Luacontrollers in real life...

jogag

GitHub: jogag
IRC: jogag
In-game: jogag

Luacontrollers in real life...

by jogag » Sun Dec 13, 2015 17:45

I have some microcontrollers around and I like programming MT's virtual luacontrollers, so I decided to port these luacontrollers to real life. Maybe with pistons, LCDs, and meselamps, along to all other mesecons devices.

I decided to use a STM32F103C8T6, which is a tiny 32-bit microcontroller available for low price. I had two of these (one was a JTAG programmer, the other a development board), but I didn't want to make a new lua implementation.
And I found the eLua project, which is made for STM32 processors, but the C8T6 hasn't got enough flash memory and RAM...
And the C8T6 has a lot of useless extras for luacontrollers: built-in RTC (but resets at every power on!), and even CAN (the "digiline" used in cars). These are just two of the built-in things.

Then, I thought about using an ATtiny25/45/85. These are very simple 8-bit microcontrollers with very low flash memory (2/4/8 KB), but you can't use them with a real-time interpreter and they can't be programmed over USB (but there are some cheats to run a software USB on them, like the Adafruit Trinket which is based on the Tiny85).
What about some editor that compiles lua into C and machine code (with gcc), like arduino, and then some programmer block (like my digiline stuff mod xD) or programming adapter to program them?

Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion (self-contained STM32 or very-cheap ATtiny), wants to help or simply rate this project, can post here.
And also some design for other components.
Last edited by jogag on Mon Dec 14, 2015 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

Re: Luacontrollers in real life...

by kaeza » Mon Dec 14, 2015 14:45

Not mine, but I recall user Jeija did something like this.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Return to Minetest-Related