[Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.2.0]

leeminer

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.6.0]

by leeminer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 00:47

Wuzzy wrote:Lol, the tutorial is like the training level of Half-Life? Oh, that’s a complete coincidence! I never played Half-Life.

I think the subforum “Bugs and Problems” would be the closest one for newbies:
viewforum.php?f=6

Oh, and I hope I can find a solution for the tutorial-breaking bug soon. I will make some more research on that.

Edit:
With help in IRC, I guess I have found the source of the problem reported by celeron55: I have set item_entity_ttl to -1 (meaning items shall not disappear) in the subgame’s minetest.conf. However, someone told me that in development version of Minetest reading this file does not work anymore. I have tested this and it is indeed true. This would explain the disappearing of items: Since Minetest fails to read minetest.conf, it uses the default value of item_entity_ttl, which is 900. I know that all item entities in Tutorial World are way older than 900 seconds, so Minetest immediately has removed them.

I have opened an issue, which is already tagged as “bug” by PilzAdam, here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957

So I hope if this engine bug gets fixed, the tutorial items should work in development version again.

Well not just like it. Just that it's a playable tutorial learing and applying what you learned.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 20:24

Good news!

It appears the bug about minetest.conf has been fixed and the Tutorial works for me again in Git revision e4e4324a30d6bcac5cc06c74e955e4941b14bd38.
And this means that items are not gone anymore in the tutorial, I have tested that. You have to re-install the world to test this for yourselves.

However, I have no idea how this bug got fixed, maybe by accident?
If you’re a developer, checkout the discussion here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sun Dec 14, 2014 20:28

Wuzzy wrote:Good news!

It appears the bug about minetest.conf has been fixed and the Tutorial works for me again in Git revision e4e4324a30d6bcac5cc06c74e955e4941b14bd38.
And this means that items are not gone anymore in the tutorial, I have tested that. You have to re-install the world to test this for yourselves.

If you’re a developer, checkout the discussion here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957

Great. It will be awesome to have this included in Minetest.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

leeminer

by leeminer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 03:48

Wuzzy wrote:Good news!

Don't tease me man .... very cool to hear!!

lansney

In-game: lansney

by lansney » Mon Dec 22, 2014 18:10

very interessting !! i wish this can be added in the future version !! :)
MT > MC

Wuzzy

1.7.0 released

by Wuzzy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 20:16

Version 1.7.0 released!

This is almost a pure bugfix release. I release it to clean up stuff for Minetest 0.4.11.

Changelog:
  • Update to Indonesian translation (thanks, srifqi!)
  • Rescaled the icon for better display in menu (The icon started too look weird in 0.4.11)
  • Fix misplaced formspec labels (Minetest 0.4.11 broke them)

I also want to inform you that the tutorial works just fine in 0.4.11. The bug reported by celeron55 was an engine bug and it has been fixed.
Attachments
tutorial1.7.0.zip
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 210 times

Don

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.7.0]

by Don » Sun Dec 28, 2014 21:56

+1
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

leeminer

by leeminer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 23:22

Good job! I look forward to seeing this bundled with Minetest for many reasons.

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:59

I get this error :
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/init.lua:
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/auth.lua:48: Invalid line in auth.txt: "singleplayer::"
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
11:51:45: ERROR[main]:    [C]: in function 'error'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]:    /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/auth.lua:48: in function 'read_auth_file'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]:    /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/auth.lua:82: in main chunk
11:51:45: ERROR[main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]:    /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/init.lua:19: in main chunk
11:51:45: ERROR[main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]:    /usr/share/minetest/builtin/init.lua:25: in main chunk
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========

Could someone help me ? Others maps works, and I don't understand what is wrong in auth.txt.
Very busy this year too, so do not expect me to be very active on the forum or in game. But I'm not about to drop Minetest forever :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 18:32

Gael de Sailly used a non-stable bleeding-edge version of Minetest. This is a bug in Minetest, not in the tutorial and it will hopefully be fixed.

