[Game] Pixture

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

Re: [Game] Pixture

by kaadmy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 15:49

Hmm, something like that might work, although there should be a way to completely disable/enable PvP in protected areas.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

DuDraig

IRC: DuDraig
In-game: DuDraig

by DuDraig » Tue Jul 19, 2016 19:26

kaadmy wrote:Hmm, something like that might work, although there should be a way to completely disable/enable PvP in protected areas.

That would be relatively simple. PvP damage in the protected areas could refer to a per-character state variable that can be set by the owning character with a chat command, like "/claim_pvp". The choices that affect how PvP is run in areas owned by that character could be:
  • "none" No PvP allowed.
  • "owner_safe" Only the owner is safe from receiving PvP damage.
  • "shared_safe" Only the owner and the list of characters who share access to that area are safe.
  • "all" All characters are subject to PvP damage.
  • "pile_on_admin" Only the admin can be damaged and they take 4x normal damage (No? You sure? Could be fun <chuckle>)
  • No argument would display the current setting.
"owner_safe" could be the default for new characters.

There should probably also be an admin only command like "/pvp" to set a world variable to globally enable/disable PvP that overrides the per-character settings.
Or you could just make the whole thing an admin only command that affects all protected areas so the admin has complete control over how PvP is configured.
I'm just spit-balling off the top of my head.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 20:30

I'm not even sure if MT's mod API allows for location-specific PvP disabling per player, so if it's even implemented, it'll be messy.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Tue Jul 19, 2016 23:27

kaadmy wrote:I'm not even sure if MT's mod API allows for location-specific PvP disabling per player, so if it's even implemented, it'll be messy.

minetest.register_on_player_hpchange(func(player, hp_change), modifier)
This will register a function to be run when the hp of a player changes and can alter the change amount.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 18:04

@DuDraig I'd guess that will have problems, because since MT's player health is client-side, then you could kill a person and die before the server registers it.
Not very sure about this...

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Thu Aug 04, 2016 03:30

I noticed that there are no villages or villagers in your public example server. When I tried my own server, I ran into the same problem. After a little investigation I found out why.

Your public example server and my test server used the same seed: the Minetest default 15332685192081464765. This is loaded by the villages mod mapgen.lua in an ABM with
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
if ((minetest.get_mapgen_params().seed+pos.x+pos.y+pos.z) % 30) == 1 then
   ...  -- Generate a village.
else
   ...  -- Delete the village spawn marker object.
end

The world seed and the position of the map generated village spawn marker object is used to id the marker, and a modulo 30 is used to cut down the number of generated villages. I guess the seed was intended to make sure any map generated with the same seed would generate the same set of villages.

However, the seed is loaded as a floating point number and most values will have an exponent so large that it exceeds the number of significant digits so that adding a few hundred or thousand from the position coordinates will not change the value. In this case, the seed 15332685192081464765 is loaded as the FP value -3.1140588816281e+018. This value % 30 will be 0. Adding any possible combination of Minetest map coordinates will result in the same value because of the size of the exponent and that value % 30 will always be 0, so every village spawn marker will be deleted since the test will always fail and no villages will ever be generated.

Since the map was already generated using that seed, it is not necessary to qualify the position coordinates with the seed value to generate the same villages for that seed. Simply eliminating the seed value from the ABM test and just adding together the position coordinates will always give you a value that you can test with a modulo value and generate the same villages for that seed.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
if ((pos.x + pos.y + pos.z) % 30) == 1 then
   ...  -- Generate a village.
else
   ...  -- Delete the village spawn marker object.
end

Unless there is some other reason for using the seed value of which I am still unaware. I hope you find that helpful.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Thu Aug 04, 2016 08:19

The nav:compass ... <cut>

I'm laughing too hard to explain. Just read the next two messages.
Last edited by DuDraig on Sat Aug 06, 2016 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 03:28

@DuDraig I don't think I've ever played Pixture with the default seed, I must check that out when I can.

The nav:compass is correct last i checked, the needle should appear to point the closest direction towards the North.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Sat Aug 06, 2016 07:46

kaadmy wrote:The nav:compass is correct last i checked, the needle should appear to point the closest direction towards the North.

I'm dying of laughter here. It never even occurred to me that anyone would emulate a needle compass.

When I was a kid, the only mechanical compass I ever used was a disc compass. The rotating disc had the directions and degrees printed in opposite order so that the pointer on the front of the compass always indicated on the disc the direction the compass was facing and not just North like a needle compass.

It all makes sense when you don't assume dumb things. <abashed grin>

tomlukeywood

IRC: tomlukeywood
In-game: tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 21:27

Great gamemode!

i wish more pepole would play on the pixture server though

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sun Aug 28, 2016 09:19

yeah it's empty.
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

echosa

by echosa » Fri Sep 02, 2016 15:13

What a wonderful game! If ever I show Minetest to people, this will be high on the list of things I show them! I found this game through neoascetic's nightly builds for Mac, and I'm glad I did!

I have a couple of questions, though.

1.) Is there anyway to stop the chirping birds other than removing the ambience folder? I'd even be ok with making them chirp less often. Once or twice every minute was starting to get on my nerves a bit, so I moved that mod folder out. (Luckily, nothing depended on it, it seems.)

2.) Is this completely an open-ended game, or is there supposed to be some sort of end goal/progression/linear-ness? I noticed that there's an achievements tab, which is pretty sweet.

Speaking of tabs, I really like the interface design! It fits really well with the cartoony textures. I have yet to find a cartoony Minecraft texture pack that I liked, and yet, when I saw Pixture, I immediately liked it. Well done!

I look forward to exploring Pixture a bit more, and look forward to aggressive mobs. :-)

Oh, and also... THERE ARE SKUNKS! <3

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 22:52

1. I thought I'd added ambiance sound options in the config, but I didn't, so latest git version should now include sound-specific toggles in config, but everything is enabled by default.

2. Nope, no goal whatsoever. This was designed to be an open-ended sandbox survival subgame. (And the achievements are a bit broken, so expect achievements to sometimes get reset, no idea why it happens yet.)

3. Thanks :)

4. I might add more mobs, but I mostly need ideas that will fit the artstyle and gameplay.

5. Yep, there ARE skunks :P I added them for a neutral mob that might be interesting for gameplay, as I was originally planning on adding Ink for books, which may come from skunks :)

hajo

by hajo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 13:51

I started a game of Pixture with the current minetest 0.4.14 rev. 8a7dc83 2016-12-05
and got a crash when I simply pressed the down-button in the craftingguide:
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'craftingguide' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): ...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:26: attempt to index a nil value
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]:    ...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:26: in function 'get_formspec'
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]:    ...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:132: in function <...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:88>
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]:    ...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 02:04

Fixed in latest git version of Pixture.

Melkor

by Melkor » Thu Feb 02, 2017 02:03

Hello! I'm trying your game right now, i like it, but i need to point some problems I've found so far:

(tested in Minetest 0.4.15 installed from the software center in Kubuntu 16.04)

Using the bed sometimes make mi character slide out of it by himself, if i don't click immediately in the bed again he keep going moving far away. The only way to exit of this mode is teleporting near the bed so i can click it again.

there is a lot of crashes, more than with the vanilla version of minetest some related with the restart of window manage called "kwin"

How do you make seed and papyrus grow? i placed some seeds in the ground (they didnt grow =D ) when i tried to pick up again they where destroyed, help!

are buckets o hoes in this game?
Thanks!

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 01:23

I've never heard of any crashes related to restarting the WM, that might be related to Pixture but probably isn't.

If you move while getting into a bed, your movement speed isn't reset, so you'll keep sliding, but unless Minetest 0.4.15 added access to player velocity to the Lua API I can't fix this.

Just place seeds/papyrus near water, there isn't a hoe.

Bucket exist, you can find them in the craft guide.

Previous

Return to Subgame Releases