[Game] Wasteland TNG [v0.6.4]

LNJ

GitHub: LNJ2
IRC: LNJ2GO
In-game: LNJ

[Game] Wasteland TNG [v0.6.4]

by LNJ » Sun Mar 20, 2016 16:06

The most of you already know that BlockMen has left Minetest and so all of his projects won't get any updates anymore. I want to keep this game up to date. :)
See https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7243 for information about the orginal game! (I hope that was clearly enough)

Story:

A long time ago there where trees, grass and the ocean. But that is all gone, everything that is left is a WASTELAND and YOU!

+ More Screenshots

How to play:

Your only chance to survive are the ruined houses you can find in the world. There you can find usefull stuff to survive: Food, water, seeds and even saplings. But you wont find that in every ruin. Some contain just food and just rarely you can find water or saplings.
Seeds can rarely be dropped when digging dry shrubs, wood can be get from the dead trees or from ruins.

Keep in mind, you must eat or you will starve. And hunger comes faster than you think.

Changelog:

Latest Version:
- Improved Fences (compatible with MT 0.4.13 and earlier)

v0.6.4 (30.04.2016):
- Updated some textures
- Fixed some minor bugs
- Added sheep and chickens

+ Older Changelog

Notice:

The newest version is only for Minetest 0.4.13 or later
I'm planning to rewrite the game on a Minetest TNG base. Wasteland is based on the 0.4.7-dev Minetest Game at the moment.

For this game you must use the v6 mapgen!

Download:

Latest Version (MT 0.4.13): (.zip), (.tar.gz)

Version 0.6.4 (MT 0.4.13): GitHub (.zip), GitHub (.tar.gz)

+ Old releases:

Code is on Github!

License:

Code: GPLv3.0+
Most textures: CC BY-SA 3.0

Playing without installing?

You don't want to download the game, but want to try it out? - No problem! Just join my Wasteland Server:
mt.lnj.li, Port 56765

Notice: This game is not finished yet. There may be issues, if so plz report them.

This post is based on the original Wasteland post by BlockMen: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7243
Last edited by LNJ on Sun Jul 31, 2016 17:48, edited 19 times in total.
My Minetest Modding Tutorials (German) | Minetest TNG - My survival subgame! (OUTDATED... :() | #ComeToTheDuckSide - we have privacy! | diaspora* - The free and decentralized alternative to facebook and twitter!

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Wasteland (Continued) [v0.6.1]

by Wuzzy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 23:23

It's great to see this continued. What are the new features in 0.6.1?
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

LNJ

by LNJ » Mon Mar 21, 2016 13:56

Wuzzy wrote:It's great to see this continued. What are the new features in 0.6.1?

I added a changelog spoiler. And nice to hear that. :D
My Minetest Modding Tutorials (German) | Minetest TNG - My survival subgame! (OUTDATED... :() | #ComeToTheDuckSide - we have privacy! | diaspora* - The free and decentralized alternative to facebook and twitter!

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Sat Mar 26, 2016 14:17

I was farming wooden planks and cobble in the ruins, when.....

-------------
Separator
-------------

15:12:11: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "HUD_ENABLE_HUNGER" accessed at ...mes\Minetest\bin\..\games\Wasteland\mods\hud/builtin.lua:41
creative inventory size: 185
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: .__ __ __
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: _____ |__| ____ _____/ |_ ____ _______/ |_
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: / \| |/ \_/ __ \ __\/ __ \ / ___/\ __\
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: | Y Y \ | | \ ___/| | \ ___/ \___ \ | |
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: |__|_| /__|___| /\___ >__| \___ >____ > |__|
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: World at [C:\games\Minetest\bin\..\worlds\Land of the Dead]
2016-03-26 15:12:12: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="Wasteland" listening on 0.0.0.0:58410.
2016-03-26 15:12:14: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game.
2016-03-26 15:12:14: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2016-03-26 15:12:14: ACTION[main]: Irrlicht: Could not open file of texture: character.png
2016-03-26 15:12:15: ACTION[main]: Irrlicht: Could not open file of texture: character.png
2016-03-26 15:12:15: ERROR[main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'builtin_item' in callback ScriptApiEntity::luaentity_Step(): ...netest\bin\..\games\Wasteland\mods\builtin_item\init.lua:140: attempt to index a nil value
2016-03-26 15:12:15: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-26 15:12:15: ERROR[main]: ...netest\bin\..\games\Wasteland\mods\builtin_item\init.lua:140: in function <...netest\bin\..\games\Wasteland\mods\builtin_item\init.lua:97>

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Mon Mar 28, 2016 15:06

Wasteland : uninstalled.
Reason : mentioned bug repeating in every world created.
Comment : Pity, that game had so much potential.

doctorfrog

by doctorfrog » Thu Mar 31, 2016 01:51

Yeah, this crashed a whole heck of a lot for me as well. I'm going to try out the older version and see if the same happens.

LNJ

by LNJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 22:46

doctorfrog wrote:Yeah, this crashed a whole heck of a lot for me as well. I'm going to try out the older version and see if the same happens.

I'm very sorry, but that isn't my fault. The builtin_item mod was added by BlockMen.
But I removed (its a cool mod but not necessary). Try out the latest version, should be fixed there.

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Fri Apr 01, 2016 14:29

doctorfrog wrote:Yeah, this crashed a whole heck of a lot for me as well. I'm going to try out the older version and see if the same happens.

0.4.13 Game version and v0.6.1 have the same bug. I tested them
:'(

LNJ

by LNJ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 14:46

JiCeyCraft wrote:

0.4.13 Game version and v0.6.1 have the same bug. I tested them
:'(
I have said:
LNJ wrote:

I'm very sorry, but that isn't my fault. The builtin_item mod was added by BlockMen.
But I removed (its a cool mod but not necessary). Try out the latest version, should be fixed there.

doctorfrog

by doctorfrog » Sat Apr 02, 2016 01:52

I'll check it out, thanks!

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Sun Apr 03, 2016 14:44

Wastelands V0.3.0 works fine. I have fun playing it.

Though, I would like to know how to add more MOBs in it. Would be a bit more challenging.
Thanks

LNJ

by LNJ » Sun Apr 03, 2016 18:53

JiCeyCraft wrote:Wastelands V0.3.0 works fine. I have fun playing it.

Though, I would like to know how to add more MOBs in it. Would be a bit more challenging.
Thanks

Why don't you use the 0.6.2 or latest version? There are zombies, oerrkis and ghosts included!

And also you can try out my server mt.lnj.li, port 56765!

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Mon Apr 04, 2016 15:16

Why I don't use 0.6.2? Heh, just because I have just noticed you've added it on the list, grrrhh! LOL

I hope it's working fine. *rumph!*
Ooookay : downloading.....
I will test it the hard way. You will have news, for sure. ]:)

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Tue Apr 05, 2016 18:33

Okay, here's my feedback about your new version.

It's working fine!
But....
I had to modify some values in Ooerki and Zombie, in their "drop" functions. There were calls for nodes that were located in wrong directory. Example : cotton is in farming when Oorki calls for cotton_seed (does not exist in Farming folder) and Zombie was calling for cotton in Defaut folder.
That's all for the modifications, there is no more built_in bug. I'm having fun.
Notice my smile? :D

One thing you could add to Wasteland :

Achievements get Mod
It could be programmed so that it would give real rewards and triggers events (examples : 1- if you succeed in farming plants, you receive xxx. 2- if you succeed greening the ground around your home, then a lost ruin city appears somewhere far from your home)

Also, survivor NPCs (builder, miner, female and male farmers) could appear, here and then, under particular circumstances and you could invite them to your area.

That way, Wastelands could become a real survival game.

Voilà!
That's only ideas, you do what you want with them.

LNJ

Re: [Game] Wasteland (Continued) [v0.6.2]

by LNJ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 15:47

I'm sorry for the bugs. I've copied them from TNG (it's already fixed there) and I currently working more on TNG, because I want to remake Wasteland (just base on Minetest TNG and readd the changes). Wasteland is based on the 0.4.7-dev MTG, so it's really outdated!

Thanks for your ideas! :)

doctorfrog

Re: [Game] Wasteland (Continued) [v0.6.3]

by doctorfrog » Wed Apr 27, 2016 18:52

Got this error a couple times:
2016-04-27 11:50:30: ERROR[ServerThread]: #Creatures: ERROR: Could not drop item 'farming:potato0'

LNJ

by LNJ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 07:41

doctorfrog wrote:Got this error a couple times:
2016-04-27 11:50:30: ERROR[ServerThread]: #Creatures: ERROR: Could not drop item 'farming:potato0'

Which version did you use? In the latest version you shouldn't have this bug.
If you have this error zombies won't drop potatos, but the game is also playable without ones. :(

doctorfrog

by doctorfrog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 16:27

LNJ wrote:

If you have this error zombies won't drop potatos, but the game is also playable without ones. :(

This is with Wasteland-master, downloaded Tuesday. Happened a couple times with default:coal_lump0 as well.

LNJ

[Game] Wasteland (Continued) [v0.6.3]

by LNJ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 17:20

doctorfrog wrote:
LNJ wrote:

This is with Wasteland-master, downloaded Tuesday. Happened a couple times with default:coal_lump0 as well.

Ah I read the code again and found the real bug...
I setted that there are random 0 - 3 items dropped. It's not possible to drop 0 items.
I fixed this for oerrki and zombie (only those drop items). Maybe see this!

Just update the game. And thanks for reporting! :)

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 18:24

I miss chickens?
The mobs are not complete!

doctorfrog

by doctorfrog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 20:08

LNJ wrote:Ah I read the code again and found the real bug...
I setted that there are random 0 - 3 items dropped. It's not possible to drop 0 items.
I fixed this for oerrki and zombie (only those drop items). Maybe see this!

Just update the game. And thanks for reporting! :)

Cool, thanks!

LNJ

by LNJ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 14:12

cHyper wrote:I miss chickens?
The mobs are not complete!

Yes, I know. And sheep are also missing. This is because:
1) In the original Wasteland sheep were also missing
2) It's not realistic that you put water anywhere, grass grows and then suddenly sheep and chicken spawn.

I could make a poll...

doctorfrog

Re: [Game] Wasteland (Continued) [v0.6.4]

by doctorfrog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 19:24

That doesn't strike me as plausible either.

You know how under some ruins, there's a basement flooded with water? Maybe there could be a rare chance that it's an underground grassy area with a few dwarf trees and a sheep or two.

xeranas

GitHub: xeranas

Re: [Game] Wasteland (Continued) [BETA] [v0.6.4]

by xeranas » Wed May 04, 2016 19:16

LNJ, you should avoid ask ppl for vote for things which you think does not make sense in the first place. Focus and leadership driving is what missing this community. Few more polls and wasteland will end up same as minetest_game just in differ name.
If there strong desire for some animals may be introduced mutated animal version which would be hostile.

The idea is great, keep it clean avoid stuff which does not meet game theme.

Daud

Re: [Game] Wasteland TNG [v0.6.4]

by Daud » Sat Sep 03, 2016 08:32

Was interesting for a couple of hours.

I found a ruin with a huge pool of water below it so with a couple of saplings and a wheat seed I was pretty soon set for food. Once the survival aspect was take care of the game lost much of its appeal as there didn't seem to be anything else out there to discover.

At one point a random sheep spawned and I got enough wool off it to make a bed then I could sleep through the night for even less challenge.

I got close to starving at one point but rotten flesh from zombies helps so much with hunger, possibly too much.

LNJ

Re: [Game] Wasteland TNG [v0.6.4]

by LNJ » Sat Sep 03, 2016 08:55

Daud wrote:Was interesting for a couple of hours.

I found a ruin with a huge pool of water below it so with a couple of saplings and a wheat seed I was pretty soon set for food. Once the survival aspect was take care of the game lost much of its appeal as there didn't seem to be anything else out there to discover.

At one point a random sheep spawned and I got enough wool off it to make a bed then I could sleep through the night for even less challenge.

I got close to starving at one point but rotten flesh from zombies helps so much with hunger, possibly too much.

I'm currently working (if I'm not working on TNG or AF8) on the rewrite of the game, at the moment dead trees and some other things are missing and the v6 mapgen still generates trees. But it is compatible with the v5/v7/valleys mapgens.
When these things are fixed I'll release the 0.7 and there also rotten flesh will give you less saturation back.

And if you have played a longer time with Wasteland (TNG) v0.7 you may want to see some more green again and you can just change the game to TNG and everything will compatible. Of course will be Wasteland v0.1-0.6 worlds also compatible.

I'm sorry, because I'm currently not very active here, but I'll promise you the 0.7 will not come - it's just a question of time. :D

And here you can get the dev-version: https://github.com/minetest-games/waste ... ee/0.7-dev

Return to Subgame Releases