If you use any developer version after 0.4.11 and experience this bug, there is a workaround: Simply delete auth.txt in the Tutorial World folder. Minetest will generate a new one when you load the world.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:29

I propose some improvements :
  • Adding the area mod ; I've defined 20 areas owned by singleplayer. The aim is not to learn managing areas, but only to tell the player where it is.
  • This concept of linked world and subgame is not handy. You have to reinstall the world if you want to restart. I've thought about making a mapgen in the subgame which will reproduce exactely the same castle every time. So we could simply delete the world, create a new one, and the castle is generated. I've tried to make it from schematics, the castle is fully generated, but there aren't objects and metadata.
    The number of objects and metadatas isn't huge, we can solve it from a list of objects and blocs which have metadata.
But i've tried it "embodying" a noob, and it's very good. The castle is welcoming, and I like the concept of non-linear progression, we aren't bored. This is exactely what we lack to attract new players. It would be nice to add it in Minetest by default.

( Sorry if my English is not good :-)
Attachments
Areas mod for Tutorial.zip
(22.96 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Gael de Sailly on Mon Feb 09, 2015 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Very busy this year too, so do not expect me to be very active on the forum or in game. But I'm not about to drop Minetest forever :)

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:36

I've forgotten another issue : it's not fully translated into French.
I'll translate it today.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 18:39

Gael de Sailly, your contributions are to the tutorial appreciated.

I have tested your modified areas mod and it works OK so far, aside from some minor issues:
  1. Oddly, the swimming section does not reach into the pool itself
  2. The label is drawn on the hotbar when the resolution is too small
  3. Nothing of the area mod is translatable so far
  4. The areas mod is quite large (100 KiB), and I probably must get this entire tutorial under 1 MiB to be included. Not an easy task.

I can fix issues 2 and 3, but can you please try to fix 1? Thanks.
Maybe I also rewrite the areas mod to fix issue 4, a lot of code can be safely thrown away IMO.

Gael de Sailly wrote:I've forgotten another issue : it's not fully translated into French.
I'll translate it today.

Thanks!

This concept of linked world and subgame is not handy. You have to reinstall the world if you want to restart. I've thought about making a mapgen in the subgame which will reproduce exactely the same castle every time. So we could simply delete the world, create a new one, and the castle is generated. I've tried to make it from schematics, the castle is fully generated, but there aren't objects and metadata.
The number of objects and metadatas isn't huge, we can solve it from a list of objects and blocs which have metadata.

This has been already discussed to death and I have stated several times that this is not going to happen. I rather expect the engine to do the work.
Discussion about integrating the tutorial into Minetest is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10312

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Mon Feb 09, 2015 20:03

Wuzzy wrote:Oddly, the swimming section does not reach into the pool itself

Fixed. I've updated the download.
I've defined each area by 2 corners of it, and forgotten that the swimming pool is 4 blocks below the floor level.
But I know I haven't forgotten it for Diving, Viscosity, Waterfall and Mine.

Wuzzy wrote:The areas mod is quite large (100 KiB), and I probably must get this entire tutorial under 1 MiB to be included. Not an easy task.

We can remove important parts of it because the only interesting feature is that the area is displayed.

I wrote:I've forgotten another issue : it's not fully translated into French.
I'll translate it today.

It's more work than I thought. And it's sometimes ambiguous. If there are francophones here, how do you translate "Sneak", for example ? Should I keep the English word ?

I've translated… maybe 30% , but I haven't spend all the afternoon on it. I'll probably work more tomorrow.
It's not easy to manage a lot of projects at the same time with one brain !

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 20:30

Please tell me all ambiguities you encounter, I will add comments to the template files for disambiguation.

“Sneaking” is a tricky word, because it actually is a special concept which applies to Minetest. It is almost some sort of technical term.
The most basic way to paraphrase “sneaking” in Minetest is simply “to walk slowly and carefully”, but not neccessarily silent (step sound still plays). The basic features of sneaking are exactly that: You walk more slowly, and you won't drop off edges.

Wuzzy

Version 1.8.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 03:24

Version 1.8.0 is out!

This version comes with the suggested change of Gael de Sailly, thanks!

The current section where the player is currently in is shown in the upper right corner of the screen.
It says something like “You are here: Start room”.
I have tweaked some of the areas and I have stripped down the areas mod to its neccessary parts only.
The section names are also translatable and have already been translated into German.

Note to celeron55: If I would have packaged this tutorial in .tar.xz, the archive would be < 1 MiB.
Attachments
tutorial1.8.0.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 24605 times

Don

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.0]

by Don » Wed Feb 11, 2015 14:58

It would be hard to get this under 1mb. Instead of trying to reduce the size what if the tutorial is not included but instead just have a link. In the main menu there could be a "download tutorial" link. That way you do not sacrifice quality and the user has the choice.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Wed Feb 11, 2015 20:49

Don wrote:It would be hard to get this under 1mb.

The problem is that the map is heavy (3.7 MB). The .zip compression is very effective on it, it reduces it to 549 kB.
I've thought about generating the map from schematics. I've generated 4 .mts schematics from which we can recreate the world (it works), and they take only 23 kB together (14 kB in a .zip).

I'm sure that we can do it !

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 22:06

I will not believe you until I have seen said MTS files. :P

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 13:15

Wuzzy wrote:I will not believe you until I have seen said MTS files. :P

If you really want it, they are there :-)

Just create a new world with Tutorial game and activate this mod.
Yes, there isn't any dropped item, the signs, chests, furnaces don't work, but at least the castle is there.
Attachments
tuto_mapgen.zip
(14.97 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 14:34

You would have to modify the parser to do that.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 15:59

Well, I am impressed that you managed to somehow squeeze the world into 21 KiB, not bad. Well, but some code has still to be written for the rest, sure.

Probably I will talk to celeron55 again to see if it is needed or if the packaged .tar.xz archive alone would be enough.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 19:44

I think that the map wasn't limited to the castle, and so there was huge empty chunks stored in map.sqlite.
The schematics are limited to (-32, -32, -32)(127, 47, 127) and they don't include the air.

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Fri Feb 13, 2015 14:34

I think there is a code to do that, but I forget where is it, sorry.
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

Green_Gear

by Green_Gear » Sun Mar 22, 2015 03:04

Now, I know you guys are going to yell at me for being stupid (if this thread is still being updated), but I can't get the tutorial to work.

The wiki says 'Download the tutorial package, the link is in this forum thread...', and I followed the link and got the .zip file. Then the wiki says 'Depending on your operating system, you have to extract the Zip archive in to the following directory: [Windows] into the main program folder in which you have installed Minetest.'

This is where I run into problems. Now, when I downloaded MineTest, I put it in C:/MineTest like was recommended. I put the unzipped tutorial in there, and then ran the program. The tutorial button didn't show up.

Next, I tried putting it in the minetest-0.4.12 folder. It didn't work either. Next, I tried the games folder. That didn't work. Finally, I tried the mods folder. That worked... but it just listed it as a mod under the mod tab.

Also, damage was on, creative mode was off, and I was trying to access it through singleplayer. Am I supposed to restart my computer after installing the game, or is this tutorial just out of date?

Thanks

Don

by Don » Sun Mar 22, 2015 03:31

There should be 2 folders that you unzipped, games and worlds. Those folders go into your minetest folder like you described. When you open minetest there should be a link at the bottom of the menu called tutorial. If the link is not there then you did not put both folders in the right spot.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:04

The “Minetest folder” under Windows should be the folder which contains minetest.exe and the folders “games” and “worlds”. If you have found this folder, this is the right place to extract the zip file into.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Sun Mar 22, 2015 17:52

That's why it should be in Minetest by default. It's difficult for a new player to install it properly.

Green_Gear

by Green_Gear » Mon Mar 23, 2015 00:32

Thanks, Don. I forgot that Windows automatically puts extracted files into their own folders. I opened the Windows created folder and put the two folders into their correct places. The tutorial is working correctly now. Completely my bad. Sorry.

Don

by Don » Mon Mar 23, 2015 01:07

Green_Gear wrote:Thanks, Don. I forgot that Windows automatically puts extracted files into their own folders. I opened the Windows created folder and put the two folders into their correct places. The tutorial is working correctly now. Completely my bad. Sorry.

That's great to hear

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases