[Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.2.0]

namandixit

GitHub: namandixit
In-game: namandixit

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.0]

by namandixit » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:52

On Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit with Minetest 0.4.9, I recieve this error:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
ERROR: ...$HOME/.minetest/games/tutorials/mods/default/player.lua:146: attempt to call method 'set local animation' (a nil value)

Any pointers why this might be happening? (I am a newcomer to minetest and not familiar with the nitty-gritty details right now)
Also, the error message displays
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
set local animation
instead of
set_local_animation
is this expected?

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Tue Mar 24, 2015 13:10

namandixit wrote:On Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit with Minetest 0.4.9, I recieve this error:

Get the latest Minetest. Here's a script for building it from source.

namandixit

GitHub: namandixit
In-game: namandixit

by namandixit » Tue Mar 24, 2015 13:50

Calinou wrote:Get the latest Minetest.

Thanks. Small things...

Spenk

In-game: Spenk

by Spenk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 22:52

Hi Wuzzy,

My kids love Minetest. So I decided to translate your tutorial world to dutch.
Well actually they learn faster than I translate, but I'm sure there are other people who can benefit.

I chose to explain the english mining terms instead of just plainly translating them, because in the end they will keep popping up in subgames anyway.
Furthermore, I decided to use an informal tone, which is more friendly to my kids and probably more like dutch nature and gaming nature in general, but it does not comply with the german (siezen) and the french (vouvoyer) translations.

As for the german translation, I keep seeing those garbage characters for diacritics (Umlaut) in gameplay and in the repo. Probably that is just an encoding problem, but I don't have any problems with my dutch diacritics while playing the game. So, if the messy encoding isn't a fix for some older version of intllib, I'm willing to adjust it in the german translation.

The files:
area: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691900/
arrow_signs: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691946/
castle: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691954/
cottages: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691960/
creative: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691977/
darkage: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691982/
default: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691989/
supplemental: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691993/
tutorial: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691998/

Cheers,

Henk

(Next time I'll setup SSH to your repo .. this pasting around is time consuming)

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 23:43

As for the german translation, I keep seeing those garbage characters for diacritics (Umlaut) in gameplay and in the repo. Probably that is just an encoding problem, but I don't have any problems with my dutch diacritics while playing the game. So, if the messy encoding isn't a fix for some older version of intllib, I'm willing to adjust it in the german translation.

Weird. I can't reproduce this problem. Does anybody else have a problem with this?

I chose to explain the english mining terms instead of just plainly translating them, because in the end they will keep popping up in subgames anyway.

I don't quite understand what exactly you did there. Or why. Which terms are you talking about?
Also, I think that English should not dominate everything. If your language has a proper way to express a certain concept, then use this instead of forcing English into it.
Please try to avoid changing the meaning of the text while translating. If you are somehow unhappy with the original English strings, please complain and maybe suggest an alternative. If you “fix” the problem in your translation, all other translations including the original text do not benefit from this “fix”.

Furthermore, I decided to use an informal tone, which is more friendly to my kids and probably more like dutch nature and gaming nature in general, but it does not comply with the german (siezen) and the french (vouvoyer) translations.

Well, it depends. I suggest you use the same tone as is used for the Dutch translation of the engine (if there is any). Apart from that, I don't care very much, just try to keep it consistent.

If you have clarified all this, I may include all this into the tutorial. But I try to not stay too much in the way here.

Spenk

In-game: Spenk

by Spenk » Sun Mar 29, 2015 22:20

Also, I think that English should not dominate everything. If your language has a proper way to express a certain concept, then use this instead of forcing English into it.

You're right, but 'crafting' is not easily translated and 'mining' is in the name of the game.
I haven't noticed personal addressing in the engine so far, but I would have to check out sources to be sure.

I'll push the final result including some typo fixes to your repo when I'm done.

Weird. I can't reproduce this problem. Does anybody else have a problem with this?

nl versus de.jpg
diacritics problem in de
nl versus de.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 7012 times

See attachment.

I selected a word with diacritic 'ë' in the left pane, the dutch side .
Left pane shows some garbled german words.
Minetest shows exactly the same characters.

I'm on Windows, haven't tried the tutorial on Linux yet.
The bad encoding is the downloaded package as wel as in the git sources.

Looks as if Unicode text was reread as ASCII somewhere in the process.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 02:23

"haben die Einfuehrung freiwillig verlassen." sounds a bit strange...would the player have been thrown out by force otherwise eventually? :-)

(And yes, there's a reason why I used ue instead of ü...less problematic, works in all situations, but may confuse younger people :-))
A list of my mods can be found here.

trev

In-game: trev

by trev » Sat May 23, 2015 14:55

Wow! This is really good! I downloaded it and had a look around. It will definately make having friends get used to Minetest a lot easier.
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 17:32

Okay, Spenk, I have just looked into the character encoding stuff again and found nothing.

My wild guess is that the problem lies in your system, because I cannot find any flaw with the text file and you are apparently the only one with this problem; nobody else reported one. On my system as well as in my Git repo, all locale files are UTF-8 encoded. I also have just cloned my repository just to be sure; everything seems fine. Are you sure your editor has been showing both files in UTF-8?

Here is a web view from one of the locale files on the public repository:
http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_tutorial_s ... ale/de.txt

If anyone can not see umlauts (“Ä”, “ä”, “Ö”, “ö”, “Ü” and “ü”) on this page but instead weird garbled characters, please say so (preferably with screenshot). But please check you encoding settings first.

Because I can't see any bug on my side, there will be no bugfix release.

"haben die Einfuehrung freiwillig verlassen." sounds a bit strange...would the player have been thrown out by force otherwise eventually? :-)

This should not happen. If anyone gets kicked out of the tutorial by force, please report a bug. ;-)

GeorgD

by GeorgD » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:22

(I'm on a German Win7 x64 system.) I had two problems with the German tutorial:

A) I had to set the LANG environment variable to de_DE, else the tutorial would show up in English, although the system language is German and the game main menu correctly shows up in the German localization.

B) I also had the Umlauts problem, until I converted the file minetest-0.4.12\games\tutorial\mods\tutorial\locale\de.txt from UTF-8 to Western Latin 1 (CP 1252). With that encoding, Umlauts works fine.

DoyleChris

In-game: DoyleChris

by DoyleChris » Sat Jul 25, 2015 19:59

Can't figure out how to get to the map. I am not sure where to put the files. I found that the game on my Linux Mint was in /usr/share/games/minetest, I was able to get the turorial to show up in the game but not the map. And i have tried looking to figure out where to put the worlds folder and i can't figure it out.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:33

DO NOT put your subgames/mods/texture packs in the /usr/share/minetest/ directory. They belong in your home folder, under /home/username/.minetest/{textures/mods/games}. If the folder doesn't exist, create it.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 22:37

Wuzzy wrote: For every change I want to make to the world, I would have it to extract to it from the subgame, install it as an actual world, edit it in Minetest and when I am finished I have to put the updated world back into the subgame again and clean up my worlds folder.

This would mean the worldedit tools need to be improved.

Ideally, you would load up your development world with your previously preselected working area (only needing to have done that step once).

Then every time you want to save the map after you have edited it, you would simply press a command in the worledit interface to export the whole schematic+entities to a file. And you could just keep the development world around (without removing it) so in the future you just open that same world again, make some more changes and press again the command to save (the coordinates for the selected area do not change so you do not have to re-select it again).

It doesn't get much easier than that. And it has the added benefit that if you somehow fuck up your map by mistake while editing it you still can reload the state from the last time you saved without having to even exit that world. Plus you will be able to use Git versioning system to keep track of the changes made to your map.

The nice thing about allowing subgames to produce entire regions by themselves in an easy way like this is that not only could you have tutorials that players can easily reset (or keep multiple instances of) without having to keep around a backup copy of the whole world directory, but you could also do the same for, say, hand-crafted dungeon maps. With the added benefit that you will be able to add some randomness into the mapgen algorithm (imagine if there were slight variations every time you generate a new world for that subgame, different combinations in a maze of completely hand-crafted areas).

Or other subgames could add small tutorials or hand-crafted areas right in the spawnpoint to welcome users and explain the particularities of the subgame before they leave the spawning area to explore the rest of the world.

I think this is a more interesting direction for minetest to take rather than having a special directory for static worlds that get copied over, which would result in less motivation for developing mods that are able to generate huge chunks of completely handcrafted maps as part of their mapgen. Also, world files can be very big and I can imagine the world backup feature being misused with unclean maps that store generated chunks that are basically untouched. The database files always include extra data for optimizing access and I'm not surprised that this map, even though it's relatively small, has a 3.5MB database (for contrast, the complete "minetest_game" is currently 2.1MB).

Imho, there should be an API in the minetest engine to easily export/import entire areas (schematic+entities) to a file in an efficient way (if there isn't already.. or if ".we" files are not efficient enough).
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Aug 22, 2015 15:32

Ferk wrote:Imho, there should be an API in the minetest engine to easily export/import entire areas (schematic+entities) to a file in an efficient way (if there isn't already.. or if ".we" files are not efficient enough).

There's the .mts (minetest schematic) format which is not so diffrent from the actual map format. The engine comes with functions to save and restore such files, but not with any actual commands. You either need WorldEdit, my handle_schematics or something else to actually use it.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Ferk

by Ferk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 00:20

Sokomine wrote:There's the .mts (minetest schematic) format which is not so diffrent from the actual map format.

I did some tests with this, but it didn't work out very well when I imported the whole tutorial map (it was giving me an error saying something like "the uncompressed size is incorrect"). It did work when I copied a smaller area, but neither entities nor things like the content of chests get saved .

Using ".we" files from worldedit the map saves and loads and it does keep the content of chests, but still does not keep entities like the items for the apple catcher or the ingots.

Btw, the size of the saved schematics for the tutorial is way smaller than the size of the tutorial world, specially for the ",mts" (it's 600kb but I'm not sure if it was saved correctly because it doesn't load). The ".we" file is about 110k after compression, imho this is an important point if the tutorial is ever to be bundled with minetest.

Uncompressed the we file is about 2.7MB, though. Still smaller than the world but given how much of a difference it is maybe it would make sense to have it stored as gzip and decompress on world generation? would that affect too much the speed for loading the map? ..after all it's intended to be used only from singleplayer and it will only affect it the first time it's loaded.

Of course it would be better to use a format like mts supported by the engine which is probably faster and smaller, and not depend on the worldedit mod. But for that it should be possible to load big areas without throwing an error and also to be able to save entities and metadata from blocks like chests.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:24

Jeez, so apparently people seriously want me to bundle WorldEdit or something with this subgame, lol. I am currently too lazy to learn this WorldEdit and other stuff.
Sorry, I do not plan to make updates in the near future (I consider the Tutorial itself finished), but if someone else does this packaging stuff nice and cleanly, I probably accept it as well.

JTE

by JTE » Tue Sep 08, 2015 04:32

Collected 11 diamonds, 2 wagon wheels, and all the ladders. My map is now a mess of sequence-breaking cobblestone staircases and that one wooden background room with nothing in it is full of holes.

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Fri Sep 11, 2015 18:23

Just tried this out and I must say I'm pleasantly suprised, it's quite good.

- The 'special' ore in the smelter room is a great idea.
- The castle looks quite nice.
- There are some minor spelling errors in the english version.
- I collected the first gold bar at the bottom of the pool. This made the message about collecting the gold bars pop up while under water. A slow reader might drown in that situation.
- It's possible to remove some of the viscuous liquids by redirecting the waterfall, placing blocks and letting the water flow into the hole. Ofc, this is probably not something newbies would try out :)

Ferk

by Ferk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 18:19

Wuzzy wrote:if someone else does this packaging stuff nice and cleanly, I probably accept it as well.

I went ahead and implemented the map generation. I hope it's clean enough: https://github.com/Ferk/minetest_tutorial/

the logic is entirely in mods/tutorial/mapgen.lua with some small changes in the init.lua for the first_join spawning.

I added two chat commands for, respectively, saving and loading any changes to the map (though I didn't find a proper way to detect removed entities, so saving only works incrementally for now...).

I used worldedit, but only the base of worldedit is needed (I committed it into the game), no need to include the whole worldedit modpack. It should also be possible to implement the save/load separately without using worldedit, though.

The map data is compressed down to only 141kb so it's s much smaller download than distributing the whole world. Hopefully this would help this game getting bundled with minetest.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 00:30

Exilyth wrote:- There are some minor spelling errors in the english version.

