[Mod] garden/farming [garden]

Casimir

[Mod] garden/farming [garden]

by Casimir » Fri Mar 22, 2013 22:04

This is based on an old version PilzAdams farming, but developed in a different way.

Plants:
- Weed
- Wheat
- Cotton

Crafts:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mm
_s
_s

m = material
s = stick
Output: Hoe (wood, stone, steel)

Dig dirt with the hoe, and you will have fields.
On the fields there grows weed.
Dig the weed to get wheat and cotton.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
ww
ww

w = wheat
Output: Flour

Using flour on water gives you dough.
You can cook dough to get bread.

ccc
ccc
ccc

c = cotton
Output: Wool

While wheat and cotton are what you harvest, they are also the seeds. So you can start a farm even without water, just dig the weeds. But with water you can improve it and grow the plants themselves.

download:
tar.gz:
http://ompldr.org/vaHVudQ/garden_20130322.tar.gz

zip:
http://ompldr.org/vaHVudg/garden_20130322.zip

licence:
Graphics by PilzAdam, rubenwardy and Calinou are WTFPL.
Cotton and hoes are cc-by-sa Casimir.
Code is cc-by-sa.

depends: default

Trivia:
When using my hungermod, the small garden in the screenshot is enough to keep you alive, but two of them are better (RL pedant).
Last edited by Casimir on Fri Mar 22, 2013 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 13:33

Nice. What makes it different to PilzAdam's farming?

Casimir

by Casimir » Sat Mar 23, 2013 15:14

- It is much smaller (only the three mentioned plants)
- Less items (see screenshot)
- Bugfixes
- Weed has a use, you get seeds from it. In "farming" it just hinders you to plant something.
- The hoes are now actual tools, you can use them to dig. In "farming" you just klick on dirt and it turns to farming soil, in "garden" you dig the dirt, then it turns to soil. This way a steel-hoe is faster then a stone-hoe then a wooden hoe so using a better on makes now sense.
- You don't get seeds by making farming soil.
- New and alternated textures. It is easier to distinguish between wheat and weed, not fully grown cotton and fully grown cotton.
- Cotton plants drop cotton (instead of cotton-seeds and strings).
- Wheat seeds and harvested wheat are the same, just wheat. Same for cotton.
- You can plant the plants on soil and wet soil, so you don't plant one on top of another, or other strange things.
- Easier way to make bread (see crafting).

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 16:17

This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Don't ever save anything as a JPEG.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Mar 23, 2013 16:57

That you get seeds from hitting dirt and turning it into farming ground was something that bothered me as well. "garden" might be a bit misleading as a mod name - corn would be one of the last things I'd expect in a garden. Flowers or farming_plus-plants would be more realistic there.

Wheat seeds and the wheat you make flour for breads out of ought to be the same. That's good. Harvested wheat (ear) is a great source for straw! How about the following approach: Harvest wheat and get the harvested wheat from farming, hit a stone with that to get straw and corn (=threshing), put the corn either on soil to get new plants or put it into a mill to get flour.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Josh

by Josh » Sun Mar 24, 2013 02:02

+1 harvesting weed and getting seeds is alot easier. It was getting annoying how you would plough some dirt in Pilzadam's version
and sometimes get no seeds.

Casimir

by Casimir » Mon Mar 25, 2013 20:31

12Me21 wrote:I added a mese hoe:

Will be included into the next release. (Straw too.)

Sokomine wrote:"garden" might be a bit misleading as a mod name - corn would be one of the last things I'd expect in a garden. Flowers or farming_plus-plants would be more realistic there.

I once heard the quote "Either the world becomes a garden or it becomes a battlefield." (German: "Entweder die Welt wird ein Garten oder ein Schlachtfeld." While the translation "battlefield" might be misleading here.) And I like gardening, thats mainly why I called it "garden". Also I will add more plants which resemble more your "stereotype" on how a garden has to be ;) What I like about my real garden is that I can eat and use it, so why not corn, it's good to start with when there is no place to buy bread. (New mod-idea: Dungeonmaster selling bread :D and when you don't buy any he (she? it?) will shoot fireballs.)

my plans so far:
- some fixes (already done)
- compatibility to the original farming mod, so you can use both. That requires new textures and renaming (some ideas what to replace cotton with?, should I?).
- compatibility to other mods (to make it more usefull)
- second way to obtain plants: put dirt and grass (default:grass, default:junglegrass) into a pot, place it somewhere and wait, then a small (random chosen) plant will grow, that you then can bed out (on grass, dirt, gardensoil). I want to differ those plants you get from weed (more basic ones, wheat, cotton and so on) and those you get from pots (herbs and flowers, e.g. lavender and thyme) so you have a bit of controll, and a bit of randomness.
I'm open for more (creative) ideas. Especially on how to connect it to other mods.

One problem: The original intention was to create a lightweight farming mod that can be used for some basic/common gameplay. Now I have a lot of ideas that will turn it into a real gardenmod, but I'm not sure if I want to split it.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 13:13

Casimir wrote:...

- compatibility to other mods (to make it more usefull)

I'm open for more (creative) ideas. Especially on how to connect it to other mods.

I will added support in the food mod for this mod.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Mar 26, 2013 13:19

Did you change the node/item names or replace them?
I can add support for this in survival_hunger.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 15:40

Eatable plants are perfectly ok for a garden. It doesn't have to be flowers :-) Just when you grow corn, you usually do that in large amounts to get enough of it for more than one bread...and then it's called a field. Cotton fits better there. Might be grown for decoration or (historically) for home use.

Casimir wrote:New mod-idea: Dungeonmaster selling bread :D and when you don't buy any he (she? it?) will shoot fireballs.

Aggressive way of selling ,-) Though where would they grow the corn for their bread? The DMs from mobf seem more like miners. They ought to sell ores and have a huge demand for bread.

For my cottages, growing cabbage and grean beans would be fitting. Amongst all those other farming_plus plants.

The small farms of my random_buildings mod are a much more complex way to replace the "hit ground with hoe to get seeds" way but have the same goal.

Please extend your mod and include more plants. That idea with pots for pre-growing herbs sounds exellent as well! Perhaps you can add support for the hydro-mod as well? Its way of keeping the basic plants and just harvesting is fine for some plants. I'd like to see a mod that supports the diverse farming options out there without having 10 versions of strawberries :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 23:59

I'll toss in my 2 cents (you have been warned, now stay awake :0) ).

Farming vs Garden

PilzAdam already has an established mod called "Farming", so the name "Farming" is already taken. However, that doesn't mean you can't use a hyphenated name, ie: "garden-farming" or "farming-garden".

Semantics

My grandparents had a farm, almost a 1000 acres in size, where they grew corn and soybeans. Behind their house they had a vegetable garden and around the front of the house they had flower beds.

So I've come to think of a "farm" as a large, industrial-sized, mass production operation of single crop fields that span miles/kilometers.

A "garden" is more personal-sized.

A flower "bed" is mini, "pots" are micro.

Corn

Here in the US, corn is not just for livestock. In vegetable gardens it is not uncommon to find sweet corn, pop corn, and regular and multi-colored corn (for corn meal, autumn decoration, mash for brewing, to sell, etc.)

Light-weight or Extensive

What about making the mod into a mod pack by adding "modpack.txt" and separating the elements into folders that can be deleted by the user? That way the user has the choice of how light-weight or extensive they want the botanical and agricultural aspect of their world(s) to be.

Perhaps even set the modpack up with the intent that folders will be removed before use. Some examples:

The "survival" folder is a modpack itself of survival oriented farming/gardening. If you want to play "survival" style, remove the other folders because they contain some plants and tools that are in the "survival" folder.

The "home garden" folder is a modpack containing some duplicated plants and tools found in the "survival" folder as well as other plants and tools. Remove all the other folders and keep the "home garden" folder. The "home garden" is intenended for enhancing the immediate land scape around a build for growing flowers, fruits, and vegatables.

The "house plants" folder is a modpack, containing some plants and tools that are duplicated in the other folders, so delete those folders and leave only the "house plants" folder. The "house plants" modpack is for potted plants found in buildings and on porches.

The "full modpack" is a folder containing all plants and tools. Delete the other folders because they contain duplicated plants and tools. This is the option to use if you want everything from farms to outside gardens and inside house plants.

As for farms... those are really, really big gardens.

A tulip farm to grow and harvest tulips and tulip bulbs to sell to other players.

Build a farmers' market on the outskirts of town.

Create a botanical garden center for the citizens of your town/world and server tourists to visit and admire.

Has anyone built a grain silo in Minetest?

Just some ideas to add to the discussion.
.: Minetest 0.4.14 ~ Linux Mint ~ A moka pot, a French press, a dirty coffee cup, and a spoiled-rotten kitty :.
Visit our Minetest server at: LinuxGaming2.com, port 30000
Screenshots, overview maps, and server info at: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5684
My blog: http://lazyjminetest.blogspot.com/

Return to Old Mods