eidy - love learning -> minetest educational game

lordfingle

GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

eidy - love learning -> minetest educational game

by lordfingle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29

This is a post to let the community know about "eidy", a project that is intended to transform minetest into a learning app that teaches basic literacy, numeracy and writing to kids that don't necessarily have access to teachers or even schools.

The project is a submission to the XPRIZE for GLOBAL LEARNING, an attempt to create an open source learning app that will be deployed on (hopefully) millions of children in the 3rd world on android computers. We chose minetest because the LGPL licence is compatible with XPRIZE requirements.

Technically most of the work is on serverside mods, although we will probably create our own client to provide a simpler look and feel for the kids.

I would like to say at the outset that I am very impressed so far with the quality and generosity of the community. (and may that continue ;) ) . Special thanks so far to paramat for the cool Savannah generation, also to tenplus and stu for their responsiveness on issues.

For our part I'd like you to know that much of our code will be developed as standalone mods (where appropriate) that can be reused by the community. Although the project is intended for usage on singleplayer machines, all our mods have been created to be compatible with servers. Hope these will be useful.

If anyone is interested in the project and would like to help out, feel free to reply to this thread or drop me a line. I would also like to know if people are interested in writing mods or creating models for the project. Most of this work would be immediately released as mods to benefit the community as a whole.

This will be a learning app like no other, in that we still want it to be a fun gaming experience. That means embracing the building and exploration aesthetic of minetest and extending it. The game is more of the rpg genre of minetest, so you'll see alot in that vien.

I have lots of things I'd like to accomplish with minetest, which I will add to this post in the future. For now, here's some interesting technical things we are building:

• text to speech (client only)
  • awesome dungeon generation
  • extended questing
  • animal capture using letters (it's complicated)
  • phonics
  • educational puzzles
  • swahili version
  • better android ui experience

I will be setting a server up at some point to allow existing minetest people to easily drop in and take a look, although the default experience is really oriented toward singleplayer at this stage.

Our app is initially targeted at android and windows.

I've spent over a year on minetest so far and have really enjoyed the experience. I look forward to engaging with the community more.

I'm also interested in reaching out to the educators who already use minetest and seeing if we can work together to make things even better.

*NEW LOOK*
Here's what the updated Android UI looks like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhvS39dkoUI

Our website is at http://eidy.org (more info coming soon)

Facebook : https://facebook.com/eidyplace
Twitter : https://twitter.com/eidyapp

Attachments
screenshot_20160817_194211.jpg
Letter block
screenshot_20160817_194211.jpg (11.82 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
screenshot_20160817_195145.jpg
Tower
screenshot_20160817_195145.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
screenshot_20160819_131234.jpg
Door Puzzle
screenshot_20160819_131234.jpg (11.09 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
Last edited by lordfingle on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

Re: eidy - love learning -> minetest educational game

by ExeterDad » Sat Sep 10, 2016 13:36

Intriguing. Looking forward to seeing how this works out. ;)
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

lordfingle

by lordfingle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 14:23

So do we ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 18:57

Looks nice by what i've seen in the webpage.
Looks like this will be a good game, can't wait to see!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 19:11

Sounds good!

I've been working on a quest mod (adds formspec dialog to show quest progress, adds goals to complete quests) and a procedural quest generator mod (actually makes the quests)

You can find the former in rpgtest. The latter is a wip and only on my laptop (I'm currently working on making npcs give quests)

lordfingle

by lordfingle » Sun Sep 11, 2016 02:08

Great, I'll take a look. This came at a good time.
I also have created a quests mod that extends the original "quests" - I use a special quest block for assignment and completion, along with a formspec dialog similar to yours.
I'll review your mod before submitting it.

Attachments
screenshot_20160911_120709.jpg
screenshot_20160911_120709.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 2696 times

lordfingle

by lordfingle » Thu Feb 09, 2017 01:56

Thanks again to the community members for helping me out with the supplemental vids I created to support my XPRIZE submission. I ended up putting the minetest content in it's own video.

Submitted to youtube for your viewing pleasure here:

https://youtu.be/6SF60clEWkU

Other vids:
Eidy Overview - https://youtu.be/cSf9bm1G4KQ
Introduction to eidy - https://youtu.be/2Xf6H-L4YKQ
Handwriting - https://youtu.be/QnHimBRYm60
Last edited by lordfingle on Thu Feb 09, 2017 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:51

I enjoyed the vid! I liked how you animated the narrative :P
Good luck with XPRIZE
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Return to Minetest-Related