Point them out or they'll never get fixed. Muhahahaha! xD

- I collected the first gold bar at the bottom of the pool. This made the message about collecting the gold bars pop up while under water. A slow reader might drown in that situation.

Well, death is considered in this tutorial, you simply respawn in a special location. It's still stupid to die while reading the text, because the text is then gone forever.
I have to think of a special handling if the player is submerged while collecting the first gold bar. Hmm …

- It's possible to remove some of the viscuous liquids by redirecting the waterfall, placing blocks and letting the water flow into the hole. Ofc, this is probably not something newbies would try out :)

Well, Minetest pretty much agressively allows the player to build everything everywhere. Minetest is still very sandbox-centric.

What I could do is to add some “protected” areas and only allow to build or mine in special designated areas. And maybe lift this restiction as soon as all gold bars have been collected.

But I don't consider this problem to be of high priority, actually. Sure, it would be nice if the learner could not screw up Tutorial World too much. But on the other hand, from the moment on the learner can screw up Tutorial World, the learner probably learned quite some stuff, already. :) The biggest problem is still that of resetting, of course. But that problem might soon be solved, which leads me to:

Ferk wrote:I went ahead and implemented the map generation. I hope it's clean enough: https://github.com/Ferk/minetest_tutorial/

Thanks for your contribution. No, your contribution is not clean enough. The first room has light/shadow issues. This is a no-go for me.

Look here:
https://i.imgur.com/ZWSJ9Bc.png

My first guess is that the light is first calculated for the only chunk the player sees at the beginning (because only staring at the wall). At the time the player turns around, new chunks are loaded (A chunk border goes right through the first room), and that might mess up the light. I don't know shit about map generation, so this is just a wild guess.

Can you please try to fix this light issue or find an explanation why this is happening?

Also, could you please give a brief explanation of your new chat commands?
How do I properly save/load? Why is there “save” and “save_entities”? Why is there no “load” command? Is there a command to load/reset the entities?
I need to know this so a) I can edit the map by myselves and b) I can properly document it for other people.

I like the fact that the compressed Zip archive is already below the magic 1 MiB barrier. With LZMA it could probably be even made smaller.
What gives me a bit of a headache is the fact that you just included a full copy of WorldEdit. The problem lies not in its size, but in the fact that I still have to manage it in the repository and probably update it from time to time. And that the editor is included with the object that is subject to editing itself. That gives me the biggest headache. It would be better if the editing environment is loadable as an independent mod, so I (or any other map maker) could update WorldEdit independently.

Maybe I could try to take WorldEdit and to radically simplify it so it only includes the functions the Tutorial subgame actually uses. Also better to rename it then, so that the actual WorldEdit can simply be loaded like any other mod without collisions.

Overall, I guess it will be time for an update to version 1.9.0 in the near future, after a long time of no updates. Minetest 0.4.13 brought some new features which deserve a mention, other people are willing to contribute stuff. Nice stuff is onging indeed. :-)

The following new Minetest features are not explained in the Tutorial yet:
  • Cinematic Mode
  • Minimap (but explaining radar mode on the relatively flat Tutorial World might be tricky)
  • List rings
  • Bouncy blocks are not new, but they were broken and now they finally work
  • (post more important core features if I forgot one)

A also have thought to add a brand new section to the Tutorial: Combat arena.
I actually tried to avoid this for a while, because that would mean introduction to mobs, which aren't exactly an engine thing.

But I have changed my mind. There are some quirks in Minetest's combat system which aren't all that obvious even after playing a while. Stuff like more damage if you wait between punches, etc.

Although Minetest comes with no built-in mobs or any predefined mob system, player-to-player combat is still a thing in the engine, and player-to-entity attack is also a thing. And since many mobs are actually entities, this would be useful yet general enough to not violate my principle of only teaching core concepts.
Maybe I add 1 static mob/entity (like a puppet or something) and 1-2 extremely simple moving mobs/entities (without including a full-blown mob API, if possible).

JTE wrote:Collected 11 diamonds,

Nice! I think you set a new record. I wonder if anyone ever managed to legitimately (without cheating) find all diamonds.

Ferk

by Ferk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 08:38

I was announcing this already because in your previous comment you said you were done editing the map, and at this point the map loads fine (except that lighting problem you pointed out, I'll see what I can do). But it's not yet ready for heavy editing. Though editing the nodes themselves should work with no problems, saving changes in the entities is not perfect.

