to add support for the WE format. Of course, you have full permission to use it, not like it's something that could be copyrighted anyways :P

mauvebic wrote:It also occurs to me there are practically two of us working on multinode, and two of yous working on worldedit :P one of these days we should team up and create the next generation of worldedit/multinode. Alternatively im thinking of putting some of my own mods on github, if i can figure how that site works lol

I agree! The WorldEdit repo is here, feel free to either contribute or use the code in Multinode (it is AGPLv3 though, so keep that in mind). The WorldEdit API can easily be extended to add support for all the good stuff in Multinode, I think it would be great to merge everything into an awesome world editor!
Last edited by Temperest on Sat Aug 11, 2012 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Aug 11, 2012 23:10

I Noticed after rotating/flipping the doors and stairs were the wrong orientation.

cornernote

by cornernote » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23

[REQUEST] - square spirals

I am using some LUA from here to generate start positions in a spiral format. It occurred to me that square spirals would be a nice addition to multinode. Would make awesome patterns for walls and floors with minimal effort.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:43

Do you have an image to demonstrate what you're talking about? im alot more visual :-)

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:15

cornernote wrote:[REQUEST] - square spirals

I am using some LUA from here to generate start positions in a spiral format. It occurred to me that square spirals would be a nice addition to multinode. Would make awesome patterns for walls and floors with minimal effort.

I'm thinking cones would be way more useful. Like for castle tower roofs, rockets etc.

cornernote

by cornernote » Thu Aug 16, 2012 15:18

Neuromancer wrote:

I'm thinking cones would be way more useful. Like for castle tower roofs, rockets etc.

like rectangular pyramids ? or circular ?

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 17:38

cornernote wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

like rectangular pyramids ? or circular ?

I was thinking circular cones, because they are next to impossible to do by hand. You can do rectangular pyramids by hand, they just take a long time. But I wind up building rectangular pyramids all the time for roofs, so those would be nice too.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 16, 2012 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest

by Temperest » Sat Aug 18, 2012 05:00

By the way, I noticed Multinode is using the "brute force" approach to making cylinders and spheres. I just added support for cylinders in WorldEdit, using the Bresenham Circle Algorithm, and it's significantly faster than the brute force approach.

A version for spheres is also available here.

Anyways, the reason I mention this is because I'd like Multinode users to have faster cylinders as well. If the developers of this mod wish to, I can help them implement this.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:55

I dont really see a point in updating this mod further. Every time i try to differentiate this mod from worldedit, the new features show up in worldedit a few days later.

I'd be more enthusiastic if you just made a new mod combining the features you like about both, rather than making them look both the same :-/

Temperest

by Temperest » Sun Aug 19, 2012 14:46

Well, seems to me that both users want the same features :)

I think the Multinode interface is pretty neat, there are several situations where it's more convenient to use it over WE. That said, WE has an extensive API that provides really easy and fast ways to do node operations.

So my idea is this: what about a Multinode interface that uses the WorldEdit API? That way users get to use the interface they want, and everyone benefits from fast node operations.

What do you think?
WorldEdit 1.0 released

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sun Aug 19, 2012 15:04

Theres enough material to create a next-gen map editor mod :-) Squares, circles and cylinders are not the only shapes either. And it would make sense that some of the features work as plugins/modules.

But right now you make changes to WE and ask me to do the same here, when you could write something thats reverse/cross-compatible and take credit for all the work you're putting in, Its not like you dont have ideas on how to improve both :-)

Spots

by Spots » Sun Aug 19, 2012 15:36

imo i like the Multinode better then the WE because the commands are easier i tried using WE and just go so losts (maybe because i like the keep it simple method) but mauvebic is right ass i've seen it every time he makes Multinode a little different WE seems to get the same things. But hey mauvebic keep up the great work i'm using your stuuf and will continue to do so thanks tons!

Temperest

by Temperest » Sun Aug 19, 2012 15:41

mauvebic wrote:Theres enough material to create a next-gen map editor mod :-) Squares, circles and cylinders are not the only shapes either. And it would make sense that some of the features work as plugins/modules.

But right now you make changes to WE and ask me to do the same here, when you could write something thats reverse/cross-compatible and take credit for all the work you're putting in, Its not like you dont have ideas on how to improve both :-)

You're right, but everything is compatible. I've already stated that you have permission to use WorldEdit code for your mod if you wish to.

What about merging the two mods? Multiedit, or Worldnode :P
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 15:49

I like 'em both. And they appeal to different audiences. WE is probably better on a server due to security features. MN is better for the home user as it's simpler to use. The way I see it, you are both making each other's mods better. And this type of mod is probably the most important mod out there. Giving users spheres and cylinders was a great boon to the community, coming up with a faster algorithm is another boon.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sun Aug 19, 2012 16:26

I dont know what WE's license is but yeah you should merge. If WE draws faster and my interface is simpler, then it seems like a good match. Id rather add shapes via modules to a new mapedit mod than continue to add functions here and still have to maintain the base while you have to maintain interoperability, it would save us both some time :-)

I have no preference for WE or MN. MN started out as a simple tool to fill in walls for madblocks, it was even called "fill". By the time my fill tool became 3D i realized thats what worldedit did. ( i couldn't figure it out from his screenshots, should have used something other than torches lol) So from there i tried to differentiate because i didn't want sfan to think i was trying to replace WE. But yeah, if theyre gonna keep looking the same, merge 'em :-) You could keep both command interfaces, write some sort of simple chat-command API and define both sets of commands within it.
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Aug 19, 2012 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest

by Temperest » Sun Aug 19, 2012 16:38

Cool! If you have a GitHub account, I can add you to the repository.

Multinode interface is on the todo list now. You can see everything left to be done here.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

fgr

by fgr » Mon Sep 17, 2012 22:28

is this mod still under developement?

I just implemented it and i think i have bricked my map. We have water in the map and now the tube gets floating over ... due leaky stones or what ever .... if i place new objects at that point where the water is flowing then it will stop but i have to fill the whole part of the tube ...

So what i am missing ... what i did wrong? any hints would be appreciated....

thanks

fgr

by fgr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 08:05

just ignore my remarks ... its not a multinode habbit. watersources are rellay ugly if you cant find the source ... ;-) so just wiped the whole map with cobble stone and the error is done....

Spots

by Spots » Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:51

anyone have a download of this still i didnt see a link in the first post and i seem to have lost my copy ...yes i tend to keep all my minetest mod downloads old and new

Topywo

by Topywo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 09:45

Spots wrote:anyone have a download of this still i didnt see a link in the first post and i seem to have lost my copy ...yes i tend to keep all my minetest mod downloads old and new

It's part of the mm2 gamepack, that's on mauvebics' site. It's under the name mbbase.

Direct download of the pack: http://ompldr.org/vZ3F5Mw/mm2-game-121812.zip

More info about multinode: https://sites.google.com/site/mauvemods/home/using-multinode

Spots

by Spots » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50

thanks tons !!

Previous

Return to Old Mods