External tools or export scripts for editing schematics

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

External tools or export scripts for editing schematics

by MirceaKitsune » Sun May 17, 2015 23:43

As some might remember, I have a city generator mod called Structures, which although dead for some time will be alive again. I also wish to create biomes containing custom trees and perhaps other decorations. For this reason, I'm looking for an easy way to create schematics for Minetest. Although my mod or Worldedit make it easy to export pieces of the world to schematics, creating them directly in Minetest is a bit more difficult than using a specialized 3D tool (like Blender or gtkRadiant).

So I was wondering if anyone made any external tools or export scripts, that would make it possible to create Minetest schematics in a different application. I'd be particularly interested in a Blender export script, which can interpret textured cubes or empties I place in the scene as nodes at given positions and export directly to a *.mts file.

Anyone know of such a script or tool? Thanks!

Sokomine

Re: External tools or export scripts for editing schematics

by Sokomine » Mon May 18, 2015 16:18

There was some discussion about exporting models to and from Minetest regarding 3d printers. There was at least one script/mod introduced there. I can't find it right now, but afaik sfan5 wrote it.

As for building the structures directly in MT, you may find my handle_schematics mod useful. It contains that part of mg_villages that deals with schematics (both .mts and WorldEdit files). It can read both and even convert WorldEdit to .mts. The build chest provided (/giveme handle_schematics:build) adds information to the created schematic containing initial rotation of the building (who ever cares which direction the front door faces when creating a building?) and how far it is burried relative to the chest. All that makes it easier to...well...handle schematics than just with WorldEdit. When you spawn a house that way, the place where it's put to is saved, so that you can restore it if the house wasn't what you where looking for. The nodes the house will be constructed of can be changed before it is placed.
A list of my mods can be found here.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:39

Sokomine wrote:I can't find it right now, but afaik sfan5 wrote it.

https://github.com/sfan5/mt2obj
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Thu May 21, 2015 16:49

My Structures mod has the ability to export a section of the world to a Minetest schematic, so I don't think I need any other tools to do this from within Minetest. I'm only wondering about ways to do it from external 3D editors (such as Blender), because those are easier to work with in many cases.

Return to Minetest-Related