It should be fine with 0.4.15
It won't work with earlier versions.
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242
dmobs2 is coming...

Robsoie

Re: [Game] LegendofMinetest [v1]

by Robsoie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 20:52

It's always possible that Minetest mod security is what prevent the game to load in your minetest :
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12471

That while designed to avoid problems with some possibly system damaging scripting functions may also be preventing some mods to run correctly if they're not build in the new mod security guidelines.

## Security
# Prevent mods from doing insecure things like running shell commands.
# type: bool
# secure.enable_security = true

If you have it turned to true in your current build of Minetest, to turn it off, you may want to add
secure.enable_security = false
to your minetest.conf, this should allow you to load mods that aren't loaded

That said, when playing i noticed a problem that occurs not 100% but easily 80% of the time i did it :
- create a new world
- after spawning, use the village spawner somewhere
- enter a house in which there are chairs
- right click on a chair to sit on it
- get out of the chair by right clicking again on it
- most of the time you'll notice you can't go through the door anymore

Switching to external view show the character slightly floating above the ground (you can't jump/sneak anymore).

Some people have reported a chair bug happening in xdecor too by example , maybe it's linked, though i never tried that mod :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12534&hilit=sit&start=250#p247959

D00Med

GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Tue Jan 24, 2017 21:10

Those chairs have a lot of problems. I don't know why it's started doing this, it used to make the player be able to walk around whilst sitting.
Edit: I might have fixed it, not sure :/ Also the chairs are in xdecor which is part of the subgame
Last edited by D00Med on Tue Jan 24, 2017 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
dmobs2 is coming...

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 21:13

Maybe it's some change in the minetest engine itself.
When the problem happens to me, only trying to sit again and using the jump key, that sometime allow to jump out of the sitting position, seems to re-enable me to correctly walk (jump and sneak too)

D00Med

Re: [Game] LegendofMinetest [v2]

by D00Med » Tue Jan 31, 2017 22:36

hmm ok, I might try to fix those chairs again.
Also the game has been updated, details in the first post.
dmobs2 is coming...

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 16:36

Minetest 0.4.15 crashed with a memory access violation:

2017-02-03 17:34:18: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Undeclared global variable "random" accessed at ...est/games/LegendofMinetest/mods/hyrule_mapgen/mapgen.lua:1861
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Commit ID: ff16aeaf497f83eae0c30b6dd978bf6ca670e704

Another bug: If you place a sword in the master sword stone slab, then remove it again, it is fully repaired.

EDIT: And it crashed again:
2017-02-03 17:36:52: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "physics_overriden" accessed at ....minetest/games/LegendofMinetest/mods/sprint/esprint.lua:121
2017-02-03 17:36:53: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "physics_overriden" accessed at ....minetest/games/LegendofMinetest/mods/3d_armor/armor.lua:220
2017-02-03 17:36:55: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Undeclared global variable "random" accessed at ...est/games/LegendofMinetest/mods/hyrule_mapgen/mapgen.lua:1861
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

EDIT 2:

- Many crafting recipes are broken, making apparently important items unobtainable.
- Many items have ugly names / poor spelling.

This game needs some serious quality assurance. It's not really ready for prime time IMO. If you would have said it is in beta stage, that would be OK, but I see this game is now in version 2 and in Subgame Releases. :-(
Have you tried [qa_block]?

EDIT 3:
- When you're paralyzed, you keep your momentum at the moment when you're paralyzed. Meaning, if you walked when you got paralyzed, you don't stand still, but move at a constant speed for a while. Very odd.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

D00Med

by D00Med » Fri Feb 03, 2017 20:06

These errors caused crashes or did they just show up as errors? That first error is from rotating a schematic. according to the minetest api:
'`rotation` can equal `"0"`, `"90"`, `"180"`, `"270"`, or `"random"`'

But 'random' is causing the error.
The second one I can fix.

I didn't know there were any crafting recipes broken. There are a few deliberately missing, and I know that there is a problem with crafting green dye.
Yes that's very annoying, it's possible to actually stop the player moving just by setting the player speed to 0 :[
I'm going to have to make a better way of paralyzing the player.

Edit: Is it possible to make the sprint mod work with playereffects?
Edit2: I fixed all of the undeclared variable errors, except in the hunger mod
dmobs2 is coming...

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 22:45

Thanks for fixing things. Those crashes can really ruin an otherwise good subgames.

Only the errors where I said it crashes do cause crashes. The other errors do not cause crashes.

Well, for checking crafting recipes, you can either click through EVERYTHING in the crafting guide (you will find uncraftable items and unknown items), or you use qa_check for automatic checks. Checking crafting recipes is very important especially for content-heavy subgames like yours, you won't believe how common it is that crafting recipes are incorrect.

Edit: Is it possible to make the sprint mod work with playereffects?

Maybe. I haven't touched playereffects since ages, to be honest, so you are mostly on your own. I think you have to change the way how sprinting is activated. Sprinting should fist check the existance of any speed effects such as paralyzed and it should only work if no such effect is active. I hope my mod has a wa
This is probably not the best solution.

(As changing player physics is a VERY common use case with playereffects, I might update the mod to include some predefined effect types to have at least some standardization and less chaos. This mod is in serious need of updating anyway. But I really, really don't like to, I have postponed this forever. Maybe, just maybe, this mod will see some updates when I need a better framework for MineClone 2.)

I haven't really given my opinion of this subgame yet. I really should write one. Well, I already promised to write reviews for other subgames *shame*.

I read this subgame has music, but I never heard any. Another bug?

By the way: What is the official name of this subgame? “LegendofMinetest” or “The Legend of Minetest”?

D00Med

by D00Med » Fri Feb 03, 2017 23:57

Oh ok, thanks.
Hmm ok, well I fixed the sprinting anyway. I thought I'd have to get rid of the physics_overriden variable to stop the error, but I didn't have to. That sounds like a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for any updates.
The music should be working, I just made it uncommon so that it didn't get to annoying.
It's just Legend of Minetest.
dmobs2 is coming...

lightseer

by lightseer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 14:27

Could you show me the best set of mods to put in for this subgame? I have a bug report in here, and I want to get this working. I have a feeling it has something to do with the set of mods or some basic setting in the mintest.conf. I must have some setting wrong.

lightseer

by lightseer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 16:35

Cancel that request!

ClaudiusMinimus

GitHub: ClaudiusMinimus
IRC: ClaudiusMinimus
In-game: ClaudiusMinimus

by ClaudiusMinimus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 17:14

I have created several worlds in singleplayer and have not been able to find any village. I am trying to setup a family server, but would like to have villages. I see lots of npcs, but no structures except for dungeons. Is there a flag that must be set for villages to spawn?
ClaudiusMinimus

Follow my blog at: ClaudiusMinimus' Universe
Visit me at the incredible Illuna Universe

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Mon Feb 13, 2017 19:28

ClaudiusMinimus wrote:I have created several worlds in singleplayer and have not been able to find any village. I am trying to setup a family server, but would like to have villages. I see lots of npcs, but no structures except for dungeons. Is there a flag that must be set for villages to spawn?
if you first start in the world you should have an item called village spawner you have to use that to well spawn the village I hope that helpes
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

D00Med

by D00Med » Mon Feb 13, 2017 20:16

villages do spawn in conifer forests and savannas too, but they should be pretty rare.
dmobs2 is coming...

ClaudiusMinimus

by ClaudiusMinimus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 16:03

toby109tt wrote:
ClaudiusMinimus wrote:I have created several worlds in singleplayer and have not been able to find any village. I am trying to setup a family server, but would like to have villages. I see lots of npcs, but no structures except for dungeons. Is there a flag that must be set for villages to spawn?
if you first start in the world you should have an item called village spawner you have to use that to well spawn the village I hope that helpes

@toby109tt, thank you for your suggestions. I have made several worlds and none have the spawner. Do you know the name of the spawner so I can get it via the /giveme command? I searched using grep for "spawn" and "village" but have not found anything in the code.
ClaudiusMinimus

ClaudiusMinimus

by ClaudiusMinimus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 16:10

D00Med wrote:villages do spawn in conifer forests and savannas too, but they should be pretty rare.

@D00Med, Thanks, I'll keep looking. Are there any other conifer forests besides pines?
ClaudiusMinimus

lightseer

by lightseer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 17:33

At the crafting table the recipe for a Volvagia Spawner has two things in it that show as 'Unknown Object'. I think they are supposed to be lava buckets. What is the best mod to use to get lava buckets?

D00Med

by D00Med » Tue Feb 14, 2017 20:43

Sorry, silly mistake. I tried to use "buckets:bucket_lava" instead of "bucket:bucket_lava". It's fixed now.
dmobs2 is coming...

lightseer

by lightseer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 17:15

D00Med wrote:.... It's fixed now.

Thanks!

ClaudiusMinimus

by ClaudiusMinimus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 23:13

ClaudiusMinimus wrote:
D00Med wrote:villages do spawn in conifer forests and savannas too, but they should be pretty rare.

Funny thing, even though I was using a local git clone of LegendofMinetest, I was somehow using a v1 branch so I did not see the v2 updates. When I fixed my local settings, I could then pull in v2 and now I have villages. However, I have noticed villages spawning in strange places, under cliffs, free-standing (the lower saved edges of the village above the ground), multiple villages placed in neighboring chunks. Also, the lava biome has many leaking obsidian lava pools. I still love the game, though I wish updating a v1 world to v2 did not corrupt the world and leave many unknown nodes in the wake.
ClaudiusMinimus

D00Med

by D00Med » Sat Feb 25, 2017 20:49

Yeah the mapgen is a bit crazy at the moment. It will be fixed eventually.
Sorry about that, I think it's worth it though, the old version was a mess(a better working mess maybe).
dmobs2 is coming...

