[Game] Adventuretest

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

Re: [Game] Adventuretest [Alpha]

by BrandonReese » Sat Aug 29, 2015 19:43

A good strategy would be to build up a simple house with some supplies you might need if you die and cannot recover your bones.

I just pushed an update so leaves drop sticks, sticks can be crafted into wood planks, and leaves can be crafted into sticks. I also added stone and steel picks and axes to some of the stuff found in villages.

FreeLikeGNU

GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Sun Aug 30, 2015 00:34

BrandonReese wrote:A good strategy would be to build up a simple house with some supplies you might need if you die and cannot recover your bones.

I just pushed an update so leaves drop sticks, sticks can be crafted into wood planks, and leaves can be crafted into sticks. I also added stone and steel picks and axes to some of the stuff found in villages.

awesomesauce!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Aug 30, 2015 02:28

BrandonReese wrote:I just pushed an update so leaves drop sticks, sticks can be crafted into wood planks, and leaves can be crafted into sticks. I also added
stone and steel picks and axes to some of the stuff found in villages.

That's good. Even wooden tools might help to get started. I'm afraid the list of items found in villages may need a rework inside mg_villages as well. Without further mods installed, the content of chests is often a bit boring. But then..those are more or less poor villagers...they really don't have any gold bars lying around at home. There's a mod with clothes out there that might be a nice addition. At least it'd provide some suitable content for the chests.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Sane

GitHub: mt-sane
In-game: Sane

Huge amounts of experience orbs.

by Sane » Sun Aug 30, 2015 06:59

Hi there,

heaps of kudos!
I really like this game.
Cool that you've added the goblins.
I also like that you decided to give experience for doing things other than slaying mobs.

Imho there is a problem though with the experience gained by digging.
+ Spoiler: this contains details on how experience is awarded.
Red experience orbs pile up faster than I can get rid of them.
If you really think this is right I'll stop annoying you, and change is locally [edit] in my single player game [/edit].
Last edited by Sane on Sun Aug 30, 2015 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to stay me.

FreeLikeGNU

Re: Huge amounts of experience orbs.

by FreeLikeGNU » Sun Aug 30, 2015 17:30

Sane wrote:Imho there is a problem though with the experience gained by digging.

I've found a similar situation, not sure if it also has to do with digging:
+ Spoiler

Sane

Re: Huge amounts of experience orbs.

by Sane » Sun Aug 30, 2015 17:51

FreeLikeGNU wrote:
Sane wrote:Imho there is a problem though with the experience gained by digging.

I've found a similar situation, not sure if it also has to do with digging:
+ Spoiler

The experience thing also happens when you
+ Spoiler
Trying to stay me.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Sun Aug 30, 2015 20:13

Just pushed an update for the for the mining / building experience formula. Under this new formula at 100,000 nodes you will receive 17 experience per 100 and will have accumulated almost 9000 experience. Does that seem a little more reasonable?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Sun Aug 30, 2015 21:02

This will probably be the last update for a little while. I've started working on a rewrite of how all of the extra player data is handled (skills, energy, magic, stamina, etc...). Until it's finished I won't be able to push any updates (because I don't feel like setting up a separate branch for this). It may take me a day to finish the rewrite or it may take a couple weeks. We'll just see how much time I have.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Sun Aug 30, 2015 21:25

I lied, pushed another update to fix dungeon generation. When I restructured some mapgen stuff I accidentally removed the mapgen aliases for the dungeons. This will be the last update until the player data rewrite is finished.

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 21:53

Sweet! Glad for these updates. I have been making my houses out of dirt. It looks like a sodden roof sticking out of the ground.

I have also been following a WIP mod that will spawn towers with treasure in them, I don't know if this would be helpful or not.
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Mon Aug 31, 2015 02:12

another couple issues I found:
* placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.
* items left in a workbench disappear immediately upon leaving the workbench hud.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 06:27

FreeLikeGNU wrote:another couple issues I found:
* placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.

IDK how that was implemented in this game, but if that looks at least a little bit anything like the Magichet 1.1-dev toolrepair (on_craft), then the code to get improved tools should be changed.
Somewhere around 15th of June the tool repair stopped working because of the changes applied to MT.

Regards!

Sane

by Sane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35

BrandonReese wrote:Just pushed an update for the for the mining / building experience formula. Under this new formula at 100,000 nodes you will receive 17 experience per 100 and will have accumulated almost 9000 experience. Does that seem a little more reasonable?

I don't get why experience should increase with the the amount of digged nodes. Killing the hundredth mob does not increase the xp gained. So why should the hundredth dig? If there has to be a variation why not make it relate to the distance from 0,0,0?
Trying to stay me.

Sane

by Sane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:46

FreeLikeGNU wrote:placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.

I think this is intended.
When you start you can't craft good tools. Beeing able to repair the tools beyond your ability would defy the purpose of the skills.

FreeLikeGNU wrote:items left in a workbench disappear immediately upon leaving the workbench hud.

Although I think it's a bug I kind of like it.
This forces you to build a secure place around the workbench because otherwise if you are attaced while crafting you have to decide between survival and keeping the stuff.
Trying to stay me.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Mon Aug 31, 2015 14:45

Sane wrote:
FreeLikeGNU wrote:placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.

When you start you can't craft good tools. Beeing able to repair the tools beyond your ability would defy the purpose of the skills.

FreeLikeGNU wrote:items left in a workbench disappear immediately upon leaving the workbench hud.

This forces you to build a secure place around the workbench because otherwise if you are attaced while crafting you have to decide between survival and keeping the stuff.

If its intended, thats fine, then there should not be an output shown, nor should items be destroyed, yes?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Mon Aug 31, 2015 16:19

Sane wrote:
BrandonReese wrote:Just pushed an update for the for the mining / building experience formula. Under this new formula at 100,000 nodes you will receive 17 experience per 100 and will have accumulated almost 9000 experience. Does that seem a little more reasonable?

I don't get why experience should increase with the the amount of digged nodes. Killing the hundredth mob does not increase the xp gained. So why should the hundredth dig? If there has to be a variation why not make it relate to the distance from 0,0,0?

Mining and building isn't any different at 0,0,0 than it is in any other area on the map. Mobs get stronger farther away from 0,0,0. This isn't set in stone, there will probably be more changes to this formula as I continue to try to balance the game.

Sane

by Sane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 17:22

BrandonReese wrote:
Sane wrote:

Mining and building isn't any different at 0,0,0 than it is in any other area on the map. Mobs get stronger farther away from 0,0,0. This isn't set in stone, there will probably be more changes to this formula as I continue to try to balance the game.

Well mining isn't any more difficult for the 100th stone than it is for the first. But it is very well is more dangerous far away from 0,0,0 because of the more dangerous mobs.

Please excuse my prying. It's just that this rising xp thing just contrardicts all real experience I have with gaming. If the amount of xp awarded ever changed, for the same thing being done repeatedly, it always has been lowered rather the risen. It also contradicts RL, you learn most the first few times you do things.
Last edited by Sane on Mon Aug 31, 2015 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to stay me.

Sane

by Sane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 17:43

FreeLikeGNU wrote:
Sane wrote:

If its intended, thats fine, then there should not be an output shown, nor should items be destroyed, yes?

Hmm, might be bug too. I always thougt of it as an feature.
Trying to stay me.

Sane

by Sane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 21:25

I had a go at it and came up with a solution.
This will allow default repairs. Which should not interfere with the current game mechanics to much since there is also the anvil.

Issued a pull request to BrandonReese.

If you want to fix yoursef:
+ replace the 'on_craft' function in .../games/adventuretest/mods/workbench/init.lua
Trying to stay me.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Tue Sep 01, 2015 16:51

Sane wrote:Please excuse my prying. It's just that this rising xp thing just contrardicts all real experience I have with gaming. If the amount of xp awarded ever changed, for the same thing being done repeatedly, it always has been lowered rather the risen. It also contradicts RL, you learn most the first few times you do things.

I go back and forth between how mining and building should be rewarded. On one hand it's an accomplishment, on the other hand the repetition should have a lower reward after time. Maybe a hybrid of the two. Keep increasing the exp the more you mine/build but extend the time between awarding xp.

Sane

by Sane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 20:54

BrandonReese wrote:
Sane wrote:Please excuse my prying. It's just that this rising xp thing just contrardicts all real experience I have with gaming. If the amount of xp awarded ever changed, for the same thing being done repeatedly, it always has been lowered rather the risen. It also contradicts RL, you learn most the first few times you do things.

I go back and forth between how mining and building should be rewarded. On one hand it's an accomplishment, on the other hand the repetition should have a lower reward after time. Maybe a hybrid of the two. Keep increasing the exp the more you mine/build but extend the time between awarding xp.

That sound's like an good idea.
Maybe you could use the same mechanism that you use for player levels. Every time a player hits a new level in 'digging' you could throw a certain (if needed rising) amout of xp at the player.
Trying to stay me.

Mugnoz

In-game: Mugnoz

by Mugnoz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 20:35

Hi All,
I just advice days ago the problem with the workbench.. but can to be a faster way to "pulverize" usefull items... :)
Also notice some bugs on the online server..
- (for Sokomine) the smelter's furnace in the main village permit now to smelt ingnot on request (great!) but is also an infinite surce of coal lump.. if you give to he 1 coal lump you can 'steal' 99x coal lump from his furnace.
- bows do not throw arrows..
- one of my doors can be open but cannot be close because another player build a wall near the door ( 3 block away) and now I lose my ownership on the door !?

A question too: the doors in village cannot be opened if closed and owned by a player.. my doors (farm out of village) can be opened from anyone.. can i do somethings?

Regards

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Sep 03, 2015 21:00

Mugnoz wrote:- (for Sokomine) the smelter's furnace in the main village permit now to smelt ingnot on request (great!) but is also an infinite surce of coal lump.. if you give to he 1 coal lump you can 'steal' 99x coal lump from his furnace.

To my knowledge, that's a feature :-) It's the way the blacksmith works. The ones in the start village had trouble finding their furnace. I just "bought" the land, put a furnace in front of the nose of one of the blacksmiths, and now he cooperates :-) There are also enough mobs in that area so that they will survive spider attacks.

Mugnoz wrote:- bows do not throw arrows..

Try putting the arrows to the right or left of the bow. At least that's how it's supposed to work afaik.

Mugnoz wrote:- one of my doors can be open but cannot be close because another player build a wall near the door ( 3 block away) and now I lose my ownership on the door !?

A question too: the doors in village cannot be opened if closed and owned by a player.. my doors (farm out of village) can be opened from anyone.. can i do somethings?

Sounds strange. Try not to wield anything in your hand. Else the landrush mod may think that you intend to build in a protected area. It's important that there is a further protection mod for houses built outside of villages, but landrush doesn't seem to work well together with the villages protection system (which is very basic).
A list of my mods can be found here.

Mugnoz

In-game: Mugnoz

by Mugnoz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 21:20

As always thank you for your answers and... patience

eduardomezencio

GitHub: eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Tue Sep 08, 2015 17:55

Is this happening to others? It happens to me when playing adventuretest for just a couple of minutes, always

2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'mg' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...u/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/mg/dungeons.lua:114: bad argument #2 to 'random' (interval is empty)
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'random'
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: ...u/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/mg/dungeons.lua:114: in function '?'
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:355: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:335>

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 15:24

@eduardomezencio I have been having trouble with that mod, too, but I don't know if it is the same error.
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Wed Sep 09, 2015 16:45

eduardomezencio wrote:Is this happening to others? It happens to me when playing adventuretest for just a couple of minutes, always

2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'mg' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...u/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/mg/dungeons.lua:114: bad argument #2 to 'random' (interval is empty)
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'random'
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: ...u/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/mg/dungeons.lua:114: in function '?'
2015-09-08 14:42:31: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:355: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:335>

I haven't come across this yet, I will look into it and see what I can figure out.

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Wed Sep 09, 2015 17:33

BrandonReese wrote:I haven't come across this yet, I will look into it and see what I can figure out.

Thanks, Brandon. If there's something else I can send to help isolate the problem, just tell.

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Fri Sep 11, 2015 01:30

I think this commit was supposed to fix the issue, right? https://github.com/Bremaweb/adventurete ... 665b9126bc

I have tried it and it seems to work fine now. Thanks!!
Last edited by eduardomezencio on Fri Sep 11, 2015 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Fri Sep 11, 2015 01:45

I pushed some updates. Warning, if you update Adventuretest you will start over with your skills, level, stamina, etc... or it might not work at all on existing worlds. This update uses the new player data storage system and is not backwards compatible with the old way of storing extra player data and depends on the new player callback to set default values for a bunch of things.

I also pushed an update for the crashing issue. Since I couldn't reproduce the crash I can't guarantee that's the fix but based on the error I think I found the problem. https://github.com/Bremaweb/adventurete ... 665b9126bc

There is a bug with hunger and the new player data. I wouldn't recommend anybody updating just yet unless you just want to pull the changes in mg/dungeons.lua to fix the crash. The current state of the game is probably pretty unstable.

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases