[Game] Empty [1]

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Game] Empty [1]

by Wuzzy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 21:22

Empty is the smallest possible subgame. Empty is a subgame which has no mods at all, no textures, no sounds, no nodes. Nothing!
It only has the neccessary files to display the subgame properly in the main menu and that’s it. So only metadata but no actual data.

Empty is aimed at experienced Minetest users and modders. At the very least, you should understand the concept of mods, worlds and how to activate and deactivate mods from the main menu.
Although there is nothing in it, Empty is actually a very powerful tool. Empty can be used to activate and deactivate mods easily in the mainmenu without bothering about possible collisions from the subgame. Since Empty is empty, there will never be any collision with it. You can use Empty to basically click your own pseudo-subgame together or check quickly check how a set of mods works together.
Personally, I have used Empty serveral times for testing a bunch of mods, quite successfully.

Empty itself is of course completely unplayable.
When you start an Empty world as such, you will spawn in a world full of air and the console is flooded with error messages about missing textures.

You also should have stockpiled a collection of mods so that Empty can be of any use for you. Note that mods depending on mods from other subgames won't work in Empty, i.e. mods with a mandatory dependency on default from minetest_game. But if you want to test mods written for minetest_game, you should probably minetest_game as well. ;-)

• Name: Empty
  • Tested for: Minetest 0.4.11
  • Current version: 1
  • Mods: none
  • License of entire subgame: WTFPL

I hope I can you give some good examples on possible use cases for Empty some day.
Attachments
empty_v1.zip
Empty—A subgame devoid of content
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

jin_xi

Re: [Game] Empty [1]

by jin_xi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 22:07

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Feb 07, 2015 08:43

I expected a compressed directory with no files inside.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 09:05

No, it's not that easy. The file “game.conf” must be at present at least, otherwise the subgame will not be displayed in the main menu.
As I said, all the metadata is there, “Empty” refers to the actual game content.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:13

Here's a small game which doesn't work for windows, only for ubuntu (or similar, e.g. linux mint) users who installed minetest globally. This game should add approximately as many nodes as minetest_game does.
Attachments
mysmgame.zip
WTFPL
(392 Bytes) Downloaded 98 times

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:42

Hybrid Dog wrote:Here's a small game which doesn't work for windows, only for ubuntu (or similar, e.g. linux mint) users who installed minetest globally. This game should add approximately as many nodes as minetest_game does.

Nice idea. You created a fake directory which leads to minetest_game...
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Return to Subgame Releases