ClaudiusMinimus

by ClaudiusMinimus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 00:13

I am trying to get a server setup for my family and I love what I have seen so far, despite some of the mapgen issues previously discussed. Likely, I will ask Milan on Illuna.rocks to host it for me. I have been creating different local test worlds using both v6 and V7 mapgen and using fast/fly to quickly explore these worlds, in order to get the best map for my family. It seems the game is designed for V7, since it is easier to find villages, buildings, temple, and dungeons. The mapgen for V7 of course is more artistic, though as you indicated before it is a bit of a mess. The real issue for me is I have not been able to find a single desert biome in V7. The only place I have found desert cobble was in the V7 lava biome. I really need the materials from the desert biome for many things I want to do. While the V6 desert biome is nice, but non-desert V6 biomes are not as diverse and interesting as V7. Also, V6 seems to be missing many game features as I have already mentioned.

Are there deserts in V7? If so, do you have a good seed I can test? If not, how can deserts be added? From what I have seen in the code, I wonder if the absence of deserts in V7 has to do with the weather mod and the fact that there is so much rain and snow. I would greatly appreciate and help or suggestions.
ClaudiusMinimus

D00Med

by D00Med » Wed Mar 01, 2017 00:52

This is something I've been having a bit of trouble with.
There are supposed to be deserts, however I think that they might not be appearing as common as they do in other subgames because of the other biomes.
I had seen some deserts whilst testing so you might just have to look harder.
dmobs2 is coming...

ClaudiusMinimus

by ClaudiusMinimus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 02:51

D00Med wrote:This is something I've been having a bit of trouble with.
There are supposed to be deserts, however I think that they might not be appearing as common as they do in other subgames because of the other biomes.
I had seen some deserts whilst testing so you might just have to look harder.

That is what I thought too. Could the nearly constant snow and rain in loz affect desert biome mapgen in V7? From some of documentation is seems that a desert must spawn within a temperature range, which is not at all close to real life. In the deserts you have found, did it ever rain or snow there? The reason I ask is I have teleported up to 10,000 nodes during a rain/snow storm and it was still either raining or snowing at the new location, so it seemed the weather was constant across the map. Have you tried generating a world without the weather mod enabled? I wonder if that would help.

I hope to learn about mapgen and placing mts files as new chunks load. I hope to contribute to this very fun project. :-)
ClaudiusMinimus

D00Med

by D00Med » Wed Mar 01, 2017 06:37

No, snow and rain have nothing to do with mapgen (I am getting the impression you want it to be less frequent?).
The weather mod has nothing to do with mapgen, it's random.
dmobs2 is coming...

ClaudiusMinimus

by ClaudiusMinimus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 17:44

D00Med wrote:No, snow and rain have nothing to do with mapgen (I am getting the impression you want it to be less frequent?).
The weather mod has nothing to do with mapgen, it's random.

Rain and snow do not bother me. I'm originally from the US Pacific Northwest where rain is the rule and we have lots of snow in the mountains. I am new to understanding how mapgen works, and so from perusing through the code it seems biome temperature and the ability of deserts spawning might be related - that's all just trying to learn what is going on.

My only complaint about the weather mod is that the rain and snow will go through slabs and slopes as if not present.

I appreciate your patience with me asking so many questions. BTW: I am a retired web/sql developer and I hope to get involved in this project. I am also disabled, and therefore I am somewhat concerned about getting in too deep due to my neurological limitations.

One area of interest is how to place the mts files so they don't spawn in unexpected ways, like in a mountain side or temples with no floor. Would you be interested in having someone to help in this area?
ClaudiusMinimus

D00Med

by D00Med » Wed Mar 01, 2017 20:34

Ok, I will try to fix that problem with stairs/slabs.
Thanks for your interest :)
Yes that would be very helpful. I actually do have an idea of how to improve it.
dmobs2 is coming...

D00Med

by D00Med » Fri Mar 10, 2017 09:43

Update: the weather has been improved, it wont work through slabs/stairs(apart from dust), and the skybox won't be suddenly removed.
If anyone has any ideas on how the performance of the game could be improved, let me know.
dmobs2 is coming...

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 13:42

D00Med wrote:If anyone has any ideas on how the performance of the game could be improved, let me know.

I heard Minetest has some sort of mod profiler, maybe it can help you find bottlenecks in the code. I haven't used or tested it, however, so you're on your own.
And in general, map generation is usually the #1 performance eater. Use LuaVoxelManip for manipulations of large areas instead of 1000s of successive minetest.set_node calls.

I'm pretty sure there are other ways to boost performance but that's my knowledge for now.

D00Med

by D00Med » Fri Mar 10, 2017 20:42

Ok, thanks :)
dmobs2 is coming...

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases