Project node_box generator

tkerwel

Project node_box generator

by tkerwel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 07:20

Hello,

as you guys (girls) are so bussy doing mods and almost everything i like to do is already done, i have to find something usefull for minetest. as i like the node_box with all its posibilitys, i decide to build something like a generator for the node_box in minetest.

whats the goal ?

there should be a output wich can easly used in the node_box code wich define the cubic inside.

node_box = {
type = "fixed",
fixed = { {x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2 },
},

there are two posible outputs.

1. a text out put for the model, so you can copy and past this directly into the code

{x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2 },
{x3, y3, z3, x4, y4, z4},
{xn, yn, zn, xn+1, yn+1, zn+1 },

this is in the moment the main goal, caus i dont need any change or additional script for lua.

2. a routine in lua wich is able to read a arrray from a file

node_box = {
type = "fixed",
fixed = arraybox,
},

the coding will be done in c++, i will use visual c++ express 2010 and irrlicht 1.7 for the project, at the begining i only support windows, maybe if other ppl want to join this can be transfer to linux, or i will do that later. but for the moment i dont have a IDE for linux set up to do this.

so far i only set up visual c++ together with irrlicht 1.7 as engie and did a first test if all the include, libs and linkers are working. so nothing serious done yet.

from time to time i will use this thread to inform you abt the progress. as i said, my time is limited so it might be not that fast as i like. cause in september a big project at work starts and i am the projektleader, as there is a deadline for december, i will not be able to do a lot during that time.

anyway, if somebody like to work into this project, there are plenty of work to share

just send job application and curricula vitae to me, so i can see if our biorhytmus fits together ...*gg*
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

Ragnarok

by Ragnarok » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:06

Great idea. I'm starting to learn LUA and the generator will certainly accelerate the creation of (complicated) models.

xyz

by xyz » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:30

Ragnarok wrote:Great idea. I'm starting to learn LUA and the generator will certainly accelerate the creation of (complicated) models.

You should not create complicated models using nodeboxes.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:48

xyz wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:Great idea. I'm starting to learn LUA and the generator will certainly accelerate the creation of (complicated) models.

You should not create complicated models using nodeboxes.

there is a contrast betwenn the original goal of minetest (should even run on old computers) and the use complicated node_boxes or to much of them. this really consum lots of calculating power of the "minetest engine"..

if somebody really wants a " advance" minetest there is only one way. inside of the orininal c++ code must be changes done. maybe somebody know or like to do that.

irrlicht the 3d engine of minetest has much more possibilities as minetest is using in the moment. so there are lots of "advance" stuff possible like shaders or more complicateted 3D models. just somebody has to change the code.

but then it should be clear, that the goal to play this on slow, old computers is not possible anymore.

the node_box generator is only a tool for minetest, how complicated or how deep the detail level of the node_box modell will be, is always a question the user has to ask himself.
Last edited by tkerwel on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 17:57

Good Idea!
Its hard to create Nodeboxes
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Zero23

by Zero23 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 02:05

great idea
I am the God of Destruction..e_e..But I Like building too.. >:D

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 17:19

How much have you done?
You are welcome to help:

https://github.com/rubenwardy/The-NodeBox-Generator

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 07:20

@rubenwardy

sorry for the late reply to questions.
as i said in the start i am in a project and cant spent much time for this until december, so in the moment i only set up the enviroment for developing this. means get visual c++ running with irrlicht and all the other stuff i need for starting.

before december i wont have a chance to do more....

the question for me is, when i saw that you are following the same idea, if i really have to spent time to go on with this ?

my main goal is to come back into programming, so i was looking for a goal wich is worth to spent time.

anyway you and sapier are doing a great job... i guess i look for something different which is usefull for minetest.

means my project is closed.

Return to Minetest-Related