Wuzzy wrote:could you please give a brief explanation of your new chat commands?

The commands are /tsave and /treset, the "tutorialmap" privilege is required to use them (though that's given by default right now).

"/treset" is the load command, though it can be renamed.

It's intended for both commands to respectively save/load both entities and schematics (both "save_schematics" and "save_entities" get called on /tsave), but like I said in my previous post, right now there's no perfect way to manipulate the entities table from Lua (only entities that have been loaded in memory can be operated with, and there's no clear way to determine whether all the entities of a given area have been loaded.. usually only the nearest entities around a player are). Because of this:

* "/treset" doesn't really remove all the entities in the map (neither restores the saved ones at this point), only the nodes
* "/tsave" will only save new entities that are loaded and didn't exist before in the data file. It uses the currently saved "entities" data file so that it still keeps saved entities that are not loaded. This is why I was saying that saving is incremental. Right now the entities won't be removed from the saved data when you remove them (I can't clearly tell apart an entitiy that's unloaded from one that got removed)

I was thinking of defining a radius around the player in which the entities are properly removed and readded (already there's a radius of 1 block around each loaded entity that will do the refresh). So if you remove an entity, saving the map when the player is close to the palce where the entity was will get it properly removed. But I'm unsure on the radius to apply yet (too big of a radius could potentially remove entities that were simply not loaded in the map). The default value that minetest can ensure the entities to be loaded is only 2 blocks, that's very short.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to manipulate the __builin:item definition to keep a table that caches the items that the player has dropped/removed. But I'm not sure how much of these entities is hardcoded and if it's possible to override the callbacks.

Wuzzy wrote:With LZMA it could probably be even made smaller.

That's not supported by the lua API. Right now I'm using minetest.compress / decompress which uses zlib. Still, I think zlib is a good compromise between compression ratio and speed. Probably LZMA would make map generation noticeably slower.

Wuzzy wrote:you just included a full copy of WorldEdit.

Like I said, it's not really a full copy. None of the user-visible functions from Worldedit are there. Basically only the schematic handling logic was taken. Worldedit is actually a modpack and I only included the mod with internal logic.

Your biggest headache won't be updating, it won't make much difference to update the code because right now it's simply not possible to use the full-blown worldedit mod along with the tutorial game, because the names will conflict.

It could easily be renamed. But I was rather thinking on experimenting with the functions from Sokomine's handle_schematic. She implemented a way to store metadata in a separate file and use the official ".mts" format. I have a feeling that using this would improve the map generation speed (also perhaps this would help with the lighting problems, otherwise I might have to find a way to recalculate the lighting).

I'm also unsure if Worldedit's AGPL license would be fine for LGPL minetest.

Wuzzy wrote:the editor is included with the object that is subject to editing itself. That gives me the biggest headache. It would be better if the editing environment is loadable as an independent mod, so I (or any other map maker) could update WorldEdit independently.

This could be done, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. You still need the logic to load the data for the map generation, so you could only take out the saving logic. And this logic will still have to depend heavily on the same parameters used for loading.

We could add a separate privilege for actually saving the map so that people won't mess it if you want to give the player the ability to reset it. Though you could do this with some special block instead of granting them tutorialmap privileges and asking them to use the terminal.

Or to make it even more esoteric, saving could require a parameter in tutorial.state that's disabled by default, so only if you manually edit your world's configuration will you be able to save.

Wuzzy wrote:Overall, I guess it will be time for an update to version 1.9.0 in the near future, after a long time of no updates.

That's nice to hear! I'm a relatively new player and actually I still don't know what the cinematic mode actually does or what "list rings" are... and I didn't know about bouncy blocks or that combat mechanic.

Wuzzy wrote:(post more important core features if I forgot one)

What about navigation inside a boat? You could make a small maze filled with water (or lava.. do boats float on lava? that would be interesting to know) and put a gold ingot at the end. A maze would also be a nice way to introduce the minimap.

Some mods have other controllable transportation methods, like horses, that work with pretty similar controls as the boat, so it might be nice for new players to learn to use it.

I'm not sure but maybe the user should know as well about crafting locked chests and what it being locked means, since this is in minetest_game and it's handy if going for multiplayer. Thought it's not useful for singleplayer, and might be hard to showcase it.. so maybe it's not a good idea on second thought.

But you could perhaps include a locked chest "owned by Wuzzy" and add a sign saying "sorry, you can't open this chest because it belongs to someone else" :P

Wuzzy wrote:brand new section to the Tutorial: Combat arena.

That looks quite exciting. You could give the player a bow and teach them to shoot at some simple moving targets. Then add a static training decoy with a health bar (lott has this) so we can see how much health a blow removes.

I could try and help with this as well.

Though since mobs are probably gonna lose health and die, it might make more sense to have a block that spawns them.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 15:06

Ferk wrote:I was announcing this already because in your previous comment you said you were done editing the map, and at this point the map loads fine (except that lighting problem you pointed out, I'll see what I can do). But it's not yet ready for heavy editing. Though editing the nodes themselves should work with no problems, saving changes in the entities is not perfect.

Oops, okay. But maybe just some extensions to the commands can help. I think I could handle the commands by myself.

Ferk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:could you please give a brief explanation of your new chat commands?

(…)

Okay, thanks. I think I might simply add an additional command to manually load the entities as well. To be called by the user after the map has been properly loaded, until I find some clean method to automate this as well.

Ferk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:With LZMA it could probably be even made smaller.

That's not supported by the lua API.

I was referring to the final archive, not the internally used compression. But if the data is already heavily compressed, there might not be a huge gain in using LZMA, I guess. Whatever, it is not that important.

I'm also unsure if Worldedit's AGPL license would be fine for LGPL minetest.

Compatible.

WorldEdit: AGPLv3
Minetest: LGPLv2.1 or later
http://www.gnu.org about license compability: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq#AllCompatibility

Ferk wrote:We could add a separate privilege for actually saving the map so that people won't mess it if you want to give the player the ability to reset it. Though you could do this with some special block instead of granting them tutorialmap privileges and asking them to use the terminal.

Or to make it even more esoteric, saving could require a parameter in tutorial.state that's disabled by default, so only if you manually edit your world's configuration will you be able to save.

Well, I think I just go with the privilege, this is the most simple and straight-forward way.

Ferk wrote:What about navigation inside a boat?

No, this is specific to Minetest Game and not a core feature.

Ferk wrote:A maze would also be a nice way to introduce the minimap.

I don't think this is high priority, but I could add it as a “recreational” (read: optional) section, bordering to the mine. Since the minimap already helps you navigating through Tutorial World, so this is a good reason to introduce to it right at the beginning.

That still doesn't solve the problem of the radar, which isn't really obvious to use. For Tutorial World, it is all green everywhere (probably related to height, maybe it could be fixed by moving the castle up or down), also the radar could be explained much better if there is a large landscape. But if I add landscape into Tutorial World, this probably blows up the file size. :(

Some mods have other controllable transportation methods, like horses, that work with pretty similar controls as the boat, so it might be nice for new players to learn to use it.

No, this goes to far into mod terrain.

I'm not sure but maybe the user should know as well about crafting locked chests and what it being locked means, since this is in minetest_game and it's handy if going for multiplayer. Thought it's not useful for singleplayer, and might be hard to showcase it.. so maybe it's not a good idea on second thought.

But you could perhaps include a locked chest "owned by Wuzzy" and add a sign saying "sorry, you can't open this chest because it belongs to someone else" :P

Again, this is not a core feature.
Locked chests as well as the whole concept of “ownership” is specific to Minetest Game and its many derivates. Also, many protection mods have their own different concept ownership (Example: Just compare Areas mod and the protection nodes), so it would not be helpful to try to cover this in the tutorial.

Ferk

by Ferk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 15:58

Wuzzy wrote:Okay, thanks. I think I might simply add an additional command to manually load the entities as well. To be called by the user after the map has been properly loaded, until I find some clean method to automate this as well.

Oh, the entities are actually already loaded at map generation. Did they not work for you?

the /treset command only loads the schematics, because if it re-added the entities you would end up with duplicated items. Someone could just call /treset 13 times and get 13 gold ingots at the bottom of the pool.

The problem is that because I don't have access to the entities table (only to the entities that are currently loaded in the map) I cannot remove an entity that wasn't loaded by the map, neither can I know if the entity needs replacement. The entities quickly get unloaded when the players go away and I no longer have access to them.

Does someone know of a way to remove all the entities in the area reliably?

Though, if you want to limit this to a particular area with no gold ingots or such just to replenish the amount of entities in a particular room, you could use the function "load_entities_area(minp,maxp)" which will add new entities only in between the given coordinates.

But I have a feeling it would be best to just put the items you want inside of a chest. Chests get refilled when load_schematics happens (however, there's at least some chest you might not want to refill.....)

Anyway, if a user wants to completely reset the tutorial now there's also the option to just create a new world and everything will be generated again from zero.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Mon Sep 14, 2015 16:16

This might sound silly but I will say it anyway.
What if you made nodeboxes that look like the entities like the gold bar. Make it behave like a gold bar and when they pick it up it drops a gold bar. Not the best solution but if you can't get the entities to act right then it might work.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Ferk

by Ferk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 16:30

Don wrote:This might sound silly but I will say it anyway.
What if you made nodeboxes that look like the entities like the gold bar. Make it behave like a gold bar and when they pick it up it drops a gold bar. Not the best solution but if you can't get the entities to act right then it might work.

It could be a 2d block just like the torches are, this would work.

But a user could still take the gold node, call /treset and take a second gold node in the same place.
We would need to empty the inventory after a reset. At this point it wouldn't be very different from making a new world. If that's what we want, it would actually work, and it'll be easier for saving/editting.

Or if we don't want to clear the inventory just leave the gold and such as the only entities and don't care for restoring them. Keep any other thing we want to "refill" in chests or nodes. And if you want a full reset you can always start a new tutorial world.

The main problem with entities is saving them properly when editing the map. If you want to move a gold ingot from a place to another, you have to make sure it properly gets removed from the old location when you /tsave (and this right now is not implemented).

arielenter

by arielenter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 23:05

I made a video with the diamonds location in case some one is having problem finding them like I was:

+ Spoiler

What an awesome tutorial, thank you very much.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 22:49

Finally! It was about time that someone managed to find all diamonds. ;-)

Nicely done!

About the Tutorial:
I am not sure if I will continue work on Tutorial anytime soon. I am busy with a lot of bullshit right now. But I will probably inform you when I have finally started work again. But it doesn't seem to be pressing, the next Minetest release is far away anyways, I guess.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Ferk

by Ferk » Wed Oct 07, 2015 22:56

Wuzzy wrote:About the Tutorial:
I am not sure if I will continue work on Tutorial anytime soon. I am busy with a lot of bullshit right now. But I will probably inform you when I have finally started work again. But it doesn't seem to be pressing, the next Minetest release is far away anyways, I guess.

If you want I can improve the loading/saving of the Tutorial map using the same serialization that I wrote for Dungeontest. We wouldn't need Worldedit at all and use native mts schematics, I verified that they actually load faster.

But I'm still not sure what to do about the entities. Maybe it actually would be best to turn them into nodes like Don suggested, I believe it might be possible to make them be virtually indistinguishable from item entities. Your call.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 17:26

Ferk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:About the Tutorial:

If you want I can improve the loading/saving of the Tutorial map using the same serialization that I wrote for Dungeontest. We wouldn't need Worldedit at all and use native mts schematics, I verified that they actually load faster.

Yes, I want. That would be great. Thanks for offering your help.

But I'm still not sure what to do about the entities. Maybe it actually would be best to turn them into nodes like Don suggested, I believe it might be possible to make them be virtually indistinguishable from item entities. Your call.

Don't worry too much about entities for now, I think I can handle them on my own. I want to keep the entities and don't want to fake them with nodes or whatever. My idea is to load the map in two steps: First load the schematic completely, then load and place the entities. I'd be glad you'll help me with the schematic part, but I guess I can do the entity part alone.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Ferk

by Ferk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 22:00

Sorry for the delay, I run into some problems when using the mts files. However, with the help of some new features from the new version of the minetest engine (thanks paramat!), the Tutorial world generation should now generate a bit faster, it has no lightning issues and it doesn't depend or use worldedit at all.

It does require the latest minetest development version. It might not work properly with the current stable minetest client.
https://github.com/Ferk/minetest_tutorial

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases